PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Cold weather riding...

Ryun
12-03-2016, 11:00 AM
For general knowledge:
That clicking you hear since the weather got cold isn't from something fancy like the way temperature effects dissimilar materials, a sudden loose bb, or spokes being stiffer in the cold.
more than likely its the zipper on your winter jacket/vest..

Just sayin

Mzilliox
12-03-2016, 11:01 AM
or something stuck in your fenders, as it should be this time of year

thanks for the heads up

Tandem Rider
12-03-2016, 01:43 PM
Oh, I don't know, I think it might be from a pedal that got ridden through the river crossing "once". Could be...:rolleyes:

OtayBW
12-03-2016, 02:40 PM
For general knowledge:
That clicking you hear since the weather got cold isn't from something fancy like the way temperature effects dissimilar materials, a sudden loose bb, or spokes being stiffer in the cold.

Just sayin
Most any cold weather jacket worth its spit will have the zipper tucked neatly away under a windproof flap.

jr59
12-03-2016, 02:45 PM
For general knowledge:

Just sayin

Hey, it wasn't that cold this am.:fight:

Ryun
12-03-2016, 02:47 PM
A vest and arm warmers is cold to me these days

jr59
12-03-2016, 02:50 PM
A vest and arm warmers is cold to me these days

:D me too. Just having some fun at all of these guys having to ride in really cold weather. We have it pretty good here in Jax

unterhausen
12-03-2016, 03:17 PM
weather forecast was for 10 percent chance of rain. From my ride today, that meant 10 periods of rain in 3 hours. Could have been worse, it didn't rain much when we were riding into the massive headwind on the way into town at the end.

I'm doing a lot more trainer riding.

Tandem Rider
12-03-2016, 03:53 PM
Most any cold weather jacket worth its spit will have the zipper tucked neatly away under a windproof flap.

I prefer to have the zipper out where I can grab it and slide it up and down. When it's cold and hilly I run the zipper up and down continually to keep from getting wet with sweat.

OtayBW
12-03-2016, 04:18 PM
I prefer to have the zipper out where I can grab it and slide it up and down. When it's cold and hilly I run the zipper up and down continually to keep from getting wet with sweat.
^ I just don't have that problem so much with breathable fabric and wicking underlayer(s). I also attach a short (~1 in) cloth tie onto the main zipper pull to give me some purchase on the tab if needed.

Tandem Rider
12-03-2016, 04:46 PM
^ I just don't have that problem so much with breathable fabric and wicking underlayer(s). I also attach a short (~1 in) cloth tie onto the main zipper pull to give me some purchase on the tab if needed.

+1 on the tie, I know that later in a ride when I'm getting pretty tired that handle is a lifesaver.

thwart
12-03-2016, 06:58 PM
When it's cold and hilly I run the zipper up and down continually to keep from getting wet with sweat.

Today: 32°F, gray, dark sky and a 10 mph NW wind. Not much sweating occurred, even on the hills.

Good thing about wearing two or three layers of caps/gaitors... you just can't hear stuff like zippers. 'Course, can't hear cars very well either.

Volant
12-03-2016, 09:35 PM
Jim, that clicking sound is usually my teeth until I warm up!!

kramnnim
12-03-2016, 09:36 PM
Can't hear clicking with the earflaps covering my ears :hello:

smontanaro
12-04-2016, 06:57 AM
Going to watch a couple of my bike buddies race cx today (end of year champs). Prediction is for snow. I'll definitely listen for clicking zippers. :-)

oldpotatoe
12-04-2016, 07:10 AM
Or a creaky helmet cuz of all the crap you have to wear on your head.:D

Mikej
12-04-2016, 07:18 AM
For general knowledge:

Just sayin

Wait a minute, thought you were from Florida ;)! in Wisconsin, those klicks are your bones...