PDA

View Full Version : OT: Amazon Kindle

daker13
12-02-2016, 08:18 PM
I have a Kindle Paperwhite from 2012. It took me a few years to warm up to this thing, but I actually do kind of like it now. Especially for traveling, reading when the lights are off, etc.

I've heard that the recent Kindles are better than the ones from, um, five years ago. Is it worth it to pick up a new one? Or pay more for a Voyage or the other expensive one? Probably not going to happen, but I'm curious to hear what the brain trust thinks.

Tickdoc
12-02-2016, 08:37 PM
I have a Kindle Paperwhite from 2012. It took me a few years to warm up to this thing, but I actually do kind of like it now. Especially for traveling, reading when the lights are off, etc.

I've heard that the recent Kindles are better than the ones from, um, five years ago. Is it worth it to pick up a new one? Or pay more for a Voyage or the other expensive one? Probably not going to happen, but I'm curious to hear what the brain trust thinks.

Still have an old one (kindle) but I'm iPad only these days. It has become a part of me.

Ralph
12-02-2016, 08:52 PM
My wife has the older one, I have a newer one. Hers is a lot heavier, and seems better made. Can't tell much difference in how they work. They are cheap now. Maybe $69 for the Fire HD if you catch a sale. Like you, also enjoy reading and surfing with mine.

guido
12-02-2016, 09:09 PM
I have a 2012 Touch 3G that is still going strong. I like it best for fiction or something I'm going to read linearly. They still are not great for bouncing around in the book, although I guess the new bookmarks are better than the earlier versions...

seric
12-03-2016, 12:40 AM
I recently lent my paperwhite to a friend, and instead of asking for it back I upgraded to the Voyage. I couldn't convince myself to go all out on the Oasis.

The Voyage somehow feels significantly smaller and lighter than the Gen2 Paperwhite, even though on paper the reduced numbers feel insignificant. I don't notice a different in responsiveness or reading quality. I do like the choice of swiping or using the haptic buttons. I also don't really get much use out of the adaptive lighting functionality, since it lives next to my bed.

Slightly on topic, I really wish they would build a modern Kindle DX for technical manuals. I still use mine, but I've already been forced to replace the battery once, and I'd throw money at Amazon for a more responsive version.

daker13
12-03-2016, 08:22 AM
Hmmm. I was expecting to hear the newer kindles were substantially better in terms of reading quality, note taking ability, adaptive light... but I think I'm just going to stick with this old dinosaur. Thanks all.

ptourkin
12-03-2016, 10:10 AM
My older one slowed down and I got the new one. It's just a little better for most things and way more delicate. I have a couple little chips in the screen already due to my own carelessness. This never happened with the old one. If you're happy, don't upgrade.

adampaiva
12-03-2016, 01:20 PM
Not worth upgrading imo. Unless your battery life is really suffering, though it is fairly simple to replace that yourself. Just wait til you lose it or break it.

adampaiva
12-03-2016, 01:21 PM
PS I absolutely love mine. If you haven't already figured it out, if you have a local library to join you can likely check out books onto kindle for free and just from the web.

daker13
12-03-2016, 06:10 PM
PS I absolutely love mine. If you haven't already figured it out, if you have a local library to join you can likely check out books onto kindle for free and just from the web.

Yeah, I've been doing that. A few weeks ago I read James Salter's Solo Faces from the library, and I thought it was amazing. I'm a hiker, not much of a rock climber, but I found it a deeply moving book. I'm going to have to buy it.

Now my Kindle, the battery isn't what it used to be.

Tony T
12-03-2016, 06:17 PM
Consider a "Trade-in": https://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=10825010011&ref=ods_xs_d_eink_mt_seo&tag=googhydr-20&hvadid=75163701542&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=2286587815764528451&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_709510w2tm_e