PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone tried Lightning Cycle Dynamics Cranks?

dzxc
12-02-2016, 03:59 PM
Pretty lightweight, handmade in the USA. Seems to be a huge variety of options.

http://www.lightningbikes.com/cranks/

http://fairwheelbikes.com/lightning-carbon-road-crankset/

Although customer reviews like this one on their page really take away from perceived legitimacy:

“When I spend a good deal of money on something, my philosophy is that I had better see and feel a difference right away. That’s exactly what happened with the cranks. Straight away I knew they were so much more efficient and faster. The first ride was a 30 mile out-and-back ride. I know all the time checks at the various points and know my best times there. At the 20 minute mark I was 1 minute faster. At the 30 minute mark I was 90 seconds faster. At the 15 mile turnaround point I was 3 minutes faster!

“I averaged 19 mph at the end and I think my best average before was 18.3. All this without trying to hammer and go faster. I guess the efficiency and weight savings did it all. So far I have done 3 rides and am amazed each time I ride it. It feels like I have a continuous tail wind. One of the Cat 3 dudes tried to shake me off his wheel twice going to the finale and he couldn’t drop me. I was holding on without too much effort. Just amazing! My hat’s off to Lightning. Thanks.”

James

eBAUMANN
12-02-2016, 04:08 PM
yea that review sounds like sarcasm more than anything...

cinema
12-02-2016, 04:27 PM
they look awesome and i've been lusting after them for a while. have ebay alerts set and everything. go for it

ripvanrando
12-02-2016, 05:56 PM
I had a set.

sandyrs
12-02-2016, 06:21 PM
That review belongs in the library of congress.

radsmd
12-02-2016, 07:33 PM
Using their cranks on out Landshark tandem and really like them. Light, stiff, replaceable spiders in whatever configuration you want. Best setup for a tandem.

For a single, other options out there that are less expensive with no disadvantage compared to the lightning.

spartanKid
12-02-2016, 07:46 PM
They're the predecessors to the older version of the Specialized BB30 specific carbon cranks.

I have a set of the Spesh ones and they're fine. They're very customizable and with the different spiders and that's nice.