PDA

View Full Version : Magnesium for a pulled muscle?

MattTuck
12-02-2016, 09:12 AM
I have a stubborn pulled muscle in my lower back that just seems to not want to go away.

Someone suggested taking Magnesium for it (specifically, Magnesium buffered chelate).

Was wondering if anyone has any experience/suggestions.

I found a couple older threads about cramping that mention magnesium, this is not a cramp during workouts, it is a stubborn muscle pull that I've had for more than a month.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=193374&highlight=magnesium

ColonelJLloyd
12-02-2016, 09:25 AM
Careful with that mag, buddy. It's a pretty potent laxative from my understanding.

Not sure how this is related to magnesium sulfate, but my wife had to take that for 24 hours after giving birth to our son prematurely (preeclampsia symptoms) and she was so far from herself. It made her feel like complete doo-doo. The doctors' response, "yeah, it's pretty terrible stuff, but super good at preventing strokes!".

franswa
12-02-2016, 10:15 AM
I do use magnesium to some degree of success. Depends on how bad the injury is. I am allergic to NSAIDs so I have to rely on other methods of pain management. Magnesium coupled with Salonpas is my go-to. As mentioned above, magnesium is a laxative, but it's never done me wrong.

MattTuck
12-02-2016, 10:27 AM
Yeah, it's been a while since my days of chemistry. Magnesium citrate or magnesium hydroxide is the laxative, and works by somehow pulling lots of water into the intestines, probably to buffer the magnesium in some way. If I recall, you have to drink a pretty big dose of the stuff.

Edit: Just checked, you take like 2400 - 4800mg of the magnesium hydroxide in Milk of Magnesia.

Taking buffered magnesium in pill form (~300mg) shouldn't have the same explosive results, I hope.

ColonelJLloyd
12-02-2016, 10:36 AM
Doesn't sound like. Here's to feeling better.

Mikej
12-02-2016, 12:12 PM
Magnesium Glycinate with zinc piccolinate worked pretty well for me - taken at night and also helps me sleep better. You could try it - look up info on body builder weight lifting boards - those guys love something called ZMA - Also Magnesium oxide is what you need to stay away from - Also, magnesium reduces stomach acid, its best to take on an empty stomach to prevent food from flying through...

guido
12-02-2016, 12:14 PM
The other approach requiring less chemistry is to go see a good massage therapist.

Mikej
12-02-2016, 01:50 PM
Yeah, it's been a while since my days of chemistry. Magnesium citrate or magnesium hydroxide is the laxative, and works by somehow pulling lots of water into the intestines, probably to buffer the magnesium in some way. If I recall, you have to drink a pretty big dose of the stuff.

Edit: Just checked, you take like 2400 - 4800mg of the magnesium hydroxide in Milk of Magnesia.

Taking buffered magnesium in pill form (~300mg) shouldn't have the same explosive results, I hope.

That type of Mag actually relaxes the smooth muscles of the digestive system.

buddybikes
12-02-2016, 03:19 PM
Heat and don't stress it. hope it is just a muscle.