PDA

View Full Version : Help a winter cycling outdoor newbie!

Jcgill
12-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Hey everyone,

Admittedly i am a nice weather cyclist, i usually only ride outdoors when it is warm enough for shorts and a short sleeve jersey. Otherwise i mostly ride the trainer as much as i can tolerate all winter.

Just picked up a Scott Big Jon fat bike and looking to ride outside this winter in the Chicagoland area.
Curious to hear what you guys wear in temps 0-40 degrees F???

I am most concerned with footwear, as i have regular Mtb shoes and was wondering if neoprene covers would work or if I should get dedicated thinsalute winter mtb shoes?

Thanks for any advice!
Jon

Louis
12-01-2016, 05:07 PM
Not the answer you were looking for, but an answer just the same:

http://www.roguefitness.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/rogue_header_2015/472321edac810f9b2465a359d8cdc0b5/c/2/c20003-5-lg_1.jpg

vav
12-01-2016, 05:09 PM
Winter shoes. Fat bike = snow I suppose.

adrien
12-01-2016, 05:09 PM
I find the biggest issue is wind -- both from bike movement and the normal kind.

For me, Bootie shoe covers are fine down to about 20 degree, but that's on a road bike.

Lake makes nice winter boots if that's not sufficient, but I'd start with covers and a good pair of merino socks and see how you do.

seanile
12-01-2016, 05:12 PM
thermal skull cap.
buff neck gaitor.
neoprene booties if im clipless with wool socks that go above my calf. work boots if on flats.
snowboard mittens or lobster claw gloves.
clear work-site glasses.
other layers are pretty similar to if you were going to go hiking in the winter.

as for getting dressed, best tip i got was that if youre sweating with your clothes on indoors, you're overdressed. you should be comfortable enough to lounge inside with the clothes you'll be wearing while riding.

FlashUNC
12-01-2016, 05:14 PM
For cold weather gear, nothing beats Assos imo. Yes its butt puckeringly expensive, but its also kept me warmer at lower temps than just about anything else.

Oh and Craft baselayers. Those Nordic wackos know what they're doing.

But yes on winter shoes. I don't own a pair, but it seems the near universal consensus is the covers and other bits don't really do the job a good pair of winter shoes can. Makes a lot of difference out there if your hands and feet are in decent shape.

verbs4us
12-01-2016, 05:28 PM
Second endorsement for a second mortage to get Assos winter bib tights. You have to dress for the wind/temp combo. 30 deg with a 20 mph wind might as well be 10 deg. Everyone has a different metabolism and cold tolerance so experiment. I find the temp is in two chunks: One kit for 0 to 30; another for 30 to 40ish. Above 40ish, less concern and no booties. In deep cold, my feet are often the limiting factor and sometimes (low wind conditions) thin socks paired with chemical warmers and lightweight shoe covers works better than bulky socks and neoprene booties. I assume you have good hand covers? I like Sugoi or Pearl Izumi lobster mitts. Head/ear coverage a must below freezing, regardless of wind. Grease up your nose and lips!

merlincustom1
12-01-2016, 05:53 PM
0-15: nope
16-30: Assos fugu top and bottom
31-40: Some old Giordana's that are still going strong and an Assos Airjack.

CNY rider
12-01-2016, 06:11 PM
If you're really going to do this, go get the Lake shoes.
The Assos bib tights are great too, but if you don't have good winter shoes it won't matter.

Ed-B
12-01-2016, 06:20 PM
Essentially, I wear the same stuff I'd wear to go out on snowshoes.

I'd suggest that you look through your winter clothing and see if you can put something together with clothing you already have. Winter gear always goes on sale after the first of the year - which is just when you need it most. So I'd suggest that you get out with what you have now and see if that will work - and if you actually enjoy it, before you invest in more stuff.

If you have cross country or downhill ski clothes and gloves those would probably work. Ski/board helmets and googles can be better than bike helmets and sports glasses if you're out in the wind and storms, too. You can pick these up cheap later in the season, too.

As for shoes, I think most people ride flat pedals on fat bikes and wear winter boots or insulated pac boots.

The biggest issue I find is that it's easy to work up a sweat, and then you're wet, and you'll cool quickly once you stop. Layers are good! So keep that in mind.

gdw
12-01-2016, 06:21 PM
Are you planning to use your fat bike on the road or trails?

Schmed
12-01-2016, 06:23 PM
Congrats on the Big Jon - I just got one too, and love it.

- dedicated winter shoes - still only good for about an hour at 20 deg
- Bar mitts - phenomenal - just wear thin gloves and you are good down to 10 deg
- moisture management - hardest thing to dial in - need to shed all that moisture from perspiration, yet keep some insulating layer to keep warm. I bring a camelback with a shell jacket stuffed in it (and more) in case I get cold.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j192/schmed123/Bikes/IMG_4336_zpsdfmgomiz.jpg

rusty1200
12-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Sorry, but he has a fat bike that he is going to ride in the woods. Dont need to spend all the cash on Assos thermal tights. Spend it on winter shoes. World of difference. I have both road and MTB version of the Northwave GTX. No booties needed. I commute to work and rode a couple of days at 4 degrees.

JAGI410
12-01-2016, 07:25 PM
Race Face Chester flat pedals and the winter boot of your choice. If you must try to find a SPD solution, the Bontrager OMW is nice.

I hate spd in winter. Not everything is rideable, and dabs are more common. This usually means the cleats get packed with ice, rendering the spd's useless. The Same boot I shovel snow in, I ride in, and have hundreds of miles with this setup.

DarkStar
12-01-2016, 07:32 PM
Move to Florida:)

R3awak3n
12-01-2016, 07:35 PM
http://www.wahoofitness.com/media/catalog/product/w/a/wahoo_fitness_kickr_power_trainer_lifestyle_1.jpg

CampyorBust
12-01-2016, 07:37 PM
Unfortunately regular mtb shoes will most likely not work, at least not for longer rides. For a few month I did that but with skiing toe warmer in there. In reality you have another investment ahead of you, some proper winter cycling shoes that is if you want to clip in. then you have guys out there riding in their Sorels and flats. My Wolvhammer cycling boots were one of the best cycling investments I have ever made. Fatties Fit Fine!

exapkib
12-01-2016, 07:41 PM
I love riding year round. The quiet of a ride (or hike, for that matter) through freshly fallen snow is difficult to replicate outside of deep winter.

I second the comments about winter boots and platform pedals instead of cycling-specific shoes. So much more comfortable and less complicated. I use the cheapest metal platforms I can find (Nashbar, I believe) with my heavy winter boots.

In general, the colder it gets, the farther my apparel shifts away from cycling-specific gear.

Layers! The more wool I can incorporate into my layers, the happier I am.

A good balaclava goes a long way--when the temperature dips to 20 degrees and below, exposed skin is trouble.

seanile
12-01-2016, 08:49 PM
45nrth wolvhammer

http://45nrth.com/products/footwear?category=boots

http://45nrth.com/files/products/Wolvhammer-SH5428-01.png

Jcgill
12-01-2016, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the input everyone!

As for the riding, i am looking to go out exploring, corn fields, snowy paved bike trails, single track, rail trails, basically anywhere but on my kurt kinetic.

I probably have the clothing part down pat as I usually run during the winter, was just unsure on booties vs dedicated winter boots. The boots do look nice, just hard to stomach buying something that will sit 9 months a year during spring/summer/fall. Especially when i have mtb shoes already.

Guess i will try on some boots!

Louis
12-01-2016, 09:02 PM
45nrth wolvhammer

Interesting stuff, but since they don't tell you where any of it is made, and despite the cool Nordic names they use, I assume that it's all Made in China (or thereabouts).

mhespenheide
12-01-2016, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the input everyone!

As for the riding, i am looking to go out exploring, corn fields, snowy paved bike trails, single track, rail trails, basically anywhere but on my kurt kinetic.

I probably have the clothing part down pat as I usually run during the winter, was just unsure on booties vs dedicated winter boots. The boots do look nice, just hard to stomach buying something that will sit 9 months a year during spring/summer/fall. Especially when i have mtb shoes already.

Guess i will try on some boots!

Well, the good part is that they won't wear out any time soon... :rolleyes:

Another vote for dedicated winter shoes. To be honest, since I'm a diehard cheapskate, I just bolted some cleats into an old pair of XC ski boots with a plastic sole. Screwed right into the plastic. Worked well enough when I was living in Utah at 6000'.

And another vote for "pogies", the mitten-like contraptions that stay on the bars full-time. They're awesome in full winter conditions.

Mr. Pink
12-01-2016, 10:46 PM
Book a flight to Crested Butte, Colorado, the best fat bike scene in snow I saw in my travels last ski season. Many bikes for rent, and a lot of experienced people who can better advise you. Cool place, too.

Bob Ross
12-02-2016, 05:52 AM
tbest tip i got was that if youre sweating with your clothes on indoors, you're overdressed. you should be comfortable enough to lounge inside with the clothes you'll be wearing while riding.

Oh, definitely! Furthermore, the best tip I got was, if you're comfortably warm within the first 5 miles of the bike ride, you're overdressed.

(Admittedly this presumes that you're planning to ride for at least an hour. If you're just riding down to the local Starbucks and back all bets are off.)

AllanVarcoe
12-02-2016, 09:47 PM
Move to Florida:)

Better idea than moving to California! (Affordability wise)

dustyrider
12-02-2016, 10:18 PM
Oh, definitely! Furthermore, the best tip I got was, if you're comfortably warm within the first 5 miles of the bike ride, you're overdressed.

(Admittedly this presumes that you're planning to ride for at least an hour. If you're just riding down to the local Starbucks and back all bets are off.)

My tip: make sure you always start a little cold! I'm self taught.

cnighbor1
12-03-2016, 12:16 AM
layers of polypropylene work for me
In cold to be warm later I ride a bike with a rear rack On which I have trunk bag Has it get warmer I put extra layers into it
Feet in real cold Kayak neoprene socks work great
Than I have either a nylon wind vest over layers to block the wind
Hand I wear cross country gloves
Ice is a big factor
if you head out door for a ride ice can be a stop now factor
snow packed OK

cnighbor1
12-03-2016, 12:20 AM
If after your layer up add thick gloves a scarf etc and you can't move you have over done it
Just call for help and hope someone is around to get some layers off before you fall over never to get up on your own
I wear knickers and wool cross country socks
which I can push down if legs getting to warm clibing
poly underwear a must

acoffin
12-03-2016, 01:34 AM
I love riding year round. The quiet of a ride (or hike, for that matter) through freshly fallen snow is difficult to replicate outside of deep winter.

I second the comments about winter boots and platform pedals instead of cycling-specific shoes. So much more comfortable and less complicated. I use the cheapest metal platforms I can find (Nashbar, I believe) with my heavy winter boots.

In general, the colder it gets, the farther my apparel shifts away from cycling-specific gear.

Layers! The more wool I can incorporate into my layers, the happier I am.

A good balaclava goes a long way--when the temperature dips to 20 degrees and below, exposed skin is trouble.

I'm with you point by point. I always have a cycling specific jacket, but other than that anything wool is true blue.

I really enjoy cold weather commuting. It's actually pretty easy to maintain a comfortable body temperature, and the cold air is so invigorating. That being said, I typically don't ride more than 10 miles at a time in cold weather.

YesNdeed
12-03-2016, 10:30 AM
Looks like everything is covered ;) in the thread, but as mentioned previously, there is something quiet and special about riding in the cold and snow, solo or grouped. I only reserve indoor riding for when it's down pouring or snowing and I absolutely have to get in a train hour or two. Easy to say living in New Mexico though, I know I know. In short, my extremities are the hardest to keep warm, and I'm still trying to get my gloves right. I may have to shell out for some PI Amfib claws. But, this also means keeping the core warm. For feet, I have a pair of old road shoes a half size big, and put some extra socking in, along with neoprene shoe covers. And if it's extra cold/wet, I go poor kid in New England style and throw a plastic bag between sock/inner shoe. Yes, it is bulky and not ideal, but it gets the job done, and makes Springtime riding that much nicer. Up around your way, I would probably invest in some Winter shoes.

Mzilliox
12-03-2016, 11:19 AM
Lake winter shoes have changed my life. get a pair and stop worrying. Mine allo me to ride longer and farther than anything else. covers are a hassle and still you get wet feet in the rain. Lake winters shoes, not so much.

p nut
12-03-2016, 02:39 PM
Rode this morning. (Global Fat Bike Day!). It was 9 degrees. I had on a long sleeve shirt, some cheap wool sweater and a wind breaker. Stayed toasty warm.

For my hands, I've got those pogies, too, but I like mittens better. I sometimes find halfway through the ride, my hands are sweating. I can't take off the pogies but mittens are no problem. The best ones I found are also the cheapest. These are from a local military surplus store. The trigger finger is awesome for 1 finger braking.

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/6/625517_ts.jpg

p nut
12-03-2016, 02:41 PM
Rode this morning. (Global Fat Bike Day!). It was 9 degrees. I had on a long sleeve shirt, some cheap wool sweater and a wind breaker. Stayed toasty warm.

For my hands, I've got those pogies, too, but I like mittens better. I sometimes find halfway through the ride, my hands are sweating. I can't take off the pogies but mittens are no problem. The best ones I found are also the cheapest. These are from a local military surplus store. The trigger finger is awesome for 1 finger braking.

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/6/625517_ts.jpg

For pogies/bar mitts, these are cheap and effective:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0022ZJJSK/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1480797639&sr=8-1&pi=SX200_QL40&keywords=scooter+mitts&dpPl=1&dpID=41eIzl7pwQL&ref=plSrch

FEET: I also hate SPD's for snow riding. I use some wellgo flat pedals (C237 or something like that) and some insulated boots.