PDA

View Full Version : Tufo Tape Review: is it really that easy?

Mzilliox
12-01-2016, 12:00 PM
I like reviews, real ones from real people.

Here's a review on a product i just used yesterday for the first time!:banana:

Tufo Tubular Tape

I have decided to try tubular wheels for a while to see what the fuss is or isn't about. I researched all the methods and decided i would try the Tufo Tape first. the main 2 reasons were Justin Spinelli the racer and Luxe Wheels dude and our very own Eric from Ergott wheels. I figure if Tufo tape was the binder of choice for these 2 cats, its good enough for me.

here's the process i used:
http://sveltecycles.blogspot.com/2008/05/part-2-edgewhite-industriestufosapimzip.html
I was right!

I have a set of Hyperon Ultras that had no tires glued. Goal was to glue up a set of Challenge Paris Roubaixs. the 27mm offerings. sweetness

I used acetone to clean the tire bed on the rim. i didn't get it totally clean, as many directions ask for a scuffed surface. i figure the old glue will help things stick, but i still removed a lot of old glue and dirty/oils.

I put the wheel in an old truing stand and started the tape at the valve hole. i carefully applied the tape to the wheel as even as possible, making sure to massage the tape down as i applied it. at the end they don;t peel the entire bit, so it reminds you to cut off the excess at the valve hole to finish. i went over the tape a few more times to smooth out any air bubbles and inconsistencies.

The tires came to me pre aged and stretched, thanks Eric.:beer:
to mount, i put the valve stem into the valve hole and stretched the tire from the valve along the rim, working it onto the rim as i went. The tape is still not peeled, the backing is on at this point.
these tires are tough. they inspire confidence.

The tires mounted straight pretty much right away, I inflated them to about 30psi to see how they seat. I use my fingers to try and even out the seating, using the casing line as a guide. then i put it in the wheel stand and spin to see its aligned. one more move to align, i roll it hard along the ground, applying as much pressure as i can to help seat the tire even more. then another spin on the wheel stand. looks just right, so now time to deflate and pull the tape.

then check one last time for alignment, not that you are moving that tire now... and inflate to 90spi for the night...

done, and I'd dare say it was FASTER than installing a tube and tire. yup, it was faster. no mess, no glue, no problems. it was seriously too easy.
https://c7.staticflickr.com/6/5776/31213759382_57926bc704_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/PyfFcd)Glued Hyperons (https://flic.kr/p/PyfFcd) by Matt.zilliox (https://www.flickr.com/photos/41573599@N06/), on Flickr

So what did i do? I peeled the Veloflex 25mm tires off the Ambrosios and mounted up some 30mm Challenge Eroicas. Peeling the glued tires is harder than installing the new tires, thats for sure.

Just fitting 30mm tires under the fenders, these are go anywhere wheels!
https://c3.staticflickr.com/6/5500/31321689906_8b11f82ed6_h.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/PHMRbj)Glued Eroicas (https://flic.kr/p/PHMRbj) by Matt.zilliox (https://www.flickr.com/photos/41573599@N06/), on Flickr

So if you are on the fence about tubular tires, don't be, its much easier than they say it is. whoever they are anyway.

Now the ride is another topic all together, and i mean to investigate that later today!

brockd15
12-01-2016, 12:58 PM
Nice, thanks for the review. My first set of tubulars are waiting patiently for me to get around to cleaning up the rim bed and mounting tires. I went with Panaracer glue based on feedback I've seen, but nice to see how it goes with the tape, too.

El Chaba
12-01-2016, 01:31 PM
...and then there is the removal......

ergott
12-01-2016, 01:40 PM
...and then there is the removal......

I don't have a problem with it. Almost all the tape comes off the rim and stays on the base tape. Then I can pull most of that off too. Roadside changes are as fast or faster than people with clinchers.

Louis
12-01-2016, 01:57 PM
I don't have a problem with it. Almost all the tape comes off the rim and stays on the base tape. Then I can pull most of that off too. Roadside changes are as fast or faster than people with clinchers.

So what do you do for on-the-road flats, carry an old tubular with a bit of glue on it?

thunderworks
12-01-2016, 01:58 PM

So . . . if most of the tape comes off with the tire, do you carry a spare roll of tape with you on the road and do a full install when changing a flat?

shepxputnam
12-01-2016, 02:07 PM
I've always wanted to try this tape, it seemed like a really quick and easy solution. Too bad I got rid of my tubulars recently :(

El Chaba
12-01-2016, 02:07 PM
...some of the tape remains with the tire...some remains on the rim...and then what?

JStonebarger
12-01-2016, 02:42 PM
Has anyone tried this stuff for cyclocross?

Has anyone seen data on crr? Last time I read the fine print, tubulars only compete with clinchers re. rolling resistance if they're glued on very solidly -- like so much so that they're quite difficult to remove. So far I haven't seen anything about crr with tape...

denapista
12-01-2016, 02:45 PM
I started off in the tubular world with Tufo tape.. To me, I just didn't like the feel of tire roll when I cornered descending at speeds up to 50mph. I went to gluing and have yet to sense that feeling. The mending overnight process of glue, settles my nerves.

That being said, tufo tape is extremely easy and fast to use. The gluing process isn't lengthy as some sites would have you believe and it's a nostalgic way of putting tires on. The key to tubular convert is always buying tire pairs when you encounter sets on sale. It's not about how fast you change the tire on the road, it's the downtime to buy new tires and wait for them in the mail when you do actually puncture. That's the crappy part about tubular tires IMHO. They're super pricey and when you do puncture, you have to drop coin for an immediate set and wait for shipping. So stock up and you rid this problem. I currently have 8-10 tires all stretched, ready for the action!

ergott
12-01-2016, 02:55 PM
...some of the tape remains with the tire...some remains on the rim...and then what?

You can pull most of the tape off both and end up with a strip in your hands when you do. Only about 10% or less of the stuff remains on either the tire or rim.

For roadside, I pop an old tire that has some glue on it (from when I glued tires). I keep a tire lever stuffed into my spare tire and use it to help get the tire removal started. Once I work off about 6 inches I can get my fingers under there and pull the tire off as if it were a good glue job. Feels about the same effort as a well done glue job to me.

At home I remove my spare, install new tape and tire. If I can send out tire for repair at Tire Alert I do. They always replace the base tape anyway.

I always run sealant in my tubs so most minor cuts get sealed. Only large punctures cause for tire replacement out on the road.

FlashUNC
12-01-2016, 02:55 PM
Please post your thoughts on removal with tape when it comes time for that.

That ease up front you generally pay for on the back-end...

earlfoss
12-01-2016, 03:00 PM
I have had great luck with the tape. I used it on Bontrager rims in combination with Conti Comp 25c tires. I raced several seasons on this setup .

Installation and removal were hassle-free, and if you are really OCD you can use a heat gun to remove the very thin clear layer of tape that sometimes remains on your rim after 99% of it comes off.

All in all I recommend it.

My advice would be to use a tire with a cloth base tape like Conti tires have, and have confidence that the tire bed on the rim gives the tape enough contact (adhesion) surface with the rim and tire. It's very unlikely you'll roll a tire but is something worth noting.

These days I am running Zipp wheels and Veloflex tires. The rim bed of the Zipps seems to me to be more suited in favor of a glue bed rather than tape.

ergott
12-01-2016, 04:07 PM
Please post your thoughts on removal with tape when it comes time for that.

That ease up front you generally pay for on the back-end...

Read above. I already did.

FlashUNC
12-01-2016, 05:10 PM
Read above. I already did.

Wasn't referring to you, meant the OP. Apologies if that was the inference.

Mzilliox
12-01-2016, 06:05 PM
Wasn't referring to you, meant the OP. Apologies if that was the inference.

I did just have to remove a tire that as both glue and taped. now that sucked. I could do it in the field but wouldn't want to. we will see how bad just the tape is.

Ill cross that bridge when i get there... im carrying a pre glued spare for now. this has been a fun experiment for now, and if glue becomes the logical choice don the road, im open to it. For now this got me riding tubulars quick and easy like.

and man, i just got back from a ride on the Eroicas, it was lovely on pavement and gravel.

Louis
12-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Does anyone use Slime / Caffélatex / Stans in their tubulars, or just plain air?

ultraman6970
12-01-2016, 06:35 PM
Yes is that easy....

..........but... I dare you to make a review at the time you have to take those tubulars off the rims about if you are going to use it again :D

ultraman6970
12-01-2016, 06:40 PM
The main reason I dont use those milky products is because the time I used it the milky glue got stuck under the valve making a ball, the ball was so noticeable that i was hearing a screech at every revolution of the wheel, had to trash the tubular there was no way to fix it, im not the 1st one having the same problem. My best guess is that it did not run around the tube creating a coat and ran creating this ball mass of glue that wasnt dry at all. My experience is with tufo.

Just put 6 atm of air (like 100 psi) and with a bit of luck too, then you shouldnt have any problem with punctures.

Does anyone use Slime / Caffélatex / Stans in their tubulars, or just plain air?

FlashUNC
12-01-2016, 07:18 PM

Orange Seal, but just a dab. It helps but still carry a bottle in case things go South and I get a puncture.

GParkes
12-01-2016, 08:05 PM

Orange seal. Only caveat - if you use good tires that have latex tubes, you'll battle the sealant clogging up valve because of the need to constantly pump the tires. I wasn't thinking when I put sealant in my Veloflex Arenberg's. Have had to remove core and tidy up valve. But no flats (just jinxed myself).

oldpotatoe
12-02-2016, 05:27 AM
:eek:Does anyone use Slime / Caffélatex / Stans in their tubulars, or just plain air?

I use Orange Seal..have in butyl and latex tubes(Vittoria Corsa CX)..no issue, no problem.

Carry a preglued spare also, never a bottle of the stuff:eek:

I am kinda surprised at what people carry on a normal, on non dirt road, rides. Tools, sealant, all sorts of stuff. I carry a frame pump and a spare tire and a little metal tire iron...and $5..wrapped in a sock, under the saddle.

El Chaba
12-02-2016, 06:29 AM
Ditto this...I carry a used spare with no special gluing applied, just the residue....a pump-either a frame pump or an old Silca mini pump....I'm considering carrying a tire iron as my fingers just aren't 21 years old anymore, especially in the cold....

redir
12-02-2016, 09:43 AM
I used Tufo tape on a cyclocross set once and rolled a tire... Never went back to tape. Having said that I once bought a used tubular wheelset that had tires taped on and it was unbelievably difficult to remove the tire.

So I don't know, perhaps I got a bad batch of tape. But glue works, if aitn broke don't fix it kind of thing.

Mzilliox
12-02-2016, 09:50 AM
I hear ya all, and should have figured this would turn into tape vs glue sort of thing. I will most likely try glue next time, mainly to learn an try something new. But i figured for those of us ho are intimidated by the process, this may help get more folks trying tubulars. maybe not...

so yeah, glues great, tape seems to work too. it really was sinfully easy, like easier than a tube and tire kinda easy.

and like i said somewhere in here that obviously didn't get read much:
i HAVE REMOVED A TIRE WITH BOTH TAPE AND GLUE. it sucked, but i did it. and here i live to tell the tale.:beer:

Lewis Moon
12-02-2016, 10:02 AM
:eek:

I use Orange Seal..have in butyl and latex tubes(Vittoria Corsa CX)..no issue, no problem.

Carry a preglued spare also, never a bottle of the stuff:eek:

I am kinda surprised at what people carry on a normal, on non dirt road, rides. Tools, sealant, all sorts of stuff. I carry a frame pump and a spare tire and a little metal tire iron...and $5..wrapped in a sock, under the saddle.

Me too. Every once in a while I'll roll up behind a rider and wonder just what the hell they have in the gigundo under seat bag. I've only had to make the "phone call of shame" once in 25,000 miles.

cinco
12-02-2016, 10:04 AM
After seeing how easy Leonard Zinn installed cx tires using only this stuff, I decided to give it a try. Have a few races with it and no incident yet. I'm pretty rough on the equipment at 180#. YMMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAmmGDkyWow

Andy in Houston

dzxc
12-02-2016, 10:12 AM
I hear ya all, and should have figured this would turn into tape vs glue sort of thing. I will most likely try glue next time, mainly to learn an try something new. But i figured for those of us ho are intimidated by the process, this may help get more folks trying tubulars. maybe not...

so yeah, glues great, tape seems to work too. it really was sinfully easy, like easier than a tube and tire kinda easy.

and like i said somewhere in here that obviously didn't get read much:
i HAVE REMOVED A TIRE WITH BOTH TAPE AND GLUE. it sucked, but i did it. and here i live to tell the tale.:beer:

But why would anyone try tubulars? I understand for cx race wheels because they provide tangible benefits, but for the other 99% of riding, they're generally a pain, especially if you flat. Which is why I suspect identical rims being sold in the classifieds, but for whether they're tubular/clincher, clinchers sell quickly whereas tubulars stay listed for long periods and go for much lower cost.

Example: stormycloud's enve 3.4s, same model, one set tubular, one set clincher. Clinchers sold in hours, tubulars which took multiple months and several large price drops.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=194630

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=193010

El Chaba
12-02-2016, 10:20 AM
Actually, I find clinchers to be a PITA compared to tubulars....and tubeless just adds even more hassles...

Mzilliox
12-02-2016, 10:31 AM
But why would anyone try tubulars? I understand for cx race wheels because they provide tangible benefits, but for the other 99% of riding, they're generally a pain, especially if you flat. Which is why I suspect identical rims being sold in the classifieds, but for whether they're tubular/clincher, clinchers sell quickly whereas tubulars stay listed for long periods and go for much lower cost.

Example: stormycloud's enve 3.4s, same model, one set tubular, one set clincher. Clinchers sold in hours, tubulars which took multiple months and several large price drops.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=194630

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=193010

The simple answer is because i can and haven't yet. I don;t like to make these sweeping judgements based on what other people read and write, i like to try stuff out. So Im trying tubulars with an open mind. they may be nothing great, or I may love them. My first ride on the 30mm Eroicas was heavenly. finally felt that "Magic Carpet" ride folks speak of.

I swing classic flies with a 2 handed rod for steelhead. its not the best or most efficient way to catch the fish, but its the way i prefer to do it. sometimes life is like that.

tumbler
12-02-2016, 12:15 PM
[...] and I'd dare say it was FASTER than installing a tube and tire.

That's interesting, because every time I read the step-by-step instructions like this, it doesn't sound faster than installing a clincher.

ultraman6970
12-02-2016, 04:44 PM
The majority of tubular users is because we were using them back 25 to 40 years ago and more, back in the day clinchers just sucked till maybe 1990?? when the 1st set of descent clinchers showed up in the market, continental. No idea if there was other brands.

So you have guys that started racing at younger age 30 years ago, racing was exclusively tubulars... as i said before clinchers sucked. So you start using tubulars at 12 y/o then you get used to them, fix them, deal with the problems. etc.. In my team pretty much everybody but me used those continental clinchers I was talking about, I did not like them at all... too plushy and after getting two punctures in a week well you got the idea of what happened, other guys loved them.

The other big detail at least IME is that I retire tubulars because are just old, I get maybe 1 or two punctures a year... this year I have zero. My experience with clinchers is just the oposite... 5 to 7 times a year? That's pretty bad if you do the stats. Maybe I'm lucky? who knows... but if you do the stats of how many punctures the tubular guys have a year (w/o using repair milk inside obviously) versus how many punctures a year clincher users get you might notice a difference in the numbers. Not saying that is scientifically proven ok? but in my case and im sure many guys here will say... yeah... we puncture a lot less.

The other issue, $... 3x50 bucks tubulars, are bad as hell I know... but I never puncture those POS tubulars either till the carcass is showing up the threads, a normal clincher tire is at least 50 bucks (not on sale obviously) and you dont know what is going to happen, IME praying all the time that u wont puncture.

3rd part, some geniuses have the bad idea of putting way too much glue to the rims and to the tubulars, at the time of mounting the two they end up with glue even under the underwear. Then they complain about how messy it is to glue them everywhere over the internet. Is not rocket science but if you use a full tube (even a half is too much) in one rim... well... is clear that the dude haven't figure it out yet. BTW if you mount the tubulars using latex gloves is easier because they wont stick to the glue, discovered that by accident a few years ago. Many guys cant work w/o a manual so they can't figure it out at all.... with tubulars there's no manual because everybody does different things, u see different videos, are similar but not the same...

4th in my particular case... i started using clinchers here in the states because i was not able to find tubulars anywhere, some shops did not know what I was talking about, some mechanics never seen them either. Over the years moved all my wheels to tubulars, yea some wheels are sit for sale here for a while but IMO is not because are tubular wheels, the problem is that is not just go and come up with 1000 bucks to buy them. are 2000 bucks sets of wheels for 1000 bucks (making up numbers ok?) that is an awesome deal but is not just go and come up with that money and the other factor is that if you ask to other tubular users, they dont have junk in their arsenal of wheels. So is not just buy another set just because they need them. Is easier to find junk clincher wheels than find junk tubulars (maybe 1 set at ebay lsw or sometihng like that thread?).

flydhest
12-10-2016, 08:33 PM
Do people have a strong view across the brands of tubular tape? Tufo versus Carogna versus whatever BikeHubStore sells as CX tape? I just glued up a new set of tires yesterday--as always, not a huge deal, but I will likely try tape for my next set of wheels.

ultraman6970
12-11-2016, 02:30 AM
Dude, everytime I see your location is different hehehehe...

Tape is super sweet and clean but what a PITA to get the tubulars off the rim :) If with regular glue sometimes get tough, with tape is a lot harder... and when I say a lot... it is A LOTTTT :D

yancy0303
12-11-2016, 06:11 AM
Dude, everytime I see your location is different hehehehe...

Tape is super sweet and clean but what a PITA to get the tubulars off the rim :) If with regular glue sometimes get tough, with tape is a lot harder... and when I say a lot... it is A LOTTTT :D
I use the Clement branded glue tape. I had a rear blowout a couple of days ago and roadside removal was about the same as a good glue job.

........_o
......_\\ >,
....(_)/(_)

ultraman6970
12-11-2016, 12:12 PM
Havent use that tape... my expenrience is with the original tufo... and that thing was a nightmare... one time was more than enough to me :D

Have to check that tape you are talking about.

Neil
12-11-2016, 12:43 PM
In my experience (Velox tape) stripping the tyre off the rim was easy, but then the entire tub rotated on the rim, causing the valve to adopt a striking angle, when I applied the brakes as the tyre was at low pressure - Velox doesn't have a great deal of stick, in my view.

I stopped using tape and went to glue due to the roadside change aspect - I've had to change a tub on the roadside quite a few times now and being able to stretch the new one on, pump and go genuinely IS faster than changing a clincher. Having to carefully tape the rim, then get the tyre on, then pull the tape I don't think would be, it also means carrying tape, which isn't that happy to be strapped under the saddle with an old toe-strap.

I'm on the glue side on this one.

flydhest
12-11-2016, 01:11 PM
In my experience (Velox tape) stripping the tyre off the rim was easy, but then the entire tub rotated on the rim, causing the valve to adopt a striking angle, when I applied the brakes as the tyre was at low pressure - Velox doesn't have a great deal of stick, in my view.

I stopped using tape and went to glue due to the roadside change aspect - I've had to change a tub on the roadside quite a few times now and being able to stretch the new one on, pump and go genuinely IS faster than changing a clincher. Having to carefully tape the rim, then get the tyre on, then pull the tape I don't think would be, it also means carrying tape, which isn't that happy to be strapped under the saddle with an old toe-strap.

I'm on the glue side on this one.

Yeah, I have only ever used glue but was going to experiment.