PDA

View Full Version : Very OT, importing a pickup from Canada

cetuximab
12-01-2016, 06:36 AM
I just finished talking to a private party seller on eBay. He has a Dadge ecodiesel 1500. I have never bought a car out of state let alone across the Canadian border.

"Most vehicles made in Canada or the U.S. are not subject to duties. For foreign-made vehicles you will likely pay the following

Autos – 2.5%
Trucks – 25%
Motorcycles – No Charge or 2.4%
As a returning U.S. resident, you may apply your $400 Customs exemption and those of accompanying family members toward the value of the vehicle. After the exemption has been applied, a flat rate of 10% is applied toward the next $1,000 of the vehicle’s value"

I am wondering how much the import/customs/duties costs will be. If they are prohibitive, I can afford to buy a new truck to a dealer.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

ultraman6970
12-01-2016, 06:54 AM
U have to google it. But a good detail is parts, some stuff was specially made for canada and never made it to the US.

William
12-01-2016, 06:56 AM
Is this a vehicle that was sold by Dodge in the U.S.? If it wasn't, then you may not be able to register it or even bring it in until its (usually) 25yrs old.

http://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the-inspection-experience/import-a-vehicle/importing-vehicle-from-canada/#.WEAdzHc-Inc

William

pbarry
12-01-2016, 07:43 AM
That's a nice rig. Not sure it's worth the hassle, but I'm not familiar with bringing in a current model. There are U.S. dealers on eBay selling these at thousands below sticker. Might be worth a phone call or email to customs to get the low down.

In CO, the vehicle will need a VIN inspection and maybe an initial smog test since it came from out of state. No big deal.

William
12-01-2016, 07:57 AM
That said, there are some dealers in Canada who will do all the necessary paperwork for you so all you need to do is present the papers at customs when you cross the border.

William

Pierre
12-01-2016, 08:22 AM
for what it's worth, when I brought my car into the US from Canada (I was moving down there) all I needed to show customs was a letter from the manufacturer (Volvo in this case) stating that the vehicle met all safety/display requirements for the US market. If it did not (mine did not) I needed to produce an invoice for the work done to meet conditions. In my case my car only displayed speed in km/hr so I had to change out the cluster.

Since it was my first move into the US, I was able to bring in the foreign-made car but had it not been I would have been subject to taxes/duty which were not cheap (I recall 20% maybe but could be wrong).

Then you need to make sure you get some paperwork stamped so that you can show the local MTO office that it was "inspected by customs" and is ok to register in US.

cetuximab
12-01-2016, 08:06 PM
"Most vehicles made in Canada or the U.S. are not subject to duties. For foreign-made vehicles you will likely pay the following

Autos – 2.5%
Trucks – 25%
Motorcycles – No Charge or 2.4%

It is a dodge made in US.

No duty fees?
or 2.5% or 25%

HenryA
12-01-2016, 09:34 PM
"Customs broker" is the title of the person you should ask about this.