PDA

View Full Version : Regal Saddle on Madone?

Kingfisher
11-30-2016, 03:24 PM
Buddy lent me his Madone 7 series bike to try out for a couple of days. He wants to sell and I've never been on carbon before.

Got it home and went to mount Regal saddle....nope, saddle skirt is in the way to the proprietary seatmast. Is this the end or is there some way to mount this saddle on a madone?

ultraman6970
11-30-2016, 04:35 PM
Can you post a picture of the problem? saddle bars and clamps are like standardized since centuries ago, it should work IMO.

Kingfisher
11-30-2016, 06:00 PM
glider works ok, but look at regal, no way to get an allen in there??

donevwil
11-30-2016, 06:19 PM
This is a normal issue for anyone wanting to mount an older saddle with tall side skirts (Regal, Turbo, Turbomatic, Concor, etc.) to a newer post/mast with horizontal clamping hardware (Moots, Eriksen, Enve, etc.). Started a thread here asking for solutions, but nothing worked (cut down allen wrench, hex nut and box/open end, etc.).

I'm not familiar with Madones, but is the seatmast really proprietary? The only solution that worked for me (Turbomatic II saddle onto a Moots post) was to sell the recently purchased post in favor of one with vertical clamping hardware. Unfortunately I've no idea if a mast exists that will fit a Madone and has vertical hardware.

For me changing saddles was not an option, too many years and too much trial and error to open up that can of worms. Sounds as though you're of the same frame of mind.

Kingfisher
11-30-2016, 06:29 PM
I tell you what, if I really like the bike and end up purchasing it I will find a way to mount the regal, maybe cutting skirt or drilling small hole for an allen to fit in.

vqdriver
11-30-2016, 06:36 PM
Iirc i had this issue with a regal and i just manhandled the saddle to spread it out and fit the short end of and allen in there. I may or may not have even cut that short end of the allen down even shorter. What i do remember is that it was a royal pita to get it on but once it was on the post hardware pushed the sides of the saddle out just far enough to rub and annoy me. That was that. Hopefully that madones post hardware doesnt present the same problem