PDA

View Full Version : OT: Interesting picture on Walmart for tent stakes

Keith A
11-30-2016, 03:14 PM
So I was looking on Walmart's website today for some stakes to secure some lighted deer that we put out for Christmas. One of the options had a rather interesting picture for the "TriCC RL8431 Stakes, 4pk, Glow In The Dark". I'm not sure if this is a mistake, or someone having some fun...but the link below contains a picture that is NSFW...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/TRiCC-RL8431-Stakes-4pk-Glow-In-The-Dark/48573824

MRB
11-30-2016, 03:22 PM
That is funny, but I'd guess that it was a mistake, and NOT someone intentionally being funny.

I think the WM culture is very "corporate" and I don't mean that in a good or a bad way.

waste of legs?

Keith A
11-30-2016, 03:35 PM
Assuming it was a mistake, why would they even have a picture like that on WM's website???

David Kirk
11-30-2016, 03:38 PM
Those are longer than 10" for sure.

dave

cdn_bacon
11-30-2016, 03:38 PM
Assuming it was a mistake, why would they even have a picture like that on WM's website???

I would guess Walmart sells intimates

El Chaba
11-30-2016, 03:46 PM
I'm thinking of clicking the "order" button....I can always make a return if they ship the "wrong" item...

Keith A
11-30-2016, 03:49 PM
I'm thinking of clicking the "order" button....I can always make a return if they ship the "wrong" item...That was funny!!!

cadence90
11-30-2016, 03:49 PM
"Pickup options: Pickup not available." :D

Vientomas
11-30-2016, 03:53 PM
She can stake my tent anytime :)

gdw
11-30-2016, 04:41 PM
I'm ordering a couple of those, going camping this weekend, and will write a trip report when I return.

Dear Paceline Forum,
You won't believe.......:banana:

fuzzalow
11-30-2016, 04:49 PM
There is something about that item, worn not as pictured, but as might be worn by the typical WalMart consumer, that makes for an image most cringeful and unsettling.

P.S. 'Murica...Walmart gots ammo 'lotta times at fair deals...

http://heavyeditorial.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/carnascar31.jpg?quality=65&strip=all

Hilltopperny
11-30-2016, 04:50 PM
That's the lamp from A Christmas Story isn't it? :D

pdmtong
11-30-2016, 04:56 PM
There is something about that item, worn not as pictured, but as might be worn by the typical WalMart consumer, that makes for an image most cringeful and unsettling.

some things once seen cannot be unseen

CSTRider
11-30-2016, 05:10 PM
Ya think someone at Wally World has a sense of humor? ... or perhaps a hacker in Moscow?

Will be interesting to see how long it will take them to discover it ...

Dead Man
11-30-2016, 05:40 PM
wow.. she's not even wearing panties

djg21
11-30-2016, 05:49 PM
I would guess Walmart sells intimates

But they'd be way too big for the model in that photo, and they'd likely be made of camouflage flannel. Have you been to a Wally World lately?

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/category/featured-creature/?gdsr_sort=votes&gdsr_order=desc

Dead Man
11-30-2016, 05:52 PM
Not all walmart patrons are fat, people... freaken A. Way to be judgmental.

They also serve a lot of meth addicts.

djg21
11-30-2016, 05:55 PM
Not all walmart patrons are fat, people... freaken A. Way to be judgmental.

They also serve a lot of meth addicts.

I guess you're right. http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/category/featured-creature/?gdsr_sort=rating&gdsr_order=desc

Cicli
11-30-2016, 06:31 PM
The town immediately south of me has a MalWart. My neighbor is a LEO in that town. He says that a full third of all retail store calls to the police involve that store. I have never been in one but can only imagine the scumbags that cheap asses stuff attracts. I read the police reports. Its daily a theft or a fight there.

Frankwurst
11-30-2016, 07:00 PM

I didn't even notice:beer:

jlwdm
12-01-2016, 07:02 AM
The town immediately south of me has a MalWart. My neighbor is a LEO in that town. He says that a full third of all retail store calls to the police involve that store. I have never been in one but can only imagine the scumbags that cheap asses stuff attracts. I read the police reports. Its daily a theft or a fight there.

If you had been in one you would realize that most of the products are the same as in other stores.

Jeff

bobswire
12-01-2016, 08:07 AM
So I was looking on Walmart's website today for some stakes to secure some lighted deer that we put out for Christmas. One of the options had a rather interesting picture for the "TriCC RL8431 Stakes, 4pk, Glow In The Dark". I'm not sure if this is a mistake, or someone having some fun...but the link below contains a picture that is NSFW...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/TRiCC-RL8431-Stakes-4pk-Glow-In-The-Dark/48573824

They posted that photo in the wrong department. > https://www.walmart.com/ip/A-Christmas-Story-20-Desk-Leg-Lamp/48629465?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1143&adid=22222222227036163615&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=77659342714&wl4=pla-179122151554&wl5=9031947&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112549980&wl11=online&wl12=48629465&wl13=&veh=sem

CampyorBust
12-01-2016, 08:52 AM
I am aghast and appalled! Out of all the crass and ill mannered things posted on this forum, this one takes the cake! Sexist much, objectify women much, make fun of the less fortunate much who lack the wherewithal and/or presence of mind not to shop at Wallmart. My safe space has been ravaged (quivering lip, sniffle, snuffle, snort, snork, sigh)

I knew a guy who worked at Wallmart once, he was hornier than a Phrynosoma. Could be him.

Um I need some cheese and a dipper, where to buy? Hmmm…

fuzzalow
12-01-2016, 09:32 AM
I occasionally shopped in WalMart when I lived in the burbs - it was the only place to get Gatorade powder in the 3lb can and Mobil-1 motor oil was cheapest there. WalMarts found throughout Nassau County NY which last I looked was the 13th wealthiest county in the United States. Doesn't matter 'cos onsumers are always looking for deals and they don't care where they get it. BTW there are no WalMarts on Manhattan island.

Not all walmart patrons are fat, people... freaken A. Way to e judgmental.

I'd agree with this in that I was taking a dig at the typical WalMart consumer, which was impolite, but I'll disagree that I was being judgemental - a more appropriate word might be "observational".

Cannot deny however that WalMart targets a demographic & economic strata that is reflected in consumption patterns and consumer priorities. Nuthin' wrong with that, WalMart is a business and cash dollar is cash dollar no matter who & where it is spent.

But WalMart's corporate mantra of getting the lowest price for their customers in effect self-selects the customers that most often shop at their stores as consumers that value low price above all other considerations: a buying pattern that can driven by necessity but IMO is often driven by the desire to consume more for the same level of spending. Nuthin' wrong with that either; it is the American way although some might view it as crass consumerism.

So when I take digs at WalMart customers, it is true I sound elitist. I do not deny I live in a bubble. But I will make an attempt to try and understand them better, if possible, and identify common qualities by which I can share empathy with them on. I have to be able to see & understand outside my own bubble even if I like living in the bubble I have. Because that is the one thing this past presidential election taught me - and it is there are segments of society that are ill-served and poorly protected and that must change. Said not as dogmatic of the liberal progressive but from the view of a conservative who seeks avoidance of unrest and possible anarchy as detrimental to civil society. We did this to ourselves, now we gotta fix it.

If you had been in one you would realize that most of the products are the same as in other stores.

Not true. WalMart has such enormous leverage in purchasing power that they have the ability to specify to the most minute detail to any manufacturer how to make their product as destined and contracted for sale in the WalMart chain. A pair of jeans may say Levis and be made by Levi Strauss but it will have the denim fabric weight and specifications to be exactly as WalMart contracted Levis to make. WalMart sells cheaper because to product is not the same as real Levis but the WalMart consumer is usually not savvy enough to know this or may not even care if they did.

Sure, you might retort that you said "most products" but let's not play petty semantics. We know that the goal is to set an image and expectation in the consumer's mind that drives behaviour to have then choose WalMart to shop because they think they're getting a better deal. Consumers like me that went to WalMart ONLY for Gatorade powder and Mobil-1 is the exception and not the rule.

djg21
12-01-2016, 09:39 AM
I'm pretty sure that both Dead Man and CampyorBust were being sarcastic, thought it can be hard to tell and took me a few minutes to glean that from Dead Man's post. But the references to "Meth Addicts" was the giveaway. And he's from Orygun after all. :beer:

Fatty
12-01-2016, 09:40 AM
But they'd be way too big for the model in that photo, and they'd likely be made of camouflage flannel. Have you been to a Wally World lately?

Not cool or funny to make fun of the shape of people's bodies. Not cool at all.

jlwdm
12-01-2016, 09:40 AM
Not true. WalMart has such enormous leverage in purchasing power that they have the ability to specify to the most minute detail to any manufacturer how to make their product as destined and contracted for sale in the WalMart chain. A pair of jeans may say Levis and be made by Levi Strauss but it will have the denim fabric weight and specifications to be exactly as WalMart contracted Levis to make. WalMart sells cheaper because to product is not the same as real Levis but the WalMart consumer is usually not savvy enough to know this or may not even care if they did.

Sure, you might retort that you said "most products" but let's not play petty semantics. We know that the goal is to set an image and expectation in the consumer's mind that drives behaviour to have then choose WalMart to shop because they think they're getting a better deal. Consumers like me that went to WalMart ONLY for Gatorade powder and Mobil-1 is the exception and not the rule.

Petty semantics? I am aware that they make products to their specs (just like Nordstrom) but go down the grocery aisles for example and you will see the same products as in other stores. My wife goes there just for a specific tea that she can't find anywhere else. I know other people who go there because they have great fresh fruits and vegetables.

They must be looking for a slightly different demographic as you can now order online and set a time to pick up at the curb - no charge.

Jeff

Dead Man
12-01-2016, 10:09 AM
I'm pretty sure that both Dead Man and CampyorBust were being sarcastic, thought it can be hard to tell and took me a few minutes to glean that from Dead Man's post. But the references to "Meth Addicts" was the giveaway. And he's from Orygun after all. :beer:

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab6/bkb0000/image_zpswezcmkhh.jpeg

fuzzalow
12-01-2016, 10:24 AM
Petty semantics? I am aware that they make products to their specs (just like Nordstrom)

Nordstrom certainly has goods made to their specs for any of Nordstrom's private label offerings. That is different that having a name-brand manufacturer alter their own branded & labeled product for sale retaining the manufacturer's brand and not that of the retailer.

Maybe Nordstrom's can make Levis manufacture Levis to Nordstrom's specs - I don't know. But I can't come up with a reason why Nordstrom's would have to do this although I know why WalMart does it - the illusion of lowest price.

but go down the grocery aisles for example and you will see the same products as in other stores.

Same products? Maybe. Exactly the same product unit packaging? Not always. For example Bounty paper towels - looks the same packaging but the sheet count on the roll is less than found in the full price stores. Oreos - is the ounce packaging the same?

WalMart scales to the millions of units. They work with small differences in product to both set the illusion of lower prices and to serve their cost/profit margin objectives. They are far more clever than the examples listed above. Almost all of these machinations are unnoticed and unawares to the typical WalMart consumer - they just think they're getting to best price. Nuthin' wrong with this either, it's business.

My wife goes there just for a specific tea that she can't find anywhere else. I know other people who go there because they have great fresh fruits and vegetables.

Selection is a consumer draw also. WalMart has the data to back it up and to drive why they offer what they do. WalMart is famous for the breadth and depth of their data monitoring and data mining technology infrastructure.

I'm not being argumentative. My point is simply that there is lots going on under the surface that most people and likely most WalMart shoppers know nothing about.

Dead Man
12-01-2016, 10:30 AM
I go to walmart because it's a 40-90 minute drive to anything else that has a lot of the stuff that ours has.

There USED to be other smaller locally owned stores that collectively had everything they have, but they were driven out of business once Walmart went in.

But what about all those awesome part time minimum wage jobs the Walmart provides our suffering local economy?? Yea!

$200/week from walmart, a SNAP card, section 8 housing, little TANF here and there, state cash benefits.... we do OK 'roun hur.

AngryScientist
12-01-2016, 10:30 AM
WalMart scales to the millions of units. They work with small differences in product to both set the illusion of lower prices and to serve their cost/profit margin objectives. They are far more clever than the examples listed above. Almost all of these machinations are unnoticed and unawares to the typical WalMart consumer - they just think they're getting to best price. Nuthin' wrong with this either, it's business.

yup. same reason why you buy a hot water heater from a real plumbing supply store, not home depot; or why that TORO weekwacker you buy at Lowes is not necessarily the same quality as one you can get from a specialty shop.

People want the name recognition of brand name goods. is it a surprise that you can buy a pair of "Lucky" brand jeans for $150 at the mall and a similar looking pair at Costco for $22?

bobswire
12-01-2016, 10:43 AM
I've never been to a Walmart store but did purchase a cellphone online from them a few years ago.
I go to Costco since it's local,in fact I rode there a couple of days ago to buy some trek mix I'm unable to find anywhere else unless I buy online. Costco sells the mix at $9.99 2 lbs, online (Amazon) it sells at $13.99 plus shipping. BTW I purchased the same mix online and it's exact same as the one I get from Costco.
One gripe I have towards these bulk sellers is the have few if any secured bike racks (maybe to discourage small buys?) so I went into the garage area and locked my bike up against a chain link fence post instead of outside the store where it would be more accessible to thief.

jh_on_the_cape
12-01-2016, 11:18 AM
Might be a he. Nothing wrong with that, of course.

FlashUNC
12-01-2016, 11:27 AM

Its a national problem with Wal-Mart. Cut back on store staff and extend to 24 hours and, shock of shocks, things can get a little wild.

https://www.bloomberg.com/features/2016-walmart-crime/

jh_on_the_cape
12-01-2016, 11:34 AM
I wonder if a third of all shopper-hours are spent in wally world?

FL_MarkD
12-01-2016, 11:35 AM
The pic is still there. I am guessing that the hit counter on that page is running a bit higher than normal. Maybe someone will be checking soon ..... ;)

fuzzalow
12-01-2016, 12:10 PM
People want the name recognition of brand name goods. is it a surprise that you can buy a pair of "Lucky" brand jeans for $150 at the mall and a similar looking pair at Costco for $22?

Gadzooks! Please dissuade anyone you know considering buying Lucky, or any uppity-scale jean, from buying $150 jeans from any mall.

In the very least, steer them towards a higher quality selvedge denim offering. APC have been a gateway denim for a long time for denim connoisseurs. Japanese denim is among the best in the world, if you're gonna spend money, try to know what the reason is for why you're spending it.

See you at the next stop.

jlwdm
12-01-2016, 08:43 PM
Nordstrom certainly has goods made to their specs for any of Nordstrom's private label offerings. That is different that having a name-brand manufacturer alter their own branded & labeled product for sale retaining the manufacturer's brand and not that of the retailer.

Maybe Nordstrom's can make Levis manufacture Levis to Nordstrom's specs - I don't know. But I can't come up with a reason why Nordstrom's would have to do this although I know why WalMart does it - the illusion of lowest price.

I'm not being argumentative. My point is simply that there is lots going on under the surface that most people and likely most WalMart shoppers know nothing about.

You are being argumentative. Please stick with "Nordstrom" not "Nordstrom's." I am not talking about private label offerings. As an example Nordstrom used to sell lower quality Zanella pants - don't know if they still do. They do the same with certain suit brands.

Jeff

fuzzalow
12-01-2016, 09:23 PM
You are being argumentative. Please stick with "Nordstrom" not "Nordstrom's."

You're going pedantic on me over the use of "Nordstrom's"? I don't shop there so you wanna correct me over this? Sheesh. OK. Nordstom. NORDSTROM. NORDSTROM. Ya happy now?

I am not talking about private label offerings. As an example Nordstrom used to sell lower quality Zanella pants - don't know if they still do. They do the same with certain suit brands.

Jeff

Dunno anything about "Zanella" pants. I doesn't matter if those Zanello pants were of a lower quality, the issue is did NORDSTROM dictate to "Zanella" to manufacture a lower grade of pants to NORDSTROM specifications to be made just for sale in NORDSTOM stores. If "Zanella" makes a range of pants for different price ranges and NORDSTROM sells them, then your argument is wrong.

For example: Armani made a line of suits that covered a range of prices: Mani, Emporio Armani, Armani Collezioni and finally Giorgio Armani, from low to high price.

Stores like MACY'S, NORDSTROM, BLOOMINGDALE'S, BERGDORF GOODMAN would then sell the line that was most appropriate to their clientèle. I'm sure in some cases there was overlap between suit lines.

This is from memory, I haven't worn Armani suits in a long time although I still like them. I prefer Kingsman or Thom Sweeney and the like with Savile Row-style British tailoring nowadays.

I try to be social in talkin' with you Jeff. I dunno what standard you apply for what you consider facts. Hey, nothin' to get wound up about, its just chatter.

Nice talkin' to you.

pdmtong
12-01-2016, 09:28 PM
in other news today at my LBS I saw a F8 that went into a car at 25mph.

HED front axle was bent. wheel slight taco. rider over the bars over the car and ok.

remarkable is that you had to look for the crack. it was tiny, a dime could cover it, but it was there, a sligh 'L" around the downtube cable upper entry point.

the frame is compromised but its remarkable little visible signs as to the impact.

stephenmarklay
12-01-2016, 10:11 PM
Now that I clicked the link I am getting this image in my facebook ads.

Great.

josephr
12-05-2016, 07:54 AM
The pic is still there. I am guessing that the hit counter on that page is running a bit higher than normal. Maybe someone will be checking soon ..... ;)

fixed now...so guess I missed it...maybe a good thing?

Saint Vitus
12-05-2016, 08:14 AM
fixed now...so guess I missed it...maybe a good thing?

Well, I dunno about you but I'm always on the look out for a cheap thrill, er um bargain...

unterhausen
12-05-2016, 08:59 AM
my daughter works at walmart. When she first started there was a problem with an ex-boyfriend of one of the workers showing up stalking the worker. And when I say "stalking" I mean screaming obscenities from across the store. I've never really seen anything untoward happening at a walmart, but there was a real race to the bottom when Sam died and it hasn't been worth going very often since then. Plus it's well known that if you don't buy the cheapest item, the next better item is overpriced. So I just shop online.