11-30-2016, 09:51 AM
Sold a wheelset to a gent in Brooklyn, zip 11222

Bike flights keep defaulting to 'NewYork', 11222

is this the same thing?

Can't get ahold of the buyer, or else I'd ask him and thanks

Peter

AngryScientist
11-30-2016, 09:54 AM
yes, brooklyn is a borough of New York. the name of the city is still NYC.

jlwdm
11-30-2016, 09:54 AM
Borough of NYC.

Jeff

oldpotatoe
11-30-2016, 09:56 AM
yes, brooklyn is a borough of New York. the name of the city is still NYC.

thanks

AngryScientist
11-30-2016, 09:56 AM
incidentally, i think the zip code is ALL that matters when mailing stuff.

pretty sure you could send me a package to "crazytown" with the correct zip and it would have no problem getting here.

ColonelJLloyd
11-30-2016, 09:59 AM
And some towns share a post office with the next town over and so you're address will get changed to reflect the town where the post office is instead of the town where the package will ultimately be delivered.

fiamme red
11-30-2016, 10:03 AM
Should be "Brooklyn, NY 11222." That's Greenpoint, and despite Manhattan Avenue being there, it's still part of Brooklyn. :)

oldpotatoe
11-30-2016, 10:05 AM
Should be "Brooklyn, NY 11222." That's Greenpoint, and despite Manhattan Avenue being there, it's still part of Brooklyn. :)

Thanks, got it to take "Brooklyn"..

trener1
11-30-2016, 11:52 AM
Brooklyn is most definitely NOT Manhattan :no:

Mark McM
11-30-2016, 12:20 PM

Streets are often named for where the go, not where they are. This is especially common here in eastern Massachusetts, where, for example, the road between Bedford and Concord is called Bedford Road in Concord, and called Concord Road in Bedford, and the road between Lexington and Waltham is called Waltham Street in Lexington and Lexington Street in Waltham. When you think about it this makes a lot of sense. If I'm currently in Concord and I want to go to Bedford, I'll go down Bedford Road, but if I want to go to Lexington, I'll go down Lexington Road, and if I want to go Sudbury, I'll go down Sudbury road.

Brooklyn was once an independent city, separated from the New York City (originally only Manhattan Island) by the East River. Just before the consolidation in 1898 (which merged Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, the Bronx and Staten island into The City of Greater New York), Brooklyn was 5th largest city in the US.

PQJ
11-30-2016, 12:25 PM
Brooklyn is most definitely NOT Manhattan :no:

But both are very much New York. ;)

R3awak3n
11-30-2016, 12:29 PM
its been solved, I actually had the same exact problem mailing a bike from Portland back to Brooklyn. Funny enough, same zipcode that you are mailing it too. Good old Greenpoint, Brooklyn. There must be a bug but I got it to stick to Brooklyn. It was a pain, kept putting New York.

johnmdesigner
11-30-2016, 12:55 PM
Greenpoint my old home for 10 years!
Best Kielbasa in the world.
If you don't want your package to end up on the moon better make sure it says "Brooklyn".

Ti Designs
11-30-2016, 12:57 PM
Streets are often named for where the go, not where they are. This is especially common here in eastern Massachusetts, where, for example, the road between Bedford and Concord is called Bedford Road in Concord, and called Concord Road in Bedford, and the road between Lexington and Waltham is called Waltham Street in Lexington and Lexington Street in Waltham. When you think about it this makes a lot of sense. If I'm currently in Concord and I want to go to Bedford, I'll go down Bedford Road, but if I want to go to Lexington, I'll go down Lexington Road, and if I want to go Sudbury, I'll go down Sudbury road.

There are many theories about the roads in eastern Mass, but it's a pretty good bet that the road you're on doesn't go straight for any length, it changes names, and there are no signs to tell you what road you're on anyway. We call that the home field advantage...

OtayBW
11-30-2016, 12:59 PM
Sold a wheelset to a gent in Brooklyn, zip 11222

Bike flights keep defaulting to 'NewYork', 11222

is this the same thing?

Can't get ahold of the buyer, or else I'd ask him and thanks

Peter
Brooklyn is in the Witness Protection Program....

happycampyer
11-30-2016, 01:45 PM
incidentally, i think the zip code is ALL that matters when mailing stuff.

pretty sure you could send me a package to "crazytown" with the correct zip and it would have no problem getting here.
Conversely, if you addressed it to "crazytown" and left off the zip code, it would still be delivered to nyc.

gpendergast
11-30-2016, 01:58 PM
Conversely, if you addressed it to "crazytown" and left off the zip code, it would still be delivered to nyc.

Good one!

fuzzalow
11-30-2016, 02:35 PM

Well...it's never boring.

estilley
11-30-2016, 06:10 PM
Ha! 11211 was my old zip code.

Not exactly the same but just down the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lhuerta
11-30-2016, 06:37 PM
...there is no such place as Brooklyn, its just a social construction promoted by the fixed gear class. There is only one New York.

tctyres
11-30-2016, 08:47 PM
brooklyn is in the hipster protection program....

ftfy :D

victoryfactory
12-01-2016, 07:59 AM
I'm from Queens. We have heard of this place called "Brooklyn" but none
of us has actually been there.

Oh.. except for one guy I know who went there searching for something called
"brunch" whatever that is.
He never returned.....

VF