PDA

View Full Version : Directv Now Launched Nov 30, 2016

jlwdm
11-30-2016, 09:33 AM
Directv launched its streaming service today to compete with Sling TV and and Playstation Vue. Next year HULU will also be joining this space.

I have been trying to cut the cord but it is not easy. I am at a marginal location for an antenna and also have a good relationship with the HOA and Design Review and do not want to do anything that could jeopardize those relationships.

Directv Now has some shortcomings that hopefully will be improved next year: only 2 users at a time, no DVR service, no surround sound, no CBS.

A big plus is the HBO add on for $5 per month.

I did the three month prepaid plan which includes free Apple TV.

The introductory rate is $35 for 100+ channels, which does include NBC Sports Network.

I need to work on cutting back on my cable services.

Edit: 5.1 surround is available with Apple TV and Amazon Fire tv.

Jeff

ColnagoFan
11-30-2016, 09:42 AM
This is something I've been waiting for as well. The DVR maybe isn't a dealbreaker for us, if we can get the shows we want on demand.
I just picked up a Fire TV and I've been enjoying that. But Netflix at $10/mo, plus HBO at $15/mo adds up. I could see doing the smaller DirectTV package and adding HBO pretty easily...just trying to cut the costs out of the damn cable/internet bill.

Do you sign up for their internet service as well?

jlwdm
11-30-2016, 09:51 AM
This is something I've been waiting for as well. The DVR maybe isn't a dealbreaker for us, if we can get the shows we want on demand.
I just picked up a Fire TV and I've been enjoying that. But Netflix at $10/mo, plus HBO at $15/mo adds up. I could see doing the smaller DirectTV package and adding HBO pretty easily...just trying to cut the costs out of the damn cable/internet bill.

Do you sign up for their internet service as well?

I use Verizon FIOS for internet.

The 100+ channel package is the best because it is also only $35 and you are grandfathered in at that rate.

Jeff

huck*this
11-30-2016, 09:53 AM
I have cut the cord for 2 years now. Although I/we may not be the best candidate as we don't watch much TV but we currently have SlingTV and had PS Vue. Now looking into DirectTV Now. Might give it a go.

Here is a great comparison of the channel services from CNET.

https://www.cnet.com/news/directv-now-vs-sling-tv-vs-playstation-vue-channels-compared/

Schmed
11-30-2016, 10:03 AM
I signed up this morning including the free AppleTV.

Despite not working on the Safari browser, we are looking forward to having more than the crappy over-the-air news available to us.

ColnagoFan
11-30-2016, 10:16 AM
I use Verizon FIOS for internet.

The 100+ channel package is the best because it is also only $35 and you are grandfathered in at that rate.

Jeff

I wish we had FIOS here, I had it at my last place.

I really just need AMC for Walking Dead, and some Disney BS for the kids...
A free Apple TV is certainly appealing!

oldpotatoe
11-30-2016, 10:28 AM

Despite not working on the Safari browser, we are looking forward to having more than the crappy over-the-air news available to us.

How much if ya already have a AppleTV?

Schmed
11-30-2016, 10:35 AM
How much if ya already have a AppleTV?

Same price, but our 2nd gen apple tv doesn't have the app for DirecTV now, near as I can tell.

You just need to commit to, and pay for, 3 months up front. $105.

Mark McM
11-30-2016, 11:15 AM

The lack of DVR capability is the deal breaker for me. It allows me to watch videos the way I want, when I want. On demand is not a substitute, because the video provider may impose restrictions on how videos are watched. For example, features like FFWD and REW are often disabled for on demand videos, or at least have serious performance issues. On demand video frequently imposes time limits - for example, some on demand services can only access videos for a for a few days after original broadcast. And, of course, on demand services often force the viewer to sit through commercials and/or previews, whereas DVRs can simply FFWD over these (some DVRs even have automatic commercial skipping).

ColnagoFan
11-30-2016, 11:16 AM
The lack of DVR capability is the deal breaker for me. It allows me to watch videos the way I want, when I want. On demand is not a substitute, because the video provider may impose restrictions on how videos are watched. For example, features like FFWD and REW are often disabled for on demand videos, or at least have serious performance issues. On demand video frequently imposes time limits - for example, some on demand services can only access videos for a for a few days after original broadcast. And, of course, on demand services often force the viewer to sit through commercials and/or previews, whereas DVRs can simply FFWD over these (some DVRs even have automatic commercial skipping).

These are all very valid points.

jlwdm
11-30-2016, 11:23 AM
DVR coming next year.

Jeff

Saint Vitus
11-30-2016, 11:59 AM

I pine for the days of 4 maybe 5 channels of OTA TV, life was far more interesting.

Schmed
11-30-2016, 12:12 PM
I pine for the days of 4 maybe 5 channels of OTA TV, life was far more interesting.

Agreed - with the exception of network news. I know far too much about Miley Cyrus and the Kardashians than I care to, plus, I really don't need someone reading twitter to me. I've also noticed that they spend a lot of time promoting TV shows that happen to be on their own network!

Not to mention not being able to see the Cubs playoff games this season. :(

Interestingly, OTA shows are MUCH better definition than with satellite - even when using a simple $9 antenna.

dustyrider
11-30-2016, 12:13 PM
The only thing I "need" a tv for is live broadcasts...most of which don't interest me in the least. So an antenna gets me most of the way there and the internet brings it all home.

I've never paid for cable tv. Only cable internet. Plenty of free streaming content out there and for a few dollars more you can subscribe to hulu or netfilx or hbo or... and not have to sit through advertisements.
I also have a ps4 and occasionally rent a flick once they drop to the $4 level.

ultraman6970
11-30-2016, 12:58 PM
for 35 bucks is not bad, wonder what fios will do tho... a lot of people will migrate for sure. Talking about normal tv viewers, not the fantastical that need to have and watch everything crystal clear.

Need to check what do I have, what we watch and how much are we paying for the fios thing.

The other thing is what will happen with the signal with like zillions of people connected to this system 24/7? Either way the 35 bucks offer is not bad at all.