PDA

View Full Version : best helmet mounted lights

cinema
11-30-2016, 08:58 AM
I'm looking for a really lightweight helmet light with an internal rechargeable battery. simple to take off and put on is a plus

charliedid
11-30-2016, 09:21 AM
We just ordered these for the shop so no real world use yet. I think it's like $75 retail. Seems to be a bit of a movement for these types of lights for commuters as addition light. A Dyno set up with this on helmet would cover all the bases pretty well.

http://www.lezyne.com/product-led-sport-macroduo.php#.WD7tsaIrKu4

titans
11-30-2016, 09:21 AM
I posted this in another thread. Ibex sports has them on sale while supplies last as they are no longer the distributor. I bought the Diablo MK7 and wow is it light and the helmet mount is pretty cool. No straps and wireless too. 1.5 hours on full. I currently have the Light and Motion Seca (older model) helmet mount but the battery (second one) is showing signs of dying so I opted for the wireless Diablo.

palincss
11-30-2016, 09:28 AM
What would the light be for?

If you're looking for a reading lamp to help you read cue sheets & cycle computers for night time navigation, it's hard to beat something like a Fenix LD02 mini-flashlight velcro'd onto your helmet. Takes 1 AAA battery, weighs little more than that battery, 3 brightness levels:

High: 100 Lumens (45 min. using Ni-MH Battery; 30 min. using Alkaline Battery)
Mid: 25 Lumens (4 hr. 15 min. using Ni-MH Battery and Alkaline Battery)
Low: 8 Lumens (14 hr. 30 min. using Ni-MH Battery and 15 hours using Alkaline Battery)

For full darkness, the low level is perfect for reading cue sheets: bright enough to read, but not so bright as to dazzle and leave you seeing a green rectangle.

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-ld02-led-flashlight/

trener1
11-30-2016, 11:37 AM
I use an Cygolite Expillion for my night MTB rides, great little lights with replaceable batteries so you can carry a spare in your pocket.
Comes in few different brightness's depending on how much you want to spend.

JAGI410
11-30-2016, 11:41 AM
Niterider Lumina Micro 600! A few of us are using these and are quite happy with them on helmets for dark MTB rides.

Bob Ross
11-30-2016, 12:24 PM
Niterider Lumina Micro 600! A few of us are using these and are quite happy with them on helmets for dark MTB rides.

I've got a Niterider Lumina 650 which on ocassion I'll mount on the helmet. The light itself is awesome -- bigger & heavier than the Micro 600, but not annoyingly so -- but the supplied helmet mount is kinda ridiculous, all big articulated hinges and floppy straps. You'd think someone could make a killing selling a helmet with an integrated light, or at least an integrated light mount.

Mark McM
11-30-2016, 12:28 PM
On the topic of both lights and helmets ...

There are frequent discussions about helmets here, with their true ability to protect being debated. But how does mounting a light onto a helmet affect its function? Couldn't a firmly mounted concentrate crash forces at the mounting point, or increase torsional forces on the helmet/head?

saf-t
11-30-2016, 08:23 PM
Not elegant, not as bright as the Lezyne, and uses a single AA (vs the 18650 size in that light), but I use 120 lm flashlights from DX that cost ~ $10. each, and this (http://www.lightinthebox.com/multifunction-bicycle-flashlight-mounting-bracket_p269435.html?currency=USD&litb_from=paid_adwords_shopping&utm_source=google_shopping&utm_medium=cpc&adword_mt=&adword_ct=84187023794&adword_kw=&adword_pos=1o5&adword_pl=&adword_net=g&adword_tar=&adw_src_id=1810908567_301578074_21687104834_pla-214569159674&gclid=CJ_q9NH30dACFYpWDQodkw4LSw) for mounting. I get 45 minutes or more on a single battery, which is plenty for my commute (and I can stick an extra battery in a jersey pocket if I need a longer run time ...) Disclaimer: used as a secondary light

Buzz
12-01-2016, 12:21 AM

This is a legitimate light. Nothing Micro about its output. You really can't feel the weight on the helmet. I picked one up with free shipping for $51.00.

Niterider service has been good. I returned a 700 lumina that I dropped and it stopped working. They sent me a new unit for free.

chiasticon
12-01-2016, 06:28 AM
not 100% sure what you're after here. i.e. if you're looking for a "be seen" versus "I need to see" light, what kinda light and road conditions, etc...

personally, for riding during this time of year on the road, I use a bright "I need to see" light on the handlebars, plus a blinkie in the rear (of course) and a couple blinkies on the helmet. the helmet ones just give a little extra indicator to motorists. they're not super bright and I wouldn't want to use them solo, but they're nice to have.

for that, I use these: https://www.amazon.com/Serfas-Ultrabright-Rechargeable-Headlight-Black/dp/B004G954W0/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1480594938&sr=8-21&keywords=serfas+light

you can strap them pretty much anywhere on your helmet or bike, they have great battery life, weigh nothing, cost almost nothing, and they're sufficiently bright for my use case.

but again, you may be after something totally different...

dawgie
12-01-2016, 01:42 PM
I highly recommend the Light & Motion Viz 360 light, preferably the Plus version. I have the regular version as back-up light for commuting. Comes with a taillight that fits the back of your helmet and also contains the rechargeable battery.

Aaron O
12-01-2016, 01:44 PM
I'm not sure if it's the best, but I've been thrilled with my Viz 360 plus:

Bright enough to see a reasonable path forward in pitch dark.

Good battery charge

Side visibility

Light

Very effective rear light placement.

Very adaptable to different helmets.

seric
12-01-2016, 01:51 PM
Another vote for the Vis360+.

jghall
12-01-2016, 02:05 PM
Another vote for Exposure. A bit pricey though.

rusty1200
12-01-2016, 02:07 PM
Cygolite Expellion

cinema
12-01-2016, 02:24 PM
thanks for all the recommendations i have to sift through the options.

I have a cygolite as my main light and i'd light something equally powerful for the helmet for both additional road illumination as well as seeing side to side and down at the bike for mechanical stuff.
my commute has grown to around 20 miles each way. for the ride home i often begin in total darkness and spend at least 1.25 hours and 1100ft elevation on the ride home