PDA

View Full Version : ...

cadence90
11-29-2016, 08:23 PM
.... ..

R3awak3n
11-29-2016, 08:37 PM
interested as well, looks nice. I doubt its as good as a frame pump but wonder how much better it is than other mini pumps, they claim it pushes much more air I think. Looks great and I am sure, just like other silca products, its very well made.

I like the hose that comes out, wonder why no one is making full frame pumps with a hose, I would be all over one.

cadence90
11-29-2016, 09:48 PM
.... ..

Clancy
11-29-2016, 10:52 PM
Just got one yesterday, haven't had time to do anything but give it a good look. Appears to be solid as well as beautifully made. I'll give it a trial run tomorrow and report back.

pdmtong
11-29-2016, 11:16 PM
Just got one yesterday, haven't had time to do anything but give it a good look. Appears to be solid as well as beautifully made. I'll give it a trial run tomorrow and report back.
is there any chance this could fit in a jersey pocket or does it just stick out way too much?

cadence90
11-29-2016, 11:32 PM
.... ..

pdmtong
11-30-2016, 12:16 AM
Oh, and Clancy...: Live and in person from pdmtong's turf (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxw-E65p7wg). :D ..
Agreed, probably toooo long.
At this very moment...How about that AFC #1 seed! so what if doesn't last. at this point 11 games in no one predicted this.

cadence90
11-30-2016, 12:47 AM
.... ..

pdmtong
11-30-2016, 01:26 AM
Now, a normal rider might easily notice an expensive 9 1/2" pump suddenly clattering out of their jersey pocket, but you?...all plugged in to "Autumn Wind" turned up to 11 and smearing yourownface with that silver/black grease??? :no: Too, too, risky, friend. :D
Hahahaha...yea, john facenda could read a cereal box and make people go crazy. the pregame used to be a montage to autumn wind now its a montage to an excerpt from won't get fooled again punctuated by the daltry scream then hells bells and the players run out and the starter intros... AC/DC has been the perfect match for them for soooo long it's weird to me to hear it in other stadiums. Plus now it really is DC/AC (#4/#89)...BTW, plenty of shaved heads with the shield tat'd right on top.

chiasticon
11-30-2016, 06:49 AM
interested to hear the reports of actually using it. they tout the accolades of it far less than they do the pocket impero. for example, specifically stating the pressure at 200 pumps as per BikeRadar protocol, telling you it's made with their leather plunger, that it overcomes the failing of most minipumps which lose efficiency when hot, etc. they don't talk about that with the tattico, they just say "it's nice, it has a hose" basically. I kinda feel like it's their "cheap" pump to take some of the lezyne/topeak market share, since they both basically make the same thing. that said, if it works as well as pumps from those two companies, it'll be just fine.

my issue with the silca frame/mini pumps is that while they're well made and efficient, they focus more on moving air quickly than on not being difficult to use at high pressures. an impero ultimate is unbearable over 90 psi for a skinny armed cyclist. a lezyne road drive or a topeak master blaster at those pressures? MUCH easier.

cadence90
11-30-2016, 03:31 PM
.... ..

pdmtong
11-30-2016, 05:06 PM
I use a basic blackburn airstik SL just to stage the tube then finish the inflation with C02. if my two cartridges go out then I will pump using the Blackburn or call home. I dont flat much so the idea of either silca is more in want than need.

now, can we get back to talking about khahil mack....TD, INT, sack, FF, FR in one game first time since 2009 (woodson)

R3awak3n
11-30-2016, 05:10 PM
I use a basic blackburn airstik SL just to stage the tube then finish the inflation with C02. if my two cartridges go out then I will pump using the Blackburn or call home. I dont flat much so the idea of either silca is more in want than need.

now, can we get back to talking about khahil mack....TD, INT, sack, FF, FR in one game first time since 2009 (woodson)

then why not just use a frame pump? cheaper, no need to buy CO2, less trash and probably same weight when you carry a pump and CO2.

I have one of those mini pumps (had a blackburn, garbage), I think its the topeak. It is terrible, pump for ages and not enough air, after a 50+ mile ride last thing you want is to pump that thing 100 times. On a frame pump, couple minutes and you are up to pressure, not enough to get you home but enough to let you keep ridding.

Mark McM
11-30-2016, 05:18 PM
Yes, the lack of any real test reports re: the Tattico is frustrating. All the "reviews" just seem to quote Silca ad copy.

Maybe that's because, according to Silca's web page, the Tattico didn't start shipping until November 20th (just over a week ago)? Perhaps no one has had time to review it yet.

cadence90
11-30-2016, 08:22 PM
.... ..

pdmtong
11-30-2016, 09:18 PM
then why not just use a frame pump? cheaper, no need to buy CO2, less trash and probably same weight when you carry a pump and CO2.

I have one of those mini pumps (had a blackburn, garbage), I think its the topeak. It is terrible, pump for ages and not enough air, after a 50+ mile ride last thing you want is to pump that thing 100 times. On a frame pump, couple minutes and you are up to pressure, not enough to get you home but enough to let you keep ridding.

my choice is really a reflection of the infrequency that I have a flat. yes, i get them...but it's not often and a long time in between.

mini pumps are lousy to pump a tire up. all they can do is start the tube.

anyone else have a pocket impero? I know angry likes his. can they really get a tube up to 80-90 without the pumper having a cardiac or arms fall off??

cadence90
11-30-2016, 09:35 PM
.... ..

R3awak3n
11-30-2016, 09:40 PM
my choice is really a reflection of the infrequency that I have a flat. yes, i get them...but it's not often and a long time in between.

mini pumps are lousy to pump a tire up. all they can do is start the tube.

anyone else have a pocket impero? I know angry likes his. can they really get a tube up to 80-90 without the pumper having a cardiac or arms fall off??

true but with a frame pump you just put it in the frame and forget about it. No carrying it in your pocket or nothing :)

Sorry I am a frame pump fanboy :cool:

druptight
12-01-2016, 08:54 AM
I've been using a Lezyne Pressure Drive for years, looks basically the same as this pump, and goes to 120psi (allegedly). It's great, hose screws onto the presta valve. Thanks to hose, no real risk of pushing too hard and snapping off a valve, although that's a risk I've only read about, never seen IRL. I use the pump holder attached next to my seat tube bottle cage, and it's never been an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-Pressure-Drive-Black-Medium/dp/B005X7AHK8/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1480603929&sr=1-1&keywords=lezyne+pressure+drive

chiasticon
12-01-2016, 10:01 AM
Are the Lezyne Road Drive and Topeak Master Blaster the current "best" mini-pumps? Is one better than the other?I should have said "master blaster road" in my previous post. that's the topeak frame pump. it's equal to the lezyne road drive, in my opinion. both are incredible to use and will get you back to 90-100 psi without your arms falling off or taking three days. topeak also makes a master blaster mini, but I wouldn't think it'd be that great; same design as the frame pump, just way smaller. they do, however, make a model called the race rocket, which is very much the same as the lezyne road drive or the tattico. it's more like the tattico in fact because you don't need to unscrew a hose and move it around. just pop open the cap, pull the hose out, screw it to your valve and have at it. works quite well, really. and is only about $25-ish. so maybe look into that or the road drive if you don't like the reviews of the tattico you see. both come with a bottle cage mount.

also, like R3awak3n, I am a frame pump fan boy. oh and I have ripped the valve stem off of a tube once, when using a frame pump. I was very new to cycling and it was my first time with a frame pump (a zefal hpx) so I had no idea that would happen. live and learn! :p

froze
05-04-2017, 12:30 PM
Little late seeing this subject but I'll put my two cents worth in.

Most mini pumps suck big time, they don't come anywhere near the claimed PSIs they say they can reach on the packaging with most only capable of reaching no more than 1/2 of their claims, and I've tried a bunch and sent a bunch back!

The only mini pumps I have found that reach at least the pressure I want which is 100, is primarily the Lezyne Road Drive, SKS Wese Carbon, Topeak Race Rocket HP, HPX, and Road Morph G, and finally the Lezyne Road Drive large.

The SKS Wese Carbon (which is no longer made, now SKS has nothing but junk? weird. I only mention it here because it's one of the few that will make it to 100 even in todays market). This gem of a pump is a direct connected pump unlike the others that use a hose, with any direct connected pump one has to be careful, especially at higher pressures, is the problem of people having the tendency to "saw" the pump back and forth as they pump which is bad for today's tubes since they have removed the reinforcement grommets that supported the stem onto the tube, so now tubes get ripped at the base of the stem if a person isn't a lot more careful than we once had to be, this is why more and more pumps are coming out with hoses because the hose will act as a shock buffer between the pump and the tube...assuming that the user allows enough slack in the hose for that buffer thing to work! But the SKS Wese does reach 100 psi and does so in about 300 strokes, this was the best pump in it's day when it was introduced about 15 years ago, no other pump back then could get to 100. This pump is very well built, it never has given me any issues in all those years. SKS since then has gone backwards in both capability and quality.

The Topeak Race Rocket HP (I'm sure the HPX will as well and probably better than the HP but I didn't like the way it connected to the frame, I had to remove the water bottle cage and not use it because the pump took the place of the cage, stupid). This pump of the ones I'm mentioning as my favorites here is the least performing one, but it does get to 100 psi but only after about 400 strokes. Not badly built either, I've used mine now for about 8 years and it has yet to break.

Topeak Race Rocket HPX (I never tried this one). This pump should be better than the HP due to the fact it's longer so less strokes will be required to get to 100. The build quality is the same since their related. But it only comes with what's called a inline bracket which requires the complete removal and discarding of a water bottle cage in order to attach it to a frame, that is just plain nuts; of course you can buy a side mount, note I said "buy", really Topeak? I have to pay extra for a bracket so as not to remove a water bottle cage? that should be included as standard with the pump! Not sure how many people would want a pump knowing they have to remove a water bottle cage.

Topeak Road Morph G, is the easiest of all the pumps to use but not really a mini, I call it a 1/2 frame pump, and it doesn't fasten well to the frame as it moves around quite a bit as you ride. This fastening to the frame situation seems to be an ongoing issue with at least a couple of Topeak pumps, not sure why; this thing mounts using velcro, do I need to say anything else? Don't get me wrong, I love the pumps ease of use, but it keeps moving on the frame as I ride and have to constantly readjust it, strange design. But it operates like a dream, it basically converts into a mini floor pump with a pop out foot peg and a pop out T handle. It easily gets to 100 and then some in about 150 strokes, the least by a wide margin over any mini pump. One could actually use this pump as a floor pump instead of buying a floor pump. The psi gauge is not very accurate, mine is off by 5 psi, but once you know how far off it is you simply compensate. This is also the largest and heaviest of the pumps I'm mentioning, which is why I call it a 1/2 frame pump. I use this pump on my touring bike due to the larger tires which with a true mini would probably take 500 or so psi to get to 75, but with this pump I can do in about 125.

And finally what I consider the best is the Lezyne Road Drive, however this pump comes in 3 sizes, if you want it to reach the 100 psi range and do so without a huge huge effort then get the largest size one, I seriously doubt the smaller will reach 100 psi, the medium one can but it takes a lot of pumping and I got tired as it neared about 350 strokes so I exchanged it for the large. The build quality is pretty good, no issues other than a plastic ring slips off but does not hinder performance, but I do have to keep putting it back on. This pump is only for Presta valves, no Schrader valves allowed. In my opinion it's the best looking pump as well. Again this is the best true mini pump I've used besides the SKS Wese Carbon, but the Road Drive takes a little less strokes than the Wese, the Road Drive takes about 250 strokes to get to 100.

Now the subject of the Silca pumps. I've tried the Impero but not the Tattico, supposedly the Impero is the better of the two for high pressure road tires, but the Impero failed to get past 85 psi for me after about 350 strokes, so back to the store it went. The Tattico is not as well suited for high pressure as the Impero is thus I think someone will have a very difficult time getting it to just 75 psi based on what I found that the Impero can do. So with very limited use I cannot wax on about it's durability, but it failed in pumping so that was a total fail for me, the rest doesn't matter after that.

Pastashop
05-04-2017, 02:31 PM
https://www.evanscycles.com/zefal-rev-88-frame-fit-pump-EV170488

It's plastic, cheap, requires some skill to pump (like the original Silca did) and therefore a poor seller in the US. :-) But it is lightweight, and capable of reaching high pressures with a reasonable number of strokes. I had one of these but (foolishly) sold it along with a bike. I might get one again. :beer:

froze
05-04-2017, 07:23 PM
https://www.evanscycles.com/zefal-rev-88-frame-fit-pump-EV170488

It's plastic, cheap, requires some skill to pump (like the original Silca did) and therefore a poor seller in the US. :-) But it is lightweight, and capable of reaching high pressures with a reasonable number of strokes. I had one of these but (foolishly) sold it along with a bike. I might get one again. :beer:

Frame pumps are superior to mini pumps, no doubt, but most people want mini pumps, in fact I can't even recall the last time I saw a full size frame pump on a bike. I still have two "vintage" frame pumps from the 80's, a yellow Silca Impero with the Campy head still in great condition; and a silver Zefal HP that is in average condition. I retired those to keep them in decent shape and display them in my bookshelf along with some other cycling memorabilia.

Frame pumps were a necessity back prior to the mid 90's when tires didn't have good flat protection belts like they do today, so fixing a flat 2 or 3 times a week would have been a drag using mini pumps all the time, especially since the early ones couldn't reach 60 psi! Today I get maybe a flat every 6 months, last year I went the whole year without a flat, so on the rare occasion I have to use a mini pump it's not a big deal, but also a few modern minis, like the ones I mentioned earlier work good enough.

S. Michael
06-23-2017, 12:33 PM
froze, you are amazing with all of this mini pump data. You mention you were inflating a touring tire with Road Morph G. Is your other data based on a touring tire, or something more standard these days like 700 x 25? Sorry to jump in so late, but I am working on a comparison of minis and this thread is excellent.

froze
06-23-2017, 01:31 PM
froze, you are amazing with all of this mini pump data. You mention you were inflating a touring tire with Road Morph G. Is your other data based on a touring tire, or something more standard these days like 700 x 25? Sorry to jump in so late, but I am working on a comparison of minis and this thread is excellent.

No, all the strokes per pump data is base in 700x23c tires that require in my case 110 psi in the rear, but the stroke counts are to 100, and then whether or not I can get a pump to get 100. The Road Morph G, I also tested it for 23c tires and works great, but due to it's ungainly size and looks plus it's poorly designed attachment system I've decided it's best use is for the touring bike where I use 27 x 1 1/4 and it takes a lot of volume of air but not pressure to get those up to 75 (loaded psi) and the Road Morph does it far faster than a mini that I carry for emergency back up for that bike, that mini take at least 500 strokes to get to 75! While the pumping doesn't take a herculean strength to get to 75 but the 500 plus strokes simply wears you out, (that mini is a Lezyne Pressure Drive).

I've owned a lot of pumps which I mostly returned for exchange or refund because they failed to even get 75 psi with 23c size tires. The only pumps I kept out of the some dozen I tried are the ones I mentioned, Topeak Race Rocket HP (the other RaceRockets are smaller and will not reach their proclaimed 160psi), Topeak Road Morph G, the Lezyne Road Drive (large size only, the smaller ones will be more difficult and probably won't reach 100, the medium might but with a lot more pumping involved. The SKS Wese Race Day Carbon, I got that pump because I had a SKS Puro which was a really cool pump, it looked fantastic, and it had a built in PSI gauge, but the first time I used it I only got to 45 psi with a great deal of difficulty and then the pump literally blew apart from the strain of the pressure, SKS sent me the Wese Race Day Carbon pump as a warranty replacement! Free of charge! I still have that pump and it works great but sadly SKS no longer makes that pump, all their new pumps are trash.

The one pump I have I didn't mention in my other post but did here in this post is the Lezyne Pressure Drive, I didn't mention that one in my other post because it's not designed for road tires and their higher pressures. I did however try to use it on a road tire just to see if it would but it won't go any higher than 80 psi which is more than I need for my touring bike. Normally I wouldn't recommend that pump but I got it as very good deal and it's only used in case of emergency if the Road Morph G by chance failed.

I do find Lezyne products to be of very good quality. There is also a pump I didn't mention in either post because I hadn't used the pump when I wrote the first post, and that I do NOT own, but ran into a person that had one called the Zefal Air Profil LL, this is not a true mini however since it's about 12 inches long but it is shorter than the Road Morph G so really not that bad in size, but I did purposely let the air of my tire and used that pump to put air back in and I have to say it did so rather well, not as good as the Lezyne Road Drive large but darn near as good, and it's also well built. The only objection some people may have with it is that it doesn't have a hose, it's a direct connected pump which I know how to use properly because for years that's all there was, but the hose style minis are nice, anyway if used improperly a person may "saw" the pump while pumping and rip the valve stem base.

froze
06-23-2017, 10:50 PM
by the way, no mini, or even what I call the 1/2 frame pump Topeak Morph, that I know of can reach 160 psi like manufactures claim theirs will do. Leaving the larger Topeak Morph out and staying with just true mini pumps, the highest I ever could get the best one, which is the Lezyne Road Drive, was to 135 and I was dying toward the end. The good news is I don't know anyone who is running around using more than 120 psi on the street; maybe riding in a Velodrome I'm sure there are those that probably are running more but they use full size floor pumps to get to higher pressures.

Just keep in mind when buying a pump that the smaller the pump the less it weighs and the harder it is to pump and the ability to get to 100 psi is highly improbable since not even the Road Morph can get to 160 and the Road Morph is the most capable of the pumps to use.

What I found weird, which I did this today due to this interest in mini pumps, is I went to You Tube and found all the videos on mini pumps being tested, and only ONE video was using a road bike that would typically need 100 to 110 psi, but all the rest instead used tires that need between 60 and 75! And that was it! The reviewers were too afraid to show the viewing public what they were going to be running into trying to get to 100 or 110!! The only video I found of a road bike being pumped up by a mini was using a Lezyne Road Drive but even that video quit filming at 120 strokes! And 120 strokes puts the Lezyne at around 45 psi.

MikeD
06-24-2017, 08:24 AM
Most bicycles today lack the pump peg and horizontal top tube that makes carrying a full sized frame pump practical; hence the mini pump. Pumps are limited to simple physics. The smaller the diameter of the barrel, the less force it takes to pump tires to high pressure. The longer the barrel, the less strokes required. Some pumps are double acting (pumps both on compression and extension), decreasing the number of strokes required. Anyone know of a pump that pushes more volume at low pressure and less at high so that you pump the tire up faster and you can achieve high pressure?

R3awak3n
06-24-2017, 08:33 AM
/\ what? just use a piece of velcro. That is hardly an excuse against frame pumps.

MikeD
06-24-2017, 08:51 AM
Deleted

froze
06-24-2017, 04:05 PM
Most bicycles today lack the pump peg and horizontal top tube that makes carrying a full sized frame pump practical; hence the mini pump.

Actually you can fasten a frame pump on a modern bike that doesn't have the peg, people do all the time...well those that prefer frame pumps do all the time. Anyway this is the most common way but there are other ways using velcro straps, anyway this is how Zefal does it, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1Pc81vZpX0 Both Zefal and Silca are able to it the same way, so here is a video of Silca, see: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s__cRLQ-NBw When I use to use a full size frame pump I had a frame peg for it, but I also took the extra safety precaution of using a velcro strap in the middle to make sure it wouldn't pop off on a rough road which they were known to do, thus if I was using a frame pump today on a modern bike like shown in those videos I would secure it with a velcro strap.

Mark McM
06-26-2017, 09:31 AM
Most bicycles today lack the pump peg and horizontal top tube that makes carrying a full sized frame pump practical; hence the mini pump. Pumps are limited to simple physics. The smaller the diameter of the barrel, the less force it takes to pump tires to high pressure. The longer the barrel, the less strokes required.

That is all true. But there are a few mini-pumps that aren't much smaller than full size frame pumps, but that also have other features make pumping to high pressures easier. I'm speaking specifically of frame mounted mini-pumps that convert to floor pumps, such as the Topeak Mini-morph or the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive. These pumps allow the rider to pump much harder than standard mini-pumps.

Anyone know of a pump that pushes more volume at low pressure and less at high so that you pump the tire up faster and you can achieve high pressure?

Here are several:

https://www.blackburndesign.com/pumps/mini-pumps/airstik-2stage-mini-pump.html

https://www.crankbrothers.com/pumps_sterling-l

https://www.crankbrothers.com/pumps_gem-l

pdmtong
08-22-2017, 11:13 AM
And now with blue tooth pressure gauge. Pretty slick I have to say.

The idea for TATTICO Bluetooth came after we received numerous requests from riders asking us to design a mini-pump that featured a reliable gauge while also staying small enough and sleek enough to remain a true mini-pump. Using our already popular tactical pump TATTICO as a starting point, we partnered with Bluetooth to create a pressure sensor that transmits tire pressure data to your Apple or Android device in real time via an app called iGauge.

https://silca.cc/pages/tattico-bluetooth-mini-pump

froze
08-22-2017, 12:05 PM
Slick, yeah real slick, I can't imagine how we ever were able to pump up tires in the last 100 years without bluetooth technology in a pump. This is such a stupid idea, all they had to do was put a pressure gauge in the pump like some have been doing for years, I don't need to pull out my cell phone every time I need to pump my tires up, I'm sorry but this is an example of technology gone too far just so they can make you pay $120 for a damn mini pump, I guess Silca knows that some people have more money than brains.

Mark McM
08-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Slick, yeah real slick, I can't imagine how we ever were able to pump up tires in the last 100 years without bluetooth technology in a pump. This is such a stupid idea, all they had to do was put a pressure gauge in the pump like some have been doing for years, I don't need to pull out my cell phone every time I need to pump my tires up, I'm sorry but this is an example of technology gone too far just so they can make you pay $120 for a damn mini pump, I guess Silca knows that some people have more money than brains.

Remember, we're talking about a company that sells the $475 SuperPista Ultimate PLUS Floor Pump.

froze
08-22-2017, 09:44 PM
Remember, we're talking about a company that sells the $475 SuperPista Ultimate PLUS Floor Pump.

I remember all too well. The funny thing is I use to have Super Pista that I bought in the mid 70's, and I remember when I bought it that I didn't think the price was crazy high, about normal in fact, yet now they pushed the boundaries of space with their pricing on their stuff, why is that? Because I think they think that cyclists are like tourist and Silca is going to do the tourist trap thing and far overcharge for their stuff, all these wealthy corporate types have moved from golfing to cycling and the companies know so the prices go through the roof. There is no where near even $50 worth of materials in the new Super Pista Ultimate Plus, I bet it doesn't pump better air, or pump air better than my Birzman I got for $55.

froze
12-07-2017, 08:15 PM
This video tests the Silca Tattico Bluetooth pump: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A92F2h1ALI0 This guy is fairly strong individual yet he was only able to get to 100 with a great deal of effort, including breaks along the way. The Lezyne Road Drive large version I get to 110 psi with what appears to be less effort then he does at 100, but at least it gets to 100, most mini's top out at around 75 psi no matter what the box the pump came in claims it can reach. A lot of pumps including Lezyne claim they can reach 160 PSI according to the packaging, I have yet to find a mini pump, a half frame pump (Topeak Road Morph), or a full frame pump that can reach 160 psi.

I think the Silca pump is simply too expensive for what it does, and again Bluetooth? really? This is obviously a marketing ploy to get techies to buy fancy but useless stuff. A simple gauge built into the pump would have worked just fine, in fact they could have put a digital gauge where the end cap is and do away with the phone.

Of course I don't see the point of buying a $450 floor pump either! If a $70 floor pump is good for most bike shops then I think a $70 pump is good enough for us. Silca is all about stealing your money and laughing all the way to the bank. Their HX1 tools they want to sell you that come in a fancy wood box is a joke, you can find those all day long at home improvement places for less than $30 that will come with more hex keys then what Silca gives you but minus the fancy wood box...who needs a wood box? probably nerds who would never use the tools anyways and just display them! I seriously doubt that you'll find one professional bike shop using those tools just like you won't find one using a $450 pump. Professional auto mechanics use more expensive tools then the average do it yourselfer would buy, they get Snap On and a couple of others that deliver on trucks, but even those tools aren't ultra expensive like the Silca; most professional bike mechanics use the Park line of tools, this would be similar to the Snap On line of tools for auto mechanics, and even the Park hex tools aren't anywhere near the price of the Silca! So again why use something a lot more expensive then the pro mechanics use? Of course like Snap On Park has a lifetime warranty.

zennmotion
12-07-2017, 10:19 PM
I can't remember the last time I put more than 90-95psi in a 25c tire- maybe for riding gravel on skinny tires? And Silca makes nice things for people who like nice bike things. At least half my winter miles are on a banged up old gas pipe hoopty commuter bike I found on a curbside and converted to a fixie- it makes me smile. I also have a new impero frame pump that I paid full retail and paid extra for the matching paint with a new custom frame. It also makes me smile. Silca is good people with good stuff- you can find cheaper stuff that works fine as well, choices are good. The true test is, can you whack a charging pitbull with a Topeak? You could with the impero!

froze
12-07-2017, 11:26 PM
I can't remember the last time I put more than 90-95psi in a 25c tire- maybe for riding gravel on skinny tires? And Silca makes nice things for people who like nice bike things. At least half my winter miles are on a banged up old gas pipe hoopty commuter bike I found on a curbside and converted to a fixie- it makes me smile. I also have a new impero frame pump that I paid full retail and paid extra for the matching paint with a new custom frame. It also makes me smile. Silca is good people with good stuff- you can find cheaper stuff that works fine as well, choices are good. The true test is, can you whack a charging pitbull with a Topeak? You could with the impero!

The bluetooth mini pump may be rugged but it also weighs a lot, and most people who ride nice bikes and want nice crap to hang on the nice bikes won't want a heavy pump to add to their ultralight CF bike that weighed 13 pounds, no instead they would get a lighter mini because that's why they bought a light bike, not to deck it out with heavy gear and make the bike heavy.

I'm not saying that the Silca isn't a decent pump, but it's not worth the price they charge for the pumps and tools. I bet you the pro Park tools will last just as long as the Silca tools, and the same for their floor pump. Look man, Silca simply jumped on the gouge the cycling community bandwagon that a lot of other companies have done. Their track pump that sells for $450 is NOT as durable as Giant's Control Tower Pro floor pump, how do I know this? The Giant is the only pump to use an outside tube with another inside tube (barrel in a barrel), so if the outside gets dented it protects the internals you can still use the pump, this pump cost only $100. There is nothing to brag about when it comes to Silca, they simply are gouging the public because they know there are fools born that will spend a lot of money for a false perception of a quality product as long as all the glitter is there to sell it.

572cv
12-08-2017, 08:47 AM
The bluetooth mini pump may be rugged but it also weighs a lot, and most people who ride nice bikes and want nice crap to hang on the nice bikes won't want a heavy pump to add to their ultralight CF bike that weighed 13 pounds, no instead they would get a lighter mini because that's why they bought a light bike, not to deck it out with heavy gear and make the bike heavy.

I'm not saying that the Silca isn't a decent pump, but it's not worth the price they charge for the pumps and tools. I bet you the pro Park tools will last just as long as the Silca tools, and the same for their floor pump. Look man, Silca simply jumped on the gouge the cycling community bandwagon that a lot of other companies have done. Their track pump that sells for $450 is NOT as durable as Giant's Control Tower Pro floor pump, how do I know this? The Giant is the only pump to use an outside tube with another inside tube (barrel in a barrel), so if the outside gets dented it protects the internals you can still use the pump, this pump cost only $100. There is nothing to brag about when it comes to Silca, they simply are gouging the public because they know there are fools born that will spend a lot of money for a false perception of a quality product as long as all the glitter is there to sell it.

Comments which outline cogent observations about products can be viewed as a useful,acceptable part of this post. But the portion of it which posits motive for pricing and slams quality overall detracts from the point, regrettably.

My observation on Silca is that they are a small company, trying to build on existing brand awareness to introduce new and in some cases rather thoughtful products. That's not a bad strategy. Their success rate, like that of most companies, will not be 100%. Their mini torque/ratchet set is very good indeed. The phone wallet not so much. But I get that they are trying. They are going to depend on early adapters to get a foothold. I don't like to chime in on threads that get away from the positive or factual, but this seemed like a time to try to change the tone.

oldpotatoe
12-08-2017, 09:01 AM

I have an idea...vote with your wallet(as I'm sure you do)...and don't buy this or any other 'stuff' that isn't 'worth it' to you..

How DO you know? BTW..Have you owned the Silca?...oh I see.

Second OBTW-I have a few park tools and they aren't the pinnacle of bike tools in any way. Many far better...and geee, more expensive too. :)

-waiting for a comment on Rapha...:eek:

Corso
12-08-2017, 09:49 AM
3 pages here and not one actual review of the Tattico, as requested by the OP.

I guess no one (here) is buying them.

zennmotion
12-08-2017, 10:17 AM

Sometimes, it's not what you say but how you say it. :fight: And... not only can my Silca impero frame pump up a flat, quickly, without stress in the cold it also doubles as a faux microphone for holiday karaoke parties. Because mine is painted an appropriate christmas green. Works for Saint Patty's day drunken singing as well, so you see, it was well planned. It can also be used as a safe alternative to laser pointers for powerpoint presentations. No other pump could do that as well. None. So you see, it's well worth the cost! I have nothing to say about my Silca pista floor pump, it's scratched and filthy and ugly and I repaired the broken glass on the gauge with a cut out from a clear yogurt top. Since 1983 or so it's been that way. Silca seat bags are pretty awesome as well. Cheers! Keep the rubber side down-

cadence90
12-08-2017, 05:21 PM
.... ..

froze
12-08-2017, 07:34 PM
I have an idea...vote with your wallet(as I'm sure you do)...and don't buy this or any other 'stuff' that isn't 'worth it' to you..

How DO you know? BTW..Have you owned the Silca?...oh I see.

Second OBTW-I have a few park tools and they aren't the pinnacle of bike tools in any way. Many far better...and geee, more expensive too. :)

-waiting for a comment on Rapha...:eek:

I use to own a Silca track pump, but that thing was bought about 35 years ago, was it a good pump? of course, was it the worlds best pump and all others were just waddling around in a jungle of inferior pumps? NO. I used a lot of track pumps back in the day that friends brought to races and I never used a bad pump.

While Park may not be the pinnacle of tools but oddly it seems to be of high enough quality that a bike shop stocks them for their mechanics to use. And that was my point, if they are good enough to be used 10 times a day (for example) 6 days a week and the tools hold up, then they are more then good enough for the casual home mechanic that would never even see 3 months worth of wear a bike shop would have over their entire lifetime. Bike tools don't see the wear like automotive tools see because bike parts don't use anywhere near the torque of automotive mechanical work. While perhaps tools like Swiss tools may be the best they're not popular in the US, in the US you can find Bondhus brand ball end hex keys that are recognized as some of the best hex tools made for a lot less money then Silca. Another problem with Silca tools besides price, is whether or not they'll hold up as long as Swiss or Bondhus, right now that can't be discussed because they haven't been out very long, nor used by many people.

froze
12-08-2017, 08:10 PM
Sometimes, it's not what you say but how you say it. :fight: And... not only can my Silca impero frame pump up a flat, quickly, without stress in the cold it also doubles as a faux microphone for holiday karaoke parties. Because mine is painted an appropriate christmas green. Works for Saint Patty's day drunken singing as well, so you see, it was well planned. It can also be used as a safe alternative to laser pointers for powerpoint presentations. No other pump could do that as well. None. So you see, it's well worth the cost! I have nothing to say about my Silca pista floor pump, it's scratched and filthy and ugly and I repaired the broken glass on the gauge with a cut out from a clear yogurt top. Since 1983 or so it's been that way. Silca seat bags are pretty awesome as well. Cheers! Keep the rubber side down-

Yup, any frame pump will be far better to use then even the best mini pumps, but people today don't want large heavy clunky looking frame pumps and that's why they're not popular anymore...although my vintage Silca Impero is not clunky or heavy but just isn't very stylish anymore and won't fit on the Lynsky anyways, besides it has the Campy head and is still in near new condition so I decided to not use it anymore and put it on display in my bookcase. But the Silca is plastic, I wouldn't dare try wacking a dog with it, but my other vintage pump, a Zefal HP, while a lot heavier than the Silca can beat a dog off quite well without worry about breaking the pump because it's made of thick AL...the Zefal is clunky and heavy.

oldpotatoe
12-09-2017, 07:55 AM
I use to own a Silca track pump, but that thing was bought about 35 years ago, was it a good pump? of course, was it the worlds best pump and all others were just waddling around in a jungle of inferior pumps? NO. I used a lot of track pumps back in the day that friends brought to races and I never used a bad pump.

While Park may not be the pinnacle of tools but oddly it seems to be of high enough quality that a bike shop stocks them for their mechanics to use. And that was my point, if they are good enough to be used 10 times a day (for example) 6 days a week and the tools hold up, then they are more then good enough for the casual home mechanic that would never even see 3 months worth of wear a bike shop would have over their entire lifetime. Bike tools don't see the wear like automotive tools see because bike parts don't use anywhere near the torque of automotive mechanical work. While perhaps tools like Swiss tools may be the best they're not popular in the US, in the US you can find Bondhus brand ball end hex keys that are recognized as some of the best hex tools made for a lot less money then Silca. Another problem with Silca tools besides price, is whether or not they'll hold up as long as Swiss or Bondhus, right now that can't be discussed because they haven't been out very long, nor used by many people.

They were my 4th or 5th choice in my bike shop. I had some Park cutters, headtube reamers, that failed the second time I used them. About the only Park thing I had was a fork crown race puller and FCG installers..maybe some fork cutting guides but for cutters, never again bought Park. From my first days as a wrench, OBTW-most own their own tools, like most auto mechanics own their own tools...The tools I bought for myself were seldom Park...I still have a Campagnolo toolset...BTW.

Saying any bike stuff 'gouges' the consumer is like saying any higher end 'thing', that is on the open market, 'gouges' the consumer(Audi, Ducati, Rolex(hey, it's just a watch!!), put name of high end 'thing here) ..free country, vote with your wallet.

Climb01742
12-09-2017, 09:15 AM
I am the OP, and I bought a Tattico when I used a Silca credit much earlier this year. I like it. It feels and looks well made and durable, and it works quite well imo, definitely much better than the Blackburn and Barbieri mini-pumps I previously used. This is really all I expected from a cage-mounted mini-pump. Like most others, I do not use any mini-pump, etc. that often; really only after a changing the rare flat. After ~9 months with it I am satisfied with the Tattico. Mine does go to the claimed ~100psi without much complaint. Not much else to say, really.

My one gripe with Silca regarding the Tattico is that they do not sell any extra bottle-cage brackets, for those with multiple bicycles, even after I specifically asked them if I could buy more. I find that very annoying and quite cheap on their part, frankly. I suspect that many if not most Silca buyers have more than one frame. Luckily, the Tattico barrel diameter fits both the old Barbieri bracket I had and a couple of generic new ones I ordered from eBay (Taiwan).

+1 on both points. The Tattico works and definitely feels well-made. Should last. And a step up from past mini-pumps. And yes, yes, yes, why on earth Silca won't sell additional brackets is absolutely head-scratching. If you spring for a Silca product, odds are extremely strong that you have multiple bikes.

cadence90
12-09-2017, 03:27 PM
.... ..

froze
12-09-2017, 11:02 PM
froze needs to thaw out a bit....
:banana:

lol!!!!

cadence90
12-10-2017, 12:04 AM
.... ..