PDA

View Full Version : OT... anybody following Westworld???

ultraman6970
11-29-2016, 07:41 PM
My premium channels free option is due I think tomorrow so I wont be able to watch the last season's episode darn!! :/

Since very long time that I dont get caught in a tv show, till now.

berserk87
11-29-2016, 07:55 PM
I am digging it. I have not seen the most recent episode from Sunday yet. It's on DVR.

The show really makes you think about what consciousness is.

pasadena
11-29-2016, 08:05 PM
hooked into it too, a lot of influences from Ghost in the Shell!
it's a really good show

rccardr
11-29-2016, 08:11 PM
Typical HBO high end production values, top level cast (Ed Harris! Anthony Hopkins!), beautifully filmed, really a nicely made series. I've seen the first couple of episodes, and I LIKE IT!

stephenmarklay
11-29-2016, 08:13 PM
I have not seen it yet. I just set my DVR to record episodes so I will try and catch it.

ravdg316
11-29-2016, 08:15 PM
The film major in me is thrilled with this show, wondering how the storylines will be tied together. It's also got enough of the soft stuff and the violent stuff to keep my gf interested.

It's even making me paranoid about whether or not we're even real. Good show.

seric
11-29-2016, 08:20 PM
It along with The Young Pope are my favorite shows of the season, which probably means they will be cancelled. I also checked out the 1973 film, it was entertaining without being similar enough in plot to spoil the show in any way.

ultraman6970
11-29-2016, 08:51 PM
Besides the name and maybe a robot going crazy killing everybody, the movie and the show have nothing similar at all.

But for 1973 the movie was not that bad either, remember it was 1973... cinema changed a lot in the last 20 years. To today's standards the original movie is super cheese :D

The time lines are so mixed up, the last episode kind'a help you to re organize the time lines, the only 2 questions I have are.. who ed harris character really is... and what Billy's time line really is, is not the present tho... what happened many years ago and under which circumstances Arnold died.

Episode 9 was fantastic...

jimcav
11-29-2016, 09:39 PM
the movie freaked me out a bit as a kid (in a good way), really like the storylines and character development. I can't remember a show I looked fwd to seeing as much as this.

Corso
11-29-2016, 09:46 PM
I loved the movie as a kid, watched it recently online…yes, it shows it’s age.
Michael Crichton was a genius.

HBO’s done a good job with the new series, keeps you guessing. If you want to start watching, you really have to watch from the start.

Ed Harris and Anthony Hopkins? How can it be bad?

Mzilliox
11-29-2016, 11:31 PM
3 episodes in and digging it, my fave since lost

OLB
11-29-2016, 11:36 PM
I'm looking forward to the finale. The last few episodes have been excellent.

45K10
11-30-2016, 09:01 AM
I have watched all of the episodes so far and for me the show is okay. The visuals and special effects are awesome but the story seems lacking. It just doesn't grab me like G.O.T or House of Cards does.

I like Vikings better, which is a poor man's G.O.T and a new season starts tonight. I'm probably done with Westworld

ColonelJLloyd
11-30-2016, 09:07 AM
I'm letting it run a bit so I can binge it. Looking forward to it.

jlwdm
11-30-2016, 09:22 AM
My premium channels free option is due I think tomorrow so I wont be able to watch the last season's episode darn!! :/

Since very long time that I dont get caught in a tv show, till now.

Directv now launched today. Sign up for the service including HBO and cancel after the 7 day free trial.

One of the attractive features of Directv Now is HBO for $5 per month.

Jeff

ultraman6970
11-30-2016, 09:42 AM
WOW... good to know thanks!

notsew
11-30-2016, 10:16 AM
I love this show. It's so well put together, and I can't get enough of this artificial intelligence sci-fi stuff.

The way they have been playing with the viewer is great. Last weeks reveals were sooooo satisfying.

If anyone wants to go way down the rabbit hole, check out reddit.com/r/westworld (http://www.reddit.com/r/westworld) the folks on there are obsessive about it and parse out all kinds of details that I couldn't be bothered to catch while viewing.

I can't wait to see what happens next.

marsh
11-30-2016, 10:46 AM
Along with r/Westworld I'm also enjoying the recaps from Emergency Awesome (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOIeYdZ3QczxYtRdifUSytLTj7rrtYtzs). I hope the show doesn't go off the rails and end in a whimper like Lost, so far so good.

estilley
11-30-2016, 10:59 AM
I'm a big fan. Had a bit of a lull in episodes 3-5 but now has really picked up.

Timelines are very interesting to think about...and that "incident" in the early stages of the park. That's all I will say for now since others are saving to watch.

Any thoughts on The Young Pope? Didn't know it was out yet and the catholic schoolboy in me wants it to be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

daker13
11-30-2016, 11:25 AM
Thumbs up from me. I've heard people crapping on Westworld--that there aren't enough sympathetic characters, etc.--but I dig it. I sympathize with the hosts as an oppressed people. Definitely in Philip K Dick territory, for fans of that writer.

saf-t
11-30-2016, 08:10 PM
Totally hooked. Some really interesting things to consider as AI develops for real....

LJohnny
11-30-2016, 08:29 PM
This thread looks like nothing to me....

Love the show, next episode should be epic and then season over, yikes...

ultraman6970
11-30-2016, 10:17 PM
That line is epic LJhonny! :)

Ultra remembers... "What door???".... :eek:

I dont know if anybody saw humans... that one was ok aswell but the problem at least with the english version is that was just cheesy IMO, the usual english tv style that tome works fine with comedy but not with Sci-fi anymore. Never saw the original HUmans Swedish show tho. Wonder how could be HUMANS made in the us with the budget of Westworld.

efuentes
12-01-2016, 12:12 AM
Last episode was really good, Its a no-interruptions-leave-me-alone-to-watch-it kind of show, so many little details.

stephenmarklay
12-03-2016, 07:55 AM
I am going to use the 1 month free HBO on Amazon prime to watch these.

LJohnny
12-04-2016, 10:01 PM
Strong season. Thoroughly enjoyed the show. TV series at really high level, at a "rational" thought-provoking approach that is unique.

Having said that, it is hard for me to see how are they going to keep me interested for a second season, let alone the planned 5, presumably. Don't want to write spoilers here , but I was not truly surprised by any of the outcomes. In terms of story line, I don't see a long term one that would be engaging.

ultraman6970
12-05-2016, 12:20 AM
Episode 10 explained a lot of things... now wonder what they will do for the second season.

Ford wasnt a crazy man after all eh?

estilley
12-05-2016, 01:04 AM
Had a few friends over for the finale. Wow! Good stuff. Expected, yes, but still great.

Is this going to go the way of true detective with the seasons being totally independent? Might be kind of cool to focus on AI in different ways for each season.

tuxbailey
12-05-2016, 08:21 AM
Watch the finale last night. Totally satisfied. I am okay if this is how the series ends. Looking forward to season 2 in 2018.

PQJ
12-05-2016, 09:33 AM
I'll take the contrary view and say 'meh.' Well produced and acted but I ended up falling asleep in pretty much every episode. Can't think of a single character I actually got invested in, and I'd be completely indifferent if they decided to cancel the show. Net-net, moderately entertaining diversion but had me wishing for Game of Thrones at every turn.

djg21
12-05-2016, 10:11 AM
Watch the finale last night. Totally satisfied. I am okay if this is how the series ends. Looking forward to season 2 in 2018.

After watching the finale, I'm looking forward to watching it again. I hate watching things twice typically, but I want to look for all the clues that went over my head the first time through. The season finale made the whole season worthwhile. This was not a series that could be watched while on the bicycle trainer; it took too much concentration to pick up on the subtle cues.

Season 2 of the Man in the High Castle premieres on Dec. 16. I'm looking forward to seeing what Amazon does with that series. The other binge-worthy show that I've enjoyed is Vikings on the history channel, which just started into season 4.

ultraman6970
12-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Wonder what the show will be about the second season... clearly many reached the end of the maze state (consciousness) but what this will be about?? Orient world?? future world?? I was totally seeing maeve leaving forever but she coudlnt escape her cornerstone and who she is.

After all ford got rid off of everybody anyways, genius.

tuxbailey
12-05-2016, 02:14 PM
Hosts vs. Human. And we really don't know what the "real" world is about.

Wonder what the show will be about the second season... clearly many reached the end of the maze state (consciousness) but what this will be about?? Orient world?? future world?? I was totally seeing maeve leaving forever but she coudlnt escape her cornerstone and who she is.

After all ford got rid off of everybody anyways, genius.

ultraman6970
12-05-2016, 10:26 PM
Good point :)

BTW... anybody saw the 1st season of HUMANS???? Not the budget of westworld but wasnt that bad... 2nd season will start soon.

Never seen the original Swedish Humans show.

Tony T
12-05-2016, 11:03 PM
Did everyone watch through the end of the credits for the typical J. J. Abrams final scene? (it didn't reveal anything, just showed the 'host' who got her arm caught in the door getting in a few more shots)

…and Samurai World (SW) was a nod to the original Westword where other "Worlds" were revealed to exist at the end.

ultraman6970
12-06-2016, 12:16 AM
I saw that last 30 seconds... i wonder if the ford that was killed was a not ford but a host of ford. I think bernard needs to suffer a little bit more to reach nirvana hehehe

Futureworld had the samurais i think, then consider the possibility of duplicates of humans and stuff.

Tony T
12-06-2016, 08:37 AM
The other 2 from the movie were Medieval World and Roman World

seric
12-06-2016, 11:32 AM
Good point :)

BTW... anybody saw the 1st season of HUMANS???? Not the budget of westworld but wasnt that bad... 2nd season will start soon.

Never seen the original Swedish Humans show.

I've passively watched Humans through to the 6th episode of Season 2 (as far as it's aired in the UK). Season 2 seems to have gotten stronger over Season 1, I might re-watch the series paying more attention.

SpokeValley
12-06-2016, 04:03 PM
Westworld rocks. I'm all caught up.

There is just some great original series just in time for holiday binging.

Has anyone seen "Goliath" on Amazon Prime? This show grabbed me and sucked me in on the first episode. Great courtroom drama and it seems like a role made for Billy Bob Thornton.

estilley
12-06-2016, 09:30 PM

Has anyone seen "Goliath" on Amazon Prime? This show grabbed me and sucked me in on the first episode. Great courtroom drama and it seems like a role made for Billy Bob Thornton.

Big fan of Goliath. Not accurate in a law sense but hey, makes for great tv!

estilley
12-06-2016, 09:33 PM
Also worth catching up on...

Stranger Things (one of my favorites of the year)
Mr Robot
Night Manager
Silicon Valley

mg2ride
12-07-2016, 12:36 PM
I was a little unsure about Westworld early in the season but was sucked in by the sound track.

The sound track is great.

By the end of the season I was all in. Apparently, it has better numbers than then Game of Thrones.

Bad news is season 2 will come out in 2018.

Mackers
12-07-2016, 12:53 PM
Jeffrey Wright is amazing.

I was rooting for Elsie to make it out alive, but alas.

Tony T
12-07-2016, 01:36 PM
I was rooting for Elsie to make it out alive, but alas.

Why was Elsie killed by Bernard (under Ford's control)?
Didn't she uncover that Charlotte Hale, Delos' executive director was transmitting secrets out of Westworld? How was this connected to Ford?

notsew
12-07-2016, 01:52 PM
I don't think its at all a sure thing that she is dead. They never showed her dead, just in a choke hold.

Mackers
12-07-2016, 02:56 PM
Maybe if she were to turn out to be a host?

Tony T
12-07-2016, 03:02 PM
But why did Ford have Bernard attack/choke/kill Elise?

ultraman6970
12-07-2016, 06:33 PM
Thats one of the loopholes that doesnt make too much sense... the reason given was super "uh"??? because he had to?? The other option is that the one stealing the code was ford but that doesnt make any sense either. What I think is that elize found out everything that was planed by ford (or part of it) and that was the reason to eliminate her.

The same happened with the security guy, he was attacked by the indians but who knows if he is dead or not.

stephenmarklay
12-09-2016, 07:49 AM
I binge watched the series. I liked it. I’m not sure how season 2 will go after this.

stephenmarklay
12-09-2016, 07:51 AM
I saw that last 30 seconds... i wonder if the ford that was killed was a not ford but a host of ford. I think bernard needs to suffer a little bit more to reach nirvana hehehe

Futureworld had the samurais i think, then consider the possibility of duplicates of humans and stuff.

Hmmm

seric
12-09-2016, 11:56 AM
I finally had a moment to finished the finale. Being a Julian Jaynes fan, I'm really happy with the direction the show took. I'm also unconvinced of Elsie's death, I guess we won't know for awhile.

stephenmarklay
12-10-2016, 02:26 PM

Thanks for the heads up on Goliath. This may be my favorite so far. I am 3 episodes in now.

mg2ride
12-10-2016, 08:29 PM
I binge watched the series. I liked it. I’m not sure how season 2 will go after this.

I briefly considered that but a autopsy would reveal the truth. Seems like a stretch to explain that away.

Mackers
12-12-2016, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the heads up on Goliath. This may be my favorite so far. I am 3 episodes in now.

Episode 4 for me and liking it so far.....