PDA

View Full Version : Are smart trainers worth it?

mcfarton
11-29-2016, 07:35 PM
I am overwhelmed with the amount of smart trainers available now. I currently have a nice cycle ops fluid trainer. I have no problem getting on the trainer a few times a week and doing intervals. But all of my friends have been jumping on zwift and I feel left out. I also see a bunch of other apps that look interesting.

So anyone who has taken the plunge into the smart trainer market, was it worth it? Do you look forward to the trainer? Or is it a case of I still don't like indoor training but its not as bad now.

Also, what else have you bought to complete the setup? IE computers, dongles, tv, ect?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

shovelhd
11-29-2016, 07:37 PM
There's quite a few of these threads around here somewhere.

efaust_o
11-29-2016, 07:51 PM
Post #338 seems to be a fairly strong endorsement. I've never done SWIFT before, but I have slept at a HI... :)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=192238&page=23

mcfarton
11-29-2016, 08:02 PM
I have no doubt that a kicker is one of the nicest trainers available, but that isn't doable for me. I am looking more at the 500ish smart trainers.
I am actually more interested in the cycleops app than zwift.
Thanks for the link i will read about zwift.

AngryScientist
11-29-2016, 08:04 PM
tacx vortex smart is $320 from the german website i linked in my zwift thread. best value for a smart trainer available.

54ny77
11-29-2016, 08:14 PM
personally, i would rather stick a hot fork in my left eye, twist it around a few times, and thereafter be forced to read a di2 installation manual in mandarin (twice) than ride an indoor "smart" trainer. or any trainer for that matter.

but yeah, the computrainer i have is not as immensely heinous as the plain cyclops fluid unit that i also have.

merckx
11-29-2016, 08:15 PM
Here is my god's-honest opinion on this. First, I did a ****-load of work on a trainer through the 80's and 90's when I was a competitive cyclist. A ****-load. I have now come to terms that I am closer to death than I am from birth. I am more motivated to "train" in the natural environment. If it is too dark to ride after work, I will go for a long walk, or run. No gym stuff either. On the weekends, go Nordic skiing, Fat bike if you must, or just suck it up and exercise your road machine. Get outside and see the world. Take the earth before it takes you. By spring your fitness will not have suffered if you are smart.

RobJ
11-29-2016, 08:28 PM
Here is my god's-honest opinion on this. First, I did a ****-load of work on a trainer through the 80's and 90's when I was a competitive cyclist. A ****-load. I have now come to terms that I am closer to death than I am from birth. I am more motivated to "train" in the natural environment. If it is too dark to ride after work, I will go for a long walk, or run. No gym stuff either. On the weekends, go Nordic skiing, Fat bike if you must, or just suck it up and exercise your road machine. Get outside and see the world. Take the earth before it takes you. By spring your fitness will not have suffered if you are smart.

Great attitude and probably on target though depends on the goals of your training. If you are racing on the road in the Spring then there is no getting away from the base miles and anaerobic workouts. But if you are just trying to have some level of fitness and just looking to do group or coffee rides then yea, it might work.

So how this relates to the OP's question is you are just riding occasionally then a smart trainer isn't making much of a difference. With such little time on the bike either is tolerable. But if you are riding longer workouts or more frequently then the smart trainer and associated can make it more interesting. And if you are training to race then they are almost a necessary evil if you are stuck indoors for a considerable period of time. I switched from a fluid trainer to a Kickr about 2-3 years ago and wouldn't go back.

R3awak3n
11-29-2016, 08:41 PM
I have a kickr, about to jump on it for the 4th time and the short answer is yes.

I am really enjoying mine and I HATE TRAINERS. On zwift I have never seen a full hour go by so quick on a trainer, love the resistance change going up/down hills, drafting, pretty neat.

On trainer road I really like erg mode. Don't have to worry about shifting, just pedal till you get to the desire power and you are done, nice.

Really depends, if you going to use it again, its excellent, if you barely going to use it, no reason to spend over $500.

kramnnim
11-29-2016, 09:05 PM
The Vortex is a great value for ~$330.

I have used Zwift for ~8,000 virtual miles, I do not like Zwift to control the resistance, though. Lots of shifting for no reason. I use a Tacx Fortius, which would be considered Smart if it could be controlled by something other than Tacx's horrible software. I have a Bushido Smart but dislike how it "feels".

Erg mode is great for intervals!

Zwift is at least worth a try if you are somewhat interested. The group rides/races have been very motivating for me. I hit 192bpm earlier today at the end of a race, there's no way I would have ever worked that hard indoors on my own.

old fat man
11-29-2016, 09:10 PM
I just gave my old Cycle Ops to a friend to try out. I hadn't used it in 5+ years. I was using inside ride rollers for the last 2 seasons and commuting through the worst of the winter prior to that. The rollers were great, but hard to tolerate for over an hour - I never got comfortable enough to ride them no handed.

I just did my first hour on a Kickr tonight and it was nice. Easy to do my structured workout (which I didn't do outside because it was pouring rain today) and easy to synch with Zwift.

I'd still rather ride outside whenever possible, but if I am limited to riding indoors, then the Kickr or inside ride rollers are my choice. Like others, I'd rather gouge my eyeballs out than spend more than 30 minutes on a wheel-on trainer, even if it is a smart trainer.

makoti
11-29-2016, 09:25 PM
Yes, but I use a kickr. I had Kurt Kinetic, a PT rear wheel, and PerfPro and was able to do my workouts fine. This is just easier & more enjoyable.

tigoat
11-29-2016, 09:31 PM
On those cheaper smart trainers, watch out for the incline limits, as some of them can only climb 7% gradient max. If you are not a climber, then it should not be a big deal.

bigbill
11-29-2016, 09:35 PM
I used a Computrainer for years when I lived in the PNW. I had a specific room set up for it with a big TV, speakers, and good wifi. I used an old race bike with only a drivetrain to clamp in the trainer. It was the best I could do and if I still lived up there, I'd still have it all set up and be zwift warrior.

Fortunately I now live in an area with mild winters with only intermittent rain. I have good headlights on a cross bike and 20+ miles of trails behind my neighborhood. If I was still a racer, then a smart trainer might make sense for longer intervals and virtual competition.

R3awak3n
11-29-2016, 10:27 PM
On those cheaper smart trainers, watch out for the incline limits, as some of them can only climb 7% gradient max. If you are not a climber, then it should not be a big deal.

I guess it makes sense at 1/3rd the price. The power readings on cheaper trainers are probably less accurate as well and you don't get the direct mount.

I really love the direct mount, I don't have a bike I leave on the trainer the whole time and it was a pain to change the crappy trainer tire when I wanted to take that bike to ride outside. Direct mount is quick, wastes no tires an feels super secure.

There are a few nice options out there now, the kickr is great and its what I have, the new cycleops seems awesome too and well tought of. The Tacx neo, is the most expensive and has direct downhill where it simulates downhills when you coast (pretty cool).

Tandem Rider
11-30-2016, 05:45 AM

I can't agree more. I have a good friend who got 3rd at TOC a few years ago, back when it was in the early spring, on mostly Nordic skiing. Of course his idea of a ski day is a wee bit different than most folks. The point is, unless you really enjoy riding the trainer, do something else that gets your body working. Don't forget to enjoy whatever you are doing :banana:

mcfarton
11-30-2016, 05:52 AM
I don't "race," but who wants to be the last one up the hill? I'm generally just looking to maintain fitness through another DC winter. I have a toddler and another one on the way. So part of me thinks that any "free" time I will have next year will be random. I may end up using a trainer year round for a while.

I am more interested in the virtual ride aspects of a smart trainer, than the zwift aspect. That is why I never read the zwift thread before. I am going to look into that 320$ trainer. I wonder if it simulates rides or just measures power.

kramnnim
11-30-2016, 07:06 AM
I am going to look into that 320$ trainer. I wonder if it simulates rides or just measures power.

Both

commonguy001
11-30-2016, 07:27 AM
I have no comment on the 320 dollar smart trainer but did pick up a Kickr Snap at the REI sale ($480) and really like it. I mostly use Erg mode with PerfPro and think the feel is better than than the Computrainer I've used for over a dozen years. Wattage tracks with my PT so it appears to be accurate.

Full disclosure - the first Snap I got was a dud and died a noisy death after 7 hours use. No idea what went wrong but it sounded like it came apart inside the housing. The feel on it from the beginning was a bit rough, like the roller wasn't centered or maybe out of round. REI being a pretty good place to shop gave me a new one without any questions. New unit feels smooth and I haven't had an issue with it.

myette10
11-30-2016, 07:31 AM
The whole ride outside mentality is great and sure, that's the number one choice, but sometimes it's not in the cards. Sick kids, early meetings, youth sports, groceries, etc... Schedule can get loaded up. The indoor option may be all that you have, and the bonus is that if ***** hits the fan you're not 10 miles away, you can jump in to spouse/parent mode in nearly an instant.

So if that is the case, if you're already resigned to having to spend at least a little time indoors, I can't recommend Zwift enough. I too hate trainers. No motivation to ride there and watch a movie or even follow a workout at all.

Using Zwift, the competitive gene in me is triggered, and I ride hard. I have fun trying to drop the little digital guys or just hang on to the group. The time flys by. My outdoor riding/racing improves as a bonus. So overall, happier.

This is 1-3 rides per week on the thing, not every day. Like Old Fat Man I usually do it when the weather is bad or time is tight.

Regarding smart trainers, they are probably a step up, but my effort is what it is and I'm smoked after a hard Zwift ride, whether I had realistic resistance or not. I'm using a quarq and a Lemond Revolution.

El Chaba
11-30-2016, 08:11 AM
To me there is not much difference between a smart trainer and a dumb one. They are all indoor riding to me. Years ago I bought a computrainer with the idea that it would change my attitude about indoor trainers. It didn't. I understand that they can be effective tools, but the experience is still horrible. I suppose people who have a handlebar full of electronic devices on their bike anyway may be far more attuned to spending significant time indoors with their eyes fixated on an lcd screen as the experience is not much different than what they experience outdoors.....but I don't use a bike computer on anything....

tigoat
11-30-2016, 08:31 AM
I hated riding a trainer at home but now I am dedicating a whole room as a virtual riding studio just to ride it. I bought a magnetic trainer right from the get-go about 16 years ago when I got my cycling career started in my 30s (I started late). I think I used this trainer maybe 10 times in 16 years. Just recently I dug it out of my basement to try Zwift in my living room and I was instantly hooked. I also tried out a smart trainer from a friend and instantly converted and couldn’t have bought a New Kickr fast enough. It is not so much about the gaming aspect of Zwift that I am hooked on but the interactivity of the virtual ride and the convenience that it provides are what get me going riding a trainer frequently in the comfort of my home. Besides, I am getting and capturing all of my performance data riding on a trainer like I would be riding outside, which makes it a huge difference from riding a dumb trainer from 5 to 10 years ago. I think from now on, riding inside will not be limited just for the winter months for me, it will complement my outside riding year round.

From an industry standpoint, I think this is just the beginning of virtual cycling, as in the future I would expect virtual reality will be part of the game and will make it even more interactive and fun to participate. I would also imagine shaking your hand and padding your back right inside Zwift or some other future virtual reality software right at home. I would also expect to see more stationary smart bikes that can rock, tilt, and vibrate, etc. to match the terrain and gradient of the route.

I just started using Virtual Training software from CycleOps and find it to be very interesting too, as I can create and ride a route almost anywhere in the world with or without following a video. Most rides can actually follow a Google map/route literally. I think the possibility is pretty much endless with this software as it is super cool to be able to ride a TdF route at home.
For my virtual riding studio, I actually have 2 big screens, one for watching my riding metrics and one for watching TV or for watching something else not cycling related. Of course, I have two fans to keep me cool too. I just rode 68 virtual miles last Sunday without having a drop of sweat on the floor, something I would not have imagined doing not long ago. Enough said.

merckx
11-30-2016, 08:49 AM
To me there is not much difference between a smart trainer and a dumb one. They are all indoor riding to me. Years ago I bought a computrainer with the idea that it would change my attitude about indoor trainers. It didn't. I understand that they can be effective tools, but the experience is still horrible. I suppose people who have a handlebar full of electronic devices on their bike anyway may be far more attuned to spending significant time indoors with their eyes fixated on an lcd screen as the experience is not much different than what they experience outdoors.....but I don't use a bike computer on anything....

Full disclosure, El Chaba is my brother although he does not yet know this.

Gummee
11-30-2016, 09:02 AM
I don't "race," but who wants to be the last one up the hill? I'm generally just looking to maintain fitness through another DC winter. I have a toddler and another one on the way. So part of me thinks that any "free" time I will have next year will be random. I may end up using a trainer year round for a while.

I am more interested in the virtual ride aspects of a smart trainer, than the zwift aspect. That is why I never read the zwift thread before. I am going to look into that 320$ trainer. I wonder if it simulates rides or just measures power.

I have at least one buddy that works LONG hours and still manages to be fit. He'll get outside maybe 1-2 days/week. Rest of the time he's on a trainer.

Closest thing to a smart trainer I've had to date was the Cateye Psychostimulator (aka Cyclosimulator) that I'd ride with buddies for 2-4hrs/time 2x/week. That 'hill climb' feature kicked my rear end.

I'm cogitating upon a Kickr, but I too hate trainers with a passion. Gave away the Psychostimulator to a buddy 'cause I wasn't riding it. I'd rather go outside

M

merckx
11-30-2016, 09:19 AM
I still have a Cyclosimulator that I purchased in 1992. I invested a lot of hours on that thing. It was quite an advanced machine in its day. My wife still bolts her Ford to it every winter. God bless her soul.

cash05458
12-02-2016, 10:24 AM
"I just rode 68 virtual miles last Sunday without having a drop of sweat on the floor..."

Am I missing something about virtual trainer riding and sweat here? I could have a dozen fans and still soak the floor.

R3awak3n
12-02-2016, 10:52 AM
"I just rode 68 virtual miles last Sunday without having a drop of sweat on the floor..."

Am I missing something about virtual trainer riding and sweat here? I could have a dozen fans and still soak the floor.

yeah, I just climbed that zwift mountain 2 days ago and was sweating like crazy. If you not sweating on the trainer you are not doing it right.

It has now been a couple of weeks using my kickr regularly. Been doing zwift and trainer road (using sufferfest videos).

I have to say, I am really impressed and has made me not hate the trainer at all. Specially when using zwift in free ride mode, doing a training plan is doing a training plan, its not that fun, you get through it and thats it. Erg mode helps it but still kind of sucks.

However ridding in zwift is awesome. I went in for 45 minutes and then started climbing the mountain and did not finish till I was at the top aka, rode for over an hour. I am going to say that if you going to use the trainer regularly it is damn worth it.

cash05458
12-03-2016, 11:06 AM
reading these and after doing my trainer 5 days straight this week here...anything that makes it even a tiny bit better as it sucks so much...is worth it's weight...

mcfarton
12-17-2016, 09:00 PM
I ordered the tacx vortex from the german dealer linked in this thread. Hopefully I like it. I also hope that i can run some decent software (aka virtual trainer) on my phone and that I don't need to buy a computer also.

kramnnim
12-17-2016, 09:01 PM
I ordered the tacx vortex from the german dealer linked in this thread. Hopefully I like it. I also hope that i can run some decent software (aka virtual trainer) on my phone and that I don't need to buy a computer also.

Zwift runs on newer iPhones/iPads now.

mcfarton
12-17-2016, 09:03 PM
I have a s6 galaxy....