PDA

View Full Version : Help with Serotta HC geometry

cgolvin
11-28-2016, 09:33 PM
I guess this could be misinterpreted as a PSA…I found a Serotta Hors Categorie Ti frame on eBay that seems like a fit but I'm unable to find geometry data and the seller has only provided minimal info (listing is here (http://www.ebay.com/itm/252649131943)). Also, since the frame serial number shows "C HC 53 104" I believe it's custom geometry (I understood that's what the initial 'C' means).

Seller says that both the seat tube and top tube are 53cm; my current saddle height is 73.2cm but I'm looking for a shorter ETT (current frame has 530mm ST c-c, 545mm TT).

Would love answers to any of these:

- Based on the fact that my current frame is a good fit in height but too long in reach, will this Serotta fit meaningfully better?
- Opinion about the Ti HC's ride quality and performance? (I know there are a lot of Serotta lovers here)
- Is $1400 for only frame & CK headset too steep?
- If I buy it, what fork dimensions do I need (recommendations invited)?

Much appreciated for any thoughts.

Ken Robb
11-28-2016, 09:40 PM
The "C" before HC means it was a custom. The next numbers depict the "size" based on seat tube size. We can only guess what the rest of the geos might be,

dave thompson
11-28-2016, 10:42 PM
My opinion: I've owned 3 Hors Categorie Serotta, one of the very best handling/riding bikes made. That said, unless you know all the dimensions and geometries, there's no way to tell if the one you're looking at will be successful for you.

$1400 for a frame only is steep.

That will be 20 pesos please.

oliver1850
11-28-2016, 11:49 PM
If the seller has the measurements right it sounds like a better fit than your current frame. Big if though. People are often off by as much as 1 cm when eyeballing C to C on top tubes. Since it's a custom frame, stock geo charts aren't going to help. I agree with Dave regarding the price. I'd say it's roughly 30% above the market for a frame only. If an HC is your dream frame and the geo is right for you it's still way less expensive than the original owner paid.

Hilltopperny
11-29-2016, 04:35 AM
That frame has been on ebay for over a year now. I'd make an offer if it fits. It looks like it has a head tube extension if I recall correctly and that may be the reason for the C in the serial number.

godfrey1112000
11-29-2016, 05:13 AM
My opinion: I've owned 3 Hors Categorie Serotta, one of the very best handling/riding bikes made. That said, unless you know all the dimensions and geometries, there's no way to tell if the one you're looking at will be successful for you.

$1400 for a frame only is steep.

That will be 20 pesos please.

Over priced for just the frame

I have the exact frame with headset and fork, built with DA and DT Swiss,
HC-54-295
WE CAN WORK A DEAL, PM ME FOR DETAILS

TimD
11-29-2016, 07:59 AM
$150 for shipping is, like, 3X more than it should be.

weisan
11-29-2016, 08:30 AM
I sold my HC like 6-7 years ago for $1200 f/f and it was in excellent condition.