PDA

View Full Version : Never too early to start talking about the classics

MattTuck
11-28-2016, 01:33 PM
To me, this has a bit of a 'jumping on the bandwagon' feel to it. Gravel is king right now, I suppose, but this smells more like a gimmick. If it ends up bringing more attention to WWI memorials (as is the stated goal), then I can get on board with it. The link below has a video which shows the roads. In the spring, I hope they are in decent condition.

Not that the racing calendar has time for it, but I'd prefer to see Spanish organizers build a 1 day alternate surface race. Now that Strade Bianche is firmly entrenched, Spain should try to develop a one day race with its own personality.

In part to pay homage to nearby World War I battlegrounds, the peloton will face three sectors totaling 5.2km of unpaved farm roads in between the two passages over the emblematic Kemmelberg climb on “green roads” called “plugstreets.” The new sectors, which could be treacherous if rain turns conditions muddy, come with about 60km to go to the finish line.

“Integrating this strip between the two Kemmel climbs will provide additional nervousness,” said race director Hans de Clercq. “There will be less opportunity to recover. The [race] won’t be won here, but the chaff will be further separated from the wheat.”

http://www.velonews.com/2016/11/news/gent-wevelgem-route-gets-dirty-with-green-roads_425269

MattTuck
11-28-2016, 10:22 PM
Found this on reddit tonight. Seems relevant.

Belgium, 1917
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5529/9592737055_8e734e0e96_b.jpg

gdw
11-28-2016, 10:53 PM
It's strange that they are paying homage to the Christmas truce of 1914 when this summer marks the 100th anniversary of the disaster known as the battle of Passchendaele- 3rd battle of Ypres. It will be interesting to see if they do anything in 2018 to commemorate the 4th battle of Ypres, Lys Offensive, during which two battles were fought on Mount Kemmel.

FlashUNC
11-28-2016, 11:02 PM
As long as some drunk Belgian fan isn't relieving himself in the graveyard, I think its fine. Reality is its tough to find anywhere in that region without some impact from The Great War.