PDA

View Full Version : Crankarms - scuff marks

joep2517
11-28-2016, 01:09 PM
I was cleaning my bike this weekend, and I noticed scuff marks on the drive-side crankarm. It got me thinking - is there a way/something that I can use to remove the scuff marks? Once cleaned up, what's the best way to keep this from happening again? Is there a clear tape that I can use? And is this a fit/pronating issue with my feet rolling inward that can be fixed?

Thanks!

Joe

moose8
11-28-2016, 01:20 PM
I stopped scraping mine after a fitting where washers were put on the pedal spindle to bring my feet out just a hair.

ultraman6970
11-28-2016, 01:20 PM
1 Put some (1 piece to start) handlebar tape under the arch of the insole.

2 If its just the foot that is hard to clip in, is because the cleats are in the wrong place and need to be angled a little bit. And move the cleat farther in towards the crank so the ankle has more room.

A lot of guys have # 2 wrong and thats the main reason of the problem. Or combine one and two.

Hope this helps.

ps: there is a tape but you have a problem with the ankle going down, IMO #2 big time.

eBAUMANN
11-28-2016, 01:24 PM
throw some crank skins on em...done :)

Cicli
11-28-2016, 01:25 PM
Dont sweat it.
Its a tool, not a jewel.

dave thompson
11-28-2016, 01:53 PM
You, Crankskins for protection. Works extremely well. https://crankskins.myshopify.com

Lewis Moon
11-28-2016, 02:00 PM
Dont sweat it.
Its a tool, not a jewel.

Yep. No scars, no proof.

joep2517
11-28-2016, 02:11 PM
You, Crankskins for protection. Works extremely well. https://crankskins.myshopify.com

Thanks! I'll look them up when I get home.

Dont sweat it.
Its a tool, not a jewel.

I know....

54ny77
11-28-2016, 02:58 PM
i second these. they work really, really well.

yeah you could cut out your own with similar material, but these save time & effort.

helpful hint is to stick a hairdryer on 'em for 30 secs or so before applying, makes things so much easier to fit when they're warmed up.

cadence90
11-28-2016, 03:14 PM
throw some crank skins on em...done :)

i second these. they work really, really well.

yeah you could cut out your own with similar material, but these save time & effort.

helpful hint is to stick a hairdryer on 'em for 30 secs or so before applying, makes things so much easier to fit when they're warmed up.

+4.
Defintely use a hair dryer and not something with more heat, like a heat gun. :no:

myette10
11-28-2016, 04:33 PM
You can try and buff them out with some steel wool or maybe an orbital sander and a fine grit. Perhaps some wet sanding by hand? **** man sorry to hear.

Otherwise you'll probably have to replace them.

Regarding avoiding future incidents probably best to hang it on the wall.

</snark>

carpediemracing
11-28-2016, 07:39 PM
Remember some scuff marks are actually scratches through a finish, like an anodized finish.

Some polished cranks will "just buff out" but many cranks have actual finishes. If you scuff the finish you're sort of SOL unless you can replicate that finish.

joep2517
11-28-2016, 09:07 PM
Some polished cranks will "just buff out" but many cranks have actual finishes. If you scuff the finish you're sort of SOL unless you can replicate that finish.

That's what I was thinking. I wasn't sure. It's a Campy crank.

oldpotatoe
11-29-2016, 06:48 AM
Dont sweat it.
Its a tool, not a jewel.

Big thumb's up..I also like, 'tool not trophy', with thanks to Sean Walling of SoulCraft.

El Chaba
11-29-2016, 06:52 AM
It's understood that a weapon will garner a few marks in battle, but as every soldier knows, you treat your weapon with respect and take care of it to the extent possible. Marked up equipment is a consequence of use...not a goal...

Bob Ross
11-29-2016, 09:14 AM
it's understood that a weapon will garner a few marks in battle, but as every soldier knows, you treat your weapon with respect and take care of it to the extent possible. Marked up equipment is a consequence of use...not a goal...

qft