PDA

View Full Version : bench mount repair stand questions...

benb
11-28-2016, 09:22 AM
I have a Park upright work stand, I've had it since about 2000 and it's been fine although the paint on the bottom wore off a long time ago and the bottom of the legs are superficially rusted. The plastic insert in the jaws is all torn up too.

The thing is it takes up a lot of space in the garage when not in use and you can't really lean a bike against it or it will fall over. (Unless you want to clamp a bike into it for storage even when working.) We've got enough bikes in the garage storage is kind of an issue now.

I just built myself a workbench yesterday, it still needs a bit of work but it's going to free up a good bit of space as I can get my toolbox off the floor. I'm wondering if it's worth it to switch to a bench mount bike repair stand. Getting rid of the free standing work stand would also save a lot of floor space. My bench is not super heavy, it's mostly 2x4 construction with a 1/2" plywood top. My guess is it maybe came in at around 75lb? It's 60"L x 24"D x 36"H. I guess the weight will be well over 100lb, probably at least 200lb once I put my toolbox on it and load up the lower shelf.

The cheaper park bench mount stand seems to have poor reviews due to parts of it being composite plastic.. can anyone recommend one that is good? Any brands other than Park? Park also has more expensive ones ($200+) that might not have the issue.

Do these bench mount stands tend to work OK if the bike repair stand is mounted on a corner? I am going to put my bench vise on one corner. I'm kind of thinking I will want to figure out a good way to unmount the vise and/or bike mount if I need to work on something big but that shouldn't be a big issue.