PDA

View Full Version : False advertising

Mikej
11-28-2016, 08:14 AM
Assos sale 40% off (picture of s7 bonks bibs 148$) click baited unless you are ss or xxl - anybody fall for it? Competitive cyclist has like 90% of thier stuff on sale and I can't find anything I like in my size that's not full retail....

Cicli
11-28-2016, 08:17 AM
Happens to me all the time. That's what we get for not being really big or really small.

Lewis Moon
11-28-2016, 08:54 AM
Pactimo did this for Arizona jerseys; advertised that they had men's and women's, but had incredibly few men's jerseys and sold out almost immediately...then kept the same exact ad ad for the next three days.

Clothing sales are always a crap shoot if you take a normal size. Same with the closeout sites...but at least they often let you search the entire site by size as your first option.

christian
11-28-2016, 09:04 AM
This appears to be their standard operating practice. I never click on their links anymore, and I haven't bought anything these since Brendan left.

bobswire
11-28-2016, 09:08 AM
This appears to be their standard operating practice. I never click on their links anymore, and I haven't bought anything these since Brendan left.

Ditto!

zap
11-28-2016, 09:13 AM

x2

RedRider
11-28-2016, 09:42 AM
delete

AngryScientist
11-28-2016, 09:53 AM
speaking of advertising...

the volume of emails from most of the cycling sites this year is beyond obnoxious. i just went through he exercise to auto sort them to a spam box. yowser.

Lewis Moon
11-28-2016, 09:54 AM

the volume of emails from most of the cycling sites this year is beyond obnoxious. i just went through he exercise to auto sort them to a spam box. yowser.

Indeed. Sometimes 4 or 5 from the same site in a day.

MattTuck
11-28-2016, 09:57 AM
Sounds like a good basis for a silicon valley start up. You put in the item you want and the size you need, and the service scrapes all the sale sites and returns the options for you.

Billions of dollars have been raised on less.

Tony T
11-28-2016, 10:32 AM
Colorado Cyclist does it all the time, it's how they clear out remaining inventory (which is usually small, but sometimes they have my size).

I don't see this as false advertising. (yes, they could say 'limited sizes', but so what, all I have to do is click a link to check it they have my size — it's not like I have to drive to their store)

54ny77
11-28-2016, 10:33 AM
yep, i just "blocked" all of them. hopefully that doesn't result in an email confirming a purchase getting blocked.

Tony T
11-28-2016, 10:35 AM

Sometimes it'e worth checking the subscription settings, some allow you to specify a level (i.e., only specials, once a week, once a month…)

.RJ
11-28-2016, 11:02 AM
Same thing with Nashbar. Big banner ad of an extra 25% off, click the wheelset that I want to buy from the ad, and surprise! not 25% off.

Some exclusions may apply...

stien
11-28-2016, 11:54 AM
Well I have something nice to say...I ordered a Smith Overtake from CC for my wife last night at 50% off. Got an email this morning saying they further discounted it to ridiculously cheap. Called up and they price matched for me right away. Did that with two Kickrs early this year as well. I love CC/BC.

FlashUNC
11-28-2016, 11:57 AM
Its CC's fault you're assuming that the popular sizes will still be around and on sale?

If they're managing their inventory right the largest hump of the bell curve will be long gone by the time sale season rolls around.

merlincustom1
11-28-2016, 01:37 PM
I have no problem with CC post Brendan. Ordered online Saturday night for 20 off, called them Sunday to add an item to the order, also 20 off, no problem adding to the existing order, with free shipping. They have customer service phone hours 7 days a week. Always pleasant to talk to, never had a problem with a return.

MattTuck
11-28-2016, 01:40 PM
I have no problem with CC post Brendan. Ordered online Saturday night for 20 off, called them Sunday to add an item to the order, also 20 off, no problem adding to the existing order, with free shipping. They have customer service phone hours 7 days a week. Always pleasant to talk to, never had a problem with a return.

I mostly have a problem with them after that botched Strava promotion. What a disaster.

Mikej
11-28-2016, 02:43 PM
Oh, I have no problem ordering from CC, in fact, I order there most often. I am just bringing to light the fact that I am bombarded with ASSOS adds everywhere I surf and they are looking for traffic. - I'm more making a point, not complaining.