PDA

View Full Version : To powder or not to powder? Inner tubes

Clancy
11-28-2016, 08:03 AM
So many moons ago I use to put talcum powder in the tire before putting the tube in but got away from it. Never thought about it until recently. I've had a couple of flats on two different bikes and each one, the tube was stuck to the tire to where I had to peel the tube off. I was surprised at how stuck the tubes were, requiring some force to pull apart.

Interestingly, in both cases I discovered the flats the morning after the ride. Both were small pin holes and in both cases I made it home unaware I had punctured. I believe because the tube was effectively glued to the tire so that the tire keep the tube from losing air - allowing me to ride home unaware on a punctured tube.

With that said, that's only a theory. But it did get me wondering.

Is it better to use talcum powder to make removing the tube easier? If a tube is stuck to the tire, does it effect rolling resistance one way or the other? Or, if by not using talcum powder, does that cause the tire to act as a barrier when the tube is punctured?

oldpotatoe
11-28-2016, 08:20 AM
So many moons ago I use to put talcum powder in the tire before putting the tube in but got away from it. Never thought about it until recently. I've had a couple of flats on two different bikes and each one, the tube was stuck to the tire to where I had to peel the tube off. I was surprised at how stuck the tubes were, requiring some force to pull apart.

Interestingly, in both cases I discovered the flats the morning after the ride. Both were small pin holes and in both cases I made it home unaware I had punctured. I believe because the tube was effectively glued to the tire so that the tire keep the tube from losing air - allowing me to ride home unaware on a punctured tube.

With that said, that's only a theory. But it did get me wondering.

Is it better to use talcum powder to make removing the tube easier? If a tube is stuck to the tire, does it effect rolling resistance one way or the other? Or, if by not using talcum powder, does that cause the tire to act as a barrier when the tube is punctured?

If there is hole in the tube, there's one in the tire. I'd say powder to allow tube to move around inside tire....put some goop in the tube(Orange Seal).

Mikej
11-28-2016, 08:53 AM
If there is hole in the tube, there's one in the tire. I'd say powder to allow tube to move around inside tire....put some goop in the tube(Orange Seal).

Not true -I have snake bitted more times than punctured. Sort of like skinning your knee with jeans on - no hole, but plenty of scrape.

benb
11-28-2016, 09:01 AM
I doubt the tube is moving much with or without powder once it's inflated. The air pressure is pushing the tube very hard against the inside of the tire and it's a very large surface to maintain friction. It's really, really hard to see how putting powder on the tube is going to make any difference other than making it easier to pull the tube out later. (As if it's actually hard, we cyclists seem to complain about any effort that involves arms?)

I've gotten tubes that had powder pre-applied but I never go putting it in. I rarely flat, like I flat less often than once every 5-6000 miles. If you flat a lot it would be really hard to believe it has to do with powder or lack of powder on a tube.

mcteague
11-28-2016, 09:45 AM
Another POV:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/talcum.html

Tim

Curve_in
11-28-2016, 10:00 AM
Another POV:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/talcum.html

Tim

Wow. I've been using powder since Regan was president!

FlashUNC
11-28-2016, 10:05 AM
Total waste of time.

Dead Man
11-28-2016, 10:18 AM
I don't know about you guys, but round 'hur, powder in the tire would just become soup in the tire in the first 20 minutes of the first ride. And though soup in the tire probably can't really hurt much, I also don't see how it's gonna help anything.

merckx
11-28-2016, 10:23 AM
What happens when CRR is measured?

Bob Ross
11-28-2016, 10:42 AM
A decade ago someone told me about the powder thing and I figured "I guess that makes sense" so I started doing it. But after a few years I got lazy and so stopped doing it

...and then just a few weeks ago I was changing a flat, and I couldn't pull the tube out of the tire because a section of it had fused to the inside of the tire casing!!!

I briefly entertained the notion that the universe was punishing me for my laziness and that I should go back to powdering my tubes.

But laziness is a powerful incentive, so...

shovelhd
11-28-2016, 11:17 AM
Latex yes, butyl no.

11-28-2016, 11:21 AM
Apologies to Sheldon, but ...

First, be sure it's talcum rather than corn starch. Read the label. Corn starch turns into glue when any water reaches it, and glue ... sticks things together.

Second, we did some experiments several years ago about the whole "tube movement" thang. We marked the tire and the tube in several spots and went back later to see if the tube had moved. It had, sometimes quite dramatically. It also had rotated at times as well. If you think about it, every wheel revolution pinches and squeezes the tire a bit, and that can cause the tube to move slightly. Cumulatively, it can move a fair bit. We never found the tube bunching up against the valve stem, but it definitely did move. Take a Sharpie and try it for yourself.

Third, talcum does help "relax" the position of the tire inside the tube prior to pumping it up. When you put the tube inside the tire, it helps even out some of the tighter and looser areas. It helps make your installation better, unless you are already a perfect stuffer of inner tubes.

And the tube isn't going to vulcanize to the tire -- not sure where that came from -- but there's all kinds of waxes and finishing compounds on the inside of the tire as a result of manufacturing processes and those definitely can make the tube stick. i can't count how many times I've pulled a tire off and had to strip the tube out with a fair bit of force.

johnniecakes
11-28-2016, 11:29 AM
I always powder the inside of the tire before inserting a tube, just makes it easier for me. I doubt it really affects anything other installation/removal

fourflys
11-28-2016, 11:36 AM
two things...

1. how are you guys getting enough water inside your tire to turn anything pasty or soupy?

2. The main reason I taught to use power is because it allows the tube to move a bit when seating the final bead of the tire or when pumping up the tube, this relates to less pinch flats/etc when changing a tire (think super tight tires and getting them seated).

#2 could account for the movement of the tube in the tire mentioned above...

in short, yes I powder my tubes... ;)

Dead Man
11-28-2016, 11:50 AM
two things...

1. how are you guys getting enough water inside your tire to turn anything pasty or soupy?

2. The main reason I taught to use power is because it allows the tube to move a bit when seating the final bead of the tire or when pumping up the tube, this relates to less pinch flats/etc when changing a tire (think super tight tires and getting them seated).

#2 could account for the movement of the tube in the tire mentioned above...

in short, yes I powder my tubes... ;)

Unless you've got tubeless-ready rims, all your spoke holes and the valve stem hole are entry points for water. if you ride in the rain, and we do up here in Cascadia, your tubes get wet. And quick.

Tony
11-28-2016, 11:50 AM
Latex yes, butyl no.

Yes, latex, inflating helps the tube find its place.

palincss
11-28-2016, 12:01 PM
Not true -I have snake bitted more times than punctured. Sort of like skinning your knee with jeans on - no hole, but plenty of scrape.

Snakebites in my experience are pretty rare. If you're getting them a lot, I'd suggest you take a good hard look at your tire pressure -- perhaps your pump's gauge is defective and reading low? -- your tire size (wider tires need less pressure) and your riding style (do you get off the saddle when hitting sharp bumps?).

fourflys
11-28-2016, 12:05 PM
Unless you've got tubeless-ready rims, all your spoke holes and the valve stem hole are entry points for water. if you ride in the rain, and we do up here in Cascadia, your tubes get wet. And quick.

Ah, I guess that would make sense... thanks!

palincss
11-28-2016, 12:05 PM
I use talc (real talc, not cornstarch) to powder an area where I've just applied a patch. There's always an area of glue larger than the patch, and even when dry it's sticker than the tube and the patch.

kevinvc
11-28-2016, 12:37 PM
If I'm installing a new tube at home and feel like taking the extra time (all 90 seconds or so), I'll occasionally add some talc. I do it more because I think it might help with seating the tube, particularly if it's a new stiff tire as well. I've had a couple of unpowdered tubes blow up on the bike stand when I fully inflated them. I've never had that happen when I've used talc. My assumption is that it is purely coincidental and all about not seating it properly, but... I figure it can't hurt and might possibly help a wee bit.

I've never had any goopage result from riding in the rain.

oldpotatoe
11-28-2016, 12:43 PM

Ok fine, but still powder. No powder isn't a 'fix' for holes in tube was my point.

BTW, in the years I have ridden clinchers, this .1 of a ton, cyclist has never pinched flatted.

Mikej
11-28-2016, 02:45 PM
Ok fine, but still powder. No powder isn't a 'fix' for holes in tube was my point.

BTW, in the years I have ridden clinchers, this .1 of a ton, cyclist has never pinched flatted.

I mtb a lot !

classtimesailer
11-28-2016, 03:23 PM
My spare tubes (usually with a patch or three) go in a zip-lock baggie with some baby powder and then in the saddle bag. The powder helps the tube find its place in the tire -- especially after the install - inflate - deflate - and inflate again procedure.

redir
11-28-2016, 03:40 PM
I did it years ago and stopped after reading the Sheldon Brown article. Not so much because of the article but just laziness and an excuse to not really have to do it.

As others have mentioned it definitely does help in installing the tube as well as uninstalling the tube.

charliedid
11-28-2016, 03:48 PM
We always talc your tires.....flat fix or new.

Black Dog
11-28-2016, 04:48 PM
Latex yes, butyl no.

This. Latex will stick to the tire much more so than butyl. All the latex tube makers recommend using talc.

Ralph
11-28-2016, 05:02 PM
I had a flat about 2 weeks ago on a tire that had been mounted a year or so ago, and hanging in my hot garage (Florida) over the summer.

I had great difficulty (on the side of the road) to get tire unstuck from the rim, and the tube unstuck from the tire.....and this on a rim that normally you only need one tire iron to get a tire off and just fingers to get it back on. I think I'll use some talc on wheels I hang up for a while.

oldpotatoe
11-29-2016, 05:29 AM
I mtb a lot !

what is the 'mtb' thing you talk about??;):rolleyes::o:D

jmal
11-29-2016, 05:45 AM
what is the 'mtb' thing you talk about??;):rolleyes::o:D

It's an activity that gained popularity roughly 30 years ago, and greatly added to the enjoyment of being on two wheels in the outdoors.:beer:

No powder, btw.

victoryfactory
11-29-2016, 05:52 AM
I agree with 11.4 :

"Third, talcum does help "relax" the position of the tire inside the tube prior to pumping it up. When you put the tube inside the tire,
it helps even out some of the tighter and looser areas. It helps make your installation better, unless you are already a perfect stuffer of inner tubes."

Tubes are much easier to seat in the tire if they have a bit of talc. I also blow
a tiny bit* of air in them before installation to avoid twisting and rim pinching when inflating.
I consider the bit of air essential to trouble free tube replacement.
The talc is nice if you're home.

*Just enough to allow the tube to hold it's shape, not so much to prevent remounting. This keeps the tube from getting pinched between the tire and the rim.

VF

OtayBW
11-29-2016, 06:52 AM
I simply do not use or need talc for butyl tuybs and never have a problem seating them correctly. Latex, however, is a beeyatch....

AllanVarcoe
12-01-2016, 01:18 AM
I don't do it because it adds weight to my bike. Who needs to be lugging around all that extra weight?!?!?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

FierteTi52
12-01-2016, 08:20 AM
I've been using baby powder for years, smells good too.

54ny77
12-01-2016, 10:49 AM
use the other white powder in your tubes, you'll go faster.

http://66.media.tumblr.com/7c89a836ed33857e01e542bf85b79c21/tumblr_nvaf11kTr71rmnfvao1_1280.jpg