PDA

View Full Version : Locking Skewers

bjf
11-27-2016, 08:53 PM
I'm setting up a city bike for a friend, who wants to use it for grocery shopping trips. I'm thinking the security regime should be a U Lock for the frame/ rear wheel, and maybe a locking skewer for the front wheel. Does anyone have experience with them? Which ones -- positive or negative? Thanks.

jtakeda
11-27-2016, 09:14 PM
I like the pinhead skewers.

I use them front and rear in downtown SF and haven't had a problem.

So locking front and rear skewers. U lock for frame. Rare earth magnets for stem and headset and seatpost bolt.

NHAero
11-27-2016, 09:26 PM
please explain rare earth magnet reference, thank you

QUOTE=jtakeda;2083073]I like the pinhead skewers.

So locking front and rear skewers. U lock for frame. Rare earth magnets for stem and headset and seatpost bolt.[/QUOTE]

jtakeda
11-27-2016, 09:32 PM
please explain rare earth magnet reference, thank you

QUOTE=jtakeda;2083073]I like the pinhead skewers.

So locking front and rear skewers. U lock for frame. Rare earth magnets for stem and headset and seatpost bolt.[/QUOTE]

little rare earth magnet ball bearings.

I stick them in the hex nut holes. pretty hard to get out unless you have a strong pen magnet and it makes it so people cant walk off with my brakes (has happened) or my cockpit or saddle and post.

cadence90
11-27-2016, 10:09 PM
little rare earth magnet ball bearings.

I stick them in the hex nut holes. pretty hard to get out unless you have a strong pen magnet and it makes it so people cant walk off with my brakes (has happened) or my cockpit or saddle and post.
Interesting idea. I just got some rare earth pedal/spoke magnets and those things sure are strong.

What size ball bearings will fit M5 and M6 allen bolts?

jtakeda
11-29-2016, 10:58 PM
Interesting idea. I just got some rare earth pedal/spoke magnets and those things sure are strong.

What size ball bearings will fit M5 and M6 allen bolts?

I cant remember. I'll ask my buddy.
He ordered a bunch of them on amazon or ebay or something and just gave me a handful.

cadence90
11-29-2016, 11:42 PM
I cant remember. I'll ask my buddy.
He ordered a bunch of them on amazon or ebay or something and just gave me a handful.

Great, thanks.