PDA

View Full Version : ...

cadence90
11-27-2016, 05:22 PM
.... ..

markoprotic
11-27-2016, 06:28 PM
She might, still to early to tell. Her form is good and it will get better as season goes. This might be her year. Anna Fenninger, now Veith is back .... Austrians always have good skiers. I'll tell you more after I see how they perform in Soelden.

Marko

cadence90
11-27-2016, 07:17 PM
.... ..

verticaldoug
11-28-2016, 03:50 AM
In an interview, Ms Shiffrin said she was planning on running the downhill in Lake Louise in early December.

Historically, the dominant technical skiers, Stenmark, Tomba, have not done well in the speed events. The only one to really come close has been Anja Parsons of Sweden who managed to win a few in each discipline.

It seems foolish to risk dominance in the salom for downhill which has a much higher injury rate. At her present rate of winning, she should just continue to focus on technical events and go after Stenmark's all time victory total of 86

cadence90
11-28-2016, 04:32 AM
.... ..

verticaldoug
12-02-2016, 12:46 PM
1st of 2 downhills at Lake Louise for the Women start today.
Shiffrin is #31. It will be interesting to see how she handles a speed event.

http://www.lakelouisealpineskiworldcup.com/start-list.html

mgm777
12-02-2016, 01:05 PM
Shiffrin is a BEAST for sure. A technical beast, so her downhill acumen remains to be discovered. Also, she is nowhere near LV's size. Vonn is a monster. As previously noted, Shiffrin is very young and still developing as a skier at a very fast rate. IMHO, Shiffrin's potential is HUGE.

cadence90
12-02-2016, 02:38 PM
.... ..

jh_on_the_cape
12-02-2016, 07:14 PM
Does anyone know how to watch this on a computer? It's on NBC. the downhill in canuckistan.

Burke mountain academy girl!

cadence90
12-02-2016, 07:28 PM
.... ..

sitzmark
12-02-2016, 07:30 PM
Does anyone know how to watch this on a computer? It's on NBC. the downhill in canuckistan.

Burke mountain academy girl!

NBC Sports App last week - K-ton World Cup. Live and replays. Enjoy!

cadence90
12-02-2016, 08:43 PM
.... ..

cadence90
12-27-2016, 03:40 PM
.... ..

cadence90
12-28-2016, 07:54 PM
.... ..

djg
12-30-2016, 12:45 PM
I love watching her race -- the best technical skier I've seen on the women's side, at least since I've been paying attention (my awareness of ski racing probably dates back to around the time Killy ruled the '68 Olympics on the men's side, although I was a little kid then and didn't really know anything).

Three more victories (7 straight in slalom?) and it's plain she can race GS with the best as well. I don't see any reason she cannot improve at the speed events -- she's not big but she's not tiny either, and adding a little mass, a little more strength, and . . . who knows?

There are not many who ever have the career she had before she hit 21. As a great sports poet once said, it's tough to make predictions, especially about the future. But she's a hell of a ski racer right now and I hope we'll be watching her for some time to come.

verticaldoug
12-30-2016, 01:01 PM
With her dominance in the salom, the Combine is a natural extension for her. She just has to be competent in downhill, with her SL skill, she should be able to podium in the combine. A combine podium will give her enough cushion to win the overall although the way she is going, SL and GS may be more than enough.

cadence90
12-30-2016, 02:12 PM
.... ..

cadence90
02-16-2017, 11:30 PM
.... ..

djg
02-20-2017, 03:05 PM
I don't know if this changes the "greatest ever" calculation, or how to do the calculation, but chapeau, tip o' the helmet, and yay for her World Championship performance so far. :hello::beer:

pdmtong
03-12-2017, 02:04 PM
I watched the WC cup yesterday. Wish I was there live. She gaffed the first gate and smoked the lower third of the course. How often are you going to hear the winner say she felt like Holdener gave it away rather than she winning it?

The two Steve(s) (S and P) we will have to suffer through during NBCSN TdF coverage were their as annoying fo ski racing.

cadence90
03-12-2017, 02:36 PM
.... ..

cadence90
03-19-2017, 02:39 PM
.... ..

wallymann
03-19-2017, 06:29 PM
tina maze?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qcEVMS4sFI

edit: retired

cadence90
03-19-2017, 08:34 PM
.... ..

verticaldoug
12-04-2017, 10:52 AM
One victory in the downhill does not make it a given, but I always expected Shiffrin to take a few more years to get the speed events.

If she can keep her Slalom form while continuing to improve in speed events, she can have such a special season.

It's nice to see her deliver the goods after the glowing article in Outside. But Outside has been infatuated with this young women since she was in high school. So far, they have been spot on.

https://www.outsideonline.com/2263506/dont-worry-about-it-and-youll-be-great-said-nobody

She understand the old Lemond adage, 'It never gets easy, you just go faster'

Force
12-04-2017, 11:53 AM
Interesting article about her in the New Yorker recently as well.

72gmc
12-04-2017, 12:30 PM
That New Yorker article is an interesting study on parenting a prodigy.

(full disclosure--I am a New Yorker subscriber and own their book of dog cartoons)

merlinmurph
12-04-2017, 01:15 PM
I still vividly remember her second slalom run in the olympics. She messed up a gate pretty badly, but made an amazing recovery and got the gold. We're going to be watching her for quite awhile.

BikeNY
12-04-2017, 02:52 PM
BIG fan of Mikaela here! I think she was as surprised as anyone after her 3rd place and then a win in those 2 downhills. Somehow those races just set up well for here between the snow conditions, the terrain, and the lighting. She also had a 5th on the SG on the same hill. She is certainly on track to be the most successful alpine skier of all time. That said, DH and SG will not be a regular thing for her this season, or even the next couple of seasons. She had some spare time between her usual SL and GS schedule, and wanted some practice for the Combined, which she will be competing in at the Olympics. There's an outside chance she could race the DH and SG at the Olympics, but it's a small chance.

Anytime you add more speed training and races to the schedule. you loose training time for her main SL and GS events, which she is not willing to do right now. I'm looking forward to watching her for many years to come. I got to watch her race this year and last year at Killington, which was a treat!

Nice to see Mr. GS, Ted Ligety, back on snow again as well!

sales guy
12-04-2017, 03:32 PM
No sure who this is I have not really followed any sport in serious regularity. Even the Warriors/NBA. If you asked me something I'd totally botch it up.

BUT, I wanna say, reading the first paragraph, I was like huh? The writing was trying to be cute. The second, it was all about tanned blonde ski goddess. It's amazing that in todays culture, normally, if a guy said that, there'd be a month long beat down. Just look at the Pinarello ad! But since the writer is a woman, I'm guessing there will be little to no backlash.

Not saying either is ok. Just funny the double standards out there.

cadence90
12-04-2017, 05:17 PM
.... ..

FL_MarkD
12-04-2017, 08:21 PM
Just finished reading the article in the magazine. She is certainly a special person/athlete. I wish her great success in the Olympics.

ride29
12-04-2017, 08:27 PM
Looking forward to seeing how she does in the olympics, especially with Vonn competing as well.

gasman
12-04-2017, 09:57 PM
Merged
I'll be rooting for her and Vonn.

jlwdm
12-04-2017, 10:16 PM

BUT, I wanna say, reading the first paragraph, I was like huh? The writing was trying to be cute. The second, it was all about tanned blonde ski goddess. It's amazing that in todays culture, normally, if a guy said that, there'd be a month long beat down. Just look at the Pinarello ad! But since the writer is a woman, I'm guessing there will be little to no backlash.

Not saying either is ok. Just funny the double standards out there.

I think you have to look at how goddess is being used. I think it is referring to her skiing prowess and not her looks.

Jeff

cadence90
12-04-2017, 10:17 PM
.... ..

cadence90
12-04-2017, 10:23 PM
.... ..

jlwdm
12-04-2017, 11:27 PM
Really? :confused:

Yes really. I don't think anyone is going to put her in a beautiful category.

Jeff

cadence90
12-05-2017, 12:02 AM
.... ..

BikeNY
12-05-2017, 11:00 AM
Yes really. I don't think anyone is going to put her in a beautiful category.

Jeff

Why not??? I personally think she is very attractive. But that has nothing to do with why I like her a s a skier. I honestly think the article is trying to convey how fit she is, not how attractive she is. The other point of the article is how damn hard she works. She doesn't just rely on her incredible talent, but also works harder than everyone else on the circuit. That way she can race at 90% and still win, instead of racing at 105% and risking major mistakes or crashes.

sales guy
12-05-2017, 12:29 PM
See, I've never seen or heard of her. I wouldn't know what she looked like. But the first paragraph made her sound pretty hardcore for her training. Then the second went into her looks and made me think she's hot(still hadn't seen the pics yet). Or as the writer put a blonde tanned ski goddess. Honestly, that part made me think totally different about her. Not sure if the writer was trying to do both- make her hardcore and a "goddess". It was a great read but that second paragraph, kind of off-putting.

Mark McM
12-05-2017, 12:41 PM
See, I've never seen or heard of her. I wouldn't know what she looked like. But the first paragraph made her sound pretty hardcore for her training. Then the second went into her looks and made me think she's hot(still hadn't seen the pics yet). Or as the writer put a blonde tanned ski goddess. Honestly, that part made me think totally different about her. Not sure if the writer was trying to do both- make her hardcore and a "goddess". It was a great read but that second paragraph, kind of off-putting.

So, my take away is that equating "goddess" with "hot woman" implies that you primarily value women for their looks. If you heard a man described as like a "god" in their vocation, would you first think about power or omniscience, or would you first think about what he looks like?

sales guy
12-05-2017, 01:14 PM
So, my take away is that equating "goddess" with "hot woman" implies that you primarily value women for their looks. If you heard a man described as like a "god" in their vocation, would you first think about power or omniscience, or would you first think about what he looks like?

Actually, when men like Brad Pitt, Chris Hemsworth and others are put up for Hottest Man or whatever for like People Magazine, yeah, they do describe them as gods and base it on their looks.

Personally, like I said, I could care less. I don't know who she is. Never seen or heard of her before. If the writer had just said ski goddess, VS blonde tanned ski goddess, I wouldn't be making my comment.

And if you read what I said before Mark, you'll see that I was commenting on the negative writing and how it sexualized her. Should've read back a page and saw what I wrote before jumping on me that I only value women for their looks.

veloduffer
12-06-2017, 09:27 AM
[URL="https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=196755&highlight=shiffrin"]

That said, watching this season's races on NBC, reading post-race coverage, and acknowledging that Vonn hasn't had the best start to her own season, I really hope that Vonn breaks Stenmark's record before the press completely dumps her for Shiffrin. I get the feeling that they are all quite ready to put Vonn out to pasture, and I'm hoping instead that Vonn has a stellar Olympics and WC season.

I hope Vonn breaks the record, too. Speaking of hard workouts, I can’t imagine what Vonn’s rehab has been after some of the terrible injuries that she’s endured and yet climbed back to one of the top skiers.

I read that Vonn wants to compete against the men in downhill. Supposedly, her training run times have been competitive. She is strong, enough that she uses men’s ski models to race on.

Shiffrin may want to think about speed events and career longevity (due to injuries).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chuckred
12-06-2017, 01:40 PM
For fun, google some of the you tube videos of Lindsey Vonn and Mikela Schiffren working out. We're talking some serious toughness, agility and strength...

jh_on_the_cape
12-06-2017, 01:52 PM
For "fun"????;)

For fun, google some of the you tube videos of Lindsey Vonn and Mikela Schiffren working out. We're talking some serious toughness, agility and strength...

72gmc
12-06-2017, 02:04 PM
Shiffrin may want to think about speed events and career longevity (due to injuries).

As a fan of skiing and both of these athletes, I've been hoping that Mikaela would not feel pulled into the speed events. I want to believe she can follow the Ingemar Stenmark career path and not be held together by pins when she retires.

cadence90
12-06-2017, 03:14 PM
.... ..

tuscanyswe
12-06-2017, 03:34 PM
As a fan of skiing and both of these athletes, I've been hoping that Mikaela would not feel pulled into the speed events. I want to believe she can follow the Ingemar Stenmark career path and not be held together by pins when she retires.

Ingemar participated in the swedish tv show champion of champions (guess you have something similar in US) in 2011 at 55 years of age competing vs various different and younger athletes from sweden.

Since he is ingemar he ofcourse won the show that season.

Not all events were physical ofc but damn that man was and is as fit as ever, amazing really.

Here he is jumping at 55, amazing shape regardless of age!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZbZXprCUXo

Three years later he win the swedish "lets dance" season of 2015 and makes a similar jump, guess he is close to 60 here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rkv2I6yQItA

cadence90
12-06-2017, 09:16 PM
.... ..

tuscanyswe
12-07-2017, 08:02 AM
^
Apparently those videos are not viewable in USA, but I can imagine his current physical condition...definitely NOT the current Tomas Brolin, eh? ;)

EDIT: Whoa...here is Stenmark meeting Lindsey Vonn (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwWUnlyZZAM) (in Feb 2017, tuscanyswe?)...he really does look in incredible shape considering he's now 61. Impressive.

Interesting and good interview, questions, etc. actually.

Stenmark is so incredibly smart. It used to be written that he could actually feel the difference between ONE and TWO layers of masking tape between his boot and his ski, in order to adjust his cant. I completely believe that; he was such an incredible technician, and maybe had the best feel ever.

She is definitely the one who most deserves to break his record if it falls.

Id rather his record stand tbh :)
He wins everything he enters and yes he is incredibly calculating on top of his massive technique and skill.

Pitty you can't see those in US but here is a lousy cellphone vid of the same. At age 60 more or less.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35497133@N04/25021109638/in/dateposted/

BikeNY
12-07-2017, 08:12 AM
BTW, Vonn has petitioned FIS to let her race against the men, and they are actually considering it now after many years of just saying no. They will not make a decision until after the Olympics, and it wouldn't happen until the '18-'19 season. I doubt they will agree to it, but if they do, it would probably be something like an exhibition event, and probably at Lake Louise.

glepore
12-07-2017, 08:32 AM
I'm in awe of Mikaela's dedication and ability, but am I alone in getting a little creepy about how much "molding" went on by her tiger mom?

cadence90
12-07-2017, 03:50 PM
.... ..

BikeNY
12-07-2017, 05:23 PM
...and then Tomba came along. :D

He was certainly fun to watch, but I don't think he had the same work ethic as Shiffrin and Stenmark;)

tuscanyswe
12-07-2017, 05:56 PM
La bomba.

I still remember watching him stop after a miss, track back a step or 2 get back in the line, finish and win.

Was pretty fast when he was on it! :)

cadence90
12-07-2017, 06:41 PM
.... ..

cadence90
12-16-2017, 06:56 PM
.... ..

verticaldoug
12-16-2017, 09:34 PM
Shiffrin probably has another 2 or 3 years before her competitors figure out what she is doing different in the slalom and copy it. Or one of the European federations pays big money to get the info from the coaches. Her yearly win totals will slow. If she stays healthy, she can get the record, but she will not blow by it.

cadence90
12-17-2017, 02:07 AM
.... ..

cadence90
12-20-2017, 08:55 PM
.... ..

wallymann
12-21-2017, 03:24 PM
Agree completely on Shiffrin and the speed events...win or not the other day, her body just does not seem built to withstand that abuse over years and years.

shiffrin has been steadily bulking up as she's matured. compared to when she first hit the scene, she's alot thicker and more solid -- no longer a little pixie.

give her a couple more years she'll close the weight/muscle gap to vonn and the others.

cadence90
12-21-2017, 04:34 PM
.... ..

BikeNY
12-22-2017, 08:03 AM
I'm not so sure; Shiffrin may be close to her peak weight/condition right now, with no real reason to bulk up even more. Shiffrin is 5'-7"/140#, while Vonn is 5'-10"/160#. Vonn has always looked and looks bigger, stronger; her body type is just different, which is one reason she excels in the speed events. Shiffrin will never make up the 3" height difference, so adding +/- 20 more pounds could actually be disadvantageous.

Shiffrin's is very light, very precise, on her skis; her build and skills make her a prime slalom/giant slalom racer; and she has been completely dominant with the body she now has. It is logical that she should above all work to improve her musculature/flexibility and technique for those events, where she will not only very often be in contention for years to come, but also injure herself far less.

Completely agree with you here. She will never be as big and powerful as Vonn. But that's OK. She can continue to excel at SL & GS, and then dabble a bit more in the speed events. Some courses will be better suited to her precision and style, and she knows exactly which ones those are, and she will target those. The courses where the heavier gliders do well will not be where she does well.

cadence90
12-26-2017, 08:40 PM
.... ..

cadence90
01-07-2018, 02:05 AM
.... ..

Tickdoc
01-07-2018, 08:11 PM
Amazing. That was fun to watch and can’t wait to see what happens in Pyeongchang.

cadence90
01-07-2018, 08:31 PM
.... ..

Tickdoc
01-07-2018, 08:33 PM
I don't know how she/others handle that course, but if she performs anything like today, in the slalom at least...historic, embarrassing margins of victory.

She is light-years ahead of all her slalom competitors and will probably get there soon in GS as well.

Yep. That was a REALLY tough course. Watching the men eat it up now.

cadence90
01-07-2018, 08:49 PM
.... ..

Tickdoc
01-07-2018, 09:12 PM
A men's Kranjska replay (the men were in Adelboden (SUI) this weekend)? Where are you watching it? I would like to watch that.

Yes, Kranjska Gora is basically a Men's course; I think they ran the Women's races there this year only because of lack of snow at Maribor or whatever the original SLO venue was.

But I have no idea how Kranjska Gora compares to Yongpyong (Pyeongchang) as a hill.

Adelboden 9n Olympic channel.

cadence90
01-08-2018, 12:03 AM
.... ..

BikeNY
01-09-2018, 11:12 AM
Yeah, she has been unbeatable the last 2 weeks, just makes it look easy. I think there is a couple of week break now for the tech events, with some DH and SG races instead. I'm pretty sure she will not be racing any of those, maybe a combined if there is one? She doesn't need to chase overall WC points as she has such a huge lead. She will likely spend her time training wherever she can find conditions that she thinks will mimic the Olympic conditions the most.

And no, I'm pretty sure you won't see her pull a Bode(skiing of the fence)!

BikeNY
01-10-2018, 08:10 AM
Sorry, I was wrong, There was one more Women's SL yesterday. One more win in the books for Mikaela, number 41 I believe.

cadence90
01-14-2018, 06:31 PM
.... ..

cadence90
01-14-2018, 06:38 PM
.... ..

cadence90
01-19-2018, 10:29 PM
.... ..

cadence90
01-20-2018, 04:44 PM
.... ..

Hakkalugi
01-20-2018, 06:38 PM
I am psyched to see Jackie on the podium. I’m a bit biased as I was her coach for 5 years. The US women are heading towards Korea with good momentum.

cadence90
01-20-2018, 09:34 PM
.... ..

Hakkalugi
01-20-2018, 11:04 PM
No kidding? Good job!
She seems like a fun person; and moving up the FIS WC rankings, right?
#35 bib for tomorrow's Super-G, will be hard to podium again.

They sure are, but ITA are on a good roll too. The battles should be fun.

Yeah, she’s awesome. I wish I could claim credit for her success, I helped build the foundation and other, more skilled coaches got her to where she is today. Jackie’s always been willing to push herself (and boundaries) hard. The women’s tour is more exciting than people give it credit for, and their races are more fun than the men’s. The atmosphere is very different: Atle and Markus take care of that tour and make sure every grain of snow is perfect.

Today’s Hannenkamm was pretty awesome as well (actually so was the SG, too). The slalom hill looks dead flat on TV but it’s more like a skiercross course with gates. I haven’t been there in a long time and miss it. I think my knees would still get me down the piste but the next day might be questionable. Next on the list is visiting there in summer to ride my bike; the Kitzbuheler Horn looks pretty sweet.

cadence90
01-20-2018, 11:22 PM
.... ..

Hakkalugi
01-20-2018, 11:56 PM
^
What, are you some kind of completely crazy Martian???". :)

Kitz is a special kind of scary, mostly because it’s Kitz. I was pretty nervous on that pitch, and for reference, I’ve pulled bundles of A-net down the Brink at Beaver Creek. That’s much steeper, and when you do it, you’re downhill of a 250lb net and you’re on a 45 degree race surface (ice). You’re also leaning back (downhill, as you are facing up the fall line, and pulling as hard as possible to get it moving. As soon as it goes, it swings around below you, and you have to both control your speed and get it to your destination without going too low, because hiking it is not an option. It’s pretty fun for the first couple, then you get tired).

Kitz, though, with empty hands, is straight-up horrifying, and it’s not even that steep. By gate 2 (setting up for Mausefalle, 3 is the jump), racers are going at least 50mph, and the race surface redefines “firm”. Alta Scneisse is an off-camber hole that wants to eat you, and the traverse below Hausberg is just ridiculous. Still, it’s an amazing pitch, and the aura that surrounds it is beyond description. It’s truly a bucket list thing to see the race, more so if you’re inside the fences.

cadence90
01-21-2018, 12:56 AM
.... ..

sfscott
01-21-2018, 12:53 PM
Where is everyone getting TV for these races?

cadence90
01-21-2018, 03:17 PM
.... ..

David Kirk
01-21-2018, 06:06 PM
Where is everyone getting TV for these races?

NBCSN has a few hours of racing again tonight.

dave

martl
01-22-2018, 04:48 AM
i highly recommend the feature movie "Streif - one hell of a ride" produced by Red Bull.

They highlight the history of the race with amazing archive footage, and give an insight into what it takes to prepare for that race on behalf of the technical crew, but also naturally of the top riders, and they follow an outsider from Belarus, too.
Some of the most spectacular cinematography i've seen in a while.

Yuri Danilochkin is my hero now, btw, and his mum Natali even more so :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozGGFpoCpBQ

cadence90
01-22-2018, 06:05 AM
.... ..

Hakkalugi
01-22-2018, 07:56 AM
i highly recommend the feature movie "Streif - one hell of a ride" produced by Red Bull

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozGGFpoCpBQ

Amazing movie, completely riveting. It does an excellent job of showing the effort that both the athletes and organizers go through to put on 3 days of racing. It’s the best view of ski racing for anyone who’s never been part of the circus firsthand.

verticaldoug
01-23-2018, 03:54 AM
http://theforwardpodcast.libsyn.com/bode-miller

Lance interviewed Bode on his Forward podcast. It is an interesting interview if you care to listen. They cover a lot of stuff.

At the 35minute mark Bode touches on LV racing the men. He has an interesting take on it.

Mr. Pink
01-23-2018, 09:27 AM
Thanks for that. I'm just into podcasts lately on my long drives to ski hills. Avoiding Lance for obvious reasons, but that looks good.

Btw, beware of DVRing (is that a word?) the NBC sports ski racing. Start and end times seem to be arbitrary. Maybe if a hockey game or something goes late it screws up their schedule.

verticaldoug
01-23-2018, 11:15 AM
Thanks for that. I'm just into podcasts lately on my long drives to ski hills. Avoiding Lance for obvious reasons, but that looks good.

Btw, beware of DVRing (is that a word?) the NBC sports ski racing. Start and end times seem to be arbitrary. Maybe if a hockey game or something goes late it screws up their schedule.

With skiing, the weather is fickle. Starts times are always tentative. So if you are recording a live event, it never works out. Best to record a rebroadcast. And yeah, hockey is a money sport and can bump .

The Bode podcast is good. He had an issue with doping and called out Lance long ago. Lance addresses this from the get go. It is an interesting podcast. I enjoyed the part when they are discussing being scared.

Mr. Pink
01-23-2018, 11:45 AM
Well, that women's GS race that I got ten minutes chopped off of last night wasn't live.

christian
01-23-2018, 06:54 PM
Ingemar participated in the swedish tv show champion of champions (guess you have something similar in US) in 2011 at 55 years of age competing vs various different and younger athletes from sweden.

Here’s the video of Ingemar jumping with Gunde, viewable from the US. Skip to 0:54 to see his vertical leap. As Ingemar would say, “Det bar å hopp.”

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CKnHsJzLwco

I happen to be 20 years younger, to the day, than Ingemar. If you grow up in Sweden this will be pointed out to you every so often.

cadence90
01-24-2018, 03:57 AM
.... ..

cadence90
01-24-2018, 04:09 AM
.... ..

Lionel
01-24-2018, 04:16 AM
Vonn would get her ass kicked really bad on a men's course against the best.

cadence90
01-24-2018, 04:58 AM
.... ..

VTCaraco
01-28-2018, 10:14 AM
Just saw the headlines and I'd love to hear the analysis of the folks that have contributed here...

cadence90
01-28-2018, 06:51 PM
.... ..

cadence90
02-04-2018, 02:11 PM
.... ..

likebikes
02-20-2018, 02:49 AM
mikaela shiffrin: biggest olympic letdown ever?

Caballero
02-20-2018, 03:07 AM

She’s won one gold and still has other events. Not the 5 Gold she was chasing, but hey - better than most others.

sfscott
02-20-2018, 05:02 AM

Do you actually follow ski racing regularly?

Tickdoc
02-20-2018, 05:50 AM

Not sweeping the medals like everyone predicted, but I'm not counting her out. Imagine the work she'll put in over the next four years to master the downhill.

Still a fan.

paredown
02-20-2018, 06:10 AM
Not sweeping the medals like everyone predicted, but I'm not counting her out. Imagine the work she'll put in over the next four years to master the downhill.

Still a fan.

To be fair--because of the weather delays and the compressed schedule, she had to race the slalom without a rest day (and you could see she was just not as sharp as her typical self). And the new delays compress the schedule again, so that if she raced the downhill she would be trashed for her next event where she has a reasonable chance of medalling.

Who knows how she would have done if she could have started racing right away with the more open schedule they originally planned. (She seems to be someone who needs to get down to it--I know for me, the worst thing in the world when racing was a delayed start...)

echelon_john
02-20-2018, 06:33 AM
From Mikaela Shiffrin's Instagram after the slalom. I found this really inspirational:

mikaelashiffrin I’ve gone over it a thousand times in my head, and I don’t think I could have done it differently even if I got a second chance. I keep thinking that maybe if I was able to control my emotions more after the Giant Slalom, I would have had more energy for the Slalom and maybe I could have put more into that race, maybe I would have had better control of my nerves, maybe... But after 5 days of schedule changes and waiting to race, and without the day between those races to reset and recharge, I wasn’t able to manage it. And you know what? I wouldn’t change that for the world. It’s the Olympics, and for me that’s about showing heart and passion as much as it is about medals. So I wouldn’t take back my emotions or excitement after the GS in order to have better shot at a SL medal too. You know, it’s not necessarily the medalists who get the most out of the Olympics. It’s those who are willing to strip down to nothing and bear their soul for their love of the game. That is so much greater than Gold, Silver, or Bronze.

We all want a medal, but not everyone will get one. Some are going to leave here feeling like heroes, some will leave heartbroken, and some will have had moments when the felt both- because we care. That is real. That is life. It’s amazing and terrifying and wonderful and brutal and exciting and nerve racking and beautiful. And honestly, I’m just so grateful to be part of that.

likebikes
02-20-2018, 07:01 AM

nope, and i'm only talking about the olympics.

veloduffer
02-20-2018, 01:44 PM

I think you missed the mark here, considering she already has a medal from this and 2014. How about Marcel Hirschner who didn’t medal in 2010 and 2014, and has been one of the most dominant skiers and one of the all time best with 55 World Cup wins? He won two golds this Olympics but coming to this Olympics he had resigned himself to never medaling.

Others “busts” could be Dan Jansen, who dominated speed skating for several years and got only one gold, in probably his least likely event. The list could go own but I think you bought into the hype.

For many sports, the Olympics is not the pinnacle event of the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buzz
02-20-2018, 02:25 PM
https://www.sfgate.com/sports/knapp/article/BODE-MILLER-He-s-the-biggest-bust-in-Olympic-2503372.php

In 2006 Bode Miller was the biggest bust of all time...This topic comes up every Olympics.

Schiffren is doing well in her relatively young career. Pressure to win is greatest on her perhaps of all athletes at Olympics this year given her dominance.

Millers tv analysis is detailed but hard to overcome his flat low energy delivery.

To his credit my nephew raced against him during their teenage years and said he was a genuine guy "a humble champion" who even though he was head and shoulders above every racer would purposefully take it easy so as to make the races fun and competitive for everyone else. Hard to imagine say Armstrong doing that.

Hopefully Schiffren won't become sidetracked by the limelight in her career. That will be her biggest opponent.

cadence90
02-20-2018, 02:36 PM
.... ..

Tickdoc
02-20-2018, 02:53 PM
https://www.sfgate.com/sports/knapp/article/BODE-MILLER-He-s-the-biggest-bust-in-Olympic-2503372.php

In 2006 Bode Miller was the biggest bust of all time...This topic comes up every Olympics.

Schiffren is doing well in her relatively young career. Pressure to win is greatest on her perhaps of all athletes at Olympics this year given her dominance.

Millers tv analysis is detailed but hard to overcome his flat low energy delivery.

To his credit my nephew raced against him during their teenage years and said he was a genuine guy "a humble champion" who even though he was head and shoulders above every racer would purposefully take it easy so as to make the races fun and competitive for everyone else. Hard to imagine say Armstrong doing that.

Hopefully Schiffren won't become sidetracked by the limelight in her career. That will be her biggest opponent.

I gotta say I am really enjoying the technical analysis Bode gives. I always thought him a dufus but have learned alot just listening to him break down the racers.

Mikaela has youth and health on her side. So fun to watch.

jimcav
02-20-2018, 03:26 PM
I gotta say I am really enjoying the technical analysis Bode gives. I always thought him a dufus but have learned alot just listening to him break down the racers.

Mikaela has youth and health on her side. So fun to watch.

I don't know anything about high-level skiing and he has made it much more enjoyable as I have learned what it is I am looking at to the point I can almost "see" some of the skills and variations at that high level. I was just saying it would be nice if they had someone like him to provide the same succinct details on some of the other event coverage

cadence90
02-20-2018, 03:46 PM
.... ..

buddybikes
02-20-2018, 04:38 PM
I'm in "love" with this woman, class act!

PS: my wife approves me saying this

cadence90
02-22-2018, 12:48 AM
.... ..

chrisroph
02-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Each of them is among the greatest alpine skiers in history. We are fortunate to live in an era where we get to see these tremendous athletes perform. While they have had stints of incredible dominance, including Shifrin's slalom skiing earlier this year, they are only human and competing in high risk sports against incredible athletes. Nobody wins everything. Shifrin's Olympic record is fantastic.

Look at what happed to marcel hirscher in the slalom. Does anybody want to label him a failure??

redir
02-22-2018, 03:21 PM
Vonn's run last night was pretty awesome I thought. It's amazing to watch these events. After a while of watching it you start to kind of 'get it.' And you can see something that a skier did that is going to cost them just a fraction of a second. Vonn's run just stood out like a bright light compared to the other ones and these are only very subtly but crucially important things.

cadence90
03-18-2018, 01:01 PM
.... ..

gasman
03-18-2018, 02:45 PM
I watched Shiffrin win the final slalom race of the season by an amazing 1.58 sec.

Simply amazing. She raced all out even though she had the World Cup title sewn up already.

cadence90
03-18-2018, 03:02 PM
.... ..

gasman
03-18-2018, 03:32 PM
That was fantastic. And what REALLY underscores Schiffrin's dominance and virtuosity:
Shiffrin:.......01'46:420
Holdener:.......+01:580
Hansdotter:....+01:590

She is simply on a different level entirely.

Vonn had 5 wins this season; if she also wins 5 next season she will pass Stenmark by 1 victory. It will be very tight, I think.

I agree about Vonn. She's not at the level she once was while still amazing but she's a little older. If she can avoid crashing she has a chance.
I kind of want Shiffrin to stay out of the speed events, mainly the downhill. it too easy to really get hurt.