PDA

View Full Version : High Desert Omnium...in Orygun

William
07-25-2006, 01:48 PM
For the Pacific NW crowd.

http://bendcycling.org/hdo.htm

TT course: 8 miles.

The crit course looks fast. No major turns/corners.

Road course...is that the same course they have run the district championships on? Looks familiar.

Rules: All OBRA Racing rules apply.

TT Info: Racers will leave at 30 second intervals. Numbers on the Right and Lower Back.

Crit Info: Wheel pit is wheels in/wheels out. Free lap rule will be in effect. Numbers on the Right.

RR Info: neutral wheels for RR, please bring yours. Numbers on the right.

Call 541.330.8758 or email hdrr@bendcycling.org for more info.

Fixed
07-25-2006, 01:55 PM
not uscf ? how they do that ?

wasfast
07-25-2006, 02:31 PM
All racing in Oregon is ORBA. see http://www.orba.org. I'm not sure when it changed ( used to be USCF back in the day) but apparently the USCF gets along fine with ORBA. Oregon has an excellent racing calender and lots of participation in the races. Check out the schedule tab to see how much you could be racing.

iml
07-25-2006, 03:11 PM
I think the racing we have in Oregon is as good or better than just about anywhere, at least in terms of events, options, accessibility, and organization. I've lived and raced in Colorado and Europe, and I'd take Oregon over anywhere else. You can be busy with racing from February to December. Indeed, that's almost a problem in itself...

High Desert Omnium is a good event, but September's Skull Hollow Roubaix (same promoter), also in central Oregon, is a true jewel that is guaranteed to grow in stature over time.

Spinner
07-25-2006, 03:20 PM
just returned from a vacation that included time in bend. it was a treat to see bicyclists everywhere, all the time. the riding is hassle free as those in cars are friendly folk. the various riding courses in the area are sublime.

take a ride in oregon, it is sooooooo good.

William
07-25-2006, 03:34 PM
The racing talent in Oregon runs deep. I loved the fact that the season was so long. I caught a little of the Grand Prix from PIR before the TDF coverage. Made me a wee bit sad. Man I miss those twilight races at PIR on Tuesday evenings...at least that's when they were when I was racing there.

William

coylifut
07-25-2006, 03:58 PM
not uscf ? how they do that ?

it happened during the strugle by the "Champion's Club" to steal control of USCF. The Oregon folk sent em packing. From that point on, entry fees, insurance and hassles went down and participation sky rocketed. I'd describe the relationship between OBRA and the USCF as "icy." If fact, I'm surprised that the USCF hasn't tried to sue to take back control.

The credit goes to Mike and Candi Murray. They had a USCF-Free vision. I believe it's turned out better than any one's expectations.

With that said, a few promoters have worked with the USCF to bring in NRC races and cross nats. Cross nats appeared to be nothing more than a money grab by the USCF.

bcm119
07-25-2006, 04:14 PM
All racing in Oregon is ORBA. see http://www.orba.org. I'm not sure when it changed ( used to be USCF back in the day) but apparently the USCF gets along fine with ORBA. Oregon has an excellent racing calender and lots of participation in the races. Check out the schedule tab to see how much you could be racing.

Gary, you reversed some letters there... The correct link is http://www.obra.org , in case anyone was trying to access it.

Although I've never raced anywhere else, I have heard from more than one person that the level of competition in OR is as good as anywhere. We just had a guy move here from Chicago who described himself as a cat 4, soon to be 3. In this past Sunday's circuit race he was blown up in the 4 race by the penultimate lap. To his credit, hes a good sprinter, but he was surprised by the fitness level of the 4's out here.

Fixed
07-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Gary, you reversed some letters there... The correct link is http://www.obra.org , in case anyone was trying to access it.

Although I've never raced anywhere else, I have heard from more than one person that the level of competition in OR is as good as anywhere. We just had a guy move here from Chicago who described himself as a cat 4, soon to be 3. In this past Sunday's circuit race he was blown up in the 4 race by the penultimate lap. To his credit, hes a good sprinter, but he was surprised by the fitness level of the 4's out here.
thanks bro I was thinkin you had to build the course.
cheers

wasfast
07-25-2006, 07:56 PM

Oops....you're right Brian. Glad you caught it.

William
07-25-2006, 07:57 PM
The credit goes to Mike and Candi Murray. They had a USCF-Free vision. I believe it's turned out better than any one's expectations.

I'm happy to see that Mike and Candi are still running the show. Good on em!! :banana:

William

wasfast
07-25-2006, 07:59 PM
it happened during the strugle by the "Champion's Club" to steal control of USCF. The Oregon folk sent em packing. From that point on, entry fees, insurance and hassles went down and participation sky rocketed. I'd describe the relationship between OBRA and the USCF as "icy." If fact, I'm surprised that the USCF hasn't tried to sue to take back control.

The basis for my saying that USCF and OBRA get along was an interview with the new USCF president on VeloNews site earlier this year. He commented that OBRA is one of the best run organizations in the country. I have no first hand knowledge these days for sure.

I do see your point that the USCF would like to reel in a "renegade" organization for the purposes of unity. Not sure how that would happen politically now but it would probably be quite a cat fight given the number of riders in Oregon.

coylifut
07-25-2006, 10:11 PM
The basis for my saying that USCF and OBRA get along was an interview with the new USCF president on VeloNews site earlier this year. He commented that OBRA is one of the best run organizations in the country. I have no first hand knowledge these days for sure.

I do see your point that the USCF would like to reel in a "renegade" organization for the purposes of unity. Not sure how that would happen politically now but it would probably be quite a cat fight given the number of riders in Oregon.

it's not a unity thing, it's a revenue thing. there's now 2000 plus OBRA liscense holders and 250+ events. that's a lot of "non" revenue for usa cycling. there's no way the membership would ever vote to go back. with that said, it pays for usa cycling to say nice things about obra in a courting sort of way. obra members understand fully that obra is for the members and usa cycling is funding mechanism for the the Champions Club pet projects. for obra members, usa cyling is completely irrelevent.

i mentioned cross nats before. here's usa cycling. as far as i know, they provide no financial support for world's team cx team members. however, they hold cross nats in oregon which is bosts the most participated series in the country. it's a good move on their part because they hold it an area with hundreds of crossers and very few of them are uscf members, there by forcing the locals to buy a liscense for one weekend two years straight.