PDA

View Full Version : Are there any disc hubs with 130mm spacing?

stephenmarklay
11-27-2016, 09:11 AM
I saw someone selling a lemond poprad and the lack of hubs is his reason (he says) for selling.

I was just curious of that was the case.

charliedid
11-27-2016, 09:40 AM
Check Velocity and DT-Swiss

11-27-2016, 10:33 AM
You need extra width to accommodate the rotor, so the only way to do this with 130 mm spacing is to narrow further the spacing of the flanges. They are already so close because of adding cogs on the right that wheel strength is compromised. I wouldn't spend money to go in that direction. Plus the industry is now fighting over standards that have all abandoned 130 mm, and it's not like you're dealing with any established standard like 130 mm rim-brake wheels that will be supported for years. Personally, I think it's a waste of money. Show me a 130 mm spaced disc brake Confente and I might try to get a custom hub made. But not for a Poprad.

pbarry
11-27-2016, 11:03 AM
Coiuldn't the rear end be set to 135? It's a steel frame. Any issues with disc/caliper clearance doing that?

Edit: Those drop outs are pretty beefy. It's doubtful the faces could be made parallel after widening the rear triangle.

ergott
11-27-2016, 11:44 AM
I'd pass for that reason alone.

stephenmarklay
11-27-2016, 12:47 PM
Interesting and kinda of a shame for a well revered bike.

stephenmarklay
11-27-2016, 12:47 PM
Coiuldn't the rear end be set to 135? It's a steel frame. Any issues with disc/caliper clearance doing that?

Edit: Those drop outs are pretty beefy. It's doubtful the faces could be made parallel after widening the rear triangle.

Kind of my thoughts too.

happycampyer
11-27-2016, 01:18 PM
I have an old Moots Psychlo-X Disc that was made bitd when rear spacing was still up in the air, and it has 130mm spacing. The rear wheel has a White Industries hub. I've ridden the bike at D2R2 several times, and it worked (and continues to work) fine. At some point I could send the bike back to Moots to have it respaced, but in the meantime the bike is more than serviceable.

Jeff Borisch
11-27-2016, 02:43 PM
Something I'm looking into is get a cheapish rear disc hub like Shimano LX and see if the freehub interface is the same one S has been using for decades.

If so, I have a few quality NOS 7 speed freehubs sitting around. Transplant the freehub, play with some spacers, cross fingers.

I know it's more trouble than it's worth for most people but I already own the frame, and just tossing it is like shooting an old horse.

happycampyer
11-27-2016, 02:51 PM
Something I'm looking into is get a cheapish rear disc hub like Shimano LX and see if the freehub interface is the same one S has been using for decades.

If so, I have a few quality NOS 7 speed freehubs sitting around. Transplant the freehub, play with some spacers, cross fingers.

I know it's more trouble than it's worth for most people but I already own the frame, and just tossing it is like shooting an old horse.That's how I felt about the Moots.

stephenmarklay
11-28-2016, 02:24 PM
I did find some hubs on eBay but I don’t know anything about the brand.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Novatec-Cycle-Cross-Back-wheel-hub-D722SB-Disc-Dimension-130-mm-32-hole-/331951523431?hash=item4d49da4667:g:yNYAAOSwn8FXRxR 2

11-28-2016, 02:41 PM
Novatec has always been quick to offer oddball hubs -- price point, technology, whatever. They're ok, nothing great. But look at the flange spacing. Getting pretty scary.

stephenmarklay
11-28-2016, 04:58 PM
Novatec has always been quick to offer oddball hubs -- price point, technology, whatever. They're ok, nothing great. But look at the flange spacing. Getting pretty scary.

Those would not be ergot aproved :)

On the other hand that bike was speced with 130 discs and I never heard pop rad owners talk about problems.

ergott
11-28-2016, 05:11 PM
I would go with more spokes than usual. 32/32, nothing less. DT Competitions or Sapim Race and probably use a locking nipple or compound on the threads.

cachagua
11-28-2016, 08:33 PM
You need extra width to accommodate the rotor, so the only way to do this with 130 mm spacing is to narrow further the spacing of the flanges. They are already so close because of adding cogs on the right that wheel strength is compromised...

Just in theory, would this compromise wheel strength *more* than the spacing on the cassette side already compromises it?

In other words given that the drive side flange sits inboard as far as it does, you'd have to come inboard with the non-drive-side farther than that to compromise wheel strength any further, wouldn't you? Or hypothetically, if you put the non-drive flange three feet out from the hub's centerline, would you have any stronger a wheel than those we all ride today?

I figure one scary bracing angle is enough by itself, without regard for the other. But is there more to the question?

jtakeda
11-28-2016, 08:37 PM
Being the owner of a Lemond Poprad disc that's been respaced to 132.5 and added disc tabs by sycip I think I can say that it's possible.

I'd scoop the Poprad for cheap and build it.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=160635

HillDancer
11-29-2016, 12:54 AM
I have a Velocity 130 road disc hub, it was first on a 700c wheel (below), and now laced to a wide 650B. There is nothing scary about the strength of the wheel.

oldpotatoe
11-29-2016, 05:24 AM
I have a Velocity 130 road disc hub, it was first on a 700c wheel (below), and now laced to a wide 650B. There is nothing scary about the strength of the wheel.

yup, Hi lo helps as would 135mm but proper choice of rim and spokes and number coupled with a good build, proper tension, the wheel will work.

stephenmarklay
11-29-2016, 07:41 AM
Being the owner of a Lemond Poprad disc that's been respaced to 132.5 and added disc tabs by sycip I think I can say that it's possible.

I'd scoop the Poprad for cheap and build it.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=160635

Very cool. Is it a pain to get the rear wheel in fighting the spacing and aligning the disc?

Erik_A
11-29-2016, 07:42 AM
I had a Poprad disc that I bought as a framset. Not knowing any better, I just shoved standard 135mm disc hubs in there and it worked perfectly.

Great frame!

stephenmarklay
11-29-2016, 08:09 AM
I had a Poprad disc that I bought as a framset. Not knowing any better, I just shoved standard 135mm disc hubs in there and it worked perfectly.

Great frame!

Sometimes ignorant is bliss. I guess cold setting it to 135 is not out of the question then.

jtakeda
11-29-2016, 04:19 PM
Very cool. Is it a pain to get the rear wheel in fighting the spacing and aligning the disc?

Nope. No spreading necessary just slides right in

ergott
11-29-2016, 05:00 PM
I'm pretty sure at one point the Propad was made in 135mm.

icepick_trotsky
11-29-2016, 05:03 PM
What hubs did these come stock with?