PDA

View Full Version : OT: Mazda CX-5 Diesel Here Soon

ptourkin
11-27-2016, 09:03 AM
Something to throw a monkey wrench into my TDI replacement plans:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/mazda-finally-bringing-diesel-engine-to-the-u-s-in-2017-cx-5/

shovelhd
11-27-2016, 09:59 AM
Mazda has been notoriously late on delivery of new models. I'd set my expectations at late 2017.

ultraman6970
11-27-2016, 10:13 AM
Uffff... only if my minivan was diesel... darn...!

old fat man
11-27-2016, 07:35 PM
CX-5 is already on my short list. A diesel stick shift would make it the only car on my list.

Gsinill
11-27-2016, 07:45 PM
Interesting, especially considering that VW (go figure) and Mercedes are considering to discontinue Diesels in NA.

Ken Robb
11-27-2016, 07:56 PM
CX-5 is already on my short list. A diesel stick shift would make it the only car on my list.
I read that Mazda doesn't plan to offer diesel with stick. OTOH the 6 speed automatic in our 2014 Mazda3 w/2.5L engine is a dandy transmission. It's the only auto I have owned since 1985. My MINI Cooper S is a stick.

GregL
11-27-2016, 08:04 PM
I've had a CX-5 (Grand Touring AWD, 2.5L) for three years. One of the few complaints I have about the vehicle is the lack of a manual transmission option. It's a good vehicle, but it would be even more fun with a six-speed stick. Shod with four Blizzaks, it's the best on-road winter vehicle I've owned.

- Greg

572cv
11-27-2016, 08:09 PM
If Mazda puts this out with a stick, I'll be in line. If they just go with a diesel, I'll at least plan to test drive it. I like Mazda, and hope they step out with a bold move.

old fat man
11-27-2016, 09:13 PM
If Mazda puts this out with a stick, I'll be in line. If they just go with a diesel, I'll at least plan to test drive it. I like Mazda, and hope they step out with a bold move.

Ok, I'll give it a shot if it's automatic only. I think the manual diesel would gobble up all the old TDI owners and many of us longing for the days of a quality stick shift wagon that didn't cost $40k+

Ken Robb
11-27-2016, 09:35 PM
The "take rate" for all stick shift cars in North America is VERY low. Each drivetrain offered requires expensive emissions testing. I'm glad that Mazda offers a manual option on two gas engines. It is probably unrealistic to think it makes sense for them to go to the expense of certifying two drivetrains for diesel cars/utes.

saab2000
11-27-2016, 09:47 PM
The "take rate" for all stick shift cars in North America is VERY low. Each drivetrain offered requires expensive emissions testing. I'm glad that Mazda offers a manual option on two gas engines. It is probably unrealistic to think it makes sense for them to go to the expense of certifying two drivetrains for diesel cars/utes.

I've been driving manual vehicles since 1983 and while that may be modified one day, it's the way it has been and will be.

If this vehicle is offered with a manual transmission with a diesel engine I will keep it on my list. If not, it's probably off the list for something bigger or different.

Manuals are not a must for me by any means, but they are in my field of view, so to speak.

I'm ready for an automatic, but whenever I drive one I find myself sometimes moving my foot for the clutch. No joke. Muscle memory and all that after 33 years.