PDA

View Full Version : Floyd's Parents

goonster
07-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Floyd's parents did not watch Sunday's live coverage of their son crossing the finish line on the Champs-Elysees, or donning the yellow jersey on the podium.

Why?

They were riding their bikes (home from church).

Kind of cool, no?

(source: lancaster co. local paper)

fiamme red
07-25-2006, 12:04 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/cycling/story/9568210

Paul and Arlene Landis were so confident their son would win cycling's greatest race they didn't have to choose between going to church and watching it on TV at a neighbor's house.

"I'm glad we didn't have to make that choice. Church is very important to us," Arlene Landis said. "We felt in our hearts he was going to win. He is not one to take second place."

BumbleBeeDave
07-25-2006, 12:24 PM
. . . of what seem like some really nice people. :D

BBD

coylifut
07-25-2006, 12:35 PM
it appears Landis comes from a long history of cycling. I dig it.

Climb01742
07-25-2006, 12:48 PM
this may be a bit out of left field but...

one reason i suspect that floyd is a "clean" rider is his family, his parents, his upbringing. could you ever imagine trying to explain why you doped to them? from what i've read, mennonites believe in hard honest work. maybe i'm naive, but i think that's how floyd did what he did, hard honest work.

flydhest
07-25-2006, 12:51 PM
I think those pictures are a disgrace. They are not wearing helmets. Sandy (and countless others here) think they are foolish. Based on the helmet threads that have been posted here, a good chunk of the forum has no respect for Landis' parents.

I think they're nifty, personally.

Big Dan
I say they need to write a book pronto!!!!!!!

:bike:

SoCalSteve
this may be a bit out of left field but...

one reason i suspect that floyd is a "clean" rider is his family, his parents, his upbringing. could you ever imagine trying to explain why you doped to them? from what i've read, mennonites believe in hard honest work. maybe i'm naive, but i think that's how floyd did what he did, hard honest work.

Word!

Post of the day!!!

David Kirk
07-25-2006, 12:59 PM
This made my day.

Dave

Marcusaurelius
07-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Floyd's parents did not watch Sunday's live coverage of their son crossing the finish line on the Champs-Elysees, or donning the yellow jersey on the podium.

Why?

They were riding their bikes (home from church).

Kind of cool, no?

(source: lancaster co. local paper)

All the menonites I've ever met don't have a television or a radio. I also think they don't read newspapers. I suppose they could be different groups but all the ones I met avoid the three great evils: television, radio and newspapers. And they don't like to wear loud colours or follow modern fashion trends.

Fixed
07-25-2006, 01:29 PM
bro it's like breaking away only better it's real

and their bikes look like they fit I wonder who set them up?

William
07-25-2006, 01:50 PM
Cool. :cool:

William

PanTerra
07-25-2006, 01:52 PM

goonster
07-25-2006, 02:23 PM
All the menonites I've ever met don't have a television or a radio. I also think they don't read newspapers. I suppose they could be different groups but all the ones I met avoid the three great evils: television, radio and newspapers. And they don't like to wear loud colours or follow modern fashion trends.

Apparently Floyd's parents are pretty conservative, and they don't own a TV. They've been watching some of the coverage at a neighbor's house. People give them clippings of Floyd's results from the papers and magazines, so I doubt they subscribe to Velonews or such.

But their bikes look to have suspension forks, battery-powered lights and cartridge bearings, so I suppose they're going to H*ll for that. ;)

To anyone looking to experience this gorgeous part of the country on a bike, I recommend the Covered Bridge Metric (http://www.lancasterbikeclub.org/cbm.php) on Aug. 20. Bring fenders if wet roads are expected. Horse dung spray don't feel too good in the eyes.

catulle
07-25-2006, 02:31 PM
Wonderful. Thank you so much. For years I've been sending watches to be repaired by Roland Murphy (RGM Watches) in Lancaster and always wanted to visit that part of the country. IŽll make a point of dropping by Lancaster next year.

BTW, RGM sponsors the world famed Richard Sachs cyclo-cross team.

sg8357
07-25-2006, 02:43 PM
[QUOTE=goonster]But their bikes look to have suspension forks, battery-powered lights and cartridge bearings, so I suppose they're going to H*ll for that. ;)

=QUOTE]

Floyd is bringing back a couple Alex Singer Porteurs for the parents,
SON dynohub, Maxicar and none of that satanic index shifting.

Is Grant Peterson a Cyclo-Mennonite ?

Scott G.

PanTerra
07-25-2006, 02:49 PM
[QUOTE=goonster]But their bikes look to have suspension forks, battery-powered lights and cartridge bearings, so I suppose they're going to H*ll for that. ;)

=QUOTE]

Scott G.

I hope he also brings for his parents a couple pairs of good sturdy shoes for braking.

Samster
07-25-2006, 02:56 PM
me i like the hand-clapper (i think) in his mother's hand with him on the telly. cute is cool.

fiamme red
07-25-2006, 02:58 PM

Scott G.Mennonites are named after Menno Simons, a Dutch Anabaptist leader. And they believe in simplicty of life. So they should ride Dutch roadsters: http://www.workcycles.com/workbike/index.html.

Serpico
07-25-2006, 03:00 PM
I like the way her cake says "Le de Tour France"

Bartape1
07-25-2006, 03:13 PM
Someone needs to photochop a Phonak jersey on those two!

Cheers :D

Archibald
07-25-2006, 03:26 PM
I like the way her cake says "Le de Tour France"
It's the same way on the official Tour logo. Their website: http://www.letour.fr/

Ray
07-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Thanks for finding and posting those pictures Dave. They've all been in the Philly paper over the past couple of days, but I couldn't find them online. For those considering coming to Lancaster County to ride - DO IT! I live in the next county over and the riding in these areas is sublime (that's a GOOD thing). Mennonites are often found in cars, but the Amish aren't. In many parts of Lancaster County, you will ride up behind buggies on most any ride. If you stay around here long enough, you'll learn to slow down enough to enjoy drafting behind them! As for Floyd's little sister, she's the hippest Mennonite kid I've ever seen - the small head cover is the only give away that she's not just any other American teenager. Most seem to dress more conservatively.

-Ray

Serpico
07-25-2006, 04:23 PM
It's the same way on the official Tour logo. Their website: http://www.letour.fr/

:o

PanTerra
07-25-2006, 04:27 PM

It's the same way on my shirt. Someone here needs to contact them and set them straight. :bike: