PDA

View Full Version : Slipping Handlebar Tape

Peter P.
11-27-2016, 05:51 AM
They all seem the same; spongy stuff with a skimpy strip of temporary adhesive down the middle. Invariably, my tape jobs open up and leave a gap, just above the brake hoods. Consequently, my tape jobs don't last long.

I already bought new tape so I can't go out now and buy "the good stuff" but feel free to recommend a brand that doesn't slip. Otherwise, give me some tips to keep the tape in place. Tape ain't cheap!

oldpotatoe
11-27-2016, 05:54 AM
They all seem the same; spongy stuff with a skimpy strip of temporary adhesive down the middle. Invariably, my tape jobs open up and leave a gap, just above the brake hoods. Consequently, my tape jobs don't last long.

I already bought new tape so I can't go out now and buy "the good stuff" but feel free to recommend a brand that doesn't slip. Otherwise, give me some tips to keep the tape in place. Tape ain't cheap!

The 'secret' is to make it TIGHT. In the bike shop, does that mean sometimes it tears? Yup, but more on the wall. I had 2-3 1/2 bar tape under the bench. Another option is double sided tape under the tape or hockey tape but just make it tight. It stretches.

Cicli
11-27-2016, 06:00 AM
Experiment on how much it stretches with the old stuff. Then just as OP stated, wrap it tight.

OtayBW
11-27-2016, 06:29 AM
I run a thin strip of 'hockey tape' as a first course on the bar before taping (and I still like plain ole Cinelli cork the best). I've always done it just to add a tiny bit of extra cush, but I suppose it helps with the adhesion as well. I never change tape unless I want to. GL.

weisan
11-27-2016, 07:32 AM
Peter pal, I don't have to remind you to relax when you are riding, don't clench your fist... :D

I have not encountered this problem. I wrapped my tape pretty tight, not super tight, but pretty tight.

dave thompson
11-27-2016, 09:25 AM
As OtayBW posted, hockey tape is an excellent solution to slipping bartape. I've used it for years underneath leather HandleBra, no slippage at all.

Hank Scorpio
11-27-2016, 10:53 AM
When you say Hockey tape I am guessing you mean the friction tape for the blade? It has a light tack on the backside.

dave thompson
11-27-2016, 11:05 AM
When you say Hockey tape I am guessing you mean the friction tape for the blade? It has a light tack on the backside.

Yes. I call it hockey tape because I buy it at a place that sharpens ice hockey blades that's inside an LBS.

Chris
11-27-2016, 11:16 AM
You are wrapping from the bottom up correct? If that's the case, then the others are right, it's not wrapped tight enough.

fuzzalow
11-27-2016, 11:25 AM
The solution lies less with the tape and more with your hands which are connected to your arms which are connected to your shoulders which are connected to your torso which is connected to your pelvis which is perched atop your saddle.

Too much weight on the hands caused by all that is listed above and more.

Wrap the bar tape tighter which will fix the symptom of the tape. But that is really not the problem. HaHa but y'all knew I was gonna chime in with this and I won't say that what you are doin' is wrong but I know what I'm sayin' here is right. Fellas, I'd never DK (Dunning-Kruger) you.

AngryScientist
11-27-2016, 11:30 AM
are you making sure to wrap the tape so the finish is wrapped "away" from you? in other words, the action of your hands wrapped around the tops should tighten the tape, not loosen it. the direction of wrap matters.

m_sasso
11-27-2016, 11:36 AM
Give your bars a good coating of old fashion Hair Spray before you wrap and like most others have previously stated wrap it tight. You can also warm the tape up in the microwave before wrapping to get that little extra stretch.

lhuerta
11-27-2016, 11:47 AM
Here are two examples. Sample A is the wrong way (Mr. Lloyd) and sample B is the correct way (Mr Park Tool). You will notice that both wrap toward the inside but the one important difference is that My Lloyd appears to have weak wrists and is applying no tension on the tape (e.g. no tightness, no stretching) which is why his tape will slide after about two rides.

A. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8PqH7bltJQ

B. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MzIiv7pewE

DerekB
11-27-2016, 12:34 PM
Another trick I have always used is electrical tape wrapped sticky side out. It is a little tricky to start; put an inch or so on the end of the bar the "normal" way, then flip the tape over so it is sticky side up. As you wrap, overlap so it sticks to itself. Now you have a nice tacky base layer for the bar tape. I wrap mine only from the end of the bar up to the brake hood; this seems sufficient.

Hank Scorpio
11-27-2016, 02:24 PM
Yes. I call it hockey tape because I buy it at a place that sharpens ice hockey blades that's inside an LBS.

That is what I assumed. Hockey players sure love tape. I remember when I played I had four types of tape I used. Friction for the stick blade, cloth for the butt end, duct tape to close the upper portion of my skates and thin clear tape to wrap around my stockings.

ultraman6970
11-27-2016, 02:29 PM
Wonder if this guy is taping the thing backwards. If you do it backwards it will start slipping instead of getting tighter.

tuscanyswe
11-27-2016, 03:01 PM
Wonder if this guy is taping the thing backwards. If you do it backwards it will start slipping instead of getting tighter.

I was wondering that as well. Its very rare for tape to start to get gaps at the hoods in my experience.

rusty1200
11-27-2016, 03:32 PM
Give it a decent stretch so it's tighter

djdj
11-27-2016, 04:37 PM
Yeah. Wrap it tight. Problem solved.

ultraman6970
11-27-2016, 08:04 PM
I recycle tapes like nobody, if it finally rips on me on like the 5th reinstallation is put new tape, and honestly some stuff i put doesnt even have back sticky tape and holds just fine...

If the tape is turning the opposite direction and is not tight enough it will come appart big time.

OP do you have a picture of your handlebar that is having a problem??

I was wondering that as well. Its very rare for tape to start to get gaps at the hoods in my experience.