PDA

View Full Version : Canceling a PBK order

Veloo
11-26-2016, 09:14 AM
I see the item I ordered last night to get in on a Black Friday sale went down another $11 this morning.

Tried to cancel my order which has not dispatched yet but got a message: " Unable to cancel order, there are no cancellable products."

Sent an email to PBK request a cancellation. Wouldn't be surprised if it takes them a day or two to cancel then the price goes back up.

Anyone ever had issues with a PBK cancellation?

regularguy412
11-26-2016, 10:08 AM
Had similar situation but it was with a domestic vendor. Bought a POC bag on a Sunday nite and just happened to check the price next morning. Same vendor had it for an additional $25 off. I emailed them even before it shipped and they honored the price drop. Within a day or two I had a $25 credit back to my card.

So if you still want the piece, see if they'll just credit you back the difference. You may have to screenshot the 'new' price ad online and include it with your email. ;)

Mike in AR:beer:

Veloo
11-26-2016, 10:10 AM
I did ask for either a price adjustment or a cancellation so I could reorder. 6 hours ahead of my time so they are done for the day.

Good idea with the screen capture.

fignon's barber
11-26-2016, 12:32 PM
You can't cancel or change orders from PBk. They are inflexible. The way they operate is as a broker. When you place an order, they source it with various vendors( I ordered a pair of campag shamals and they came from Denmark). They can't change their orders once they are set in motion. Their sourcing also leads to the price fluctuation you saw as well. You basically sacrifice service aspects for better price. You can get some crazy low prices from them, but you can have issues.

FlashUNC
11-26-2016, 01:28 PM
All that effort really worth $11?

cadence90
11-26-2016, 01:28 PM
PBK = Worst Store Ever.

After my experience with them, even if they are selling something I really need, even at 50% or better off the next best price, I will never order again from PBK.

tbike4
11-26-2016, 01:33 PM
PBK = Worst Store Ever.

After my experience with them, even if they are selling something I really need, even at 50% or better off the next best price, I will never order again from PBK.

Could you elaborate please?

cadence90
11-26-2016, 01:43 PM
Could you elaborate please?

Certainly.
I already have, here on PL.... (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1935262&postcount=5)

Never, never, never again will PBK see even $0.01 of mine. They do not deserve even that. Complete jerks, even after numerous emails and an expensive (LA-UK) phone call. Screw them.

Tony T
11-26-2016, 01:54 PM
So, the items were poorly packed, but no damage?
I've never had a problem with PBK, but I have noticed that their prices have increased since they were sold (usually better prices now at Ribble or Wiggle)

AngryScientist
11-26-2016, 01:54 PM
i personally think it's a little sleazy to cancel an order just because an item went on sale after you purchased it. your order is a contract with the seller, that you agreed to buy X item @ Y price. you hit "place order" - the deal is done IMO.

Tony T
11-26-2016, 02:02 PM
I don't see a problem with that.
Some sellers have a price guarantee, for example Colorado Cyclist (https://www.coloradocyclist.com/pricing) will give a credit if they sell the item cheaper within 10 days (not sure if this is 'automatic', AFAIK you need to contact them if you see the lower price)

cadence90
11-26-2016, 02:05 PM
So, the items were poorly packed, but no damage?
I've never had a problem with PBK, but I have noticed that their prices have increased since they were sold (usually better prices now at Ribble or Wiggle)
"Poorly packaged" is an understatement!
No, the seatpost/stem were not damaged, fortunately. The seatpost was sticking out of the box though. :rolleyes:

The point is that this is how they ship, and wheels, for instance, would have been trashed, etc., etc.

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r654/traghetter/IMG_1325_zpsbckbm4c4.jpg

http://i1360.photobucket.com/albums/r654/traghetter/IMG_1329_zps1ayqnxh1.jpg

Plus, the communication was absolutely horrendous.

Buyer beware, but the faster people stop buying from PBK, so that they disappear faster, the better imo.

I have never had a similar problem re: packaging and communication with Rib/Wig. Ever, and I have bought from those shops much more than I have from PBK.

i personally think it's a little sleazy to cancel an order just because an item went on sale after you purchased it. your order is a contract with the seller, that you agreed to buy X item @ Y price. you hit "place order" - the deal is done IMO.
Agree. Not the coolest move in my book unless the vendor states that that is an option (such as those "30-day price match" offers, etc.).

Tony T
11-26-2016, 02:15 PM
That box could have left PBK in pristine condition and then damaged in transit. As far as using an oversized box, there shouldn't be a problem if proper packing material was used.

However, I agree that poor customer service (responding to your emails) is more than enough reason not to use them.

cadence90
11-26-2016, 02:45 PM
That box could have left PBK in pristine condition and then damaged in transit. As far as using an oversized box, there shouldn't be a problem if proper packing material was used.

However, I agree that poor customer service (responding to your emails) is more than enough reason not to use them.
The box was utter crap. A re-used (had some previous labels they had taped over), pre-beaten-to-hell, way-over-sized box, clearly. Nothing remotely pristine about it.

"Proper packing material" consisted of 2 under-sized pieces of hand-torn bubble-wrap. I am not making this up, trust me.

The email communication was horrendous.

The phone call was even worse.

PBK should be completely avoided, period, imo.

Hank Scorpio
11-26-2016, 03:22 PM
You know with that box I would suspect that the shipper damaged it along the way. The tape used to repair the box in USPS tape probably only available inside the USPS and not at PBK.

As a side note I have used Chainreaction and had great service. I ordered a cassette on a Sunday afternoon and had it at my house by 7pm Tuesday.

Llewellyn
11-26-2016, 03:23 PM

I agree. And I'm not sure I could be arsed with all the messing around for $11. But I agree that PBK are not the place they used to be and there's no need to use them when you have Ribble/CRC/Wiggle/Total Cycling etc.

cadence90
11-26-2016, 03:38 PM
You know with that box I would suspect that the shipper damaged it along the way. The tape used to repair the box in USPS tape probably only available inside the USPS and not at PBK.

As a side note I have used Chainreaction and had great service. I ordered a cassette on a Sunday afternoon and had it at my house by 7pm Tuesday.

All the people "defending" PBK...I don't get get it.

Obviously the red/white tape is USPS tape.
Why would a box containing products ordered from the UK and shipped from Spain have USPS tape around it?
Because the box that shipped from Spain was a complete crap box to begin with: re-used, with old labels taped over, and "sealed" with some crappy brown "sponge-wet" type tape, peeling away in spots. Absolute garbage, the whole thing.

An appropriately-sized, new box, with adequate packing materials inside, would never have needed the kind souls at USPS to perform any triage at all on it.

So, absolutely yes, definite thanks to USPS for at least protecting the box somewhat upon arrival in the US, and therefore saving my seatpost/stem from jettisoning out of their own accord somewhere over Nebraska....

Oh, and once again, screw PBK! ;)

unterhausen
11-26-2016, 04:06 PM
what did you want them to do? I would be annoyed, but if the stuff got there undamaged, there really isn't any reason to do anything other than shake your head and move on.

regularguy412
11-26-2016, 04:07 PM
I did ask for either a price adjustment or a cancellation so I could reorder. 6 hours ahead of my time so they are done for the day.

Good idea with the screen capture.

Addendum: I've ordered a few times from PBK, albeit it was around 2006-2008,,, so it was well before their acquisition by whomever the new company is that now owns them. I had zero problems, but I'm pretty well done with ordering from them as they apparently have more interest in short term gains over loyalty and customer service.

I would consider Ribble or Wiggle, Total or possibly others. I've ordered more recently from Ribble with no issues. My bank has made it a lot harder for me to order from an out of country vendor on short notice. They, by default, disallow international credit card charges without me first 'letting them know' that I'm going to make a purchase.

cadence90
11-26-2016, 04:15 PM
what did you want them to do? I would be annoyed, but if the stuff got there undamaged, there really isn't any reason to do anything other than shake your head and move on.

Sorry, but when PBK treated me like crap, I finally wrote them to say that since they would not respond to me I would then warn potential buyers against them, and I am following through on my promise.

I would want them to do what any reasonable person would/should expect any company shipping product anywhere to do;

1) Use a new, completely intact, appropriately-sized box.
2) Fill with enough packing material so that the contents do not shift around during transit.
3) Seal well and completely with high-adhesive, strong packing tape.

Or, in other words, do what I am certain that 99.99% of PL sellers, many of whom do not run a commercial operation, do...do it the right way.

Again: I have never had an issue of this sort with Ribble, Wiggle, Chain Reaction, Race View/Merlin, etc. Never.

fuzzalow
11-26-2016, 04:17 PM
11 bucks?! What is your time worth?

It is one thing to save $11 if you are able to do that as a consumer. That's fair and that is on you.

It is quite something else that in your view of consumer entitlement any vendor should give you the customer service you deserve to rejig a transaction you did to help you save that $11.

The shipping debacle is something else entirely.

unterhausen
11-26-2016, 04:21 PM
Sorry, but when PBK treated me like crap, I finally wrote them to say that since they would not respond to me I would then warn potential buyers against them, and I am following through on my promise.
I get that, I do the same thing whenever the subject of pumps comes up and everyone recommends the model that left me stranded. I'm getting my $45 worth of negative advertising :)

pdmtong
11-26-2016, 04:22 PM
I thought PBK had some domestic shipping depots?

I haven't bought anything from them since DA-7810 pedals were $120....

cv1966
11-26-2016, 04:25 PM
I tried to cancel an order because I forgot to enter a promo code. It wouldn't let me cancel so I ordered the same thing again with the promo code and plan to return the first order. Irritating yes, but I haven't had any issues with delivery other than it might take a week longer than domestic companies. FWIW, I haven't purchased anything other than tires and some other small stuff from PBK. Don't know if I'd trust them with expensive stuff

bigbill
11-26-2016, 04:26 PM
The only negative I've ever had with PBK is an order that took too long to arrive. And by too long I mean almost a month for a box of tires and tubes. I bought a set of Zonda's from them about 7-8 years ago and they arrived in a proper box with no damage. At the time I was living in Kitsap County, WA, just about as far as possible from the US port of entry where arrived. Other than that, I've found better prices at Ribble and Merlin. I've got a Chorus group on the way from Ribble now.

cadence90
11-26-2016, 04:34 PM
I get that, I do the same thing whenever the subject of pumps comes up and everyone recommends the model that left me stranded. I'm getting my $45 worth of negative advertising :)
Ha ha ha ha!!!

"Hell hath no fury like a PBK and/or bad pump customer scorned!" :beer:

I thought PBK had some domestic shipping depots?

I haven't bought anything from them since DA-7810 pedals were $120....
This box had "ESPANA" tags and return address all over it. This was April 2016, for the record.

Tony T
11-26-2016, 04:49 PM
All the people "defending" PBK...I don't get get it.

Like I said, I never had a problem with them.

I did have a problem with Amazon once, so, everyone, don't buy from Amazon :)

franswa
11-26-2016, 04:54 PM

At least you can reach an Amazon representative, and fairly easily. Amazon corrects issues immediately and are highly customer-focused. Apples to oranges.

cadence90
11-26-2016, 04:55 PM

Oh, man, did you ever get unlucky!

That must have been the very day I took my battered PBK box to the recycle bin, and by some odd coincidence a flock of Amazon drones were collecting boxes from the dumpsters right at that very moment! :D

Hey, I will admittedly take full opportunity to blame PBK in any way that I can.... ;)

eddief
11-26-2016, 04:56 PM
On the other hand, I no longer need any more tires. Now I want them to leave me the hell alone and have them quit sending emails a zillion times a week. I unsubscribed. A couple to times I did not receive the shipments I ordered and with no tracking I thought I was screwed, but I complied with their approach by filling out a form and sending it to them and they did resend the shipment. So I'm ok with that approach.

cadence90
11-26-2016, 04:58 PM
On the other hand, I no longer need any more tires. Now I want them to leave me the hell alone and have them quit sending emails a zillion times a week. I unsubscribed.

:beer:
No kidding. Sometimes 2x or 3x/day! I unsubscribed too. What a relief to no longer get those stupid things.

Tony T
11-26-2016, 04:59 PM
At least you can reach an Amazon representative, and fairly easily. Amazon corrects issues immediately and are highly customer-focused. Apples to oranges.

Not when they first started.

regularguy412
11-26-2016, 05:05 PM
:beer:
No kidding. Sometimes 2x or 3x/day! I unsubscribed too. What a relief to no longer get those stupid things.

Small drift: I've had the 'unsubscribe and still get' issue with some email senders -- particularly: politics-related ones. Luckily, all of my email hosting agents, local ISP, Yahoo, Livemail, etc., have custom filters that can be edited to prevent those mails from ever reaching my actual inbox.

I sometimes wonder if the unsubscribe links actually make it worse instead of better.

cadence90
11-26-2016, 05:10 PM
Small drift: I've had the 'unsubscribe and still get' issue with some email senders -- particularly: politics-related ones. Luckily, all of my email hosting agents, local ISP, Yahoo, Livemail, etc., have custom filters that can be edited to prevent those mails from ever reaching my actual inbox.

I sometimes wonder if the unsubscribe links actually make it worse instead of better.

Very true. It does seem that in certain certain cases unsubscribing or blocking spam simply generates even more spam....:crap:

Idris Icabod
11-26-2016, 05:47 PM

Damn right!!! I bought a toy for my kid for Christmas last Wednesday and they had it on the home page for Black Friday for $15 less than I paid for it. Barbie, her dancing sodding horse and Amazon are seriously on my sh1t list!:D:hello:

bobswire
11-26-2016, 11:27 PM
I was thinking of buying a saddle from Selle Anatomica and put it in a cart then changed my mind later and deleted it from my cart. The sale was for the X model,normally $159.99 on sale for $99.99. The next day I received an email offering the saddle with an added $10 off the sale price with free priority mail. I couldn't resist and purchased it. That is no fair, how in the world can I resist that? Pretty sneaky if you ask me. ;) BTW I think the sale is good until mid-night today.

cadence90
11-27-2016, 12:45 AM
I was thinking of buying a saddle from Selle Anatomica and put it in a cart then changed my mind later and deleted it from my cart. The sale was for the X model,normally $159.99 on sale for $99.99. The next day I received an email offering the saddle with an added $10 off the sale price with free priority mail. I couldn't resist and purchased it. That is no fair, how in the world can I resist that? Pretty sneaky if you ask me. ;) BTW I think the sale is good until mid-night today.

Ha, that reminds me of an Italian cousin of mine. This guy is really great but he is so incredibly "thrifty" that he hates spending money at all (not the best drinking buddy, unless you are paying :rolleyes:).

He also loves poking fun at impulse buying, etc. so whenever the Italian "saldi" (sales) are on twice a year, he'll be walking with you reading the shop windows (i.e. "SALDO!!! -60%!!!) and then gripe, "It's NOT 60% off! It's 40% ON!". :D