PDA

View Full Version : Carbon frames and work stands

Dead Man
11-25-2016, 12:16 PM
Anybody have a good workaround for carbon masted bikes and seatpost clamp style bike work stands? I've got a really nice, originally expensive Park stand and really don't want to buy a new one, but working on my seat-mast Ridley is a pain in the ass without a stand.

Thanks

-B

Jcgill
11-25-2016, 12:21 PM
If the jaws go wide enough to go around the seat mast, i would recommend just wrapping the mast in a soft cloth and snugging them down around them mast. Letting most of the weight bear on the saddle rails as the mast will slide down letting the saddle junction rest on the top of the clamp.
That should work for easy tuning, not ideal for torquing bbs and such.

R3awak3n
11-25-2016, 12:32 PM
You know you want that euro style stand :) it sucks that they both have their goods and bads, I had a clamp one and now on euro but will probably get another clamp and just have both

Exonerv
11-25-2016, 12:33 PM
I bought one of the 100-3D arms for my stand. Works great with much finer adjustment.

https://www.modernbike.com/product-2126178541?gclid=Cj0KEQiA39_BBRD0w-_rmOrc__8BEiQA-ETxXWGSf-KAki2y6V8O7r9i7uLu7-uNh5DTcbmUj6PrfngaAklq8P8HAQ

bicimechanic
11-25-2016, 12:44 PM
I've been using the first model of this at the shop for the past couple years and it has worked very well. Fits all the stands out there. Super stable and has fit all the weird size stuff that I work on. Plus they are US made of almost all US sourced parts, if you are into that.

https://www.hirobel.com/

R3awak3n
11-25-2016, 02:10 PM
/\ that is very cool but pricey, you might as well get an euro stand and a normal stand.

Gummee
11-25-2016, 02:13 PM
Anybody have a good workaround for carbon masted bikes and seatpost clamp style bike work stands? I've got a really nice, originally expensive Park stand and really don't want to buy a new one, but working on my seat-mast Ridley is a pain in the ass without a stand.

Thanks

-B

If you're running a Giant, they make a clamp adapter for their (and other) seatmasts. You can get em from your LBS

M

cmbicycles
11-25-2016, 02:52 PM
I have used a park stand 100-3c & 100-3d with carbon masts and deep aero posts and the 3d definitely is easier to use for them. I have a fork mount stand, but don't really like to use it as much. The adapter above is nice, but as much as buying a new stand. Park may make different clamps for your stand depending on the model. Feedback clamps grab from the side and may work for a seat mast as well, they are good, but not as secure as the Park stand for aero shape posts.