PDA

View Full Version : Ulrich to Disco?

Geoff
07-25-2006, 08:41 AM
And no not the kind you take X at.

http://www.eurosport.com/cycling/tour-de-france/2006/sport_sto931871.shtml

wasfast
07-25-2006, 09:09 AM
As someone else stated earlier, Discovery would be nuts to sign Ulrich until the OP issue is completely dismissed (assuming it will be). That said, I think Johan and company could do a better job for Ulrich than he's done with T-Mobile.

PanTerra
07-25-2006, 09:31 AM
And no not the kind you take X at.

http://www.eurosport.com/cycling/tour-de-france/2006/sport_sto931871.shtml

Basso is another rider recently tipped with a move to Discovery Channel, along with 2006 winner Floyd Landis and Gerolsteiner's Levi Leipheimer. Are they trying to stack the team, and flush out a leader among them (like that will happen), or is it the shotgun effect and hope to get at least one?

zank
07-25-2006, 09:46 AM
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2006/jul06/jul25news2

Grant McLean
07-25-2006, 09:47 AM
note to t-mobile:

Just how does Jan go about proving he hasn't doped?

There was criticism for outing/leaking Armstrong's old EPO tests,
how is this "operation" any different?

It

Russell
07-25-2006, 09:51 AM
T-Mobile must have had some hard evidence to dump Jan. If CSC does the same to Basso they must have hard evidence. Disco should take neither.

uuh huhhuuhhuhhuh, he said hard.

BumbleBeeDave
07-25-2006, 09:52 AM
. . . to sign ANY of the riders named in this scandal until things are sorted out.

but keep in mind there are also quite a few nicknames on the list that have not been linked with particular riders yet. This scandal is likely to color the rest of this whole season. Perhaps more revelations just before the Vuelta?

BBD

Big Dan
07-25-2006, 09:53 AM
Discover this..................

Actually I like the idea. Bring back Der Kaiser............. :)

Ullrich, who has always stressed his innocence, said: "Not once in my career have I cheated the other riders."

nice qoute from EuroSport............

Too Tall
07-25-2006, 10:29 AM
Are you kidding me? He is a dominant rider capable of winning...at fire sale prices no less.

I'm disgusted with kneejerk dismissal of professional athletes careers. This at least shows support if not acceptance of how viable his career AND others may well be DESPITE "allegations".

Bleh.

Waldo
07-25-2006, 11:42 AM
re: Ullrich said: "Not once in my career have I cheated the other riders."

Jan will take a brief hiatus to join OJ in search of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman's killer(s). Then he will return to racing and will win the Tour.

yeehawfactor
07-25-2006, 11:48 AM
i'm amazed that other teams are making offers. this seems too questionable for any teams to take a chance.....

goonster
07-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Setting aside for a minute the merits of the "case" against Jan (there isn't one, just an 'investigation'), I don't think for a minute that T-Mobile's dismissal is necessarily indication of the presence of "hard facts".

The OP investigation may just be an expedient excuse to terminate his contract. It is much harder for a team to stand by an accused rider (and defend that to the sponsors) than to simply sever the ties.

Other possible motivations for the firing

- advancing age
- inconsistent results, recently
- fat contract
- the ongoing "revolution" within the team, including change of ownership and management

swoop
07-25-2006, 12:17 PM
there was a point in between seasons/ear;y season that disco was talking about getting him. that's what i heard.. i think i made a lame post about it..

Grant McLean
07-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Ullrich, who has always stressed his innocence, said: "Not once in my career have I cheated the other riders."

It's an interesting choice of words. Very Bill Clinton.

Define "cheated" if they all do it?

g

flydhest
07-25-2006, 12:48 PM
I don't get BBDave and yeehawfactor's take on these things. Have you looked at the contracts they're offering? I can imagine it would be easy to write a contract that is contingent of OP not leading to indictment or suspension or conviction or whatever. In that case, the team gets a discount on a super-quality athlete and walks away if anything other than rumor is established. Indeed, I can't imagine why a team wouldn't. You get all upside risk. The riders are likely in desperate straights so a contract like that might be looked on favorably by the athlete. There's no downside risk. If the athlete is found "guilty" (whatever that means) then they terminate the contract and go public with the details of the contingency and say, "we wanted to believe the best, but were prepared to be realistic." They dump the doper and look like swell guys who would give a guy a chance, but virtuous enough not to keep a doper.

67-59
07-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Are they trying to stack the team, and flush out a leader among them (like that will happen), or is it the shotgun effect and hope to get at least one?

Probably figuring if they hire every Tour caliber rider on earth, the odds of winning increase substantially. Very Steinbrenner-esque....

swoop
07-25-2006, 01:35 PM
latest rant:
nice guys don't dope. but it's confusing because museeuw is a really nice guy, tyler is a nice guy, basso is a nice guy.

it's just a part of the sport that everyone in it has been around. the only dudes making a big deal of it are the fat guys that never raced and don't know and the folks that have to sell newpapers.

go ask clinger, or decanio.. don't be lame and ask them to out themselves or name names.. just ask if it's around and something all dudes have to deal with (they were there). fsrthnu spent some time in some hotels in europe and on some pretty rad buses that smell like embrocation and leather and were filled with skinny dudes and he certainly gets it. ask him if he's ever seen a blood spinner? why woulda kid racing his b8lls off ever have to see one of those? but respect him because he's living it and it's just not any of your business.

it's just not a big deal... or it shouldn't be to us. make it a big deal if you want to race d-1 or if your kid does. make it a big deal of you want to protect young riders (these guys deal with more sh*t than you or i can imagine).... but don't make it into some morality issue about your favorite rider. it isn't about that. and let's stop debating it here because there is nothing to debate. if you haven't figured it out yet, if having four of the top 5 tour contenders outed doesn't get you there... nothing will. oh but floyd has never seen the stuff ever. it's completely foreign to him. pfffffffft.

so just focus on the beauty of the sport.. channel your energy into helping some young riders out (they need the help). go support a little d-3 team with some money for a logo on their pocket. start your own team (i am not asking you to do anything i haven't done) support the womens racing.. some of those girls rock out and they make nothing.

stay and watch the pros race.. go to local events and bring a big cooler and a bbq and give a little. that's where you can do something.

atmo
07-25-2006, 01:53 PM
latest rant:
nice guys don't dope. but it's confusing because museeuw is a really nice guy, tyler is a nice guy, basso is a nice guy.

it's just a part of the sport that everyone in it has been around. the only dudes making a big deal of it are the fat guys that never raced and don't know and the folks that have to sell newpapers.

go ask clinger, or decanio.. don't be lame and ask them to out themselves or name names.. just ask if it's around and something all dudes have to deal with (they were there). fsrthnu spent some time in some hotels in europe and on some pretty rad buses that smell like embrocation and leather and were filled with skinny dudes and he certainly gets it. ask him if he's ever seen a blood spinner? why woulda kid racing his b8lls off ever have to see one of those? but respect him because he's living it's just not any of your business.

it's just not a big deal... or it shouldn't be to us. make it a big deal if you want to race d-1 or if your kid does. make it a big deal of you want to protect young riders (these guys deal with more sh*t than you or i can imagine).... but don't make it into some morality issue about your favorite rider. it isn't about that. and let's stop debating it here because there is nothing to debate. if you haven't figured it out yet, if having four of the top 5 tour contenders outed doesn't get you there... nothing will. oh but floyd has never seen the stuff ever. it's completely foreign to him. pfffffffft.

so just focus on the beauty of the sport.. channel your energy into helping some young riders out (they need the help). go support a little d-3 team with some money for a logo on their pocket. start your own team (i am not asking you to do anything i haven't done) support the womens racing.. some of those girls rock out and they make nothing.

stay and watch the pros race.. go to local event's and bring a big cooler and abbq and give a little. that's where you can do something.

i would kiss this guy if he wasn't a male of my own gender atmo.

Hysbrian
07-25-2006, 02:12 PM
latest rant:

go ask clinger, or decanio.. don't be lame and ask them to out themselves or name names.. just ask if it's around and something all dudes have to deal with (they were there). fsrthnu spent some time in some hotels in europe and on some pretty rad buses that smell like embrocation and leather and were filled with skinny dudes and he certainly gets it. ask him if he's ever seen a blood spinner? why woulda kid racing his b8lls off ever have to see one of those? but respect him because he's living it and it's just not any of your business.

stay and watch the pros race.. go to local events and bring a big cooler and a bbq and give a little. that's where you can do something.

post of the month...stick this at the top of the forum

yeehawfactor
07-25-2006, 03:34 PM
I don't get BBDave and yeehawfactor's take on these things. Have you looked at the contracts they're offering? I can imagine it would be easy to write a contract that is contingent of OP not leading to indictment or suspension or conviction or whatever. In that case, the team gets a discount on a super-quality athlete and walks away if anything other than rumor is established. Indeed, I can't imagine why a team wouldn't. You get all upside risk. The riders are likely in desperate straights so a contract like that might be looked on favorably by the athlete. There's no downside risk. If the athlete is found "guilty" (whatever that means) then they terminate the contract and go public with the details of the contingency and say, "we wanted to believe the best, but were prepared to be realistic." They dump the doper and look like swell guys who would give a guy a chance, but virtuous enough not to keep a doper.
point taken. it just seems weird. lance spends so much time and energy defending himself against doping allegations, and then(allegedly) disco makes an offer to an athlete whose alleged doping routine has been published. this has nothing to do with doping being right or wrong, but it does seem like it would be too much risk to take on.

William
07-25-2006, 03:51 PM

http://www.dolcesinfonia.com/Miracle%20Dolce%20Sinfonia%20having%20a%20BIG%20ki ss.jpg

William ;)

Ray
07-25-2006, 03:53 PM
latest rant:

As a couple others have noted, this about says it. If we can just put this post on auto-bounce or something so that it comes up in a new thread about once a month or so, I promise to never write another word about doping, something I know nothing about, but have somehow reached the same conclusion on.

-Ray

atmo
07-25-2006, 03:56 PM
point taken. it just seems weird. lance spends so much time and energy defending himself against doping allegations, and then(allegedly) disco makes an offer to an athlete whose alleged doping routine has been published. this has nothing to do with doping being right or wrong, but it does seem like it would be too much risk to take on.

i missed this.
which athlete atmo?

coylifut
07-25-2006, 04:04 PM
Swoop, you just laid it down. Good on ya.

Grant McLean
07-25-2006, 04:05 PM
i missed this.
which athlete atmo?

the title of the thread-issimo.

try to keep up :)

g

atmo
07-25-2006, 04:08 PM
the title of the thread-issimo.

try to keep up :)

g
artie fufkin kick this assk for a friend atmo.

Grant McLean
07-25-2006, 04:14 PM
artie fufkin kick this assk for a friend atmo.

you're still afraid i'm really Rupert Pupkin.

g

Avispa
07-25-2006, 04:14 PM

The French kiss on the cheeks, you can do that to swoop... I don't think he will mind! :p

Hey swoop, well said! But man, some people still need to believe, no matter what happens. What do you think keeps the American Dream alive? It's the believe, not the reality of things!!!

Fat Robert
07-25-2006, 04:17 PM
if they can't prove nothin, sign the guy

stock up on chocolate-flavored food products

get bontrager to make a saddle for his big january azz

its a business, and they all know the score

atmo
07-25-2006, 04:19 PM
But man, some people still need to believe, no matter what happens. What do you think keeps the American Dream alive? It's the believe, not the reality of things!!!

barry bonds atmo?

we get the heroes we deserve.

Big Dan
07-25-2006, 04:28 PM
All you guys are breaking my heart............. :help:
He said he never cheated any of the cyclist........whatever that means..
Archie?? Hello?? Mc Fly??

swoop
07-26-2006, 01:58 PM

we can go camping sometime.
*laughs*

someday i'll get a nice cross sachs frame and you can smooch the tubes before they go to paint!

atmo
07-26-2006, 02:02 PM
we can go camping sometime.
*laughs*
noms de plumes atmo?
we go as kevan and sandy.

catulle
07-26-2006, 02:06 PM
New technology for Jan, atmo?

GoJavs
07-26-2006, 08:57 PM
I expect Team Disco is going to go out and sign every superstar they can - disgraced or not. If Lance is going to be involved with the team in any fashion, I seriously doubt he'd want to be associated with a loser...

Team Disco could easily sign Ullrich and Basso and spend a couple of million 'proving' their innocence. Has anyone beat Lance's dozen lawyers yet? :argue:

Big Dan
07-26-2006, 09:08 PM
New technology for Jan, atmo?

Hey you mean new Doctors????............. :rolleyes:

GoJavs
07-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Big news on another site is that the Astana 5 were cleared from Operacion Puerto? And, one of them (Sergio Paulinho) is now clear to sign with....yep...you guessed it...DISCO.

I think Ullrich and Basso are cleared next. :confused:

toaster
07-26-2006, 10:18 PM
Team Discovery is corporate cycling. That means the only thing that matters is money.

Of course they'll defend Lance to the end in order to sell his image to the masses and then they proceed to hire the best riders all the while telling the public that only Discovery can redeem a disgraced rider and that the Discovery system works without cheating.

The hypocrisy is amazing.

e-RICHIE
07-26-2006, 10:21 PM
Team Discovery is corporate cycling. That means the only thing that matters is money.

Of course they'll defend Lance to the end in order to sell his image to the masses and then they proceed to hire the best riders all the while telling the public that only Discovery can redeem a disgraced rider and that the Discovery system works without cheating.

The hypocrisy is amazing.

agreed. awesome clarity.
don't mess with gecko atmo.

catulle
07-26-2006, 11:24 PM
I expect Team Disco is going to go out and sign every superstar they can - disgraced or not. :

If cycling were anything like soccer, Disco would have it up-hill. Remember Real Madrid?

catulle
07-26-2006, 11:25 PM
Hey you mean new Doctors????............. :rolleyes:

New blood for Disco?