PDA

View Full Version : OT: Thinking about a TV this year

stephenmarklay
11-24-2016, 06:05 PM
I don’t have a ton to spend but perhaps $750. I need about a 50”. I kind of like that Samsung has apple airplay but I am not sure if its a big deal.

I don’t pay attention to this kind of stuff so what do I need to know?

wc1934
11-24-2016, 06:40 PM
My daughter just purchased a 50 " vizio at BJ's for $300. She then added a sound bar and now has a pretty nice setup.

bikinchris
11-24-2016, 07:04 PM
If you are a Sam's or Costco member, you should be able to get a top quality TV for that price. I just saw where even Walmart can fit your budget. You might want to look at Sharp Aquos with their 4 color system.

rnhood
11-24-2016, 07:50 PM
$750 won't buy you any more TV than that $300 Vizio. Don't waste your money.

R3awak3n
11-24-2016, 08:48 PM
$750 won't buy you any more TV than that $300 Vizio. Don't waste your money.

lol, what are you talking about.

$750 will get you a better tv, will get you a bigger tv and will get you 4k among other things. Now if you don't care about that, get whatever the cheapest tv you want that is the size you want to have. Also most tvs now have smart tv features (neflix, hulu, ect... some have chromecast (lets you play whatever is on your android phone on the tv). There is no tv with apple play afaik).

Personally right now I would not buy anything under 60" that is 4k which is easily under your price range, there are some great deals out right now on TVs. TVs, even outside black friday are dirt cheap these days unless you want an AMOLED (which is amazing compared to just a LCD but you cant get anything like that in 4k for less than $1800).

I got a vizio and its a great tv but samsungs are great as well, pick a couple of tvs in your range and then read some reviews.

stephenmarklay
11-24-2016, 09:22 PM
Thanks you guys. 50” is about all I can fit where my TV goes. I do want it with smart features. I will likely go to Costco since they have such a great return policy. My current old TV has great sound so I guess I am in for a speaker too.

Ken Robb
11-24-2016, 10:07 PM
6 months ago we got a 49" LG Smart TV with 4000, etc. for $500. It is wonderful and I think they are now down to $400 or so at Costco.

parris
11-24-2016, 10:18 PM
There's a boatload of deals going on given the season. It really is shocking just how much tv can be purchased for not a lot of money. We're very happy with the picture of our 4k Vizio. Heck even our old Panasonic plasma still has a decent picture.

We bought the Vizio from Sams Club a couple of years ago and the people on the floor were more helpful by far than some of the specialty retailers in our area. They've got a very generous return policy if you choose something and it doesn't do what you want it to. Good luck.

dustyrider
11-24-2016, 10:26 PM
I've always been more than happy with Sony.

oldguy00
11-25-2016, 04:38 AM
.... Heck even our old Panasonic plasma still has a decent picture.

IMHO the old Panasonic plasmas are pretty much the benchmark of TV quality. We have a 42 inch that is now about 7 years old and still works like new. I have one of the 55" ST Plasma models as well, 4 years old, awesome picture.

tuscanyswe
11-25-2016, 04:46 AM
IMHO the old Panasonic plasmas are pretty much the benchmark of TV quality. We have a 42 inch that is now about 7 years old and still works like new. I have one of the 55" ST Plasma models as well, 4 years old, awesome picture.

This!

I have one and also had a samsung plasma, was great as well. im always (almost) disspointed with new tvs when i get a chance to c one at a friends house or wherever. My dad just bought a new exepensive tv and its got that soap opera effect.. Sure the image is clear but its not good in the sense that it shows as you want the images to show, just looks like all movies and shows are disney productions. It can be set to better settings that make it more in tune with what you are watching ofc but its not just plug n play.. lots of buttons and scales that needs adjusting before it looks anything as good as plasmas did in my humble opinon ofc.

There has to be great new tvs as well tho just seems silly hard to find unless you are in the "know" which im clearly not btw..

Ralph
11-25-2016, 06:38 AM
Is there any tech that reduces the amount of heat coming from TV into room? That's one of my issues with large TV's. Makes the AC run.

soulspinner
11-25-2016, 06:49 AM

Have a plasma. Love it. Are they still making them?

stephenmarklay
11-25-2016, 07:20 AM
Is there any tech that reduces the amount of heat coming from TV into room? That's one of my issues with large TV's. Makes the AC run.

Is yours a plasma? Plasma do generate a lot of heat. LCD not so much.

oldpotatoe
11-25-2016, 07:51 AM
I don’t have a ton to spend but perhaps $750. I need about a 50”. I kind of like that Samsung has apple airplay but I am not sure if its a big deal.

I don’t pay attention to this kind of stuff so what do I need to know?

I dread it when my 42 inch, that I've had for a LONG time(like 10 years, Sony, works great) needs replacing. Yeegads...there are a TON of 'features', and deciding what I 'need' is going to be painful.

Ralph
11-25-2016, 07:55 AM
Is yours a plasma? Plasma do generate a lot of heat. LCD not so much.

All our TV's are LCD. They add heat to room. Here in Florida have to watch that. One reason we tend to keep them as small as possible and still be able to enjoy.

shovelhd
11-25-2016, 07:55 AM
Have a plasma. Love it. Are they still making them?

No, not consumer tv's. LED panels are cheaper to make so the lines were converted. I own one of the rare 37" Panny plasmas that fits perfectly in the corner of my family room. A 40" is too big. They also have great audio so there's no need for a sound bar.

fuzzalow
11-25-2016, 08:06 AM
So AMOLED is the way to go, huh?

We need to buy a new TV and we might as well use the opportunity to catch up on whatever is the latest & greatest before we, as consumers, disappear as TV buyers for the next 20 years.

We are not into TV but it doesn't mean we don't use it. Gotta avoid having to require a multimedia receiver to use with a TV/Monitor, don't even want the clutter of external speakers if they can be avoided - just gimme a TV.

I'll pay attention to the expertise offered in this thread.

wc1934
11-25-2016, 08:10 AM
lol, what are you talking about.

$750 will get you a better tv, will get you a bigger tv and will get you 4k among other things. Now if you don't care about that, get whatever the cheapest tv you want that is the size you want to have. Also most tvs now have smart tv features (neflix, hulu, ect... some have chromecast (lets you play whatever is on your android phone on the tv). There is no tv with apple play afaik).

Personally right now I would not buy anything under 60" that is 4k which is easily under your price range, there are some great deals out right now on TVs. TVs, even outside black friday are dirt cheap these days unless you want an AMOLED (which is amazing compared to just a LCD but you cant get anything like that in 4k for less than $1800).

I got a vizio and its a great tv but samsungs are great as well, pick a couple of tvs in your range and then read some reviews.

Here in MA cable doesn't stream in 4k. The 1080 is pretty good for half the price. By the time cable streams in 4K they will come way down in price.

93legendti
11-25-2016, 08:27 AM
If you are a Sam's or Costco member, you should be able to get a top quality TV for that price. I just saw where even Walmart can fit your budget. You might want to look at Sharp Aquos with their 4 color system.

We paid $275 for a 40" Samsung at Costco 2 months ago.

deechee
11-25-2016, 09:41 AM
I'm pretty sure the Koreans are way ahead with lcd tv manufacturing compared to Sony. I'd take a Samsung over a Sony any day and I'm Japanese. Sharp Aquos used to be the only TVs still made in Japan, but I don't know anymore after they sold that division out. Check the box when you buy your tv.

I don't have cable tv; for me tvs are disposable and really not a priority. 1080p is more than enough for me. I don't even have a blu ray player. Where am I going to get a 4K source?

And I prefer not having a mini computer (the "smart" part of tvs) in the TV. I'd rather plug in a cheap 30$ chromecast and not worry about it if the software/hardware dies. I have plenty of laptops I can plug in worst case.

SoCalSteve
11-25-2016, 10:01 AM
So AMOLED is the way to go, huh?

We need to buy a new TV and we might as well use the opportunity to catch up on whatever is the latest & greatest before we, as consumers, disappear as TV buyers for the next 20 years.

We are not into TV but it doesn't mean we don't use it. Gotta avoid having to require a multimedia receiver to use with a TV/Monitor, don't even want the clutter of external speakers if they can be avoided - just gimme a TV.

I'll pay attention to the expertise offered in this thread.

If you want the very best, look no further than the LG OLED UHD line of TV's. The picture quality is beyond amazing. But they come with a pretty hefty price tag.

Enjoy!

jlwdm
11-25-2016, 10:17 AM
If you want the very best, look no further than the LG OLED UHD line of TV's. The picture quality is beyond amazing. But they come with a pretty hefty price tag.

Enjoy!

OLED is the best but need a little more time before the prices come down.

Personally I don't think there is a tv with adequate audio or a sound ad ad with adequate audio.

Watch out on some of the lowest priced models as they do not have all of the smart features. I think the Vizio M series uses an awkward keyboard with the tuner - not rated well

Costco is the best place to buy for a combination of price, service and return policy. I am heading there today to pick a 65" for someone else.

I still use a couple of Pansonic plasmas for my two smaller TVs - 50" and 60".

Jeff

11-25-2016, 10:50 AM
In terms of quality, OLEDs are best by a margin over high quality plasma, but OLED manufacturing has been a quagmire for fifteen years -- they were promised in the late 1990s and more companies have failed from promising them prematurely. LG tends to dominate the OLED market, but do be aware that LG has OLED models in at least three price ranges for each screen size. The quality in certain respects really picks up with the upper price ranges and is essential for gamers and people seeking high performance (more than just watching Netflix). OLEDs have already dropped by almost two thirds in price over the past couple years and will continue to drop fast. Remember three years ago when 4K 50" displays were $5000? And one cool thing about OLEDs is that you can get a 1/4" thick LG OLED display -- from the side it looks like there's nothing there.

Plasma screens are absolutely superb but you need to spend to get a good one. They offer superb saturation and avoid many of the shortcomings of LED (and of OLED) and have been in many ways the reference standard. I have a Pioneer Elite 50" plasma, which has been pretty much the best of the plasma screens. The screen itself weighs almost 110 lbs and it has a control box the size of an old VCR recorder that needs a home as well. But the picture is gorgeous. If you can shop for one used, you may get a superb display for not much money. They aren't Wifi and equipped with all the smart features now appearing on displays, but an Apple TV or something similar will provide all that. With plasma screens the only things to be wary of are (a) that they are fragile and have to be moved carefully, and (b) you want to check carefully for any wire images (lines) in the display image. Otherwise, they have great longevity and as mentioned, great image.

Don't knock LEDs, though. They've gotten to be superb, they are super-cheap, and they are loaded with features. For Netflix, frankly, they are all you need. There still aren't enough 4K films out there and 4K pushed itself into the market before the content was available. OLED offers some great benefits and you can definitely see it side by side, but an LED screen at home can look really good as well, and for a quarter or sixth of the price.

Don't forget that that display also needs decent sound. If you have a complete modern audio system, you can work through that, but for most people a sound bar and a separate bass speaker can give you really good sound which actually makes the picture more enjoyable. You shouldn't have to pay a lot and most of the sound bars mount to the wall or directly to the TV if it's a matching brand. But don't be bound to the same brand as your TV -- better quality often comes from different sound equipment manufacturers.

As for display manufacturers, Samsung holds some of the key LED patents and is pretty firmly in the lead. Vizio is a spinoff of Samsung engineers and managers and engineered itself around the Samsung patents and licensed a few, but their focus is on a lower-priced unit with punchy but not necessarily more accurate color. Vizios are great around kids or where you may not want to spend for longer than a 3-year life or so. Sony has very good displays but at a premium and there are a few software incompatibilities that favor Sony films and games but complicate other systems. If you are just watching Netflix, it doesn't matter, and you don't need to pay extra for Sony; Samsung's image is every bit as good if not better. Of course, with OLEDs, LG is in the lead but Samsung and LG both have key patents and will probably control the market in the end. They will get a lot better, too, as they work out the software and processing aspects of OLEDs (as pretty as OLEDs are, they are like using Windows 3.1 in a modern computer -- you don't get everything you'd like because of software limitations).

Prices are dropping fast on everything. If you don't see something you absolutely have to have on Black Friday, don't worry. It'll be cheaper in February anyway. And a lot of new products will be getting released.

fuzzalow
11-25-2016, 11:04 AM
@ the three gentlemen above, and then some for the other experts who chime in....

Thanks, TV technology is truly something I know nothing about.

Even if the prices are not viewed as inexpensive yet, OLED in the size TV that I need in the 55" range and not much larger is probably not outrageously expensive. Even a bells & whistles model should come in at less than $2K which although not cheap, is doable. And they're getting cheaper everyday.

I don't care if the cable companies don't source at a resolution that the TV can use. They will eventually catch up and I don't plan to buy another TV for a long time. I am a prisoner of Time-Warner cable/Spectrum and it is the only game to be had in the building I live in.

stephenmarklay
11-25-2016, 11:14 AM
Thanks everyone this has been a good education!

Bob Ross
11-25-2016, 04:30 PM
OLED is the best but need a little more time before the prices come down.

Down to what? The price of the LG 6P-series OLEDs have already come down seven separate times since they were introduced 13 months ago.

I mean, yeah, they're still $2000-3000...but if you're expecting an OLED to be in the Costco/Sam's Club price range it's going to take a lot longer than "a little more time"

shovelhd
11-25-2016, 05:59 PM

Enjoy!

I was in the mall today (yeah, I know. No milk) and saw these up close. They are the closest thing to plasma that I've seen so far. Excellent contrast and detail in a crappy store setting.

weisan
11-25-2016, 06:33 PM
If not for our friend's "charity" three years ago ("hey Wei San, someone just gave me an old plasma TV, it's more than 10 years old, do you want it?"), we would still be watching on our cathode ray tubes. We are late adopters when it comes to TV, cellphones, computers and other consumer gadgets, for no other reason than we don't see the real hurry or need to be in the forefront of technology. So I took up my friend's kind offer...and nearly broke my back trying to carry that heavy, heavy piece of ______ into the house. We are still using it, that's the only TV in the house, have no near-term plan to do any upgrades, and it looks like this thing may actually outlast me in longevity....:D

11-25-2016, 06:56 PM
OLEDs are basically inexpensive to make and yield can be very high, but the manufacturing processes are still being worked out and there simply isn't enough demand at current prices to scale up like everyone needs. But as soon as enough people ante up to a $2000 OLED TV, the price will drop under a thousand and OLEDs will take over from LEDs at the same LED price points. There are many reasons, including environmental and power consumption, that favor OLEDs. I'm figuring we'll see the G-model LG OLED breaking under $1000 for next year's black Friday, if not finding it closer to $800. As soon as they make that many screens at that price, it'll be hideously profitable, LEDs will be history or just a very low price point, and TV will be quite amazing. Having HDR OLEDs will drive 4K and also drive much better image quality generally. it's going to be a crazy year for the industry.

Ken Robb
11-25-2016, 07:18 PM
I don't think anyone has yet mentioned that many "TVs" now for sale are really just display units with no tuners. This matters if a user wants to receive televised signals from an antenna. All stations in the USA now broadcast in HD so cable/satellite subscriptions may not be necessary for quite a few customers. It seemed to me that there wasn't much discount for a set without a tuner vs. one with a tuner.

jlwdm
11-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Down to what? The price of the LG 6P-series OLEDs have already come down seven separate times since they were introduced 13 months ago.

I mean, yeah, they're still $2000-3000...but if you're expecting an OLED to be in the Costco/Sam's Club price range it's going to take a lot longer than "a little more time"

They will come down more and $2000 to $3000 is in Costco range. Don't get your point or lack there of.

Jeff

jlwdm
11-25-2016, 09:58 PM
I don't think anyone has yet mentioned that many "TVs" now for sale are really just display units with no tuners. This matters if a user wants to receive televised signals from an antenna. All stations in the USA now broadcast in HD so cable/satellite subscriptions may not be necessary for quite a few customers. It seemed to me that there wasn't much discount for a set without a tuner vs. one with a tuner.

And over the air has a better picture.

Jeff

reggiebaseball
11-25-2016, 10:11 PM
65" OLED for $1999 LG 6 series B

This TV is amazing. It was $6,000 just a few months ago (and worth it)

http://www.abesofmaine.com/LG_Signature_B6_Series_OLED65B6P_-_65_OLED_Smart_TV_1029964.html

pdmtong
11-26-2016, 05:11 PM
The most important "advice" is DO NOT chase electronics because it went on sale or there is a "deal".

This is one of the only consumer goods that gets better and cheaper or both with time. Doing nothing is actually to your advantage.

This is not the same as sitting on the sidelines forever. when you need to or want to make a change, that is the time to buy. And once your card is swiped, do not look back since you are already obsolete.

I can't quite suss out what the current characteristics are that are sticking.

Is 4k curved the thing? 3D sure wasn't....

jlwdm
11-26-2016, 05:56 PM

Curved is not it either.

Jeff

fuzzalow
11-26-2016, 06:24 PM
Yowza, some of this TV stuff is crazy. I am almost glad for the ignorance on TV technology just to not be exposed to the hype/BS of a TV that is marketed as a thing that'll change my life. A television change my life!?!? HaHa, no freaking way...I'm pretty sure the only things that have changed my life is first learning to read and second, marrying Mrs. fuzz.

Yes, I'm ridiculing TV. 3D? Curved screen? Yikes, I'm glad I missed those respective epiphanies.

FWIW, this new TV will likely be the one unless the experts here say otherwise: LG - 55" Class (54.6" Diag.) - OLED - 2160p - Smart - 3D - 4K Ultra HD TV - with High Dynamic Range - Black (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-54-6-diag--oled-2160p-smart-3d-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/5010100.p?skuId=5010100)

Many thanks for sparing me the task in research for a product I really don't want to learn about.

pdmtong
11-26-2016, 07:35 PM
Fuzz. My only suggestion would be to revisit the size - the new sets are so clear and sharp that even up close they won't hurt your eyes. In fact the bigger picture can draw you further into the picture content making the experience more immersive

You know how music that is clean at loud volumes doesn't hurt the ears - same idea here.

In addition the old sets had a big frame and the new ones less so. So the visual footprint of my current 50" diagonal with fat frame is likely same as frameless 65"

bikinchris
11-26-2016, 07:45 PM
And over the air has a better picture.

Jeff

Over the air signal will always be better. It's not compressed like satellite is and FAR better than cable TV over a co ax cable. Some satellite has $K signal for special events I doubt that your average cable TV has any 4K coverage.

reggiebaseball
11-26-2016, 08:19 PM
The most important "advice" is DO NOT chase electronics because it went on sale or there is a "deal".

This is one of the only consumer goods that gets better and cheaper or both with time. Doing nothing is actually to your advantage.

This is not the same as sitting on the sidelines forever. when you need to or want to make a change, that is the time to buy. And once your card is swiped, do not look back since you are already obsolete.

I can't quite suss out what the current characteristics are that are sticking.

I just gave you a link to the 65 inch version for $500 less than the 55, and you dont like?

I own the 65 B model, it is flat, and it is the best TV made.

BB $2800,
Abe's linked above $2000

A 65" has NO bezel and is a LOT like you "think" a 55" TV is like, if your old TV is 5- years old, they used to have a 3" frame around them, and now it is zero.

Buy what I linked to above from Abe's, or get BB To price match

fuzzalow
11-26-2016, 09:26 PM
My apologies to thread OP stephenmarklay, I kinda feel like I hijacked his thread topic which was not about the latest, and hence more expensive, whiz-bang TV but a more cost-conscious TV. I'm sure others benefited from this sidebar tangent.

Fuzz. My only suggestion would be to revisit the size - the new sets are so clear and sharp that even up close they won't hurt your eyes. In fact the bigger picture can draw you further into the picture content making the experience more immersive

OK will look at what you suggest. I'd admit I gotta be conscious of the scale of the screen size and how it will fit relative to the scale of the room. Meaning that the TV is in an apartment living room and not a family room in a house so, frankly the look of our living room is a higher priority than the viewing experience.

We have the nice condition of having a large apartment with decent sized rooms. Empty space is a luxury and I don't want to fill up too much space which takes away from the ambience of the space and its effect on the room. But no matter how you cut it, it is still a Manhattan apartment and it will never scale to the way most Americans might think of 2500 square feet as a "modest" sized house.

We plan to add only a little furniture at a time, to see how it progressively fills the room. Today there is still no sofa - Bloomingdales - 5 months - Jan 2017 arrival - Nicoletti Italia shuts down in August for summer break!

Buy what I linked to above from Abe's, or get BB To price match

Wow. Great prices. Why go local!? I'd have to have my head examined. Or as you said, get a price match. So I can either get 65" viewable area in what used to be 55" space or downsize with the smaller still 55" space to get a more elegant, minimalist use of room space.

Thanks gentlemen, invaluable advice, much appreciated.

pdmtong
11-26-2016, 09:54 PM
I just gave you a link to the 65 inch version for $500 less than the 55, and you dont like?
I like. I like. But I am not ready to buy.
OK will look at what you suggest. I'd admit I gotta be conscious of the scale of the screen size and how it will fit relative to the scale of the room. Meaning that the TV is in an apartment living room and not a family room in a house so, frankly the look of our living room is a higher priority than the viewing experience.

So I can either get 65" viewable area in what used to be 55" space or downsize with the smaller still 55" space to get a more elegant, minimalist use of room space.
I know the challenge you articulated and am hip to the potential aesthetic impacts...completely agree you dont want to over power the room since the max linear sight line is not the same as what might be found in a suburban house.

your last comment is exactly my point....65" viewable in what used to be the 55" space. I personally would not shrink to free up wall area...you are used to whats there now and smaller will start to look weird, like a painting that isnt big enough.

the new displays are so visually excellent, it just never gets tiring even looking at commercials on something so nice...sort of like gary wright singing "dreamweaver" out of a mcintosh amp. you don't really want to like it but in the end you'll begrudgingly admit it oes sound great.

cadence90
11-27-2016, 12:27 AM

We have the nice condition of having a large apartment with decent sized rooms. Empty space is a luxury and I don't want to fill up too much space which takes away from the ambience of the space and its effect on the room. But no matter how you cut it, it is still a Manhattan apartment and it will never scale to the way most Americans might think of 2500 square feet as a "modest" sized house.

I know the challenge you articulated and am hip to the potential aesthetic impacts...completely agree you dont want to over power the room since the max linear sight line is not the same as what might be found in a suburban house.

your last comment is exactly my point....65" viewable in what used to be the 55" space. I personally would not shrink to free up wall area...you are used to whats there now and smaller will start to look weird, like a painting that isnt big enough.

fuzzalow, I am not currently in the market for a tv, but the discussion interests me. The 65" LG that reggiebaseball linked seems like a great deal, compared to Best Buy.

What I was more curious about is the room scale discussion, so I made a quick drawing to see what a larger tv might look like on my living room wall.

That said: there is NOTHING like physically mocking up the real size in the real space...especially given that a tv is so simple to mock-up out of some cardboard....

But, the drawing might help you and others.

My lr room wall is 13' w x 8' h. I added a couple of room widths.
For consistency, I just placed all 3 tvs 12" above the floor.

The white tv outline (should be yellow, but the screen capture turned it white) is my puny Samsung 40" LED (http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/UN40EH5300FXZA). :)
The red tv outline is the LG 55" from the link you posted (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-55-class-54-6-diag--oled-2160p-smart-3d-4k-ultra-hd-tv-with-high-dynamic-range-black/5010100.p?skuId=5010100).
The green tv outline is the LG 65" from the link reggiebaseball posted (http://www.abesofmaine.com/LG_Signature_B6_Series_OLED65B6P_-_65_OLED_Smart_TV_1029964.html).

I don't know what actual size your current tv is, but you can interpolate from the specs of those 3 in the drawing.

What this quick exercise showed me is that:
1) the scale difference between the 65" and the 55" tvs linked above is quite minimal;
2) for me, in my lr, either larger tv would really start to overwhelm my books, furniture, windows on each side, etc. Huge compared to my 40", and I really don't like having a tv visually dominate a (my) living room.

HTH!

weisan
11-27-2016, 12:34 AM
Sony XBR-65X850D 65-Inch Class 4K HDR Ultra HD TV $1199
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-XBR-65X850D-65-Inch-Class-4K-HDR-Ultra-HD-TV-/322073884336?hash=item4afd1976b0:g:8iwAAOSwiYFXDsv l&rmvSB=true&afepn=5335869999&afepn=5335869999&rmvSB=true

dgauthier
11-27-2016, 01:49 AM
I work in the film and video post production industry in Hollywood. You may find it interesting to know that the professional side of the industry has not embraced flat panel displays for critical viewing over the past decade because the picture quality is so bad.

A typical setup in a Los Angeles color, finishing or compositing suite would have something like a Pioneer Elite Plasma display over by the client couch, and a broadcast quality 19" HD CRT monitor on the professional's console. (When a client asks "Which monitor should I look at?", the pro will stab their finger at the CRT and say "This is the only one you can trust.")

Only since broadcast quality OLED displays have become available in the past few years have flat panel displays been deemed acceptable for critical viewing, allowing facilities to finally let go of their tube displays.

The broadcast quality OLED's I've seen (priced around $24,000 for a 20" panel) have the best image quality I've seen on any device, ever. The only thing I can think of that compares to the image quality of an OLED panel is a large format positive film transparency on a light table.

If you're in the market for a new tv, skip all the flat panel tech from the last 10 years and jump right in with OLED.

sonicCows
11-27-2016, 01:57 AM
One thing to add: don't be tricked into "smart TV" features like streaming or apps. All they do is integrate an Android into the TV so you can run apps (that only they allow) and be forced to see ads. A Chromecast ($35), Roku, or anything third party can be much more preferable because these companies are more likely than a TV mfgr to update their software. Now I bet most appealing TV models will have smart features making it unavoidable, so just don't let that smart feature list become a deciding factor.

oldpotatoe
11-27-2016, 05:46 AM

So 'modern' TVs today still have the screw in the cable doohicky for an external antenna?

shovelhd
11-27-2016, 07:36 AM
So 'modern' TVs today still have the screw in the cable doohicky for an external antenna?

Most do, some do not. The cable doohickey (F connector) is used for RF input, either from an antenna and/or cable box RF output. Which inputs that connector takes depends on the types of tuners that are on board.

AngryScientist
11-27-2016, 08:53 AM
interesting topic.

i have an old LG lcd tv in the living room that has the oddest problem. it has the hardest time starting when it's been off and cold. i have to turn it off and on a few dozen times for the picture to actually pop on, otherwise just a black screen.

google tells me that it's likely a few leaking capacitors in the power supply that cause this. the thing is that once the tv actually fires up the picture is perfect and unaffected by the initial problem.

i have a real hard time getting rid of a television that still works, and it's not worth my time or effort to try and pull apart and locate the potentially leaking caps either, i dont think.

i'm half hoping it just refuses to start one of these days so i can justify getting a new one, but this has been going on for a few years, and no change.

odd.

i would never buy the newest tech these days, looks like i could effectively upgrade from what i have for 500 bucks or so, and that's probably what i'd do if i had to replace my tv today.

fuzzalow
11-27-2016, 09:26 AM
fuzzalow, I am not currently in the market for a tv, but the discussion interests me. The 65" LG that reggiebaseball linked seems like a great deal, compared to Best Buy.

What I was more curious about is the room scale discussion, so I made a quick drawing to see what a larger tv might look like on my living room wall.

That said: there is NOTHING like physically mocking up the real size in the real space...especially given that a tv is so simple to mock-up out of some cardboard....

But, the drawing might help you and others.

My lr room wall is 13' w x 8' h. I added a couple of room widths.
For consistency, I just placed all 3 tvs 12" above the floor.

What this quick exercise showed me is that:
1) the scale difference between the 65" and the 55" tvs linked above is quite minimal;
2) for me, in my lr, either larger tv would really start to overwhelm my books, furniture, windows on each side, etc. Huge compared to my 40", and I really don't like having a tv visually dominate a (my) living room.

I look at our space and it conjures up notions of bike frame nomenclature: There will be an effective room size and also an actual room size. This is because apartment space is not always broken out by hard walls into, in our example, a living room & a dining room - ours is one large room. The space is then subdivided by how furniture & floor rugs are placed to create the visual separation that supports the conceptual delineation of the rooms.

Therefore, as far as footage I have an effective living room wall of 14.25 feet wide within an actual wall space of 23.25 feet wide with this wall being the long-rectangle side of the room.

With the minimal difference in screen footprint between 55" and 65" I'd probably go with the 65"; there's not enough footprint difference to matter, much less scaled into a totality of a 23' wall. And the cost of buying or price matching from the right vendors, it is not too painful. We dislike the aesthetics of wall mounting a TV so it will be used on a stand.

A fun & helpful discussion this is for me, that's for sure.

cadence90
11-27-2016, 02:19 PM
Mine sure does, and it is ~16 months old.

I look at our space and it conjures up notions of bike frame nomenclature: There will be an effective room size and also an actual room size. This is because apartment space is not always broken out by hard walls into, in our example, a living room & a dining room - ours is one large room. The space is then subdivided by how furniture & floor rugs are placed to create the visual separation that supports the conceptual delineation of the rooms.

Therefore, as far as footage I have an effective living room wall of 14.25 feet wide within an actual wall space of 23.25 feet wide with this wall being the long-rectangle side of the room.

With the minimal difference in screen footprint between 55" and 65" I'd probably go with the 65"; there's not enough footprint difference to matter, much less scaled into a totality of a 23' wall. And the cost of buying or price matching from the right vendors, it is not too painful. We dislike the aesthetics of wall mounting a TV so it will be used on a stand.

A fun & helpful discussion this is for me, that's for sure.
Definitely on a 23'/14' wall the 65"/55" scale should not be an issue.

And yes, on a stand or bench.

rusty1200
11-27-2016, 04:06 PM
Run to Costco now. No problem filling your needs

rwsaunders
11-27-2016, 05:52 PM
I just picked up a 55" Samsung 4K Smart UHD TV and it was around $550 before the 10% sale and another 5% off for using a Red card (not the one issued by Fidel). The picture is unreal compared to the five year old unit that it replaced and it took all of 5 minutes to set up. All that it needed to know was my cable provider, zip code and wireless password. I guess that's why they call it smart.

stephenmarklay
11-27-2016, 07:31 PM
I just picked up a 55" Samsung 4K Smart UHD TV and it was around $550 before the 10% sale and another 5% off for using a Red card (not the one issued by Fidel). The picture is unreal compared to the five year old unit that it replaced and it took all of 5 minutes to set up. All that it needed to know was my cable provider, zip code and wireless password. I guess that's why they call it smart.

Where did you get it?

htwoopup
11-27-2016, 07:38 PM
I just got that same one. I haven't used it yet as it has to be delivered. I first bought it at Best Buy because they were far cheaper than I could find elsewhere. 10 minutes after placing the order I got an email from Costco saying they had it for 12% less than I just agreed to pay (this is the third time this has happened to me with Best Buy). I called them and they refused to price match so I cancelled the order and placed one with Costco. But when I just looked they both said they are sold out. All of this is to say one of the earliest comments about it being crazy confusing and a PITA may have been an understatement.

shovelhd
11-27-2016, 09:58 PM
Where did you get it?

Red Card = Target

rwsaunders
11-28-2016, 04:22 AM
Where did you get it?

The Shovel Man is correct...Target. Model UN55KU6290FXZA.