PDA

View Full Version : carbon fork differences

AngryScientist
11-24-2016, 09:39 AM
Hi pals,

My aluminum Pego came with a Reynolds branded Alpha Q fork. I'm pretty sure this is the way the frameset was sold at the time, before the pagoretti/falz relationship.

aesthetics aside - would there be anything to gain swapping to a falz or maybe enve fork?

i doubt i would actually do it, as this frameset came to me in pristine condition, and looks to have been hardly ridden at all, so the fork is in very perfect shape, but i'm just curious what people think?

:beer:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-q9iIMbXDFFM/WDDRFJkL18I/AAAAAAAACqI/rsxcsHbgPoswqvx7LyPSJVR1FAILJWj1wCLcB/s1040/IMG_1926.JPG

OtayBW
11-24-2016, 09:43 AM
I have a black Falz v2. cut down a bit that might fit that bike. PM me if you're interested.

R3awak3n
11-24-2016, 09:45 AM
I don't think there would be much difference if the rake/trail stays the same. I am sure some carbon forks are stiffer than others but not sure you would actually notice.

There are a few forks that I find unattractive though but the one you have looks good on the bike imo.

tuscanyswe
11-24-2016, 09:55 AM
I think the ouzo on there looks good and i dont think you would perceive any real benefits from a more "modern" fork.

OtayBW
11-24-2016, 10:07 AM
Assuming the Alpha Q has a rake of 47 mm and the Peg a 72° HTA, you'd increase the trail slightly from 61 to 63 in going to the Falz. May be hard to tell the difference, but might not be bad for a go-fast bike.

reggiebaseball
11-24-2016, 10:11 AM
Zero benefit
stick with what you got, Reynolds forks are superb.

the others you mention would bring no performance increase, and would be aesthetically inferior.

Mike Lopez
11-24-2016, 10:41 AM
....because I'm pretty sure there's no such thing as a Reynolds Alpha Q. ;)

2 completely different companies who were competitors in that market.

Just trying to help keep things straight....

That is in fact an early Reynolds Ouzo Pro. And does look good on that rig!

( could also be the Comp version if it has an alloy steerer. Still no Alpha Q)

berserk87
11-24-2016, 10:54 AM
I say, if you don't know what you would gain, why would consider a change?

That Reynolds fork is a good one. The only thing you might gain would be some weight savings. That fork tracks well, and is stiff enough to be solid.

cadence90
11-24-2016, 12:05 PM
In short: definitely not. Your frame was designed with that Reynolds in mind, and Dario loved those forks.
One surely would never replace a Luigino fork with a NOS Precisa....

Longer:
As Mike Lopez already pointed out, Reynolds ≠ Alpha-Q (True Temper).

I think that the Pegoretti carbon fork specs were/are like this:
Mizuno for awhile.
Reynolds (mainly Ouzo Pro, I think) for a long time. Great fork.
Trigon for a short time.
Maybe Enve and possibly some Columbus (but not sure, either way definitely only for a short time).
Pegoretti Falz v.1.
Current: Pegoretti Falz v.2 (now fits 28mm).

The Reynolds is a stellar and elegant fork, and looks perfect especially on older Pegorettis, etc. I would not switch it out for a Falz for the +/- $300 it would cost to do so. In fact, I would rather save some money and just buy a match-spec NOS Ouzo Pro (there are a couple on eBay right now) as a back-up. Much less expensive option.

More important, it would be necessary to know that the current Reynolds and the imagined Falz (or any other substitute) both have (preferably) the same rake and (certainly) the same axle-crown. I am not sure that they do.

The Falz, especially the v.2, can be pretty "chunky" looking on a lot of frame/wheel combos. I would just stick with your Reynolds as long as it works.

ThasFACE
11-24-2016, 12:29 PM
Only real differences I've noticed between forks with comparable measurements have been in swaps of cf for steel (e.g., had DK make a steel fork for my JKS to replace the stock cf and the difference was tremendous)... excluding the time I switched out an easton ec90 sl for a reynolds ouzo pro. That easton was trash, according to me...

OtayBW
11-24-2016, 12:33 PM
Assuming the Alpha Q has a rake of 47 mm and the Peg a 72° HTA, you'd increase the trail slightly from 61 to 63 in going to the Falz. May be hard to tell the difference, but might not be bad for a go-fast bike.
I had this wrong: assuming Reynolds Q Alpha rake of 43.5 mm, Peg HTA of 72°, and 700x25 tires, trail would actually go from 65 mm to 63 mm with the Falz v2 fork. I, too, think it looks pretty good with the Reynolds - as is.

Tickdoc
11-24-2016, 01:00 PM
I can't answer your question, but I love hat bike!

pdmtong
11-24-2016, 02:08 PM
Cadence has the history correct. Dario loves the ouzo pro and would still be using it had Reynolds not ceased mfg. the ouzo was the gold standard for a long time along with the Serotta F3. the enve followed by trigon were place holders until he could get Falz sourced and produced. Dario does not like enve because of aesthetic. He likes a slight curve.

Fwiw your year ouzo has the best and most neutral decals. Earlier were green decals. Later had something more busy.

There is zero reason to consider a falz. Zero. As mentioned your frame was designed around that fork

I have a trigon on my 2010 respo that i was tempted to change for a falz when v1 were being blown out But mine is a rare fork that Dario painted to match the ciavete of the frame so I decided I better just leave well enough alone

It's noon here and already I am a glass of wine in. In two hours 25 relatives are appearing.

We brined the turkey for 24 hours in an ice bath then 24 hours cold air chill now in the Weber indirect bbq.

Eat drink and be merry!

Happy thanksgiving all!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161124/a6bba575f1e72cc9da864e29dbc78b0e.jpg

Peter P.
11-24-2016, 02:53 PM
Specs be damned! I always loved the shape and curve of the Ouzo Pro forks. If it could be slimmed down for a steel version, I'd be in forkin' heaven.

Bonus points if the fork is painted.

cadence90
11-25-2016, 01:21 AM
Cadence has the history correct. Dario loves the ouzo pro and would still be using it had Reynolds not ceased mfg. the ouzo was the gold standard for a long time along with the Serotta F3. the enve followed by trigon were place holders until he could get Falz sourced and produced. Dario does not like enve because of aesthetic. He likes a slight curve.

Fwiw your year ouzo has the best and most neutral decals. Earlier were green decals. Later had something more busy.

There is zero reason to consider a falz. Zero. As mentioned your frame was designed around that fork

I have a trigon on my 2010 respo that i was tempted to change for a falz when v1 were being blown out But mine is a rare fork that Dario painted to match the ciavete of the frame so I decided I better just leave well enough alone

Thanks for the lineage confirmation, pdmtong. Nice bird, too!

Exactly: the Ouzo Pro had three versions, essentially.
Version 1: White/Yellow/Green logos; axle-crown: 370mm.
Version 2: White logos; axle-crown: revised to 372mm.
Version 3: Blue/White logos (sometimes with silver bands below; axle-crown: also 372mm.

I believe that all three versions were offered in rakes of 40mm, 43mm, and 45mm.

Mike Lopez
11-25-2016, 01:39 AM
V1 was the original based on the UK graphics.

V2 was the neutral version.

V3 was the contribution of the folks that bought the co from Jim & I and then killed the line. :(

The original band is still together. Perhaps we should schedule a comeback tour next year!

cadence90
11-25-2016, 01:57 AM

V3 was the contribution of the folks that bought the co from Jim & I and then killed the line. :(

The original band is still together. Perhaps we should schedule a comeback tour next year!
Hi Mike,
Of course I defer to your expertise.
Are the graphics versions I posted correct?
If not, I will revise the images based on your direction.

A Comeback Tour would be fantastic! Please do it!

I've never ridden a Falz, so I can't compare, but of all the full-carbon 1 1/8" forks I have ridden Reynolds Ouzo Pro are hands-down the best:
Way more reassuring than Eastons (no, thank you); slightly less stiff and so a bit more comfortable than Wound-Ups (great forks, but very stiff, and I'm a clyde); comparable ride to but nicer look than Alpha-Q Sub3.
The white logo (v2) Reynolds O P is really a winner all around, imo.

(Bonus "Comeback Tour Points" for offering a 1 1/8" "Straight No Chaser", oops, sorry...I meant to say, "Straight No Taper", version. ;) )

Thelonious Monk - Straight No Chaser (Monk In Tokyo) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxdnQOs0BNo)

lookout2015
11-25-2016, 05:14 AM

A reunion would be awesome. Have one on my Merlin and it's a great fork

soulspinner
11-25-2016, 06:53 AM
A reunion would be awesome. Have one on my Merlin and it's a great fork

Have one on my Strong. Keep checking it as time goes on. Rides great, looks great 20000 miles later.

Mike Lopez
11-25-2016, 11:32 AM
Hi Cadence90,

You got the sequence in proper order. I believe we may have slipped in some red ones somewhere along the way but in very limited quantities.

It does my heart well to hear that folks still like that fork so much. It really validates the teams effort, which was substantial, in bringing that project to fruition. I can't believe it's been nearly 20 years! (1998)

I'll be sure to let the they boys know you're still enjoying your Ouzo Pros !

Mike

jds108
11-25-2016, 11:49 AM
Hi Cadence90,

You got the sequence in proper order. I believe we may have slipped in some red ones somewhere along the way but in very limited quantities.

It does my heart well to hear that folks still like that fork so much. It really validates the teams effort, which was substantial, in bringing that project to fruition. I can't believe it's been nearly 20 years! (1998)

I'll be sure to let the they boys know you're still enjoying your Ouzo Pros !

Mike

And I'd add that there isn't a fork on the market right now that is as visually appealing as the Ouzo Pro IMO of course! I particularly like the "pro peloton" model but made the mistake of not buying one when they were available. Mike, if you find one in the corner of your shop you've got a buyer!

pdmtong
11-25-2016, 02:55 PM
I'll be sure to let the they boys know you're still enjoying your Ouzo Pros ! Mike

Mike, I appreciate the times you've weighted in on carbon conversations here. Nothing like getting information from the source.

I had a Parlee Z3c with an OP same genre as Angry's. Loved it.
I had a Kodak Gallery Sierra Nevada Ottrott with a 8.5 F3. Loved it.
One of my metal bikes (below) has an OP painted to match. Love it.

Sure, Enve is nice. But, I dare say a lot of people like it since that is really the only choice now. But those of us who have ridden OP's, that fork was and is still the gold standard for ride and aesthetics.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160916/e55891b42ac63d942f6f5bfe2b624372.jpg

zzy
11-25-2016, 03:13 PM
I agree with the above - ride quality has really been lost now the the industry has settled on straight large bladed ~350g full carbon forks as the standard (like most OEMs and Enve). The fork has a pretty large effect on ride quality and I can even notice the difference between my various Alpha Q forks, and between various steel forks. I just stuck a new AQ GS-40 inspired Moots fork (I suspect made by Enve) on my IF CJ and it was like a whole new bike. Older Ouzos really had the right mix of flex and stiffness. Modern OEMs say that the curve isn't needed as they don't flex along that axis but I'm not so sure..