PDA

View Full Version : i'm going through tour withdrawal

Climb01742
07-25-2006, 04:59 AM
the monday after the tour always feels a bit empty and sad to me. sportswise, the 3 weeks in july are my favorite time of the year. it really is a fix for my cycling jonz. part of the beauty of tivo is i could stretch a stage out almost all day on the weekends, so i could ride, be a dad, be a errand-doer, but still see every moment of a stage, like a slow sweet long lasting fix. the one stage i haven't erased is the one where floyd came back. that stage is gonna get me through quite a few basement trainer rides this winter. question is, though, how do i return to normal life without my daily fix? :beer: anyone else going through withdrawal?

Fat Robert
07-25-2006, 05:52 AM
climb

get rid of your tv

ride your bike more

i don't have a tv and i ride a lot

ergo

no tour "fix" needed now

really, its more the tv

tv is evil

bro

Too Tall
07-25-2006, 06:17 AM
Start planning our trip to the Dolomites that includes renting Harley's for a few days :)

dbrk
07-25-2006, 06:25 AM
I took Ligget's advice. For the past three weeks he has been telling us to tune into the PBR, yup, Professional Bull Riding. So last night while I was making dinner after a not so epic but perfectly excellent ride, I tuned in. I learned a few important things. First, this "sport" is as much about the bulls as it is the boys in the big hats who ride them. The bulls look bred to their purpose, mean, and indifferent to their fate---their own and the riders. The riders look skinny, strangely unaware of the danger facing them, and wear funny costumes. Sometimes they get really hurt or worse. The spectators are being sold all sorts of demographcally appropriate stuff while drinking heavily, camping out in their RVs, and otherwise really caring about what looks to an outsider to be of little interest.

Hey, wait a minute...doesn't this sound like...nahhh...we're nuthin' like them...

dbrk

rbtmcardle
07-25-2006, 08:08 PM
I took Ligget's advice. For the past three weeks he has been telling us to tune into the PBR, yup, Professional Bull Riding. So last night while I was making dinner after a not so epic but perfectly excellent ride, I tuned in. I learned a few important things. First, this "sport" is as much about the bulls as it is the boys in the big hats who ride them. The bulls look bred to their purpose, mean, and indifferent to their fate---their own and the riders. The riders look skinny, strangely unaware of the danger facing them, and wear funny costumes. Sometimes they get really hurt or worse. The spectators are being sold all sorts of demographcally appropriate stuff while drinking heavily, camping out in their RVs, and otherwise really caring about what looks to an outsider to be of little interest.

Hey, wait a minute...doesn't this sound like...nahhh...we're nuthin' like them...

dbrk

too funny!!!!

Grant McLean
07-25-2006, 08:24 PM
the monday after the tour always feels a bit empty and sad to me. sportswise, the 3 weeks in july are my favorite time of the year. it really is a fix for my cycling jonz. part of the beauty of tivo is i could stretch a stage out almost all day on the weekends, so i could ride, be a dad, be a errand-doer, but still see every moment of a stage, like a slow sweet long lasting fix. the one stage i haven't erased is the one where floyd came back. that stage is gonna get me through quite a few basement trainer rides this winter. question is, though, how do i return to normal life without my daily fix? :beer: anyone else going through withdrawal?

I'll send you my VHS tapes... all 10 of them. 60 hours!

g

Serpico
07-25-2006, 09:09 PM

tv is evil

correct!

Fixed
07-25-2006, 09:14 PM
I don't own one .i watched my mom's t.v. when she wasn't watching law and order.
cheers

amg
07-25-2006, 09:16 PM
climb,

great, now's a good time to post those Pegoretti shop pics! That'll pick you (and a lot of us) right up! :)

Antonio

Kevan
07-25-2006, 09:18 PM
I'm happy it's over. Thank God!

Look, don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the racing as much as the other guy. Everyday I would stick my nose into my work, ignore you guys and your "SPOILERS". I would let the world slip past me unnoticed and either ride my bike home or drive and manage to flop on the floor in front of the boob-tube just in time for the 3 hour OLN recap. I loved it! The family retreated to their corners. Peace at last.

Course, there was the little problem of always falling asleep during most of the stage, seeming to awake startled just as Bob was about to drop his shorts in the Trek commercial. Then if I managed to stay alert enough, I'd postpone the dog's walk time until the end of the stage and then walk out into the wilds at 11-11:30. Often I wouldn't get myself into bed until near midnight. By the 3rd week I was Floyd-exhausted.

Love this sport so much, I'd lay my head on the pillow with a big grin only to left it 15 minutes later for my 5am wake up and ride to work.

Sorry guys, but this bloke needs the rest of the year to regain his bone mass and put on more weight.

Serpico
07-25-2006, 09:41 PM
I don't own one .i watched my mom's t.v. when she wasn't watching law and order.
cheers

I was wondering where you were watching tdf, I remember awhile back you mentioned not owning/wanting a tv set

I have a tv for dvds, I ordered cable for this month to watch tdf--50 channels of CRAP! wow, I can't believe how much idiotic stuff is out there

Kevan
07-25-2006, 09:49 PM
I was wondering where you were watching tdf, I remember awhile back you mentioned not owning/wanting a tv set

I have a tv for dvds, I ordered cable for this month to watch tdf--50 channels of CRAP! wow, I can't believe how much idiotic stuff is out there

isn't crap. Idiotic maybe, but not crap.

SoCalSteve
07-25-2006, 10:25 PM
I don't own one .i watched my mom's t.v. when she wasn't watching law and order.cheers

Your mom has great taste!

My favorite show!!!

Steve

Saxon
07-25-2006, 11:18 PM
The daily Tour fix really becomes a part of my routine and I miss it when it's gone. Have a few friends I see in passing on the weekends and we always exchange impressions of the race and have a good time talking about the stages. The Tour of California is coming to Sac town this year, so I can hold my breath and watch my old TDF DVD’s till February :)

Sandy
07-25-2006, 11:57 PM
isn't crap. Idiotic maybe, but not crap.

I must know this- Would you rather be with Paris Hilton, or with me at a Hilton in Paris???? :rolleyes:

Sandman

Kevan
07-26-2006, 05:59 AM
Does she have to talk?

If she does...I'm yours.

slowgoing
07-26-2006, 06:20 AM
doesn't the bun-tanning Survivor show start tonight?

Sandy, I think the joke starts, "would you rather be IN paris hilton...." Of course, you probably diluted it's vulgarity on purpose.

davids
07-26-2006, 07:10 AM
I went riding this morning with a buddy I hadn't talked to since last Wednesday am. We got to discuss, analyze, and pretty much re-live stages 16 and 17 as we rode. That was fun. Let's see... Who else haven't I seen in a while?