PDA

View Full Version : Wheels, wheels, and wheels

sjbraun
11-23-2016, 06:35 PM
Okay, you know I lost a bike recently, so pardon me if I consult the Paceline community for ideas, confirmations, and condemnations.

Not ready to buy a frame, heck, I haven't even contacted my insurance company yet.

One scenario I'm considering is sinking my $$ into a frame and a nice set of wheels and repurposing a Campy 10 speed group I can put together out of what's left in my parts bin.

So, do I buy some Boyd wheels on Friday? They have a nice Black Friday deal- all wheels are upgraded to WI hubs for no extra cost. The carbon 28mm wheels satisfy my weight weenie fantasies, but are carbon wheels foolish for a non-racer? The wheels I'm replacing weighed just under 1400 gms. Never had a problem with them in a 20x24 build, (Kinlin rims, WI front hub, Alchemy rear with C-Xray spokes.) I really liked how light wheels accelerated and I never felt like the wheels were squirrely in any way.

What say you friends? Carbon wheels at 1347gms or alloy clinchers for 1460gms.

Thanks for humoring me.

Steve

tuscanyswe
11-23-2016, 06:43 PM
How much will those wheels cost during BF discount?

I think barely used carbon wheels are a great way to test the waters for you.
Buy a used set of zipp, enve, reynolds etc for likely less money than your new boyds.

If you dont think they are a worthy upgrade over your current alloy kinlins for the money you can sell those and get most if not all of the cash back and put it towards something you think will benefit you or your cycling more..

If you buy the boyds i dont think you will be able to resell without a pretty big loss even with the BF deal price. There are tons of nice used wheelsets out there and to the next guy your wheels will be used boyds and considered a "lesser" deal than perhaps some other brands available at similar cost.

I really like carbon wheels for most applications but buying them new isent cost effective, esp not if you are not sure you will keep and enjoy the "benefits".

Tony
11-23-2016, 06:46 PM
Go with your fantasies and get the carbon wheels. Also, I think it would be a good idea to contacted your insurance company asap.

gasman
11-23-2016, 07:39 PM
From what I've heard Boyd wheels are a great value for carbon. if you can get them with WI hub upgrade I say do it. Why not ? I've got some carbon clinchers and don't race any more. I love them in the dry weather.

oldpotatoe
11-24-2016, 05:30 AM
Okay, you know I lost a bike recently, so pardon me if I consult the Paceline community for ideas, confirmations, and condemnations.

Not ready to buy a frame, heck, I haven't even contacted my insurance company yet.

One scenario I'm considering is sinking my $$ into a frame and a nice set of wheels and repurposing a Campy 10 speed group I can put together out of what's left in my parts bin.

So, do I buy some Boyd wheels on Friday? They have a nice Black Friday deal- all wheels are upgraded to WI hubs for no extra cost. The carbon 28mm wheels satisfy my weight weenie fantasies, but are carbon wheels foolish for a non-racer? The wheels I'm replacing weighed just under 1400 gms. Never had a problem with them in a 20x24 build, (Kinlin rims, WI front hub, Alchemy rear with C-Xray spokes.) I really liked how light wheels accelerated and I never felt like the wheels were squirrely in any way.

What say you friends? Carbon wheels at 1347gms or alloy clinchers for 1460gms.

Thanks for humoring me.

Steve

Sure, why not? WI upgrade I think the best part. Rev your juices to go ride the (future) rig? Sure, go get 'em..finish the bike-go ride, ride lots.

reggiebaseball
11-24-2016, 10:59 AM
I think I would go for a gently used set of Boras or Lightweights, if you have the cash.

uber
11-25-2016, 07:59 AM
A good quality carbon wheel is great for everyday riding. That said, I have found
Enve rims to be pretty indestructible, but I have not had as good luck with Zipp or Reynolds. I have no experience with Boyd, but I would rather buy used Enve or Campy Bora. BTW, I have yet to use a smoother shifting gruppo than Campy 10 Record. Good luck.
Best

Erik_A
11-25-2016, 08:12 AM
If you are starting from scratch, why not go with disc wheels? They stop better when wet...

If you are stuck on sticking with rim brakes, than I would say go with a set of the new Pacenti Forza or HED Belgium C2+, aluminum rims and White industry or Chris King hubs.

If you are not racing, and therefore don't care about weight, why go carbon for your everyday wheels? Most racers that I know only use carbon wheels on race day, but train on aluminum otherwise.