PDA

View Full Version : PSA-Exploding rear der

oldpotatoe
11-23-2016, 06:30 AM
For y'all who take your pulleys off to clean them..be careful.

http://www.velonews.com/2016/11/bikes-and-tech/technical-faq-rear-derailleur-explosion_425191

Wish I had a $ for every rear der cage I've seen upside down or inner chainring mounted backwards..

Cicli
11-23-2016, 06:41 AM
Saw that once. The one I worked on was Chorus and just made noise in the second to the biggest cog. Cage would hit the big cog.

paredown
11-23-2016, 07:48 AM
First bicycle head-scratcher for me. I wrecked my first 10 speed (so long ago that they were fairly rare) and bent the jockey wheel cage. Put it into the wheel as I remember, dicing with my brother on a gravel path...

Dad had coached me enough that I recognized that the cage was alu, and could probably be bent back into shape. Took it apart, squashed it flat, and then sat there without a clue as to how it would go back together.

Enter Dad--who had never seen a derailleur bike before, but was a good mechanic. 'It looks to me like it would have to go like this' he says, and sure enough, he was right...

earlfoss
11-23-2016, 10:30 AM
The first thing I thought of when I read that article is that the guy probably tried to disassemble and reassemble the cage at some point. I believe that he may have reassembled it incorrectly, broke it, and is now trying to get it warrantied through Campagnolo USA.

The bike shop that worked on it "didn't notice it" which to me is a red flag. It probably was in that shop before he took it apart and put it back together wrong.