PDA

View Full Version : OT: motorcycle itch (buell?)

thirdgenbird
11-22-2016, 09:23 PM
So I've got the itch for another motorcycle. I haven't owned one in quite some time. I've always been a euro guy, but I've sorta got the itch for a buell. Funny from a guy that doesn't think much of Harley motorcycles.

Here is sort of what I am looking for, not hard requirements, but ideals:
Sport bike like handling
Naked
V twin
Air cooled

Ducati and Buell were the first things to come to mind. I've also looked into the sv1000 (love the 650) but they don't come up often and prices on the buell and monster s2r seem pretty reasonable. No valve adjustments or chain maintenance sounds like some nice to haves as well.

Anyway, the bike would be a toy for commuting, around town, and general fun riding. It may stick around, it may just be in itch that needs scratched.

Any buell owners or feedback?

William
11-22-2016, 10:15 PM
The last of the Buells went here... (http://www.the47.com/#design)

Price is up there but I dig them. only a few left I believe.

William

thirdgenbird
11-22-2016, 10:42 PM
Those are pretty sweet but hard to justify when $4,000 will buy you a nearly new xb12s.

The best deal I've found is actually a xb12scg. I am a bit taller than the norm for the cg, but I als o never had an issue riding small displacement vintage bikes. Hard to believe it's noticeably smaller than a ninja 250.

Edit:
I'm als surprised at how cheap the 1125 had gotten. It's arguably the better bike but I feel like it is missing some of the simple charm that the earlier bikes possess.

bart998
11-22-2016, 10:43 PM
Try the Indian Scout or the new Victory Ignition... I absolutely love my Indian. Basically the same bike but the Victory is a bit more sporty. Unless you want super fast and sporty... then only a Norton will do.

thirdgenbird
11-22-2016, 10:51 PM
I appreciate the recommendation, but part of the buell draw with the $4,000 buy in cost. I've got three local(ish) options that well under $5,000 and have less than 6000mi.

K u r t
11-22-2016, 10:56 PM
KTM is worth a look as well. Euro engineering may be a "plus" and it will be a superior athlete to yankee iron, if that's what you're looking for. KTM V twins are rather insane & hooliganish in spirit if you haven't ridden - totally seductive. Be careful!

thirdgenbird
11-22-2016, 11:14 PM
I've got my eye open for a KTM. Currently only one used street bike in my search and it's twice the budget.

christian
11-23-2016, 04:50 AM
I rode an S2T a few months ago. It was fun - short wheelbase, punchy torquey engine. Good rip-snorting fun. And handled well, accepting the weight as it is. As long as you are aware of the shortcomings - front motor mount, frequent rear suspension rebuilds from exhaust heat, etc. why not. The engine package is obviously solid. I say, get a tuber!

AngryScientist
11-23-2016, 06:17 AM
i have no input on particular models, but just wanted to hop on your bandwagon and say "go for it". life is just more enjoyable on 2 wheels.

shovelhd
11-23-2016, 08:11 AM
My last bike was an original handmade RS1200. It had the typical handmade bike glitches but Erik was great to work with to resolve them. The Sportster motor was easy and cheap to modify. I added a big bore kit, heads, carb, ignition, and exhaust. The later models use FI and can be reprogrammed for mods. At some point I'm going to buy another bike to get my motoref license and it will probably be a Lightning or a S2T. I will need something with a small fairing to hide a GPS, stop watches, and a radio.

I have pics that I'll post when I get a chance.

thirdgenbird
11-23-2016, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the feedback.

Christian, why a tube frame over the xb?

christian
11-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Because Buell-ier.

XBs are great (and arguably easier to live with), but tubers feel and look so handmade. If I could find a nice S2T, I couldn't resist.

shovelhd
11-23-2016, 10:18 AM
The tube frame looks like a race bike. The aluminum frame looks like every other Japanese crotch rocket.

christian
11-23-2016, 10:21 AM
Also, if you buy one on the east coast, I'll happily ride it to you for the cost of a bus ticket to Omaha.

thirdgenbird
11-23-2016, 10:21 AM
The tube frame bikes are 1500-2500 with 10-15k. It really looks like a great deal, they just don't quite do it for me like the Xb.

AngryScientist
11-23-2016, 10:47 AM
once you start messing around with high end bicycles, you realize just what a fantastic value motorcycles are.

thirdgenbird
11-23-2016, 11:29 AM
Also, if you buy one on the east coast, I'll happily ride it to you for the cost of a bus ticket to Omaha.

That's tempting. Omaha isn't the closest bus station, but I will keep it in mind.

once you start messing around with high end bicycles, you realize just what a fantastic value motorcycles are.

Oh, I know. I've had a Daytona.

The tube frame looks like a race bike. The aluminum frame looks like every other Japanese crotch rocket.

Except for the crazy short wheelbase, huge air cooled lump handing below the frame, and the unique front brake.

The tube frame bikes look like a race frame fitted with the engine, wheels and brakes from a 90s cruiser. It's not a criticism, it's exactly what it is. I admit, that I love some of the tube frame models when fitted with a different subframe. Prices are good too. My hesitation to a tube frame model is the temptation to customize. I see lots of things I would want to change. It would be fun, but it threatens the value. I've got my eye on a low mileage and completely stock xb.

malcolm
11-23-2016, 12:42 PM
KTM is worth a look as well. Euro engineering may be a "plus" and it will be a superior athlete to yankee iron, if that's what you're looking for. KTM V twins are rather insane & hooliganish in spirit if you haven't ridden - totally seductive. Be careful!

Last time I was shopping a KTM 990 made the short list. Went with a Ducati multistrada and it was an awesome bike more in line with my style and riding objectives, but for pure fun and put a smile on your face the KTM was an awesomely fun wheelie machine.

Gummee
11-23-2016, 02:57 PM
i have no input on particular models, but just wanted to hop on your bandwagon and say "go for it". life is just more enjoyable on 2 wheels.

I agree with this statement

Too bad I've had to schlepp bikes around a bunch this summer/fall. Didn't ride my Duc nearly as much as I'd liked to have

Being able to schlepp a bike around really makes me miss my GS-Adv.

My little brother has a 99 X-7 Lightning. He's got a few power mods done and it's an absolute hoot to ride. Too bad you can hear it for a mile away.

M

thirdgenbird
11-23-2016, 03:32 PM
Both buells on my radar have the stock exhaust. I'm ok with it being a bit loud, but I don't want it to be like a Harley with no muffler. I can't stand that.

avalonracing
11-23-2016, 04:05 PM
I just got back on a Ducati Monster 796.
I used to have a Monster 900Sie then a VFR 800 and a BMW F800s. The VFR has the best engine of any motorcycle ever but I got the F800 because I wanted a lighter bike. But I went to San Francisco a few months back and rented a 796, and I've been stuck on getting one ever since.

The 796 has a great riding position, great torque, sounds fabulous and is just a blast to ride. That said compared to the Honda or BMW this sucker is temperamental. It doesn't like to start in the cold, takes a while to warm up in the morning and doesn't suffer fools when it comes to handling. If you can deal with the hassles of an Italian bike a Monster is just too much fun (which is what bikes are all about, right?)

Dr Luxurious
11-23-2016, 04:12 PM
I've been bugging for a Triumph 675R for a while now.
Love the idea of a triple.
Problem is I'd have to sell my CB750 to make it happen...

shovelhd
11-23-2016, 04:38 PM
Both buells on my radar have the stock exhaust. I'm ok with it being a bit loud, but I don't want it to be like a Harley with no muffler. I can't stand that.

There are excellent aftermarket mufflers for Buells. The one I had sounded a lot more like a Ducati than a Harley.

thirdgenbird
11-23-2016, 04:54 PM
There are excellent aftermarket mufflers for Buells. The one I had sounded a lot more like a Ducati than a Harley.

If I even get it, I was thinking about keeping it stock. The option of a modified OEM muffler that retained the valve is interesting.

What did you have?

shovelhd
11-23-2016, 06:59 PM
If I even get it, I was thinking about keeping it stock. The option of a modified OEM muffler that retained the valve is interesting.

What did you have?

Supertrapp, open end cap.

Ken Robb
11-23-2016, 07:13 PM
I used to have a Monster 900Sie then a VFR 800 and a BMW F800s. The VFR has the best engine of any motorcycle ever but I got the F800 because I wanted a lighter bike. But I went to San Francisco a few months back and rented a 796, and I've been stuck on getting one ever since.

The 796 has a great riding position, great torque, sounds fabulous and is just a blast to ride. That said compared to the Honda or BMW this sucker is temperamental. It doesn't like to start in the cold, takes a while to warm up in the morning and doesn't suffer fools when it comes to handling. If you can deal with the hassles of an Italian bike a Monster is just too much fun (which is what bikes are all about, right?)
MY Ducati had "OFFROAD" Termignoni carbon fiber exhaust, air box, ECU and it started and ran perfectly. The pipes were a bit louder than stock but really not much louder than a stock 1970 Bonneville.

Louis
11-23-2016, 07:41 PM
2010 Triumph Thruxton on ADVrider, 58xx miles, $5800

Lots of mods. Located in Ohio.

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2010-triumph-thruxton-ohio.1184962/

(have to be a member to see the Classifieds)

thirdgenbird
11-23-2016, 08:58 PM
That is nice.

Louis
11-23-2016, 09:18 PM
Here's a Buell on ADVrider: (located in Queens, NY)

2006 Buell Ulysses XB12X, Black, ~20,600 miles, $4500

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/2006-buell-ulysses-xb12x-queens-nyc.1176522/

High-res imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/WO1iU

Reliable, 100% garage kept, very comfortable, do-it-all bike. Always started up and never let me down in my 7.5 years of ownership.

thirdgenbird
11-23-2016, 09:52 PM
I'm wanting a xb12s lightning

Does the Ulysses really bring that much more money? That's a lot more miles for the price than a lightning or firebolt.

shovelhd
11-23-2016, 10:07 PM
Buell prices are all over the map. However they didn't make that many XB12X, and clean ones with all the accessories in good shape retain good value. Same with the S2T's that have clean bags with no gouges and working locks.

Louis
11-23-2016, 10:07 PM
I don't know anything about them. Posted it only because it was the right brand...

Good luck with your search.

avalonracing
11-23-2016, 11:10 PM
MY Ducati had "OFFROAD" Termignoni carbon fiber exhaust, air box, ECU and it started and ran perfectly. The pipes were a bit louder than stock but really not much louder than a stock 1970 Bonneville.

I have some carbon SC Project cans on mine. Loud even with the baffles. I'm going to work out the kinks in this bike because it is just too much of a blast to ride.

Louis
11-23-2016, 11:32 PM
I have some carbon SC Project cans on mine.

I've been wondering, do they make CF exhausts primarily to reduce the weight (saving a pound or two on something that already weighs ~450 lbs + rider) or is there another reason?

It seems to me that unlike a pedal-bike where HP is severely limited by our wimpy legs, gram-shaving on motos (that have 100+ HP) doesn't make as much sense.

(This isn't meant to be a slam on your very cool Duc - I'm a newcomer to the moto world.)

avalonracing
11-24-2016, 12:23 AM
I've been wondering, do they make CF exhausts primarily to reduce the weight (saving a pound or two on something that already weighs ~450 lbs + rider) or is there another reason?

It seems to me that unlike a pedal-bike where HP is severely limited by our wimpy legs, gram-shaving on motos (that have 100+ HP) doesn't make as much sense.

(This isn't meant to be a slam on your very cool Duc - I'm a newcomer to the moto world.)

People are pretty crazy about weight on motorbikes too. One of the reasons I now have this instead of my trusty 2001 VFR is because this is over 100 pounds lighter and it feels great on the slower twisties. But the best part about the carbon cans on this bike is that they won't burn the crap out of me or (more likely) my passenger. You can touch these right after riding and they are not hot.

rkhatibi
11-24-2016, 12:53 AM

A full titanium or CF exhaust system (cans and headers) can drop 20-25lbs over stock depending on the OEM equipment. Also full systems can be optimized for power rather than noise or pollution or you may need increased flow depending on intake work you've done.

shovelhd
11-24-2016, 05:51 AM
Damn that's a sweet looking Duck.

thirdgenbird
11-24-2016, 07:28 AM
Damn that's a sweet looking Duck.

Yep.

I agree on the carbon can. I had one on my triumph and it is the way to go with a side mount system. Metal exhaust will burn you instantly. Carbon us just warm to the touch.

stephenmarklay
11-24-2016, 10:41 AM

If you would have ridden a 1200 you would have bought it :hello:

stephenmarklay
11-24-2016, 10:42 AM
I have some carbon SC Project cans on mine. Loud even with the baffles. I'm going to work out the kinks in this bike because it is just too much of a blast to ride.’

A change of gearing on that bike makes it more enjoyable around town.

seric
11-24-2016, 01:21 PM
I enjoy my XB9R, for some reason I prefer the delivery and feel over the 1200. I went with an LSL Superbike bar kit to make it into kind of a large supermoto for the goat trails in my area. An STM slipper clutch is also a really fun upgrade for these bikes. The fit and finish on some of the controls could be better, but there are quality replacements from Rizoma and others. A Rotary Master Cylinder upgrade is also pretty mandatory to get good feel out of the otherwise quality front brake. There was also a kickstand recall, be sure it's upgraded otherwise it can vibrate off the kickstand while warming up.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2015974/forumjunk/Sept17th2.jpg

avalonracing
11-24-2016, 01:41 PM

A change of gearing on that bike makes it more enjoyable around town.

I have a 14T front sitting on my desk waiting for me to put it on next week. ;)

I thought about getting the 1200 but I had such a nice experience on the 796 in NorCal and I figured the 1200 would just get me into trouble faster.

And when I saw the throwback 1978 Ducati Isle of Man livery on this bike I couldn't resist it.

I think I need to get some new rubber on the bike though as the older Pirelli Rossos felt a bit squirrely in the cold yesterday. Damn motorbikes are expensive. If someone tried to sell you a car that burned through $300 tires every five thousand miles and needs about $1000 in general maintenance every 10K miles you'd tell them to eff off.

thirdgenbird
11-24-2016, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I debated a xb9 but the 12 is far more common around here.

The plan would be a diesel moto tail, axle sliders, and bar end mirrors. Maybe new levers depending on feel. I want to keep it close to stock and easy to revert back.

I will check the kickstand recall. I thought 08-09 was already fixed but it's worth looking at.

seric
11-24-2016, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the info. I debated a xb9 but the 12 is far more common around here.

The plan would be a diesel moto tail, axle sliders, and bar end mirrors. Maybe new levers depending on feel. I want to keep it close to stock and easy to revert back.

I will check the kickstand recall. I thought 08-09 was already fixed but it's worth looking at.

08-09 should be fine. I think the recall was in 2005. Don't interpret my comment on my preference for the 9 to be any negative feelings towards the 1200. That preference is going to fall along the lines of bicycle seats, what works for one person isn't what will work for others. My riding style just tends to be more in the higher rev range. The low end torque of the 12 just lends itself to a different technique.

thirdgenbird
11-25-2016, 05:04 PM
2008 xb12scg purchased.

wallymann
11-25-2016, 05:51 PM
imo...you should keep an eye out for an SV. it's not air-cooled, but it ticks all the boxes and has a huge community of guys that mod them. here's mines...with front-end from a GSXR 750 and rear-end from a GSXR 1000 with Kawi ZX10 shock in there, too. tons of naked SVs on the market, and it's fall...now is the time to buy.

http://brown-snout.com/motorrad/sv650r/sv-r_rearquarter.jpghttp://brown-snout.com/motorrad/sv650r/sv-r_frontquarter.jpg

So I've got the itch for another motorcycle.
Here is sort of what I am looking for, not hard requirements, but ideals:
Sport bike like handling
Naked
V twin
Air cooled

Ducati and Buell were the first things to come to mind. I've also looked into the sv1000 (love the 650) but they don't come up often and prices on the buell and monster s2r seem pretty reasonable. No valve adjustments or chain maintenance sounds like some nice to haves as well.

Anyway, the bike would be a toy for commuting, around town, and general fun riding. It may stick around, it may just be in itch that needs scratched.

Any buell owners or feedback?

shovelhd
11-25-2016, 05:56 PM
2008 xb12scg purchased.

Pics!!!!

thirdgenbird
11-25-2016, 06:16 PM
Sv was on my radar. I've spent time one one.

Pics!!!!

It's cold and dark here but here is the picture from the add.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/Buell/2263DAA3-181A-4062-A315-EB935BE66567_zpsollxc9rg.jpg

thirdgenbird
11-25-2016, 08:02 PM
Oh, the bike has OEM wind deflectors. I won't use them if an XB owner would like them, I need the OEM lever pivots ;)

shovelhd
11-25-2016, 09:38 PM
Nice.

Tony
11-25-2016, 11:03 PM
imo...you should keep an eye out for an SV. it's not air-cooled, but it ticks all the boxes and has a huge community of guys that mod them. here's mines...with front-end from a GSXR 750 and rear-end from a GSXR 1000 with Kawi ZX10 shock in there, too. tons of naked SVs on the market, and it's fall...now is the time to buy.

http://brown-snout.com/motorrad/sv650r/sv-r_rearquarter.jpghttp://brown-snout.com/motorrad/sv650r/sv-r_frontquarter.jpg

Nice!! Duck hunter!

YesNdeed
11-26-2016, 07:23 PM
I noticed this on my FB feed. PJ is a friend of mine, and bicyclist. Search PJ's Albuquerque.

Ken Robb
11-26-2016, 09:29 PM
A BUELL Blast is like a Chevette compared to their Corvette-like models the others have posted about. :-)

YesNdeed
11-26-2016, 10:16 PM
A BUELL Blast is like a Chevette compared to their Corvette-like models the others have posted about. :-)

But it says Buell in the subject line! What, I thought I did good :confused:
I guess I'll stick to bicycles :bike:

thirdgenbird
11-26-2016, 10:24 PM

It looks like a great base for a total custom build. They are dirt cheap and reliable.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hKkYZ9GWzKA/SwOgBjPMc0I/AAAAAAAADzA/A9MvM4z2f_Y/s1600/mac-buell.jpg

http://kickstart.bikeexif.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/buell-blast.jpg

ofcounsel
11-26-2016, 11:41 PM

Agreed!!! SV's make great race bikes too! Here's what mine looked like about 3 crashes ago! They crash well too!

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s81/ofcounsel/7999_508216159215621_1466437275_n_zps0bc4bb0b.jpg

GSX-R front end. Yamaha R1 front brakes. Brembo rear brake, Brembo brake level/master, Brembo front rotors, braced swingarm, custom rear subframe, magnesium wheels.... built motor... the works.

thirdgenbird
11-28-2016, 12:21 AM
I realized tonight that my helmet is aging. I've always been a simple helmet guy (current is matte black) but I kind of want to step out a bit. It's mixing styles, but I kind of like this asymmetrical vintage look.
http://equipment.bikeexif.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/e/bell-bullitt-2016-chem-candy-grey.jpeg
http://equipment.bikeexif.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/e/bell-bullitt-2016-chem-candy-grey-2.jpeg
http://equipment.bikeexif.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/u/bullitt-chem-candy-grey-3.jpg

Can I pull it off with the buell?
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/Buell/2263DAA3-181A-4062-A315-EB935BE66567_zpsollxc9rg.jpg

Several retailers have it on big discount.

avalonracing
11-28-2016, 11:52 AM
I have a Bell Bullett helmet. I love it, especially if you take off the face shield. It gives you full face protection with less sacrifice to your field of vision. Try it on first as they fit a bit different. I'm a full size up over my other Bell moto helmets. If your local dealer doesn't carry Bell a good place is Revzilla. They have it for more than half-off today.

thirdgenbird
11-28-2016, 12:15 PM
Think it will look fine with the bike?

I was looking at revzilla. Great price, return/exchangeable, and I can't get it local.

My hjc is a large. Any insight on comparison? The hjc isn't loose, but I wouldn't want it an bigger.

Gummee
11-28-2016, 05:17 PM
I have last year's Bell Star carbon helmet

Mmmmm nice

Then I went and bought the transitions shield.

Even mo bettah!

I have an MX9 and the off-road helmet too, but haven't actually worn em yet. My DS bike needs a coupla engines

M

avalonracing
11-28-2016, 05:24 PM
Think it will look fine with the bike?

I was looking at revzilla. Great price, return/exchangeable, and I can't get it local.

My hjc is a large. Any insight on comparison? The hjc isn't loose, but I wouldn't want it an bigger.

I have a newer Bell Star it a Large and I think it is the tiniest bit big (my Bell bicycle helmets are Medium). That said, I got a Bullett from Revzilla in Large and NO WAY. The helmet basically wanted to rip my ears off when taking it on and off and it put pressure across the front of my head. So I sent it back for an XL and while it is still tough on the ears it feels good when it is on. And it isn't like a have a fat head I used to wear a Arai Profile which is narrow. If you search around the Bullett is just tough to get on and off.

Still, I love the Bullett and am thinking about getting another as a passenger helmet.

thirdgenbird
11-28-2016, 06:43 PM
Avalon, just sent a pm before I saw this. I appreciate the feedback sounds like an XL may be the ticket.

Still deciding between this artwork or a more expensive solid color.

avalonracing
11-28-2016, 07:13 PM
Avalon, just sent a pm before I saw this. I appreciate the feedback sounds like an XL may be the ticket.

Still deciding between this artwork or a more expensive solid color.

Replied. Also, they have the Titanium color on sale (click on the "Retro Blue" color on Revzilla)

thirdgenbird
11-28-2016, 07:47 PM
The titanium is the other color I am looking at. The other is just more unique, comes with two face shields, and has a cheaper price. Decisions decisions.

thirdgenbird
11-29-2016, 01:19 AM
Gummee or Avalon,

Can one of you check the ECE tag in your bullitt and confirm if the chin guard was tested?
http://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/ece-22-05-regulation-22-testing-crash-helmets/

avalonracing
11-29-2016, 07:06 AM
Gummee or Avalon,

Can one of you check the ECE tag in your bullitt and confirm if the chin guard was tested?
http://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/ece-22-05-regulation-22-testing-crash-helmets/

There is a decal on the back of the helmet marked: ECE 22.05

thirdgenbird
11-29-2016, 07:17 AM
It's the P or NP that I am questioning. Sounds like this is placed inside somewhere with a country code and accreditation number.

I called bell. They claim the US market bullitt doesn't carry the ece certification and said the helmets from US retailers should only have the DOT logo. I called revzilla (great service and info) and they said their helmets came with the outer ece decal but they did not have the internal ece tag.

It's not as cool looking but I think in going to stick with an arai or shoei, whichever fits best. I am quite tempted by the Shoei qwest or rf1200.

rkhatibi
11-29-2016, 03:45 PM
RF1200 still my favorite though came close to going with the GT Air.

Motorcycle Gear (http://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/closeouts/helmets/shoei/rf_1200_cruise_helmet.html) formerly New Enough has a few Shoei models on sale. Bought the majority of gear through them. Always had a good experience.

Ken Robb
11-29-2016, 05:11 PM
In my nasty crash I "tested" and Arai Quantum D. It is really beat up and ground down. I was knocked out but had no permanent damage to my head. If I had worn an open-face helmet I wouldn't have a face.

thirdgenbird
11-29-2016, 05:19 PM
Thanks guys. The other benefit is that I should be able to try both brands at a local-ish dealer.

bloody sunday
12-06-2016, 05:47 AM
I have a titanium colored Bell Bullitt - I absolutely love that helmet.

I'm riding a 2001 Harley Davidson Sportster Sport :D

Fatty
12-06-2016, 07:34 AM
In my nasty crash I "tested" and Arai Quantum D. It is really beat up and ground down. I was knocked out but had no permanent damage to my head. If I had worn an open-face helmet I wouldn't have a face.

That's why they call them "Open Face".

Gummee
12-06-2016, 07:46 AM
https://clas-pages.uncc.edu/visualrhetoric/wp-content/uploads/sites/651/2014/04/helmet-impact.jpg

thirdgenbird
12-06-2016, 08:16 AM
Yep. That's my hesitation with the Bullitt. I suspect it was ECE tested as a helmet with a non-protective face cover.

I caught a huge sale on a close out bell star carbon. It's the previous generation, but it's well rated, looks better, and it was about 50% off. Free return shipping and no stocking fee if it doesn't fit.

bloody sunday
12-06-2016, 11:21 AM
Yep. That's my hesitation with the Bullitt. I suspect it was ECE tested as a helmet with a non-protective face cover.

I caught a huge sale on a close out bell star carbon. It's the previous generation, but it's well rated, looks better, and it was about 50% off. Free return shipping and no stocking fee if it doesn't fit.

http://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/bell-bullitt-retro-look-full-face-helmet-review/#Safety

thirdgenbird
12-06-2016, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I had already read that. No clarification on chinguard testing. The chinguard is not tested in the SHARP test. Impact zones are shown on their website. It appears they only test the latch on convertible helmets.

thirdgenbird
12-06-2016, 08:27 PM
No dice on the Star Carbon. It appears to be a size too small. I was a bit nervous after opening as I noticed the measurements on the box did not match the ones on the size chart. Sure enough, the cheek pads hurt and I can't get it on or off without knocking the chin curtain loose.

I can't decide if I want a refund or exchange. It's a great piece of kit, but even a properly sized one likely won't fit sunglasses. It's also hard to determine shape when the size is off.