PDA

View Full Version : Tufo tape mung?

djg
07-24-2006, 08:54 PM
So I thought I'd try the tufo tape on the fixie for the heck of it--bought the "extreme" version and it went on just fine. Lately, maybe it's the heat or something, but it's been melting--shifty at the edges and little balls of gooey mung working their way out from under the tire. Enough, right? So I've pulled the tire and the tape itself came off in one piece just fine. It left a nice, thin, smooth layer of whatever sort of adhesive they use on the rim. Here's the question: can this be used as a base layer with, say Vittoria glue, or do I have to scour the rim and start fresh? Any opinions or actual experience out there?

Too Tall
07-25-2006, 06:40 AM
The glue residue left behind is OK if it adheres well...leave it. I've gone thru the exact same process on a bunch of wheelsets and always left it alone.

You still need to lay down several VERY VERY thin layers of glue because that stuff does not cover the entire rim and you want a consistent and even glue surface right?

The residue is compatible with Vittoria, Soyo and Panaracer...I've used all these over it....no sweat.

DOH! Almost forgot to say....Thank You for using tubulars :)

djg
07-25-2006, 08:17 PM
The glue residue left behind is OK if it adheres well...leave it. I've gone thru the exact same process on a bunch of wheelsets and always left it alone.

You still need to lay down several VERY VERY thin layers of glue because that stuff does not cover the entire rim and you want a consistent and even glue surface right?

The residue is compatible with Vittoria, Soyo and Panaracer...I've used all these over it....no sweat.

Well, you're welcome tall guy. I just give, give, give, you know?

catulle
07-25-2006, 08:43 PM

LOL. You're funny, really funny. :D