PDA

View Full Version : "Oh, you shouldn't have!"

johnmdesigner
11-21-2016, 12:01 PM
I really didn't expect this level of absurdity.
You need to up your game Assos!

gasman
11-21-2016, 12:10 PM
All that packing for two water bottles ? What a waste.

tuscanyswe
11-21-2016, 12:15 PM

+1 Gets me bit sad tbh.

deechee
11-21-2016, 12:25 PM
Apparently you've never received packages (http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/japans-excessive-packaging-fetish-299)from Japan... and these examples aren't even that bad...

fourflys
11-21-2016, 12:34 PM
so THATs why I can't afford Rapha gear.... they have to pay for all that brand marketing... ;)

tiretrax
11-21-2016, 12:35 PM
at least the material can be recycled.

ultraman6970
11-21-2016, 12:41 PM
The best printed and packaging paper i've ever seen is done in japan.

For example the pokemon cards made in japan are just out of this world and worth every penny, the best pokemon card sold in the US is not even close to those japanese ones.

Honestly? for what you pay for any of those rapha items, the least they can do is to pack it like if it worth a million bucks, beautiful packing.

With other companies is just a box with all the stuff lose inside, but you arent paying for the brand and what it it :)

:)

chiasticon
11-21-2016, 01:32 PM
at least the material can be recycled.yeah everything in these images is 100% recyclable, including the bottles.

it's excessive, but I've seen worse. I once got a 24x12x10" box from Amazon to ship me a 3' USB cable. seriously.

also if you think this is bad you should order a pair of shoes from them. it's basically double all of that.

Jingle Jangle
11-21-2016, 02:09 PM
I just nip into the shop in Spitalfields, and take them off the shelves.

Keeps the carbon footprint down;)

MattTuck
11-21-2016, 02:15 PM
Doesn't seem too egregious to me. A few pieces of paper that are recyclable and from a (generally) renewable resource.

It may be highly visible, but it is hardly the worst offender in the whole situation when you compare it to the carbon footprint of the actual water bottles and the related shipping from the point of manufacture.

Red Tornado
11-21-2016, 02:32 PM
If you've seen the latest Dell commercials.... This kind of packaging ensures that you're paying for both shipping and HANDLING.

PaulE
11-21-2016, 03:22 PM
It's all part of the experience. Fizik's packaging for shoes, saddles and handlebars is pretty fancy too, but not up to the Rapha standard.

tiretrax
11-21-2016, 03:23 PM
I just nip into the shop in Spitalfields, and take them off the shelves.

Keeps the carbon footprint down;)

Ha - My wife just told me about Spitalfields - she's sending our daughter that attend universities in Scotland. I may have to find my passport if it's that good.

franswa
11-21-2016, 03:23 PM
What's the big deal?

PaulE
11-21-2016, 04:10 PM
Ha - My wife just told me about Spitalfields - she's sending our daughter that attend universities in Scotland. I may have to find my passport if it's that good.

At Rapha prices, assuming you'll be bringing the stuff back to the US, find out fi the shop participates in the VAT refund program where you drop off a form at the airport and the VAT gets refunded to you.

Mike Lopez
11-21-2016, 04:53 PM
...I get the whole brand thing but I've always thought it was crazy how much influence on the bill of materials the packaging can have. I had to spend less on materials and process so the marketing guys could have their packaging and still meet the necessary sale price that they pulled from their rear ends.

As a consumer I don't want to pay for that stuff recyclable or not. I'd rather have more substance to my product than the experience of the packaging and presentation. I know...Get off my lawn right? ;)

Speaking of recycling. Typically it takes roughly a month for my SO and I to fill our recycling bin to the point I'll take it out to the curb. Recently the daughter and granddaughter have been staying with us a lot and the bin is full in a couple/few days with amazon and other assorted boxes and packaging materials. Then I'm asked to put the stuff in my truck and take it to the shop to use the recycling bin there which is a violation of the terms of my lease.

It's a strange new world out there!

OtayBW
11-21-2016, 04:54 PM
The packaging on the new(er) Assos S7 line of bibs (Equipe, Cento, Camionissimo, etc.) comes with some pretty obscene packaging. There is this 'multi-fold-origami-kind-of-a-box' and a book that was many tens of pages long as I recall. That said, it had more of a 'functional' feel than the Rapha which just seems like something glammed up to make you feel special about the quality of their...well, er...water bottles.

johnmdesigner
11-21-2016, 06:53 PM
After all this "gilding the lilly" you still have to pay for shipping and bad Fed Ex shipping it is. 8 days from Portland, OR to NYC. In another transaction last week my seller used USPS shipped from California to NYC took only 4 days.
But perhaps the anticipation is part of the plan.

adub
11-21-2016, 07:06 PM
Dude, you ordered Rapha water-bottles, what did you expect?

BTW- they expect you will only fill them with Acqua Panna, or the warranty will be voided..

estilley
11-21-2016, 07:13 PM

BTW- they expect you will only fill them with Acqua Panna, or the warranty will be voided..

Yeah don't even think about filling them with San Pellegrino...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charliedid
11-21-2016, 07:45 PM
Use the return label and send back all the waste.

DarkStar
11-21-2016, 07:55 PM
Agree! And more cost to buyer.

Steelman
11-21-2016, 08:25 PM
Next time buy a couple of ordinary, down-market, Elite bottles ($10ea shipped). Then use the savings to fund some environmental concern, or perhaps pay a protester.

rallizes
11-21-2016, 08:32 PM
Have you visited the Soho location?

buddybikes
11-21-2016, 08:39 PM
10.00 extra for paper packaging, it is a Camelbak Podium.

adub
11-21-2016, 08:53 PM
And my mistake- when you pay $15+ It's a bidon

johnmdesigner
11-21-2016, 08:56 PM

Please I'm not your dude.
After all it's better to drink ze Kool aid from yes?

oldpotatoe
11-22-2016, 06:29 AM
Apparently you've never received packages (http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/japans-excessive-packaging-fetish-299)from Japan... and these examples aren't even that bad...

HA.."and YOU can find someplace to throw it away"..remember, there is somebody sitting at a desk somewhere doing this by hand, all day.

El Chaba
11-22-2016, 06:36 AM

I think they are supposed to be filled with Pellechino....It's a new prestige brand of water that pretends to have a long, storied history in Europe but is actually sourced in China....

Jingle Jangle
11-22-2016, 02:14 PM
Have you visited the Soho location?

I have, it's probably their 'flagship' store. Spitalfields is 'round the corner from where I work, and I often go to the market for a bite to eat at lunchtime.

The Rapha store is a good place to get a coffee and pastry, and watch the world go by.

Strangely, my last purchase, other than coffee, was a pair of water bottles for my trip to L'eroica in October. I got a discount for buying a pair, they were actually quite cheap. No packaging though, just got handed a pair of bottles.

retrofit
11-22-2016, 03:08 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697930647&stc=1&d=1479751231

I'm more curious about the "Hampster attacco" news story. Details? :banana:

johnmdesigner
11-22-2016, 03:13 PM
Oh hell I'm full of cold medicine at the moment and the Italian part of the brain not working.
It's interesting that the Gazzettino is reprinted on tissue paper. Cuz ze ink would rub off on ze bottles.