PDA

View Full Version : H Plus Son Archtype Rim - feedback

Clancy
11-21-2016, 07:48 AM
Everything I've read says great rim except for the anodizing wearing off brake track ruins the appearance.

If that's the case, can't the track been cleaned?

Suggestions for similar style/shape/quality rims?

adrien
11-21-2016, 07:53 AM
Not sure I'd agree that it "ruins the appearance."

They come anodized everywhere, including the brake track. Which, over the space of a few hundred miles, wears off the anodizing to reveal a silver finish...like every other aluminum wheel with rim brakes I've ever seen.

They are nice rims, solid enough, reliable. The uno can vary a little. I have a friend who had a replacement wheel sent (because of a car strike -- not the wheel's fault) and it is a slightly different color from the original. But those are grey, and most people go for the black.

I have two sets -- grey on a road bike for gravel tires, and polished on the fixed gear. No issues at all.

Lewis Moon
11-21-2016, 07:57 AM
They're rims. You apply brakes to said rims. The brake track wears. You get great workouts and rides.

I'm kind of a form follows function guy. These are great rims and I've had several pair and have never been disappointed.

steelbikerider
11-21-2016, 08:00 AM
A good rim. It is easy to build up and true and stays that way. When the ano wears off, it looks like every other rim with machined brake tracks.

Tony T
11-21-2016, 08:14 AM
Use disc brakes :)
But seriously, the back anodizing will wear off, (very quickly when riding in the rain). It will look bad until all the of brake track anodizing wears off, then it will look like any other silver brake track rim.

Great rim (they should have a silver brake track option)

Luwabra
11-21-2016, 08:24 AM
It's good. I have a beater set w 32/32 105 hubs. Stays true over 1000 miles of ia gravel. Successful "ghetto tubeless" conversion. I'd definitely get another set.

Tony T
11-21-2016, 08:26 AM
… I have a friend who had a replacement wheel sent (because of a car strike -- not the wheel's fault) and it is a slightly different color from the original. But those are grey, and most people go for the black.

H Plus Son used to have a 'hard ano" that was grey. The discontinued the hard ano, and produce a grey now instead (may be the reason for the different color you mentioned)

false_Aest
11-21-2016, 09:20 AM

In order of awesomeness:

Boyd Altamont
Pacenti SL23 or SL25
Velocity A23

Also:
The best way to keep your rims black is to not brake.
The best way to clean the ano off your rims is to brake.

Word

marciero
11-21-2016, 10:28 AM
I have another set, the TB-14, and suspect that the anodizing negatively affects braking performance until completely worn through. Not sure though. Has anyone experienced similar? In fact I am getting silver polished Archetypes; one to build as 36 spoke dyno front for tandem.

Redbasso2
11-21-2016, 11:18 AM
I have 2 sets of these rims and I agree that the braking actually improves after the anodizing layer wears off.
Less money than a HED rim, same width and durability.

dem
11-21-2016, 11:24 AM
I have a set of H+Son plus on my commuter/rain bike. Within 50 miles I took them on a single rain ride, and the brake tracks were instantly "machined" to a uniform, grippy silver.

I can discern no difference in braking quality between these rims and the A23s on another bike.

adamhell
11-21-2016, 12:50 PM
i have the high polish archetypes, and i really like the way they look and ride. I have a23s as well, and I'd say the archetypes are a step above them, with regard to ride quality and finish.
http://i64.photobucket.com/albums/h184/adamleibow/FB8AB273-C789-435E-A5C5-E8A4721EC11A_zpss7wlvosy.jpg

oldpotatoe
11-21-2016, 01:30 PM
Everything I've read says great rim except for the anodizing wearing off brake track ruins the appearance.

If that's the case, can't the track been cleaned?

DT440(OC rear)
VelocityA23(OC rear)
DT460

stephenmarklay
11-21-2016, 01:38 PM
DT440(OC rear)
VelocityA23(OC rear)
DT460

Have you built up the new RR441?

Lewis Moon
11-21-2016, 01:46 PM
I've had really good luck with the Kinlin XC-279s. These are now my go-to, everyday rims. A hair on the heavy side (490g) otherwise very nice.

wallymann
11-21-2016, 01:53 PM
anodizing wearing off brake track ruins the appearance.

for cyclist of a certain age, that was the norm....and i like the look of well-worn brake tracks...it's a badge of honor, showing many miles ridden!

Clancy
11-21-2016, 04:42 PM
Outstanding feedback, very much appreciated.

Do love this forum. Pretty invaluable, as demonstrated.