PDA

View Full Version : Bikes you love: You do the buying, NYTimes does the rationalizing

fuzzalow
11-20-2016, 06:59 AM
No mansplainin' neccesary. No forethought required. Apply liberally when needed to soothe significant others.

Article/reprint from The New York Times on The Financial Benefits of Buying What You Love (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/22/your-money/the-financial-benefits-of-buying-what-you-love.html?contentCollection=smarter-living&hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&clickSource=story-heading&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0)

Recounts the author's purchase of a Moots and the financial wisdom in doing so. Not that much new here for the conniving minds ingratiated in a continual process of n+1 but useful & convenient as supporting testimony from a valid source.

soulspinner
11-20-2016, 07:10 AM
What he says is true............

572cv
11-20-2016, 07:55 AM
Seems to be the case with the new Eriksen...wow.

I didn't need the justification, but it might help convince a pal to take action.

Schmed
11-20-2016, 08:23 AM
Lucky for me (and my bank account, kids' college fund, our retirement fund), I'm not often swayed by other people's opinions....

(plus, I called Moots, but nobody answered this morning) :D

eddief
11-20-2016, 08:29 AM
so the philosophy in that article does not hold up for those with another point of view. Let me send you my list of 37 bikes in 16 years. If you buy a Moots that does not fit 32mm tires...and then try one that does, that Moots will be on the block at some point. Just said goodbye to the Roubaix I "loved" for quite some time.

n+1 = much more fun!

OtayBW
11-20-2016, 08:43 AM
so the philosophy in that article does not hold up for those with another point of view.Tautology: a formula that is true in every possible interpretation. :rolleyes:

fuzzalow
11-20-2016, 09:16 AM
Tautology: a formula that is true in every possible interpretation. :rolleyes:

Hey, throttle that back a little, would ya? Was that really neccesary? We're just talkin' here.

Why did I hafta chime up?
Because I started this thread
I didn't start it so people could dig on each other
It takes vey little wit to make an impolite comment about a casual remark
It takes very little wit to joke where the point of the joke is to make someone else the butt of the joke

C'mon, guy as smart as you I'd have expected better than that.

OtayBW
11-20-2016, 09:28 AM
Hey, throttle that back a little, would ya? Was that really neccesary? We're just talkin' here.

Why did I hafta chime up?
Because I started this thread
I didn't start it so people could dig on each other
It takes vey little wit to make an impolite comment about a casual remark
It takes very little wit to joke where the point of the joke is to make someone else the butt of the joke

C'mon, guy as smart as you I'd have expected better than that.
Oh relax. It was intended to be a light-hearted comment. No need to be critical on everything, eh? :beer:

fuzzalow
11-20-2016, 09:40 AM
Oh relax. It was intended to be a light-hearted comment. No need to be critical on everything, eh? :beer:

Well, I appreciate the irony in your statement.

Look, we're all comrades here. I'm not being critical but I am unkind towards ad hominem. There is a fine line between clever and cruel and the arbitrator between those boundaries is wit.

I'm not being sanctimonious in my own thread but I do feel responsible to moderate the tone in the threads I start. You catch me being a jerk in anything I post in any thread then I invite you to call me on it.

You and I are not arguing, we're just talkin'. Peace.

AngryScientist
11-20-2016, 09:42 AM
"buy the best and you only cry once" :D

eddief
11-20-2016, 09:46 AM
mood swings.

jh_on_the_cape
11-20-2016, 10:04 AM
"buy the best and you only cry once" :D

If you pay cash and do not finance.

huck*this
11-20-2016, 10:09 AM
FACT! Great article. I am living proof.

Tickdoc
11-20-2016, 10:13 AM
Nice article, and I agree, but am different. I much prefer to buy what someone else bought, and for whatever reason, didn't love.

I'm a cheapskate. Car, house, bikes, even clothes.

I've only bought two bikes in my life off the showroom floor (for myself) and one of those was at a significant end of model year clearance price.

For me, the thrill of the hunt and the score at a good price soothes the sting.

For example, my three favorite rides cost less than this guys one bike. I could live a good long riding life enjoying two of the three as my "only" bike, but the third adds a vintage flair that fills any void left by the other two.

To each his own.

Mzilliox
11-20-2016, 10:29 AM
Nice article, and I agree, but am different. I much prefer to buy what someone else bought, and for whatever reason, didn't love.

I'm a cheapskate. Car, house, bikes, even clothes.

I've only bought two bikes in my life off the showroom floor (for myself) and one of those was at a significant end of model year clearance price.

For me, the thrill of the hunt and the score at a good price soothes the sting.

For example, my three favorite rides cost less than this guys one bike. I could live a good long riding life enjoying two of the three as my "only" bike, but the third adds a vintage flair that fills any void left by the other two.

To each his own.

im just like you, but one day i kinda want to do the full custom caviar experience.

mhespenheide
11-20-2016, 12:12 PM
im just like you, but one day i kinda want to do the full custom caviar experience.

Thirding here. My current #1 is a LeMond titanium that, blessedly, fits almost like it was made for me. I've met Tim Neenan (of Lighthouse Cycles, etc.) while riding on the roads out here and he commented in conversation that it looked like it fit me really well. So there's probably not a need to go custom. Damned if it doesn't pull at me, though.

At least you've got a number of awesome builders in your neighborhood if you decide to go custom!

mcteague
11-20-2016, 12:23 PM
I remember an ad, from many years ago that was hawking an audio amp. It said "even if you can't afford the best of everything, you can afford the best of something". Words to live, and shop, by!

Tim

fuzzalow
11-21-2016, 09:24 AM
Somebody lobbed a PM at me, criticizing me for being, I'm paraphrasing, a arrogant ass because I got all righteous, on a high horse, in this thread.

It made me feel a little defensive even though I know full well that I can come across as "that guy" when I have to make a choice as to whether to be "that guy" before I click the Submit Reply button and post. And, sometimes reluctantly, I do what I think is right because I dislike disrespecting myself more than I fear the consequences of being "that guy" in a bike forum where I hang out.

This modern, social media world is awash in negativity. Some of it even bleeds through to this forum, how could it not because nobody is immune to it. Unless an effort & choice is made not to default to the easy seduction of negativity.

I'm not trying to change anybody because it is not my job or concern to worry & care about somebody else. But I will not give in for myself to make throwing people under the bus as a normal way of how I think and operate. (Reminded me of the TV series "Stranger Things" in how the social world in middle school and high school is portrayed.) Many people respond like I'm preaching at them to change but really and truly about them personally I don't GAS. It's isn't and wasn't ever about them. It however was always about us. The big picture "Us".

Look what we went through in this last election. I don't wanna live like this. Colbert tries to snap us outta this: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yXhFGO8R7aU

Thank you for your time if you read this far.

Tickdoc
11-21-2016, 09:49 AM
Wait a minute, are we still talking about bikes here?

I went back through the previous posts and just now realized this thread drifted to a hot button issue.:fight:

I take all of this with a lighthearted approach. I have no useful knowledge to add to any of the discussions here, just a love for bikes.

Opinions are like....well, they vary. Mine are not like yours, and I am fine with that. It would be boring if we were all the same, no? Same if all our bikes were the same.

Can't we all just get along?:beer: