PDA

View Full Version : Bonking...

Ti Designs
11-20-2016, 12:33 AM
My last few long rides have ended in me staggering home on my bike, spending the last 30 minutes taking a mental inventory of the food in my fridge, and letting old ladies on 3-speed pass me. Anybody who's been riding long enough has a bonking story, so let's have 'em!

Here's my best: I went on a long winter ride on my fixed gear and started coming apart about 20 miles from home. There are two ways you really don't want to bonk, one of them is in the boxing ring, the other is riding a fixed gear - in both cases, it's gonna hurt. The last few miles were hell, but as I got down the other side of the hill in Belmont I was feeling relief 'cause home was just a few blocks away. Well, it was before I moved a few months before that. It seems autopilot took me to my old apartment. I was a wreck, I could just about stand up under my own power. To the new people living there I was the guy who refinished the woodwork, so they took me in, fed me, and then drove me home.

oldpotatoe
11-20-2016, 05:32 AM
My last few long rides have ended in me staggering home on my bike, spending the last 30 minutes taking a mental inventory of the food in my fridge, and letting old ladies on 3-speed pass me. Anybody who's been riding long enough has a bonking story, so let's have 'em!

Here's my best: I went on a long winter ride on my fixed gear and started coming apart about 20 miles from home. There are two ways you really don't want to bonk, one of them is in the boxing ring, the other is riding a fixed gear - in both cases, it's gonna hurt. The last few miles were hell, but as I got down the other side of the hill in Belmont I was feeling relief 'cause home was just a few blocks away. Well, it was before I moved a few months before that. It seems autopilot took me to my old apartment. I was a wreck, I could just about stand up under my own power. To the new people living there I was the guy who refinished the woodwork, so they took me in, fed me, and then drove me home.

Rode a metric 'disease' ride with a guy who I worked with. He bonked so hard at about 10 miles to go, he found and old mattress on the side of the road, laid down and took a wee nap..

TINS..name of Rob

Cicli
11-20-2016, 05:43 AM
I had that happen one time but it was about 20 degrees out. I was shot out about 10 miles from home on a river trail. Stopped to rest and got cold and started to freeze. I made the call of shame to the wife. Even that wait sucked. Totally exhausted and freezing. Sort of scary.

weisan
11-20-2016, 06:18 AM
I was 16 or 17. Did my first and also last race. Thought I was invincible, didn't bring any food, had one water bottle. Rode the first 50 miles in the mid pack among some seasoned riders with their Colnagos and Tommasinis. They kept looking at me, my taiwan fuji 30 pounder, one water bottle...temperature was typical September month in Singapore around the 90s, I think it might have drizzled in the early part of the race, so cool off a bit, had ran out of water 20 miles ago and my lips and mouth both dry as heck, funny thing is we rode by my old house and that's why I started to cramp real bad, both thighs were locked up completely and doing a pulsating dance, didn't want to give up, basically pedal until I couldn't pedal anymore and the bike coasted to a stop in front of a bus stop. Sat on the bench dunno for how long, the pain from the cramps were excruciating, finally Went to the nearly coffee shop to top up my water bottle, can't remember if I picked up any food, probably not bcoz' I was young and dumb, decided to make my way home, figured out the shortest route, still another 20 miles to go, ran out of water again about 2 or 3 miles away, decided to tough it out, didn't want to stop to get water, finally got home, all drained and fully done, took several days to fully recover from that ordeal.

ripvanrando
11-20-2016, 06:57 AM
August 17th, 2015 at 2 am somewhere between Fougeres and Tintineac in France and around something like 200 miles into a 768 mile ride. No mini-marts in France of course and I guess I beat the drop bag service to Villaines so no food just water for me. The beauty of having been fat adapted was the high level of ketones but of course power levels drop and the 40F temperatures seemed cold riding with knee and arm warmers with gillet. I mostly remember the cold and violent shivering when descending for many hours on end. The body does not seem to keep warm very well burning just fats. Dawn at Loudeac and a gigantic bowl of hot chocolate never tasted so good. Gourged myself for 30+ minutes. A new lease on life for the hills and the risen sun. Life was good once again for the next 400 miles or so.

I started to run out of gas later in the ride and saw some incredible things. T-Rexes guarding the entrance to the forest. Giant pex dispensers galloping across the horizon. 4 foot diameter platters of salad nicoise lining both sides of the road. Imaginary wheel sucking riders behind me who refused to take a pull. Lions. Holes in the pavement right down to Dantes Gates of hell. It got interesting from there until the finish.

jasonification
11-20-2016, 12:34 PM
I was 16 or 17. Did my first and also last race. Thought I was invincible, didn't bring any food, had one water bottle. Rode the first 50 miles in the mid pack among some seasoned riders with their Colnagos and Tommasinis. They kept looking at me, my taiwan fuji 30 pounder, one water bottle...temperature was typical September month in Singapore around the 90s, I think it might have drizzled in the early part of the race, so cool off a bit, had ran out of water 20 miles ago and my lips and mouth both dry as heck, funny thing is we rode by my old house and that's why I started to cramp real bad, both thighs were locked up completely and doing a pulsating dance, didn't want to give up, basically pedal until I couldn't pedal anymore and the bike coasted to a stop in front of a bus stop. Sat on the bench dunno for how long, the pain from the cramps were excruciating, finally Went to the nearly coffee shop to top up my water bottle, can't remember if I picked up any food, probably not bcoz' I was young and dumb, decided to make my way home, figured out the shortest route, still another 20 miles to go, ran out of water again about 2 or 3 miles away, decided to tough it out, didn't want to stop to get water, finally got home, all drained and fully done, took several days to fully recover from that ordeal.
Weisan, are you from Singapore? I spent the first 17 years of my life there!

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

mgm777
11-20-2016, 12:54 PM
Epic Bonk #1
Riding with my friend in OC, CA -- rushed at ride start, didn't eat a proper breakfast...made all the classic mistakes. About 65 miles into the ride, we stopped at a coffee shop on PCH in Laguna Beach. I was shelled. I got off my bike and walked into the shop, proceeded to the counter, and promptly ordered a dragon roll. The guy behind the counter cocked his head and said sir, this is a coffee shop, not a sushi shop. It took me a few moments to realize I wasn't at a sushi place. I had my brain and stomach set on eating sushi. My riding buddy was laughing hysterically.

Epic Bonk #2
I was riding in North Dakota by myself. Again, made the classic mistakes and didn't eat enough food, bring enough ride food, nor have enough water on the bike. About 50 miles into a 70 mile ride, battling against a strong head wind, on a hot summer day, I was cooked. The last couple of miles or so, I was riding death-march style. I genuinely feared I was going to pass out. Was simply fantasizing about eating a banana. Was having a hard time staying conscious. On the long, lonely desolate road, I found a lone farm house. I pulled off the road, road up up to the farm house, dismounted and proceeded to lie down on the front yard and fell asleep. Not sure how long I was out for, but the homeowner eventually woke me up and asked if needed help. I asked for some water, a banana, and a phone. I called a friend for a ride back into town. Bought many beers that night for my friend.

CDM
11-20-2016, 12:58 PM
What are you training for? Riding from demons or something?

bicycletricycle
11-20-2016, 01:00 PM
if you aren't bonking you aren't trying hard enough.

znfdl
11-20-2016, 01:08 PM
I was 20 hours into a RAAM qualifier having completed 404 out of 600 miles. That Wisconsin corn field looked comfortable and ended up taking an hour long nap. After my nap, I struggled back to the start / finish line and quickly took of my racing number off and started to have 1st, 2nd and 3rd breakfast.

weisan
11-20-2016, 01:38 PM
Weisan, are you from Singapore? I spent the first 17 years of my life there!

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

Yes, I grew up there, came to the States when I was 26, been here ever since, that was 20 years old.

charliedid
11-20-2016, 01:43 PM
I'm with MGM777 and ZFDL the falling asleep part is the best. I've been known to sleep for an hour or so at lunch on really long rides, when only meaning to close my eyes for 15 min.

The best bonk (one of them anyway) was after riding 90 miles (really really lost) mid summer on what was supposed to be a 40 miler. Not sure what happened because I didn't run out of water and basically had enough food but I was totally cooked. Anyway at about mile 75 I had to stop and stumbled into a liquor/quick stop store and bought two microwave cheeseburgers and two Payday candy bars. I sat outside on a bench on the side of the building and inhaled the "food." I preceded to fall asleep with my hand on the top tube of my bike. I woke up thinking someone was stealing my bike but quickly realized it had fallen over and the guy stealing my bike was simply helping me out by picking it up for me. He asked if I was okay and if I needed a ride. I said thanks but I'll be able to make it home. Did I mention it was sunny when I fell asleep? It was almost dark when my bike fell over and woke me up. :-)

93legendti
11-20-2016, 01:50 PM
I once bonked going up the last climb of a week long Colorado trip. The valley was about 85 degrees and it started to sleet halfway up the climb. I stopped and put on my gloves, headband, knee and arm warmers and jacket and ate everything in my pockets. Somehow I was able to get going again within 10 minutes and feel somewhat normal again as I warmed up. It was a very strange and wild energy swing.I went from pedaling backwards to being able to put down some power. Hard to believe it was a pure bonk, but I remember when the power turned off and it was brutal.

berserk87
11-20-2016, 02:10 PM
Rode a metric 'disease' ride with a guy who I worked with. He bonked so hard at about 10 miles to go, he found and old mattress on the side of the road, laid down and took a wee nap..

TINS..name of Rob

OK - that old mattress story is classic and kinda gross. I am thinking of an old urine-stained thing that could house a colony of crabs.

I don't have any great bonk stories. I had a severe one a couple of years back. Did not eat in the morning before a ride that I thought would be an easier hour and a half. I did not take any food, and it was hot, too.

I screwed that up, underestimating the ride and the strength of the group. Turned into a hard 3.5 hours. I bonked so hard that I could not form sentences. I could hear what people were saying but could not verbalize responses that were coherent. It sucked. Had to get a ride home from a buddy who was on the ride, about 7 miles from home.

Joxster
11-20-2016, 02:11 PM
I've bonked more times than I care to remember, we used to do bonk training. Eight hour ride at a heart rate of 170, for me that's just between lvl 2 & 3. We were allowed 2 bottles of water for the ride, you rode till you cracked and then you continued at the same hr and pace. You can't bonk three times before the darkness sets in and the tunnel vision begins, there been many a time that I've looked at roadkill..............

RFC
11-20-2016, 02:13 PM
Like many here, my two most severe bonks were the result of not eating.

1) Was on a 110 mile / 10 day back backing trip at the Philmont Boy Scout Ranch in New Mexico. The supplies we were issued were largely processed starches (for good reason). Third day out, I was so sick of the diet that I passed on breakfast in order to "clean myself out." I was fine for the three hour hike to the base of the mountain. Half way up the mountain, I bonked hard. I could barely move one foot in front of the other, and I was hyperventilating and sweating profusely (I'm guessing I was going into Ketosis). Some to the other hikers thought that I was having a heart attack. Didn't skip anymore breakfasts on that trip.

2) Skipped lunch then right after work got in a 40 mile ride. Home to clean up and, without dinner, I was on my way to an evening political event. By the time I got there, I was suffering the same symptoms as above and just sat in my car hoping it would pass. Fortunately, a friend passed by and came back with a Coke. 15 minutes later I was ragged but substantially recovered.

I've learned my lesson about exercise and eating.

berserk87
11-20-2016, 02:24 PM
I've bonked more times than I care to remember, we used to do bonk training. Eight hour ride at a heart rate of 170, for me that's just between lvl 2 & 3. We were allowed 2 bottles of water for the ride, you rode till you cracked and then you continued at the same hr and pace. You can't bonk three times before the darkness sets in and the tunnel vision begins, there been many a time that I've looked at roadkill..............

How would you manage multiple bonks on one ride? My understanding of the bonk is that once you cross the threshold, you are kinda hosed until your body can refuel.

After I have bonked I could resume the same pace, for about a minute with great difficulty. Then it would be lights-out.

Wayne77
11-20-2016, 03:10 PM
Bonking is bad.

Bonking when it's really cold is a miserable affair that sucks the soul right out of you.

For me at least a true bonk is not something you can recover from mid-ride. Unless you find a place mid ride to eat a full meal, shower, sleep for 4 hours, watch a movie, then get a full body massage, don a fresh set of bibs, and top it off with a donut before continuing the ride. If you can recover mid ride without doing that...it ain't a real bonk. Another trademark of a true bonk is that it makes you loathe even looking at your bike. Or you're digging deep and feeling heroic at the thought that you're miraculously still moving forward, comparing your experience with what your Grandpa must have felt on the Bataan Death march, only to look over and there's a little girl with a quizzical look on her face as she's riding past you on her my little pony bike.

ripvanrando
11-20-2016, 03:18 PM
Bonking is bad.

Bonking when it's really cold is a miserable affair that sucks the soul right out of you.

For me at least a true bonk is not something you can recover from mid-ride. Unless you find a place mid ride to eat a full meal, shower, sleep for 4 hours, watch a movie, then get a full body massage, don a fresh set of bibs, and top it off with a donut before continuing the ride. If you can recover mid ride without doing that...it ain't a real bonk. Another trademark of a true bonk is that it makes you loathe even looking at your bike. Or you're digging deep and feeling heroic at the thought that you're miraculously still moving forward, comparing your experience with what your Grandpa must have felt on the Bataan Death march, only to look over and there's a little girl with a quizzical look on her face as she's riding past you on her my little pony bike.

I disagree 100%

Recovering from a bonk is not easy.

Dead Man
11-20-2016, 03:39 PM
Off the top of my head, I think I've only ever "bonked," in the way described here, once in my cycling life. I hear cyclists talk about bonks or hitting-the-wall and to me it just always sounds like what I call "really tired," but who knows. I haven't been under double-digit body fat since the first half of my 20s and have theorized that maybe my lil spare tire is what gives me my famous endurance.... So maybe I really never have bonked, due to a reserve fuel cell?

But the time I am remembering was training for a double century in triple digit weather. My route that day was supposed to be like 130 miles and 4000-5000? ish feet of climbing, with strategic water stops every 30-50 miles (every town along the route). It got up to 103F that day, and though I had been training hard and training in the heat for several weeks, by mile 70 or 80 or so, I just felt awful. I had food and I had water and I had electrolyte... But my stomach just stopped digesting intake. I got thirstier and more depleted but my stomach was full and I couldn't take any more in. My legs and sides started cramping and on the backside of the range I had to get over to get back to my side.. Should have been two major climbs from home, but when I finally limped myself up over the col of the range and my last scheduled climb as really optional, I bailed and just continued down the highway into the valley. I felt absolutely horrid, but I was at least going to break XXX miles (I don't remember now) for the day, so I limped myself around a 10-mile flat loop before riding the last 8 miles up the highway to home, where I drew myself a lukewarm bath and just breathed and listened to my own heart beat racing for like an hour. It was awful, but I COULD have kept going if I'd really needed to. I would have been in a world of hurt, wanted to die, but I probably was physically capable of another 20+ miles.

Might be a cyclists "bonk?" It was my worst day on a bike ever..

I've had some really hard days in the mountains, alpine climbing. I know other alpinists who have bonked in the mountains and ended up in bad situations, with running out of daylight or encountering the trailing edge of the weather window. The descriptions people have given are of an absolute inability to continue- cannot lift a leg to put it in front of the other. Depletion. Exhaustion. We-are-not-going-any-further. I've had some tremendously hard days, where I'm just moving along like a zombie, almost in some kind of out-of-body experience where you're only semi aware of the pain and fatigue your body is in, enduring until it's all over, but I've never experienced that awful thing described to me as a "bonk."

I have to wonder if you chaps are actually "bonking," or confusing that term with "reallyreally tired." :p

Wayne77
11-20-2016, 03:40 PM
I disagree 100%

Recovering from a bonk is not easy.

Yeah, I think that's what I just said...with a heavy dose of sarcasm...and the key words "for me at least". Also, by "recover" I mean continuing on in a state where you get some semblance of power back into your legs and you can get your HR back up to a reasonable level. It doesn't mean you literally can't continue though. I've done long races where I've bonked and still managed to finish the event in pathetic fashion hours after the main pack... On the other hand, I've done races, especially races with 8,000+ elevation, NOT bonked, yet very nearly NOT finished due to completely dead, sore, and/or cramping legs (which you can recover from) but that's not the same as bonking. Bonking is not a muscular or aerobic problem.

For me at least...

ripvanrando
11-20-2016, 03:49 PM
Yeah, I think that's what I just said...with a heavy dose of sarcasm...and the key words "for me at least". Also, by "recover" I mean continuing on in a state where you get some semblance of power back into your legs and you can get your HR back up to a reasonable level. It doesn't mean you literally can't continue though. I've done long races where I've bonked and still managed to finish the event in pathetic fashion hours after the main pack... On the other hand, I've done races, especially races with 8,000+ elevation, NOT bonked, yet very nearly NOT finished due to completely dead, sore, and/or cramping legs (which you can recover from) but that's not the same as bonking. Bonking is not a muscular or aerobic problem.

For me at least...

Sorry. I missed the sarcasm. Recover from a bonk requires stopping. It can take 20-60 minutes after eating and drinking before the brain normalizes. Not possible during a race but possible during a ride.

Wayne77
11-20-2016, 03:52 PM
Sorry. I missed the sarcasm. Recover from a bonk requires stopping. It can take 20-60 minutes after eating and drinking before the brain normalizes. Not possible during a race but possible during a ride.

Good point about the brain aspect. Bonking requires a good dose of mental recovery too.

bicycletricycle
11-20-2016, 04:00 PM
one time i bonked at it got cold and i shivered so bad i really thought i might not make it. it was crazy.

bonk + cold = terrible mess

Bonking is bad.

Joxster
11-20-2016, 05:28 PM
How would you manage multiple bonks on one ride? My understanding of the bonk is that once you cross the threshold, you are kinda hosed until your body can refuel.

After I have bonked I could resume the same pace, for about a minute with great difficulty. Then it would be lights-out.

When you bonk your body automatically tells your liver to start pushing out glycogen to help break down body fat. By the time you've hit the wall the third time your liver and pancreas are empty, this training also helps speed up the process of ATP to ADP. Don't knock it till you've tried it

Tandem Rider
11-20-2016, 05:51 PM
When you bonk your body automatically tells your liver to start pushing out glycogen to help break down body fat. By the time you've hit the wall the third time your liver and pancreas are empty, this training also helps speed up the process of ATP to ADP. Don't knock it till you've tried it

Thanks for explaining why I/we had to ride for hours (seemed like days) with a cup of coffee for breakfast and a couple bottles of water. Honestly, I never understood why until now, I just assumed it was to get lean.

jasonification
11-20-2016, 06:04 PM
I remember soon after I started riding, my brother took me on a 4th of July ride up GMR..said it was rolling hills. What he didn't say was the rolling meant different kinds of uphill, not so much that it was undulating between up and down. Needless to say both legs cramped multiple times. Given it was 4th of July, GMR was closed to vehicles, so noone could even pick me up. I remember considering sleeping on the side of the road till the next day. Thankfully my brother noticed my prolonged absence and rode back to find me chilling at the side of the road.

Mikej
11-20-2016, 06:34 PM
Just the usual sucking gu remains from used wrappers on the last lap of a 100 degree mountain bike race...oh and I almost drank piss from a disgaurded Gatorade bottle, I was so stoked to see a full bottle just laying there, luckily the flavor on the label was showing - Fruit punch...

mcfarton
11-20-2016, 07:31 PM
I have bonked from nutrition and hydration. Both times it got cold on a 90+ degree day. Both times were my fault. Both times I was lucky my wife let me keep my bike. If I do it again I am not sure what will happen.
Bonking is avoidable with common sense. The first time I bonked my wife wanted to take me to the hospital.
I started on a ride that was advertised as 16ish mph average. We rode the first 25 at a 19 average. I was naive and thought wow we are going to slow down to fix the average. I didn't drink enough and the pace didn't slow down. I made it for around 50 miles and then was dropped. I ended up lying down on the side of the road. By the time i got back to the car it was bad. During my drive home I blacked out. My wife was furious.
Now I drink so much on a ride that I can't go much more than 1-2 hours without a wc stop.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

stephenmarklay
11-20-2016, 07:36 PM
Once I hit the wall only a few miles from home. I had not been riding at all and went out for a “quick” 50 miles to get reacquainted. I guess I did not need quick and I got bad leg cramps after 40 miles. A few miles from home I was seeing stars and I had to stop and lay down. I was about 2-3 miles from home but I could not move.

I was just off of the side of the road laying in a ditch. I looked up and god (or some higher power) had noticed my predicament. I was laying under a plum tree in full of ripe fruit. I must have eaten 10 plums. Best plums of my life. After 10 or 15 minutes it had passed and I strolled home.

I have not had many days like that and that is a good thing.

Ti Designs
11-20-2016, 09:34 PM
For me at least a true bonk is not something you can recover from mid-ride. Unless you find a place mid ride to eat a full meal, shower, sleep for 4 hours, watch a movie, then get a full body massage, don a fresh set of bibs, and top it off with a donut before continuing the ride. If you can recover mid ride without doing that...it ain't a real bonk.

My problem has always be that I start to run low 20 miles from home, but not thinking clearly, I always think I can make it. As for the recovery, it's not pretty. When I bonk the muscles used just to hold my position on the bike get tired, I slump. The next day I still haven't recovered from it, I move in slow motion and walking up stairs sends my heart to zone 5. I tend not to ride the next day as I often can't keep a high enough speed to balance the bike.

John H.
11-20-2016, 10:02 PM
My most memorable bonk was 27 years ago- shortly after I moved to the SF Bay Area.
I was still fairly new to riding and new to riding in an area that had lots of hills. My fitness was also low because I had been working a lot at a new job.
I rode from San Rafael out to the Pt Reyes lighthouse- about an 80 mile ride with rolling hills most of the way in both directions.
I was fine on the way out- ate a Powerbar at halfway.
On the way home I started to unravel- a pretty warm day, not enough food, not enough miles in my legs, and too many hills.
About 15 miles from home I was riding on a road with a serious redwood grove- lots of tree cover.
I saw this big wooden statue of a bear and I decided to take a nap at his feet.
I woke up an hour later- started to ride home- then I saw Jerry Garcia whiz by on a scooter.

The bear is still there today- and seeing it always reminds me of this bonk.

stephenmarklay
11-20-2016, 10:09 PM
My problem has always be that I start to run low 20 miles from home, but not thinking clearly, I always think I can make it. As for the recovery, it's not pretty. When I bonk the muscles used just to hold my position on the bike get tired, I slump. The next day I still haven't recovered from it, I move in slow motion and walking up stairs sends my heart to zone 5. I tend not to ride the next day as I often can't keep a high enough speed to balance the bike.

I hate those zone 5 stair accents. Been there.

Ti Designs
11-21-2016, 05:21 AM
I was 20 hours into a RAAM qualifier having completed 404 out of 600 miles...

If you talk to people who do or did RAAM, bonking is a little different. It's more like when paranoia sets in. I was talking to a group of guys who all did RAAM, one of them described how he thought his crew was out to get him, all the others agreed and described how they spent a week on the bike trying to outrun an RV full of killers.

The call of shame is another thing many of us have in common. I made that call once a year back when I was racing as a junior. I would go for an early season long ride at a mid season pace, at some point my legs would just stop turning, then I would lose my own thermal regulation. With my last bit of energy I would find a phone booth (remember those?) and call my father. Waiting seemed like forever, my eyes kept closing and I must have been shaking like a bowl of jello...

Just being tired and being able to eat huge amounts of food is another thing all together. I once got lost (by once I mean my entire cycling career) and instead of finding my way home, I found myself in Vermont. I needed some place to sleep for the night, so I found an ATM which was heated. I had been on my bike for probably 10 hours, so I woke up hungry. I got about a block away from the bank when I saw the sign for an all-you-can-eat pancake breakfast at the fire house. Best $3 I spent in my life. I had never known eating to be a spectator sport before that day, but by the time I was done I had a fan club. This was back when I was really thin, so one woman asked me "where does it all go?"

eippo1
11-21-2016, 10:34 AM
Story 1:
I was out for about 6 weeks some shoulder recovery, but was invited on an 80 miler with some hammerheads and couldn't pass it up even though I was 5 weeks into my rest. At mile 60, I started to get tunnel vision so said to the guys that we had to stop at the next gas station for some rocket fuel.

Stopped and said I'd watch the bikes and sat on the curb. They came out about 2 minutes later and I was still sitting on the curb, but had completely slumped over with my torso and head resting on the curb and my feet still on the ground. Oh and I was drooling and snoring.

Glad it was still the early days of cell phones or else there would have been plenty of pics. But they got me up and once I had some twinkies and rocket fuel (Gatorade or Powerade + Coke or Pepsi), I was ready to go for the last 20 miles.

Story 2:
Training weekend in the White Mountains involved an epic ride along the Kangamangus and of course we were staying at Waterville Vally, which means coming back is about 10 miles of climbing. We basically raced for most of the ride and were pacelining on the way back. At 2 miles into the climb, I had my turn at the front and completely popped and went from a decent pace to barely turning circles.

A friend dropped back and said something that was kind of an epiphany. I had my caffeine and it was just kicking in so most of my bonk at that point was pain and some cramping. What he reminded me of was the fact that it would still hurt no matter my speed, but that it would be over sooner if I could crank out some watts. Realizing he was right, I got over it and took my turn at the front and rode everyone off my wheel since we were still racing :p.

tiretrax
11-21-2016, 12:30 PM
I am bonking right now.

My last bonk was this summer while acclimating before Ride the Rockies. I was staying in Leadville and drove down to and rode out of Buena Vista to the summit of Cottonwood Pass. Buena Vista was much warmer than Leadville, and the first 10 miles out of Buena Vista were rollers and gentle climbs in the sun. By the time the road ramped up, I was metering bottle number 2 for as long as I could. Going from 8,000' to 12,000'+ in low humidity, I realized my water demand would be high. I had to risk Giardia by refilling from a stream at mile 17. At mile 18, I resorted to eating snow. I somehow made it to the top under my own power, took a bunch of pictures, yodeled to some skinny dudes crushing it on their way to the top, and let gravity take its course as I flew down the mountain. I rode straight to a supermarket and engulfed half a roasted chicken, a bagel, some fruit, and a few liters of water. The food tasted so wonderful.

batman1425
11-21-2016, 01:29 PM
Worst one was about 5 years ago. Went out on a "tempo" ride with friend (he was a strong cat2 hunting upgrade points at the time, I was an up and coming cat4). The plan was for around 2 hours and 3000ish feet of climbing, which is what I prepped for food and water wise. 2.5 hours and 3500ft of climbing at a "spirited" cat2 esq pace and we were still 15 miles and another 2000ft of elevation away from home. Cat2 wants to roll a few more hills before heading back. I see the writing on the wall, pull the rip cord and start home, already out of food, and down to 1/4 of one bottle. Thank god it was cool out. Didn't have any cash or cards.

30 minutes and 5 miles later, I called home to tell my wife what was up and that I would be late. We're now starting hour 4 for those who are counting. She offered to come get me, but I insisted I could get home. It took me a full hour to do the remaining 10 miles home during which I seriously contemplated doing each of the following:

1. Asking a stranger for money to buy food.

2. Asking a stranger with food if I could have some.

3. Eating something out of a garbage can.

I got as close as stopping in a fast food parking lot for a few minutes looking for someone that I thought would be sympathetic. I regained some sense of clear thinking before embarrassing myself and continued the slog back. Took everything I had just to keep the pedals turning.

When I finally got home, I stumbled inside pulled a chair in front of the pantry and sat there, kit, helmet, and shoes still on, while I proceeded to eat anything even resembling food for the next 20 min. I then showered, put on my compression socks and fell asleep. Hardest 4 hours on the bike of my cycling life.

Bob Ross
11-21-2016, 02:28 PM
if you aren't bonking you aren't trying hard enough.

I would argue that if you are bonking you're not training smart enough.

AngryScientist
11-21-2016, 02:37 PM
oh, i have some good bonk stories.

one of the worst was the "longest day" circa 2012 or 13. it's basically a 250 mile day from the highest point in NJ to Cape May, on the equinox or longest day of the year.

about 210 miles in, EVERYTHING went to pieces. i mean everything. first the water bottles ran dry. then the cramps settled in, bad. by mile 215, it was all over. i was down to 1/2 mile between having to stop and literally fall down, because once my muscles tightened up, they would cramp so bad i couldnt stand.

that was easily one of the worst days on a bike i have ever had. ouch.

tv_vt
11-21-2016, 02:44 PM
Remind me to show this thread to friends considering getting into cycling.

They'll probably be shopping for a few tennis racquets afterwards...;)

MattTuck
11-21-2016, 03:24 PM
Ok, so this isn't on the bike, but it was the worst time I've bonked, and it is worth it.

So, I was living in Boston at the time, and my friend and I hatch a plan to wake up early, drive about 2 hours north to the white mountains, rendevous with some of his friends and go for a moderate hike and then go get some local craft beer over burgers for dinner.

So, I dutifully (in my new car, less than 150 miles on it) pick up my friend at 6am. He's holding a black garbage bag. Why is he holding a black garbage bag? He had been out drinking up until a few hours before I picked him up, and was still nauseous. So, he had his own barf bag. 2 hours later, of me asking every 5 minutes whether he wanted me to pull over, we get to our destination. We meet his friends, and one of their families decides to come on the hike as well (mother, father, sisters, etc.) Oh, and my friend decide he is too sick to hike. So, it is just me and like 8 strangers going on this hike. Awesome.

So, we head off. I've had a bagel at like 6am, and have two granola bars with me for the hike. We get delayed with some errands on the way to the trailhead. So we don't actually get on trail until about 1pm, in mid-November. The hike should have been about 2 hours, maybe 2.5. But friend's friend's mother and sister are slowing us down, and about 3/4 of the way up the mountain, they decide to turn around, leaving the rest of us to summit and then catch them on the way down. 5 minutes after separation, we get a phone call. Friend's friend's mother has fallen and injured her knee. So we go down to assess situation. She can't walk, and we can't evac her on our own. We wait about 30 minutes, seeing if we can figure something out, or if her situation improves.

We end up calling Search and Rescue, they dispatch ambulance to the trail head, soon to be followed by search and rescue team. So, my friend's friend (the son of the injured woman) and I, head down the mountain to the trail-head, meet the ambulance crew (who are not in great shape) and begin bringing the litter (outdoor version of a stretcher) up the mountain. It's getting dark, like 4:30pm. I eat my granola bars, but am mostly running on fumes and adrenaline. We get the litter back up to his mom, just about the same time search and rescue team shows up. Thankfully, (I am an eagle scout, so tend to overpack) I had a couple head lamps that proved to be extremely helpful in descending with the litter in the dark. It took every ounce of energy and mental focus to descend and help with the litter and keep the members of the hiking party safe. Total, I had had 1 bagel, 2 granola bars and about 2 bottles of water since 6am. I had effectively climbed the mountain twice, once already fatigued and carrying the litter.

We get back to the trail head at like 8pm, the woman who was hurt goes to the hospital, and we all head back to my friend's friend's house. Mostly, we're all exhausted, both mentally and physically. My friend (the sick one) has been watching beevis and butthead episodes all day and is now ready to go out and do something. I was exhausted but went anyway, and ate a lot of food. It was a terrible feeling, coming down of the adrenaline high and being totally empty energy wise. I remember not even being able to sit up straight. Just hunched over my plate, eating. Even as others were trying to talk to me. I was just drained.

I have not hiked with that friend since then.

adub
11-21-2016, 04:13 PM
1. Asking a stranger for money to buy food.

2. Asking a stranger with food if I could have some.

3. Eating something out of a garbage can.

I got as close as stopping in a fast food parking lot for a few minutes looking for someone that I thought would be sympathetic. I regained some sense of clear thinking before embarrassing myself and continued the slog back. Took everything I had just to keep the pedals turning.

When I finally got home, I stumbled inside pulled a chair in front of the pantry and sat there, kit, helmet, and shoes still on, while I proceeded to eat anything even resembling food for the next 20 min. I then showered, put on my compression socks and fell asleep. Hardest 4 hours on the bike of my cycling life.

The above is what I equate with a bonk.

I've only had what I consider a "bonk" happen once, It was miserable, I had trouble linking words into a sentence.

ripvanrando
11-21-2016, 04:24 PM
I ate roadkill on the TransAm Bike Race 2016.

coelacant
11-21-2016, 04:35 PM
For me, the bonk sets in about 3-4 hrs depending how fast the group has been going or how much climbing we 've done.

Has anyone figured out what munchies works while rolling to ward it off, other than the awfully sweet gels, bars, etc. that tend to upset my stomach?
I'm still experimenting.

Tandem Rider
11-21-2016, 04:51 PM
For me, the bonk sets in about 3-4 hrs depending how fast the group has been going or how much climbing we 've done.

Has anyone figured out what munchies works while rolling to ward it off, other than the awfully sweet gels, bars, etc. that tend to upset my stomach?
I'm still experimenting.

If it's not too fast, tempo or a little slower, I like a small turkey and mild cheese (2 thin layers of meat and 1 thin layer of cheese) sammich, just enough yellow mustard and mayo to make it palatable, ww bread, cut into fourths. Eat regularly and before you are really hungry. I find that I can fish out a 1/4 and eat it between hills or pulls. YMMV, gotta 'speriment.

stephenmarklay
11-21-2016, 04:57 PM
oh, i have some good bonk stories.

one of the worst was the "longest day" circa 2012 or 13. it's basically a 250 mile day from the highest point in NJ to Cape May, on the equinox or longest day of the year.

about 210 miles in, EVERYTHING went to pieces. i mean everything. first the water bottles ran dry. then the cramps settled in, bad. by mile 215, it was all over. i was down to 1/2 mile between having to stop and literally fall down, because once my muscles tightened up, they would cramp so bad i couldnt stand.

that was easily one of the worst days on a bike i have ever had. ouch.

I had one of those days but it was only 135 mile day. I had not ridden at all that year and some buddies wanted me to do the Seattle to Portland (STP). We rode hard and I was baked. Nearing the end of the first day I had to stop due to cramps. I looked down and my legs and it was an electrical storm of cramping. My legs muscles were taking turns tightening, twitching and just plain spasms. All of them. It was unreal. They mellowed out and I finished the day.

The next day after a lot of beer and steak I felt great. The 75 miles give or take that second day was wonderful. I guess I got in shape in 1 day :)

rwsaunders
11-21-2016, 05:16 PM
Bonking is pain leaving the body.

stephenmarklay
11-21-2016, 05:38 PM
Bonking is pain leaving the body.

It is a bit like a Dementor’s kiss (Harry Potter.)

For those of you not in the Harry Potter know:

The Dementor's Kiss is the act of a Dementor sucking out a person's soul. It was sometimes used as a sentence for criminals by the Ministry of Magic, and is considered a fate worse than death.

CampyorBust
11-21-2016, 06:13 PM
http://www.memegenerator.eu/media/created/ee4d9u.jpg

charliedid
11-21-2016, 06:47 PM
I ate roadkill on the TransAm Bike Race 2016.

Taste like chicken?

ripvanrando
11-21-2016, 07:11 PM
I am waiting for someone to top Pez Dispensers galloping across the horizon.

Tony
11-21-2016, 07:55 PM
I have never bonked on my bike. I guess have always prepared for competitive or long rides, before, during and after.
However, even with preparation I did bonk on my kayak doing the the annual Gonzo paddle in the Bay Area. The idea is to visit as many islands in the San Francisco Bay as possible in one day. The route hits 14 islands and covers 37 miles and takes around 8 hours. The day is chosen to get as much assist from tidal currents as possible, but with all the detours (I took several extra, all with strong head winds) and head winds its not a free ride. By the time I made it back to Horseshoe Cove under the Golden Gate Bridge I was burnt out, cold and could hardly move my body. I didn't remember the last several miles. I don't remember how my boat got back on my car. I didn't drive home but pulled next to the Coast Guard station under the north tower and crashed in the back of my Element.

Peter P.
11-21-2016, 09:38 PM
Worst one...cycling life.

Those were THE BEST stories!

Tandem Rider
11-21-2016, 09:46 PM
I am waiting for someone to top Pez Dispensers galloping across the horizon.

I took a nap in a graveyard under a tree, couldn't turn another rev. Thought I was in the right place.

veloduffer
11-22-2016, 06:54 AM
I have only bonked once over a decade ago, and it was on a club ride when I was doing a recovery ride. I got about 10 miles out when I start sweating profusely and barely managing 10 mph. I turned around and weakly rode home. I think I may have embarrassed my sponsor wearing my team kit that day.

I was trying to figure out what went wrong when I realized that I didn't eat for 7 or 8 hours after the previous day's 75 mile hard ride. I probably depleted all my glycogen stores and never recovered.

I have several friends and teammates bonk. We end up taking turns pushing the poor soul home.

Cramping is another story. If it's humid, I'm always in danger of cramping. One time my legs seized when I was straddling my bike on the side of the road taking a nature break. I felt really embarrassed as my Willy is hanging out and I'm completely locked up. A couple of riders passed by and asked if I needed help.

I had to stay straddled for what seemed like an eternity as the only way to get off the bike was to fall down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luwabra
11-23-2016, 09:05 PM
first century of the year 2016. late spring single speed gravel route i made was 107 mi and 3 were asphalt. i had two 20oz water bottles and 2 small ones 16oz? I rode this ride to power. at least I thought. I never calibrated it and wanted to stay in the 200w zone for the 6ish hours. I absolutely DIED at mi 82 like anything that looked like an incline I was out of the saddle putting all my weight into the crank stopped once on a 1% roller just couldn't do it. contemplated calling my wife but SUFFERED my ass off home. Cramps, hot flashes, nausia, horrible. two days later I was riding with a couple buddies still hadn't calibrated it ... ahh it wouldn't calibrate thats what it was. So we were riding and my buds like "what the hell are you doing?" your absolutely killing me back here".. my power was off by like 50-65w avg. No wonder i died. do not ride long rides to power, at least not solely to power.. i just thought I felt like **** that day.. well it got worse. lol. fell asleep in my yard after falling over when reaching the driveway.