PDA

View Full Version : 1940's Oscar Egg on eBay - interesting & too cool

rodcad
11-19-2016, 07:43 PM
What a cool old bike. Probably not much interest here to buy, but thought it would be fun to look at and discuss......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40s-OSCAR-EGG-SUPER-CHAMPION-54ct-vintage-race-bike-unusual-details-and-story-/361832815875?hash=item543eea9d03:g:Ot8AAOSwj85YMFH 6

bikingshearer
11-19-2016, 08:22 PM
Hey, it's somebody's Eroica ride. :banana:

alancw3
11-20-2016, 03:58 AM
wow! that is really neat. interesting approached they took with the chain tensioner and chain changing system back then. those bike picts should be posted on bike rendezvous. thanks for sharing.

Cicli
11-20-2016, 05:20 AM
That Bike is killer.
Its neat to see how far we have advanced since then. Imagine Contador riding that on the tour and fumbeling around having to fix hix own flats.
Back when men were men. The good old days.

oldpotatoe
11-20-2016, 05:36 AM
That Bike is killer.
Its neat to see how far we have advanced since then. Imagine Contador riding that on the tour and fumbeling around having to fix hix own flats.
Back when men were men. The good old days.

BUT..has it really 'changed' that much? Double triangle frame, rider above crank..crank with chain to multi gears in the rear, pneumatic tires..hand brakes..even the bike that Wright made, the one in Air and Space museum, isn't that much different.

Cicli
11-20-2016, 05:45 AM
BUT..has it really 'changed' that much? Double triangle frame, rider above crank..crank with chain to multi gears in the rear, pneumatic tires..hand brakes..even the bike that Wright made, the one in Air and Space museum, isn't that much different.

I was really speaking from a marketing standpoint and the things you have to have to even get out the front door.
Carbon
11 speed
Tubeless
22 gears
Yadda, yadda yadda.

numbskull
11-20-2016, 06:25 AM
Very handsome bike

Love that the chain link uses screws

Interesting rear "dropout". I wonder what that's about.

Looks to be missing some sort of chain guard.

Given its unusual features, its provence, and its intact patina I'm a bit surprised the bike hasn't already sold for asking price (albeit I'm no expert about such things).

oldpotatoe
11-20-2016, 06:27 AM
Very handsome bike

Love that the chain link uses screws

Interesting rear "dropout". I wonder what that's about.

Looks to be missing some sort of chain guard.

Given its unusual features, its provence, and its intact patina I'm a bit surprised the bike hasn't already sold for asking price (albeit I'm no expert about such things).

Holy Moly..a 'through' axle...sorta.

Tandem Rider
11-20-2016, 08:19 AM
Holy Moly..a 'through' axle...sorta.

What's old is new again.
Nothing new under the sun.

And all that.. :cool: