PDA

View Full Version : Susanne Andersen struck by Qatari police car during Worlds

Veloo
11-19-2016, 06:02 PM
http://cyclingmagazine.ca/sections/news/norwegian-federation-accuse-qatari-policeman-deliberately-hitting-rider/

classtimesailer
11-19-2016, 06:20 PM
Why in the world are junior worlds in Qatar? Coaches are afraid to report the incident...? ***?

fiamme red
11-19-2016, 06:23 PM
Why does Qatar want to host cycling events? Judging from the lack of spectators at the Worlds, there's almost no interest in the sport there.

adub
11-19-2016, 07:27 PM
I guess she shoulda been wearing her burkini, or at a minimum leg and arm warmers.

unterhausen
11-19-2016, 08:20 PM
maybe things have changed since I was there in '90, but I saw at least one local woman in a fairly short skirt.

Dead Man
11-19-2016, 08:22 PM
The article I read that it's "not uncommon" for women deemed inappropraitely dressed to get "run down." And apparently there's not much of an investigation when it happens... like the police (who happen to be the ones doing the running-down, in this case) have some leeway in whether they even pursue a complaint.

GTFO of places like that, UCI. Plez.

ultraman6970
11-19-2016, 09:59 PM
This tells you that no matter how much money the country has, if......

(you completer the sentence which ever you want or like).

roguedog
11-19-2016, 10:12 PM
***. :confused:

1happygirl
11-20-2016, 05:58 AM
The UCI response was disappointing at best.
As a girl, these kinds of articles scare me.

Steve in SLO
11-20-2016, 10:07 AM
The UCI should get everybody out and then release a statement stating they will not go back. Why place athletes at risk when there are so many nice places to hold events?

Macadamia
11-20-2016, 10:47 AM
The UCI should get everybody out and then release a statement stating they will not go back. Why place athletes at risk when there are so many nice places to hold events?

money?
I'd always assumed there is some pay out to the people that make the decision of where to host, but is there any direct evidence for that?

oldpotatoe
11-21-2016, 05:46 AM
money?
I'd always assumed there is some pay out to the people that make the decision of where to host, but is there any direct evidence for that?

Of course it's money. Government pays the organizers/UCI(?) bunches of money to have a race there. The government can show how main stream and 'western' they are, nobody watches and goons like this cop wander around pushing his 18th century morals on unsuspecting women..probably not just one on a bike. I'd say screw the dough, get 'em out, don't come back.

fignon's barber
11-21-2016, 07:50 AM
Why does Qatar want to host cycling events? Judging from the lack of spectators at the Worlds, there's almost no interest in the sport there.

Qatar needed the Worlds to support their bid for the 2022 Football World Cup so they bribed the UCI officials and those officials took the money and sold out cycling. Qatar was proven to have bribed FIFA officials to get those 2022 WC as well.

verticaldoug
11-21-2016, 07:51 AM
Let's have a woman's race in countries that will arrest women who report rape for having extramarital sex. (DUBAI. look it up if you dont believe me)

and this is considered the most modern of the states.

54ny77
11-21-2016, 08:29 AM
sickening.

Louis
11-21-2016, 08:46 AM
Horrible, but they have money, so it must be OK.

marciero
11-21-2016, 10:33 AM
Qatar needed the Worlds to support their bid for the 2022 Football World Cup so they bribed the UCI officials and those officials took the money and sold out cycling. Qatar was proven to have bribed FIFA officials to get those 2022 WC as well.

As cynical as this sounds I suspect it about sums it up.

Mzilliox
11-21-2016, 10:37 AM
this world we live in is crazy. seriously.

goonster
11-21-2016, 10:52 AM
Qatar needed the Worlds to support their bid for the 2022 Football World Cup so they bribed the UCI officials and those officials took the money and sold out cycling.

Not to defend Qatar, but this doesn't hold up.

The World Cup was announced in 2010, the UCI Worlds were announced in 2012.

redir
11-21-2016, 12:51 PM
I guess it remains to be seen if this is just one of them 'bad apple' cops.

Otherwise if the UCI doesn't have the baws to back out of a country like that then the athletes should just say no!

Red Tornado
11-21-2016, 02:39 PM
IMHO the UCI is a complete failure of a governing organization, this is the latest example of that. The fact that they sell themselves out (was going to use a stronger term, but thought better of it) to the highest bidder with little or no regard for stuff like this is deplorable. Doing nothing to look out for the interests of the athletes who are the very ones giving the UCI folk a reason to come to work.

ntb1001
11-21-2016, 04:12 PM
Why in the world are junior worlds in Qatar? Coaches are afraid to report the incident...? ***?
Without sounding too Donald Trump like...what do they expect??
This place in the world is very different than here.
No spectators...dry, barren routes...usually too hot. I really don't understand the push to have events there.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

verticaldoug
11-22-2016, 02:56 AM
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Features/One_Athlete_s_Midnight_Express_2886.html
One Athlete's Midnight Express

This is a story from 2012 in Dubai with triathlete Andrew Starykowicz.

My favorite is the business man being rear ended by a sheik at a stop light. Using local logic, if the businessman hadn't been in the country, his car wouldn't have been there, so there'd be no accident. Therefore, it is his fault and he is arrested.

I can only imagine how many fans will end in jail during the Qatar world cup. How will they handle the Brazilian fans in the stands for indecent exposure? It is one of my enduring memories from the 2002 World Cup in Japan.

fignon's barber
11-22-2016, 06:54 AM
Not to defend Qatar, but this doesn't hold up.

The World Cup was announced in 2010, the UCI Worlds were announced in 2012.

You're assuming bribes are handed out on the day of official public announcements. Probably not the case. My guess is the ball started rolling back when the tour of Qatar started. Quite a business plan: tour de Qatar>Worlds>Soccer WC.

tumbler
11-22-2016, 09:17 AM
This is pathetic. Unfortunately, the organizers want money and will lean heavily toward the country willing to pay the most (over or under the table). It would be nice if the riders could refuse to go to these places, but unlike the organizers, most of them actually *need* the money and are put in a difficult spot. The risks for male riders in these countries is also minimal, which makes it easier for the organizers to brush aside the very real risks that female riders face.