swoop-issimo?

taz-t
07-24-2006, 04:33 PM
It's reported elsewhere online but I can't find
an official link: Shrink-To-Fit Levi Leipheimer
re-signs with Disco, along with two other ESL
students atmo.

swoop-issimo?

Two other ESL's? hmmm, maybe Vandevelde? Couldn't be Horner or Freddie, could it? Interesting, but definitely the right direction if they want to continue being a focal point for US fans.

atmo
07-24-2006, 04:36 PM
Two other ESL's? hmmm, maybe Vandevelde? Couldn't be Horner or Freddie, could it? Interesting, but definitely the right direction if they want to continue being a focal point for US fans.
ESL as in ESL (http://www.esl.com) atmo.

Len J
07-24-2006, 04:42 PM
students atmo.

swoop-issimo?

Why sign someone who has consistantly demonstrated that he is unable to perform when it matters?

I like him but he has always struck me as someone who will outperform low expectations, but as soon as the expectations rise, he doesn't.

Plus, he's 33 years old..........his best days are either short or behind him.

I don't get this!

Len

taz-t
07-24-2006, 04:46 PM
ESL as in ESL (http://www.esl.com) atmo.

I'm an idiot ... I know ESL. For some reason I was thinking teaching ESL - not the other way around.

Guess I need a Coke to catch up.

- taz in World of Coke land

atmo
07-24-2006, 04:48 PM
I'm an idiot ... I know ESL. For some reason I was thinking teaching ESL - not the other way around.

Guess I need a Coke to catch up.

- taz in World of Coke land

it's a location joke -
ya' hadda be there then atmo!

taz-t
07-24-2006, 04:52 PM
it's a location joke -
ya' hadda be there then atmo!

Frustration
07-24-2006, 04:56 PM
Oh good!

Now the Discovery channel can expose the rest of non-cycling america to the bliss that comes from overestimating the value of a Vuelta Podium! :crap:

Fixed
07-24-2006, 06:17 PM
I like the cat I wish I could ride half as good.

GoJavs
07-24-2006, 07:00 PM
I thought Levi had a decent Tour. Yeah, the two time-trials and the one mountain stage were low points. But, he attacked more than he ever had and spent a decent amount of time on camera - almost won a stage too.

I don't see how he would make sense for Disco but a smaller team would love to have a guy that can win Dauphine, The Tour of Germany and still place Top 10 at the Tour...

Elefantino
07-24-2006, 07:28 PM
I think Levi's one breakaway sets him up as a GC contender next year.

Yours,
Bobke

atmo
07-25-2006, 06:51 AM
students atmo.

swoop-issimo?

there's a story here (http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCWhatsNewDetail.jsp?a=b&minisite=10029&refp=USHome&article=5552) atmo.

bpm
07-25-2006, 07:52 AM
Why sign someone who has consistantly demonstrated that he is unable to perform when it matters?

I like him but he has always struck me as someone who will outperform low expectations, but as soon as the expectations rise, he doesn't.

Plus, he's 33 years old..........his best days are either short or behind him.

I don't get this!

Len

He may not have performed "up to expectations" in the Tour but he did win the Tour of Germany last year, which wasn't exactly an easy race. He may still have some good racing days ahead of him. He won't likely win the Tour, but there's plenty of other races on the calendar.

bpm
07-25-2006, 08:06 AM
Oh yeah, I almost forgot, he also won the Dauphine in June. I don't really think you can call that underperforming.

Jason E
07-25-2006, 08:13 AM
I think it's cool. Levi has a good attitude, and though he has had better tours.... It's more then just about the Tour, and I think when he was in good form this July, He made it exciting by trying.

Now funny would be if Disco picked up Jan and Tyler, too!

RedCoeurd'Acier
07-25-2006, 08:16 AM
I remember him sayin earlier in the year, that he trained really really hard. If he goes back to discovery, they'll help him out. But then again, i think age is setting in against him.

atmo
07-25-2006, 08:19 AM
I think it's cool. Levi has a good attitude, and though he has had better tours.... It's more then just about the Tour, and I think when he was in good form this July, He made it exciting by trying.

Now funny would be if Disco picked up Jan and Tyler, too!
they would need to hire petsitters...

swoop
07-25-2006, 08:26 AM
I remember him sayin earlier in the year, that he trained really really hard. If he goes back to discovery, they'll help him out. But then again, i think age is setting in against him.

Levi was coached by Max Testa this year. i am willing to bet that this relationship will continue.

BumbleBeeDave
07-25-2006, 08:31 AM
. . . for his achievements. He seems to have always been a bit in Lance's shadow and performs well in races that are not in the spotlight that much for americans.

BBD

goonster
07-25-2006, 10:16 AM
I thought he was due for a bit of a breakout this year. He's always been pretty consistent, rarely losing big time in the mountains of the Grand Tours, and time trialing pretty well.

Gerolsteiner stuck with him for three years, but in the end they just expected more. The "dual leader" strategy with Totschnig was always doomed, and with Wegmann gunning for the early mountain points, and the emergence of Fothen, the focus of the team just wasn't there. Gerolsteiner seem like a decent team, with good morale, but they are basically all German speakers and it's got to be tough as the lone Murcan.

The time trial fiasco, due to illness, was just bad luck at a very bad time. His public image is definitely a little weird. In the interviews he's always got that deer-in-the-headlights look, and he seems very introverted. I'm sure he's got some Hunger (you don't get his palmares and position without any), but the camera doesn't pick it up.

The Dauphine Libere is nothing to sneeze at. These days it apparently counts against you when you win it, and everybody shorts your Tour stock, but that's a tough race with considerable competition.

He's got some results left in him yet, sez I.

fiamme red
07-25-2006, 10:21 AM
What will the Specialized Angel think of this treachery?

Fat Robert
07-25-2006, 10:35 AM
What will the Specialized Angel think of this treachery?

i volunteer to help console her and get her over this rough time

ClutchCargo
07-25-2006, 11:11 AM
i volunteer to help console her and get her over this rough time

You'd have better luck with DiDi atmo . . .

:D