PDA

View Full Version : Old gear vs new

stephenmarklay
11-19-2016, 11:20 AM
I’ve been riding 11 speed for couple of years and my memory of my old 8 speed chorus has diminished.

I am wondering how the shifting of Chorus 9 speed compares to the new stuff. I am looking at a bike with it but am concerned I would find it lacking.

Also as I consider the purchase what is the street value of a nice chorus 9 speed group with hubs? I am thinking 200-300?

Joachim
11-19-2016, 11:42 AM
With hubs will make a big difference since those can go for a pretty penny.

Ken Robb
11-19-2016, 12:21 PM
I have 9 speed Campy with 50-34 Ritchey cranks on my Strada Bianca and the shifting is perfect. I haven't tried 11 speed stuff so I can't really compare these systems but I can't see how 11 speed could be "better". It could feel a little different but I always get the gears I want with quick, clean shifts.

Ralph
11-19-2016, 12:45 PM
If you compare one well maintained 9 speed to a current 11 speed, I don't think the shifting itself has improved much...if any. Again...talking about well maintained and like new working parts.

Since I live where it's flat, I like having a lot of gears close together, and still have a reasonable high and low cog, so do prefer more gears. But if you don't mind changing your cassettes around some depending on where you are riding, don't think 11 speeds much improvement at all. All my buddies who just use one cassette for flat and hilly riding, don't even know how to change a cassette out and do minor shift adjustments.

Cicli
11-19-2016, 12:48 PM
Marketing will tell you its impossible to ride with only 9 gears.
But the reality is it still works really well.

tuscanyswe
11-19-2016, 01:33 PM
Its a nice group imo. You won't be limited performance wise by that groupset but your brain may tell you otherwise as you have started this thread for a reason. And if thats the case the battle is usually allrdy lost .)

with hubs? bit more than your prices imo.

stephenmarklay
11-19-2016, 01:55 PM
Thanks everyone. I do remember my 8 speed chorus as bike jewelry. I loved it and it has a special place in my heart. But it has been so long that I wondered if all that clouds my memory of its actual performance.

It does not sound like that is the case at a all.

Shoeman
11-19-2016, 05:01 PM
Marketing will tell you its impossible to ride with only 9 gears.
But the reality is it still works really well.

In the Good Old Days the Old-Timers would say all you really need is 5 Good Ones!!

sitzmark
11-19-2016, 05:38 PM
In the Good Old Days the Old-Timers would say all you really need is 5 Good Ones!!

Five ... I can do that in three. Next....

dave thompson
11-19-2016, 06:07 PM
Five ... I can do that in three. Next....

We don' need no steekin derailleurs!

El Chaba
11-19-2016, 06:08 PM
In my opinion, the Campagnolo Record and Chorus 9 speed era components are the finest that have ever been made...function...durability...aesthetics....they had it all...

merckx
11-19-2016, 06:30 PM
^^^^^

oldpotatoe
11-20-2016, 06:06 AM
I’ve been riding 11 speed for couple of years and my memory of my old 8 speed chorus has diminished.

I am wondering how the shifting of Chorus 9 speed compares to the new stuff. I am looking at a bike with it but am concerned I would find it lacking.

Also as I consider the purchase what is the street value of a nice chorus 9 speed group with hubs? I am thinking 200-300?

I think the biggest thing to consider is the comfort of the places where you touch the bike. Saddle, pedals, levers. Ergonomics of the latest ERGO is excellent, IMHO, better than the previous 2 designs but that is subjective, 100%.

Well adjusted stuff will shift up and down as you push the shift levers, whether it be 8/9/10/11s...