PDA

View Full Version : riding near Bishop, Ca?

onsight512
11-18-2016, 08:53 PM
My wife and I are going to take the kids bouldering outside of Bishop for a few days and I'm going to bring a bike.
I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any riding in the area? Paved &/or 'fire roads'.

Here's a shot of a friend of mine climbing. This photo is memorable for me as it's the most fear I've ever felt while I was spotting someone. :D

[img]https://c4.staticflickr.com/6/5339/30987382771_37a4e20fac_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Pdfrjc)

mhespenheide
11-18-2016, 11:26 PM
Aside from the obvious climb of 168 up to South Lake, Sabrina, and North Lake, you could take E Line/Poleta out to the Laws-Poleta Road, jog North, and then take Silver Canyon up into the Inyo's.

If you're willing to drive south to Big Pine, the climb on 168 east to Westgard Pass is fascinating, and offers the chance for still more climbing up the Bristlecone Pines Road. The Death Valley Road that branches off of 168 is also worth pursuing if you've got tires than can handle crappy pavement.

My favorite ride in the area, though, leaves from Round Valley (about 10 minutes north of Bishop on 395) and climbs Lower Rock Creek up to Tom's Place, and then Upper Rock Creek to Mosquito Flats. I don't know if the upper part of that road is closed off for the season, though. That's a killer climb and fabulous descent. The climb from Round Valley up Pine Creek is a stout training ride if you don't have as much time. And Round Valley can be accessed from Bishop via West Line/Ed Powers/Sawmill/South Round Valley Rd., if you don't want to drive. That would be a big day on the bike, though! ~80 miles round trip, ~6000' gain.

ptourkin
11-19-2016, 07:35 AM
White Mountain is a great climb. The paved section brings you from 4,000 up to 10,000. You can keep going past that, too on fatter tires but I don't know if it is doable this time of year. I've already seen pics of snow.

Ken Robb
11-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Check to see how high you can go before running into snow. Mammoth is open for skiing I think.

maxn
11-19-2016, 01:32 PM
Is that Black Magic?

onsight512
11-19-2016, 03:08 PM
Is that Black Magic?

good eye. yes, that's Black Magic.

and thanks everyone for the suggestions. i can't wait to get back up there.