PDA

View Full Version : BMC Bikes

cpg
07-24-2006, 12:42 PM
So who will consider buying a BMC bike now? Would you have considered it before Floyd's tour win?

Curt

David Kirk
07-24-2006, 12:45 PM
I'm in.........all that stands between me and a Tour win is that bike and a bad hip.

Dave

atmo
07-24-2006, 12:50 PM
this (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7428487200380416428) is what hip is atmo.

BoulderGeek
07-24-2006, 12:52 PM
I think they are very cool. Really distinctive when you see one in person.

Easton "nanotechnology" nanotube carbon matrix. A little more than an Orbea Orca, if I recall correctly. Stiff and sprint-worthy.

I might not use it as my street weapon of choice for just riding around, but for genuine racing, I'm sure it would be more than adequate.

Archibald
07-24-2006, 12:56 PM
I have had the opportunity to ride a few of their different models. They are surprisingly well behaved and nice riding despite their unusual design. I would not buy any bike or component based on what a current pro rides. We have different requirements and incentives.

jasont
07-24-2006, 01:01 PM
I've always thought they were so unusual looking they were cool. Different is good, IMO. I liked the Swiss paint job they offered a couple of years ago.

I'd buy one.

Marcusaurelius
07-24-2006, 01:04 PM
So who will consider buying a BMC bike now? Would you have considered it before Floyd's tour win?

Curt

Well given their bikes have a 69mm bottom bracket drop I'd say no. I prefer a low bottom bracket height or 8cm bottom bracket drop.

chrisroph
07-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Like most bikes, I am sure they go fast with the proper motor. 69mm drop is too little to make me happy.

So, on stage 16 when Floyd cracked, he was putting out 245 watts on the climbs, which would put him firmly in decently strong cat 4 territory. Then, in stage 17, he was cranking out 425 watts, firmly in really strong freaky mofo territory. The difference a day can make.

Endless Goods
07-24-2006, 01:49 PM
At $3800 a pop for f/f, they wont be spawning like the 5200, etc.

Ginger
07-24-2006, 01:50 PM
I'm in.........all that stands between me and a Tour win is that bike and a bad hip.

Dave
Whoa! I've got the bad hip, so all I need is the bike?

Kahuna
07-24-2006, 02:40 PM
If I only had a spare fifteen grand....

coylifut
07-24-2006, 02:40 PM
I live in an area that's gotta have as many bike shops than anywhere and what lines those shops carry, has a very large influence on what people ride. So, if one of the local mega shops starts distributing the BMC at a recreational level price point, I'll see em around.

Separately, I'd never pay $4k for a frame without one of those seatmast/integrated-post deally bobs. :rolleyes:

Archibald
07-24-2006, 02:45 PM
If I only had a spare fifteen grand....An exceptional design very reminiscent of the old Look TT bikes.

swoop
07-24-2006, 02:55 PM
Like most bikes, I am sure they go fast with the proper motor. 69mm drop is too little to make me happy.

So, on stage 16 when Floyd cracked, he was putting out 245 watts on the climbs, which would put him firmly in decently strong cat 4 territory. Then, in stage 17, he was cranking out 425 watts, firmly in really strong freaky mofo territory. The difference a day can make.

um.. relating wattage to category doesn't work. 245 is not much in any category. watts per kilo is more significant and meaningful. even then it's only one data point (or two).

most crits aren't about constant wattage... but about wattage spikes and accelerations accumulated over time on top of a constant range of wattage. and also about the recovery in between those efforts.
a little knwoledge is _________.

OldDog
07-24-2006, 02:57 PM

Curt

Give me a Weigle, a Goodrich, a Sachs, a TK Spectrum, a Tweedy "Palmares".

All lugged. All steel. All the time. I'm forever stuck in the good old days...but if I was to spring for a carbon bike, it would be a C-50. Horizontal TT and lugged. Hey, at least it's carbon.

Lifelover
07-24-2006, 03:11 PM
They are super cool looking but I look silly on a race bike. If my son(s) ever got serious about riding I would consider getting one for them. Used at 1/2 price or less of course.

Climb01742
07-24-2006, 03:15 PM

if only i had a spare 1000 watts. :D

OldDog
07-24-2006, 03:20 PM
if only i had a spare 1000 watts. :D

wattwattwattwattwatwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwat twattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattw attwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwatwattwattwattwatt watwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwat twattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattw attwattwattwattwat
wattwattwattwattwatwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwat twattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattw attwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwatwattwattwattwatt watwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwat twattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattw attwattwattwattwatwattwattwattwattwatwattwattwattw attwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwat twattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattw atwattwattwattwattwatwattwattwattwattwattwattwattw attwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwat twattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwat
wattwattwattwattwatwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwat twattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattw attwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwatwattwattwattwatt watwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwat twattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattw attwattwattwattwatwattwattwattwattwatwattwattwattw attwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwat twattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattw atwattwattwattwattwatwattwattwattwattwattwattwattw attwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwat twattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwat
wattwattwattwattwatwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwat twattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattw attwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwatwattwattwattwatt watwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwat twattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattwattw attwattwattwattwat

Smiley
07-24-2006, 03:20 PM
I'd take a 650 B wheel bike just like the one you built for dbrk any time over that piece of plastic . You gotta be a stud to go downhill that fast with a 6.9 cm BB drop , I'll take 8 cm anyday and I aint no stud :)

stevep
07-24-2006, 04:38 PM
money says its the first taiwanese bike to win the tour.

chrisroph
07-24-2006, 04:40 PM
um.. relating wattage to category doesn't work. 245 is not much in any category. watts per kilo is more significant and meaningful. even then it's only one data point (or two).

most crits aren't about constant wattage... but about wattage spikes and accelerations accumulated over time on top of a constant range of wattage. and also about the recovery in between those efforts.
a little knwoledge is _________.

Gee, this is a bit snotty. We all know Floyd weighs about 150 and the readings were steady state climbing. Does that help?

Serotta_Andrew
07-24-2006, 04:49 PM
money says its the first taiwanese bike to win the tour.

but... but... Pucc.. it is Swiss cycling technology!!!!!!

Frustration
07-24-2006, 04:49 PM
Easton should call what they do Nada Tech...

If they used the appropriate amount of carbon Nano tubes to do the job, the frame would cost more than twice what it does and they would have a frame that would at least compete with the Scott CR-1 (made from "plane old Carbon) in weight...

zap
07-24-2006, 05:19 PM
I'd take a 650 B wheel bike just like the one you built for dbrk any time over that piece of plastic . You gotta be a stud to go downhill that fast with a 6.9 cm BB drop , I'll take 8 cm anyday and I aint no stud :)

Smiley, have you ridden one? A carbon BMC that is.

Smiley
07-24-2006, 05:33 PM
not interested anymore in racing geometry frames , high BB and short wheel bases and even shorter chainstays don't do it for me anymore , fact is I don't think it ever did it for me as I was too stupid to know better.

the answer to zap's question ,

ps: I loved my old mini van so that has to tell u something about my likes anymore

07-24-2006, 06:03 PM
I owned one of the SLT-01's (the prior top model) and when I had a fluky warranty issue, they replaced it very gracefully and instantaneously with one of the new all-carbon models.

I have to say, first, that this is probably the nicest riding bike I've ever been on. Extremely stiff and responsive laterally, but vertically it's remarkably comfortable on chipseal, etc. The bike carves turns superbly and would give reliable and responsive steering at remarkable levels of heel. I have a photo shot from behind of me going through a turn at a crit where you can measure a clear 30 degree heel (and see two riders sliding their bikes out right next to me), but the bike steered right through it.

The internal cable routing is a slight pain, but they pre-rig it with internal tubing so it doesn't take too much effort. It does assume you cross your shifter cable housings in front of the head tube and then uncross the cables inside the downtube. Works fine, but do be aware it needs a tad more cable housing -- if you don't, it's a pain when you try to turn the bars hard over when packing the bike in your car.

Finish is first rate. The replaceable rear derailleur tab needed a slight bit of filing to fit perfectly, and the bottom bracket shifter cable guide needs a bit of trimming with a razor blade to work perfectly, but any shop selling them will get these right for you immediately -- it was just a learning process.

Compared to C-40's, C-50's, a couple carbon Serottas, and most of the other carbon frames out there today, this bike outperforms them in terms of handling and race-ability. It expects you to manage it -- it's not twitchy but it doesn't just give you a long wheelbase, slack head, and ultra-low bottom bracket. But it gave me an extra mile or two per hour over any other road frame I'd ridden.

The warranty issue, you ask? On the SLT-01 in a 49 size only, the two head lugs have to be ground down on their facing edges, because of the short head tube. The ground edges didn't get refinished properly so the aluminum wouldn't corrode in the presence of epoxy, so a line of flaking started on the back side of the head tube. I had a replacement frame in three weeks (would have had it in three days except that they offered a free upgrade to the new model, which of course gets rid of the aluminum lugs altogether). I don't have the new frame any longer, only because the top tube is a bit short on the 49 and the 51 was just too big (the way they measure framesets is a bit misleading so it helps actually to stand over one). Too bad, because I haven't found a bike that rides as well (and that includes a lot of steel from superb builders including Dario, Richard, and Tom). I highly recommend the frame.

ergott
07-24-2006, 07:22 PM
I owned one of the SLT-01's (the prior top model) and when I had a fluky warranty issue, they replaced it very gracefully and instantaneously with one of the new all-carbon models.

I have to say, first, that this is probably the nicest riding bike I've ever been on. Extremely stiff and responsive laterally, but vertically it's remarkably comfortable on chipseal, etc. The bike carves turns superbly and would give reliable and responsive steering at remarkable levels of heel. I have a photo shot from behind of me going through a turn at a crit where you can measure a clear 30 degree heel (and see two riders sliding their bikes out right next to me), but the bike steered right through it.

The internal cable routing is a slight pain, but they pre-rig it with internal tubing so it doesn't take too much effort. It does assume you cross your shifter cable housings in front of the head tube and then uncross the cables inside the downtube. Works fine, but do be aware it needs a tad more cable housing -- if you don't, it's a pain when you try to turn the bars hard over when packing the bike in your car.

Finish is first rate. The replaceable rear derailleur tab needed a slight bit of filing to fit perfectly, and the bottom bracket shifter cable guide needs a bit of trimming with a razor blade to work perfectly, but any shop selling them will get these right for you immediately -- it was just a learning process.

Compared to C-40's, C-50's, a couple carbon Serottas, and most of the other carbon frames out there today, this bike outperforms them in terms of handling and race-ability. It expects you to manage it -- it's not twitchy but it doesn't just give you a long wheelbase, slack head, and ultra-low bottom bracket. But it gave me an extra mile or two per hour over any other road frame I'd ridden.

The warranty issue, you ask? On the SLT-01 in a 49 size only, the two head lugs have to be ground down on their facing edges, because of the short head tube. The ground edges didn't get refinished properly so the aluminum wouldn't corrode in the presence of epoxy, so a line of flaking started on the back side of the head tube. I had a replacement frame in three weeks (would have had it in three days except that they offered a free upgrade to the new model, which of course gets rid of the aluminum lugs altogether). I don't have the new frame any longer, only because the top tube is a bit short on the 49 and the 51 was just too big (the way they measure framesets is a bit misleading so it helps actually to stand over one). Too bad, because I haven't found a bike that rides as well (and that includes a lot of steel from superb builders including Dario, Richard, and Tom). I highly recommend the frame.

Damn! That review means a hellava lot more to me than Floyd winning on it (no offence Floyd). I appreciate the in depth review.

Ray
07-24-2006, 07:37 PM
The BMC is one of the only super-modern carbon bikes that I really like the looks of. It's so honestly over the top industrial that it sort of appeals to me. But its a pure-bred racer and my position and legs aren't such that I can get very much out of a pure bred racer. I'm way too happy with the customs I already have to be spending big money on off-the-shelf frames that can't possibly lead to more enjoyment of riding than what I'm already getting. But if someone wants to donate a 58 for a highly unworthy cause, I promise I'd build it up and ride it several times before (probably) deciding I don't like it enough to keep.

-Ray

ada@prorider.or
07-24-2006, 07:39 PM

yes and the time trail won
with old guy good legs and cheap frame though

yeehawfactor
07-24-2006, 07:58 PM
cool bikes. they've been getting a good bit of interest around here of late. two went out last year, and the respective owners are still grinning ear to ear.........

dbrk
07-24-2006, 08:18 PM
I rode one of the top of the liners for a coupla' months last year. It really rode nicely, I must say, and with slack angles I fit nicely. The short wheelbase and high bb were noticeable only when you compared it to a bike built more...uhhh...sensibly. But people get used to anything in just a few turns.

I was willing to give the looks a chance, but in the end I thought it sure was ugly. Darn ugly. Just one of those really distinctive looks that cannot get better or easier on the eyes. You get used to it, like the way those goofy Pinarello forks look or...uh...slopers or whatever is in fashion. But for me it just didn't make the cut.

dbrk

Johny
07-24-2006, 08:20 PM
... because I haven't found a bike that rides as well (and that includes a lot of steel from superb builders including Dario, Richard, and Tom). I highly recommend the frame.

Now I want it. :)

Vanilla Gorilla
07-25-2006, 02:24 AM
I live in an area that's gotta have as many bike shops than anywhere and what lines those shops carry, has a very large influence on what people ride. So, if one of the local mega shops starts distributing the BMC at a recreational level price point, I'll see em around.

Separately, I'd never pay $4k for a frame without one of those

seatmast/integrated-post deally bobs. :rolleyes:

Dude the bike gallery has/had those last year.... :banana: Yyo-