PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo down tube cable stops

huck*this
11-18-2016, 08:25 AM
Hey guys,

Have the Campagnolo down tube cable stops and the black plastic cable bosses kind of bother me. IDK why just when I look down and see plastic I try to look up quickly. haha I know I'm probably crazy but is it possible to get other bosses in place that fit. Brass would be nice or even Ti? Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Cheers! Pic of the bosses below.

http://www.totalcycling.com/Images/Models/Full/18936.Jpg

Caballero
11-18-2016, 08:39 AM
Those pieces are black ano. Aluminum right ?

huck*this
11-18-2016, 08:41 AM
Those pieces are black ano. Aluminum right ?

It believe the one in the pic are I'm not at home to take a picture of the exact ones on the bike.

maslow
11-18-2016, 08:43 AM
Hiya, if you're referring to the same alloy cable stops in your attached picture, the black knurled adjusters are also made from alloy (unless campagnolo have now changed them to plastic). I use them on several steel frames and they certainly don't feel it look cheap IMO. Perhaps on a modern carbon bike they might look out of place but I'd imagine most carbon frames have stops built in.

Not sure if it would work but Dave Kirk produces some neat brass cable stops... Perhaps they could work with the silver alloy base section of Campagnolo's stops (although I'm not sure if campags are M5 ?)

http://kirkframeworks.com/models-and-accessories/brass-derailleur-adjusters/

huck*this
11-18-2016, 08:45 AM
Hiya, if you're referring to the same alloy cable stops in your attached picture, the black knurled adjusters are also made from alloy (unless campagnolo have now changed them to plastic).

Not sure if it would work but Dave Kirk produces some neat brass cable stops... Perhaps they could work with the silver alloy base section of Campagnolo's stops (although I'm not sure if campags are M5 ?)

http://kirkframeworks.com/models-and-accessories/brass-derailleur-adjusters/

Yes those are the ones I have my eyes on just wanted to see if anyone can confirm they would fit.

Anarchist
11-18-2016, 08:48 AM
Yes those are the ones I have my eyes on just wanted to see if anyone can confirm they would fit.

Send Dave Kirk an email and ask him.

oldpotatoe
11-18-2016, 08:52 AM

They won't..the black alloy knobs on the Campag cable stops have a really small OD threaded portion and I think proprietary to boot.

huck*this
11-18-2016, 08:54 AM
They won't..the black alloy knobs on the Campag cable stops have a really small OD threaded portion and I think proprietary to boot.

Nuff said.

maslow
11-18-2016, 09:08 AM
I'd be interested to know if this works as well. I'll try dismantling one of the campag stops over the weekend. I've no way of measuring the thread on the campag adjuster other then trying it in some other M5 threaded hole (ie a bottle boss). At a guess I'd say it's more like an M4.

maslow
11-18-2016, 09:11 AM

You beat me to it.... But yes I think the OD thread will be too small.

cadence90
11-18-2016, 10:01 AM

You beat me to it.... But yes I think the OD thread will be too small.

+1 and +2. No go. Definitely not.

To be certain, I just tried to switch my Paragon stainless steel (same diameter as the Kirk brass, I'm pretty sure) adjusters from my Kish (with Paragon ti bosses) into the Campa cable stops on my Pegoretti: they do not fit, not even close.

My Paragon SS adjusters are these:
https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=CS1013

https://www.paragonmachineworks.com/PDGImages/CS1013.jpg

As the spud-maestro previously stated (and is he ever wrong??) the Campa adjuster diameter is definitely smaller than the Paragon/Kirk.

The Paragon SS (and I assume the brass Kirks) adjusters are M5 x 0.8, so the Campa must be M4, or some other proprietary diameter/threading.

EDIT: @ huck*this:
100% certain that Campagnolo produced those very cable bosses/adjusters, exactly like those in the image you attached in your post #1, in both black and silver, but probably always mixed.

I am looking right now at silver bosses + black adjusters (as in your photo) installed on my Pegoretti. I plan to switch those to black/black with the black bosses + silver adjusters set, in a sealed Campa bag, that I am holding in my hand right now.

My sealed Campa bag (with typical blue cursive "Campagnolo" script running diagonally up the bag), with black bosses and silver adjusters (since you want silver adjusters), has the following code numbers on small white labels:

FRONT:
Campagnolo

BACK:

I hope that helps. :beer:

Cheers.

Hindmost
11-18-2016, 10:13 AM
The Paragon SS (and I assume the brass Kirks) adjusters are M5 x 0.8, so the Campa must be M4, or some other proprietary diameter/threading.

If a person has their heart set on this I am thinking that the Campy stops can be drilled and tapped for the larger-threaded adjusters.

cadence90
11-18-2016, 10:36 AM
If a person has their heart set on this I am thinking that the Campy stops can be drilled and tapped for the larger-threaded adjusters.

Why bother, when one can buy and combine (match) 2 original black/silver and silver/black sets, and then sell the other (all-silver or all-black), new and matched set, if desired.
PITA to drill/tap that stuff.