PDA

View Full Version : Italian or???

SoCalSteve
07-24-2006, 12:06 PM
Hi all,

Does this bike look like it was made in Italy or Taiwan? Is carbon work done like this in Italy?

Does it look like a kit? Anyone ever hear of this company? "Moon"

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

atmo
07-24-2006, 12:07 PM
they spelled LOOK wrong atmo

OldDog
07-24-2006, 12:10 PM
It's either the markings on the bike or the busy flagstone work, but I get edgy just looking at that thing.

Climb01742
07-24-2006, 12:10 PM
could use another sticker or two.

Russell
07-24-2006, 12:12 PM
It's either the markings on the bike or the busy flagstone work, but I get edgy just looking at that thing.
i think it was made in hell

OldDog
07-24-2006, 12:14 PM
I think Frank Zappa's daughter in getting into the biz.

dbrk
07-24-2006, 12:18 PM
The venerable DeRosa has resorted to this silliness as well. Then again, I'm hardpressed to think of any really contemporary bike, especially like those at the recent Tour, that I think looks even remotely "good." To each his or her own, I suppose. DeRosa, to their credit, still makes the NeoPrimato, albeit almost entirely for the American "nostalgia" market, much like the current Merckx Corsa---both of which are the only two bikes in respective line ups that I'd want to own.

dbrk

OldDog
07-24-2006, 12:29 PM
DeRosa, to their credit, still makes the NeoPrimato, albeit almost entirely for the American "nostalgia" market, much like the current Merckx Corsa---both of which are the only two bikes in respective line ups that I'd want to own.

dbrk

ditto.

fiamme red
07-24-2006, 12:32 PM
Ouch! My eyes hurt.

SoCalSteve
07-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Thank you all for your great commentaries...

Can anyone answer the questions???

Thanks,

Steve

Serpico
07-24-2006, 12:34 PM
http://www.droxy.com/media/2006/02/nascar-logo.jpg

zank
07-24-2006, 12:44 PM
That looks like a Deda DCS kit. Don't know where it was glued together though.

Archibald
07-24-2006, 12:49 PM
Thank you all for your great commentaries...

Can anyone answer the questions???

Thanks,

Steve
I wonder if it has any relation to Richard Moon though it is far from his usual work. It does says Dedacciai in big letters on the chainstay which would be unusual for a bike built in Taiwan.

atmo
07-24-2006, 12:51 PM
I wonder if it has any relation to Richard Moon though it is far from his usual work. It does says Dedacciai in big letters on the chainstay which would be unusual for a bike built in Taiwan.
it's from the dark side of the moon atmo.

dbrk
07-24-2006, 12:54 PM
Can anyone answer the questions??? Steve

Those DeRosas are made in Italy and so too their Prontos, in fact, likely all the DeRosas are made in their factory. So part of the answer to your question is that, yes, there are carbon bikes laid up/glued in Italy. That said, I think it makes no difference where it was glued and finished though "Made in Italy" can also mean "Conceived by a company with the desire for an Italian sense of identity" and litte more, nttawwt (not an Italian acronym, just one I made up).

I think Zank is right: this looks like a Deda kit, but there's plenty out there built from kits that ride like carbon and seemingly hold together. I've owned a share of carbon bikes, including one that is revered as among the very, very best, and I can't for the life of me say I think there's a lick of difference materials-wise in the rides. Designs, yes. Materials, no. But my brain may be made of ferrous.

This "Moon" brand is not Richard Moon but that's plenty of help, right? All sorts of stuff doesn't make it here. Take Koga-Miyata, who still make some decent looking bikes or at least bikes, and while they have all sorts of Euro presence, none in north America. Ditto for Dawes, maybe Decathalon too, and others that provide the bulk of production bikes in Europe.

more commentary, less help, need a ride,
dbrk

victoryfactory
07-24-2006, 12:59 PM
Pro race bikes always seem to have way too much graphics (like race cars)
What I find most jarring are the wheels. Deep profile carbon wheels may
work great, but their width overpowers the frame tubes and gives me vertigo.

VF

pale scotsman
07-24-2006, 01:02 PM
That top tube sure looks like the one Fondriest used on their top carbon.

jasont
07-24-2006, 01:04 PM
The venerable DeRosa has resorted to this silliness as well. Then again, I'm hardpressed to think of any really contemporary bike, especially like those at the recent Tour, that I think looks even remotely "good." To each his or her own, I suppose. DeRosa, to their credit, still makes the NeoPrimato, albeit almost entirely for the American "nostalgia" market, much like the current Merckx Corsa---both of which are the only two bikes in respective line ups that I'd want to own.

dbrk

Agree. I love DeRosas but that is a f-in goofy-looking bike. Different is not good in this case. Yikes.

SoCalSteve
07-24-2006, 01:13 PM
A bit of an explanation (if anyone cares...)

My wife (bless her soul) has a dear friend who is Italian. This friend (male) has an Italian girlfriend (female-for anyone keeping score) who has a cousin who builds bicycles in Italy. (have I lost you yet?)

That picture came from my wife's friend. I was just curious to see how "Italian" it really is.

As for all the commentary... yeah, it's pretty ugly. But, if you look beyond all the decals and stickers, it has the makings of a pretty cool carbon frame.

And yes, my first impression is that it is a kit.

Thanks for reading, :banana:

Steve